Old 11-07-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I think the problem is, exactly when is this "real and viable midcard" supposed to wrestle without it turning into a bathroom break?
Given the talent of women wrestlers nowadays, it won't need to BE a bathroom break. I've been to two Mae Young Classics...there are PLENTY of women wrestlers who have exciting talent to merit an intriguing midcard.

Besides, the midcard is a bathroom break regardless of if it's male or female. Having a larger female roster just slightly prevents the next major PPV women's match be filled with Alexa/Bayley/Sasha/Charlotte/and sometimes Nia. I'm so bored with them.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

I disagree, Sir T-Cups. The problem with the women's mid-card is that same as the problem with the men's mid-card, and even in the men's upper card. Vince, who still has final say on everything, is out of touch. That's why NXT is good top-to-bottom, could expand to two hours and still fill it out with compelling stories. Instead, on the main card, they bury mid-card talent for months on end, then expect you to care when they elevate them (see "Dolph Ziggler"). It wasn't always like this. You could create compelling stories of wrestlers jockeying for position for title shots and personal grudges without replaying Sasha/Bailey/Natalya vs Riott Squad (look, we're cool because we have two "t"s) for the umpteenth time. Instead, it's just 'watch this match again with no reason to care'. Why is Lashley feuding with Balor? What does it mean? We don't know, and no one is bothering to say anything. Instead, it's just more filler.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I disagree, Sir T-Cups. The problem with the women's mid-card is that same as the problem with the men's mid-card, and even in the men's upper card. Vince, who still has final say on everything, is out of touch. That's why NXT is good top-to-bottom, could expand to two hours and still fill it out with compelling stories. Instead, on the main card, they bury mid-card talent for months on end, then expect you to care when they elevate them (see "Dolph Ziggler"). It wasn't always like this. You could create compelling stories of wrestlers jockeying for position for title shots and personal grudges without replaying Sasha/Bailey/Natalya vs Riott Squad (look, we're cool because we have two "t"s) for the umpteenth time. Instead, it's just 'watch this match again with no reason to care'. Why is Lashley feuding with Balor? What does it mean? We don't know, and no one is bothering to say anything. Instead, it's just more filler.
All true facts, but that still doesn't prove why there shouldn't be a women's midcard. I don't care if it sucks as badly as the men, at least they're there.

I'll also slightly push back on bringing up NXT as a comparison. You can't compare the two products because they are vastly different products with vastly different structures. It's not as dramatic as a full apples-to-oranges comparison, but it's more like a red delicious to granny smith apples in comparison. They're alike enough to be called apples, but different enough in pretty much every other way.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:29 PM

Despite years of producing wrestling, WWE doesn't always produce masterpieces, of course. Sometimes they throw something out there to see if it gets any heat. Finn vs Lashley may not be over, but sometimes they'll tweak things here and there to see if gets any better audience reactions. Sometimes they strike gold, like the time they had Elias and KO together in Seattle. All they had to do was mention Seattle's basketball team moving and they got booed for 10 minutes. Then KO had to have surgery, they turned Elias face, and we won't see that lightning in a bottle again.

LU had their season finale, and among other things, they introduced Shaul Guerrero as the new ring announcer. She's the daughter of Eddie and Vickie. Famous B came out to shoo her away, and she grabbed the mic and screamed "EXCUSE ME!" just like her mom. Then Chavo came in and they beat up on Famous B. Shaul gave him the Three Amigos and Chavo dropped a Frog Splash on him, working a nice tribute to Eddie.

Another WWE reference came at the end of the show. After Jake Strong won the LU title, he made his way to the mysterious limo where Dario had been making deals with a shadowy figure who smoked a cigar. I think we speculated last season that it would be a Baron Samedi knockoff. But, the shadowy figure leaned into the light, said "I've got some bad news for you," and it was Wade Barrett! I was hoping he'd come back somewhere. The premise is that Aztec gods are now inhabiting bodies of wrestlers so they can bring The Apocalypse.

Plus, Aerostar asked Johnny Mundo for the Gauntlet of the Gods, gave it to Black Lotus, and she tore out Matanza's heart. Aerostar also got the two halves of the medallion fused back together, and he brought Dario back from the dead. Lot other shit happened.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
All true facts, but that still doesn't prove why there shouldn't be a women's midcard. I don't care if it sucks as badly as the men, at least they're there.

I'll also slightly push back on bringing up NXT as a comparison. You can't compare the two products because they are vastly different products with vastly different structures. It's not as dramatic as a full apples-to-oranges comparison, but it's more like a red delicious to granny smith apples in comparison. They're alike enough to be called apples, but different enough in pretty much every other way.
I would posit it is not that different a product, as they are preparing people for the main roster. It's just that Vince has been hands-off on NXT. Vince simply can no longer feel the pulse of the crowd. And from what little I can see, neither does Shane nor Stephanie. I will admit, though, it is a lot easier to appease a smaller base of knowledgeable fans, versus the larger base of casual fans that the main roster tries to reach. As for building a mid-card for women specifically - they barely build a mid-card for men (and then we hear about Vince complaining about why they aren't getting over). I think to try to build a better women's mid-card, given how bad WWE is at it, might do more harm than good as they continue to build the women's brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Despite years of producing wrestling, WWE doesn't always produce masterpieces, of course. Sometimes they throw something out there to see if it gets any heat. Finn vs Lashley may not be over, but sometimes they'll tweak things here and there to see if gets any better audience reactions. Sometimes they strike gold, like the time they had Elias and KO together in Seattle. All they had to do was mention Seattle's basketball team moving and they got booed for 10 minutes. Then KO had to have surgery, they turned Elias face, and we won't see that lightning in a bottle again.
Elias, because of how good he is at getting the crowd behind and/or booing him, is one of the very few mid-carders who can be buried in matches yet still remain relevant. Personally, I think he should remain a tweener rather than becoming face. And if the women's division doesn't realize how over Bekkah is and book her that way (bad-ass face), they'll lose her momentum too. As for Finn/Lashley not getting heat, that's again on WWE. A 2-second backstage snub leads to a feud? The payoff fizzled, but Bailey vs. Sasha at least built their story over time. It made sense. It had meaning. I agree, everything won't work, but at least try.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
LU had their season finale, and among other things, they introduced Shaul Guerrero as the new ring announcer. She's the daughter of Eddie and Vickie.
And she's married to Aiden English.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
And she's married to Aiden English.
Yes, and I get the feeling he's going to show up in Season 5 since he doesn't seem to have any relevance after the break with Rusev.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:43 AM

Stephanie's wish list and thoughts on the women's division

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...iams/23585300/
Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Daniel Bryan has won back the WWE Championship!

Yes! Yes! YES!
Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 AM

My out of left field prediction, Daniel Bryan walks out of Survivor Series victorious and a Paul Heyman Guy.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino View Post
My out of left field prediction, Daniel Bryan walks out of Survivor Series victorious and a Paul Heyman Guy.
Ehhh, I don't see it happening. WWE seems to have abandoned the concept of "Paul Heyman guys" after the end of Rybaxel, and Bryan is the kind of guy who doesn't need a manager to get him over.

Brock vs. Bryan has me legitimately interested in this show, though, because it really could go either way. If they'd done it at Summerslam 2014, like they were originally going to do before Bryan got hurt, it would've made perfect sense for Brock to squash Bryan the same way he ultimately did to Cena at that show. Now, however, since Brock's lost a shit-ton of weight due to the fact that USADA is testing him and he isn't on steroids anymore, it feels like a much more even fight.

This'll probably be Brock's only match between now and when he inevitably drops the belt at 'Mania (hopefully to Braun Strowman). He doesn't really need to win here - losing to someone on Bryan's level won't make him any less credible, and as a new champ Bryan needs the win to show that his victory wasn't just a fluke.

So I hope Bryan wins, heel turn or not, because he's my hometown boy and I'm gonna be cheering for him no matter what.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 AM

WWE has been anything but predictable this week.

Becky Lynch is no longer representing SD vs Ronda Rowsey, because she ate Nia Jax's elbow and broke her face. Nevertheless, she kept going in the melee, wearing the Crimson Mask. She then put up a picture on her twitter and called it "Irish War Paint." She then appeared on SD with half her face purple, but still acted like she owned the place. I got hit in the face with a baseball in high school, and I cried like a little bitch. She passed her SS duties on to Charlotte, which I like because Charlotte has her dad's ring savvy and knows what to do even when she doesn't. I would like to have seen Asuka take on Ronda because it would have looked more violent, but maybe some day.

I wonder why they decided to have Daniel Bryan instead of AJ take on Brock? I'm pretty sure it's going to be 15 minutes of DBD selling suplexes followed by a couple minutes of Yes kicks and then Brock comes back with a few F-5s and a win, like every other Brock Lesnar match. They even took AJ out of MMC. Did he get on somebody's shit list all the sudden, or did they just decide not to repeat last year's match? It would have been Roman vs AJ if not for leukemia.

The 10 on 10 (really 11 on 12) tag match is going to be a clusterfuck with the undercard teams bound to get eliminated in short order. I do look forward to Murphy vs Ali and Seth vs Shinsuke, but I have a feeling those matches are going to be shortened. The 5 on 5 men's match could have some weird shit, like Braun turning on the RAM team, and/or Dolph getting his heat back by pinning Shane. I just hope they don't make everybody wear brand shirts this year. Looks too corporate.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:36 PM

Becky is just the internet's queen now, huh?

They definitely have an iron-clad storyline with her now...let's hope they do good with it.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:01 PM

15 minutes of Daniel Bryan selling suplexes? Like Brock Lesnar can really be bothered to "wrestle" for 15 minutes.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Gotta give props to Cedrick Alexander vs Lio Rush on the latest 205L. Ced hit Lio with the Lungblower, and Lio somehow bounced 5 feet in the air off Ced's knees. It was a work of art.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

D-R-E-A-M Dream! This is how one books a match!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
D-R-E-A-M Dream! This is how one books a match!
This is the first time Iíve watched Takeover. These last two matches were crazy good, and the main event hasnít even started yet!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Takeover is always the better night. Survivor Series won't be this fun not this good.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Takeover is always the better night. Survivor Series won't be this fun not this good.
Iíll definitely have to keep watching them.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Bayzler/Sane was nonsense. They took what should have been a ring classic and turned it into a schmozzfest to build a six-woman-tag that doesn't need to happen.

Aside from that, though, this show was gold.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:19 AM

War Games 2018 did not disappoint. Lots of ring psychology and plot twists. A few blown spots, but they managed to smooth their way through it.

Some Mauro bon mots:

"Ricochet planned retribution but he got scuttled by Cole" - clever pun on coal scuttle
"O'Reilly is looking to deskeletize Rowe like O'Reilly was a piranha and Rowe was a water buffalo!"
"All four members of the Undisputed Era with more chemistry than a science fair!"
"Teamwork makes the dream work!"
"Dunne would like to set a table for four - preferably the Undisputed Era four!"
"Dunne may be a vegetarian but he has a propensity for finger food!"
"Cirque de Ricochet in Full Effect!"
"Ricochet is NXT's cheat code!"
Referring to the area between the ropes of the adjoining rings as "The alleyway of brutality" - actually, that was Nigel's.

Favorite spots

6 of the combatants are RoH alumni, as well as one of the commentators, Nigel.
Ricochet, Dunne and the War Raiders wear identical war paint.
Hanson and Rowe preempt Dunne from entering the match, leading to something bad happening to them later for their impatience.
Roderick Strong's trifecta of two Urinagis and a Lung Blower on Ricochet.
When Bobby Fish is released from his cage, he sticks his hand in Dunne's. Dunne falls into the "must break fingers" daze. Fish takes advantage and pulls Dunne face first into the bars, stunning him so that Fish could put his lock on Dunne's cage and throw away the key.
When Dunne is finally released, he doesn't charge into the cage bezerk. Instead, he takes time to throw PLUNDAH into the cage.
Hanson traps Cole in a trash can, and Rowe throws Hanson's massive body on top.
O'Reilly has Ricochet trapped in a triangle choke while on top of a table, and Hanson does a splash off the top rope to break the hold and the table. Someone that size shouldn't be able to do that kind of shit.
The 7-man suplex, followed by Ricochet's 630 Splash off the top of the cage.
Frenemies Dunne and Ricochet double pin Cole, then hold their belts and stare warily at each other on top of the cage while everyone else wallows in agony below.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Bayzler/Sane was nonsense. They took what should have been a ring classic and turned it into a schmozzfest to build a six-woman-tag that doesn't need to happen.

Aside from that, though, this show was gold.
I disagree. It was the only schmozz on the show, and given that these two have had a number of singles matches, I can understand wanting something different from a booking perspective. If Sane were going over, I would have had them caught interfering and costing Bayzler a fall, then being ejected. With Bayzler going over, I understand the desire to give Sane a clean pinfall. Clusterf*cks are fine, especially when done early in the card and only once on a show. Closing with a cluster, or having them on 1/2 the matches, then it's an issue. YMMV.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:22 PM

Not liking the RAW wipe, so close window.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:42 PM

Two takeaways from Survivor Series:

One - who did Samoa Joe piss off to deserve a depush like that?

Two - the last move I expected to see tonight was a Neck Pillmanizer - especially on Rousey. Okay, you could see how the chair was gimmicked (one of the legs was detached from the seat), but still...
(History lesson: a "Pillmanizer" is where a wrestler wedges another wrestler's ankle in a folding chair, then stomps on the chair in an attempt to break the ankle, named for probably its most famous victim, Brian Pillman, at the hands of Steve Austin.)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:04 AM

SS has been getting good reviews from what I can tell, but I just couldn't get into it. The brand shirts are distracting and take away the wrestlers' identities, but the Charlotte/Ronda match made me forget about that, and the CW match was thankfully independent of brand politics. Otherwise, the RAW sweep took away any sense of balanced competition, and seeing a lifelong stalwart like Samoa Joe get taken out in 2 seconds completely destroyed the momentum for me. That, and the silly pee pants thing. At least NXT Takeover doesn't book for kindergarten.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

The Good: Rousey vs Flair; Bryan vs Lesnar; Murphy vs Ali; the crowd turning against Rousey (can Lynch be any more over?!?!)
The Bad: Jobbing out Samoa Joe and Finn Balor; Ignoring pre-show results
The Ugly: The close to the Tag Team match

As soon as I saw Spud playing with his pants, I knew where it was going and groaned and cursed the McMahon name. Took about 8-10 seconds for the announcers to catch up, and everyone involved should be embarrassed to have taken part and not united against VKM (and that includes the announce team).
Old 11-19-2018, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

In case you didn't hear; Enzo Amore managed to sneak into the second row facing the hard cam at Survivor Series, attempted to cause a scene during the Bar vs. AOP, injured a fan, and was thrown out by security.

Reportedly he's now banned for life from the Staples Center, and tonight at Raw they had pictures of him at the entry points warning the ticket-takers not to let him in.

You almost have to pity how S-A-W-F-T he's become.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 AM

He's going to go into porn. Look at the way he signs his name. It's inevitable.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:50 AM

My comment reminded me of when Louis CK considered going into porn to salvage his career. (NSFW)
Old 11-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

In case one didn't know that McMahon is surrounded by Yes-men, they doubled down on the pee-Spud's-pants angle rather than acting like it never happened. I haven't heard nor seen one positive or even neutral comment about that angle. But Vinnie Mac must think it's funny, so no one is telling him the Emperor is wearing no clothes.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 PM

Vince did the pee-his-pants thing himself in an angle with SCSA, so he sees no reason why nobody else can.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:18 PM

Pete Dunne is not one for PDA.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Those Vikings probably don't know what a shower is...
Old 11-25-2018, 07:47 AM

I'm really enjoying going back and watching all the old episodes of 205 Live. I'm on #6 right now. Cedric Alexander and Noam Dar feuding over Alicia "Foooooox". Neville turning heel and running roughshod through Rich Swann and T.J. Perkins. I'm also watching the cruiserweight championship matches on the pay-per-views. But I'm relying on 205 Live episodes themselves to give me the big cruiserweight highlights of RAW. I'm not digging through every RAW episode to see every cruiserweight match there, let alone the promos, which aren't bookmarked.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:46 AM

You can skip all the Enzo Amore episodes. That was when Vince was booking them.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I'm really enjoying going back and watching all the old episodes of 205 Live. I'm on #6 right now. Cedric Alexander and Noam Dar feuding over Alicia "Foooooox". Neville turning heel and running roughshod through Rich Swann and T.J. Perkins. I'm also watching the cruiserweight championship matches on the pay-per-views. But I'm relying on 205 Live episodes themselves to give me the big cruiserweight highlights of RAW. I'm not digging through every RAW episode to see every cruiserweight match there, let alone the promos, which aren't bookmarked.
I don't think I would even recognize half of the people in 205 live if I watched. Either that or I'd go "Ohhh...THAT'S where (superstar) went!"
Old 11-26-2018, 03:31 PM

So, Starrcade happened. (You can find it under In Ring/WWE Network Exclusives). Absolutely nothing happened that I'll remember in a month, except that Elias got to share the stage with Ric Flair. It was a full-length, glorified house show, but half the matches weren't televised, including a match between Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose.

Main event showed AJ Styles making Samoa Joe tap out to the Calf Crusher inside a steel cage. Joe can't even beat him when there's no title to change hands.

Last edited by ekedolphin; 11-26-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:38 PM

Terry Funk used to be the main heel in NWA back in the 70's. The man could rip a promo to make the audience absolutely hate him. He had that sinister edge to his voice that added a little scariness as well.

Dean Ambrose perfectly channeled that last night. He showed his scorn for the audience by showing himself getting inoculated before entering <insert city here>. "This is for Dysentery! This is for Pneumonia! This is for Distemper! This next one's for Rabies!"

Doctor: This will hurt a bit.

Dean: Comes with the territory. /hisses and grits his teeth

Dean rants some more as the doctor brings out a horse-sized syringe.

Dean, I love you again. This is much better than the face version of Lunatic Fringe. This was some Hamlet-level promo delivery.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Dean did the best he could do, and the best promo on that sad, sad, sorry show, but the angle was atrocious, as was every angle this week. That was a boring, horrible Raw. And did we need that much Corbin?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:14 PM

Sin Cara chops TV host, leaves literal hand print on his chest

Wonder if WWE will bring him back to do the same to Vic Joseph every time he says "Ohhh!"?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 AM

I'm trying really really really hard not to, but I'm beginning to get frustrated over how boring RAW has become. It was always a "lol it's the same matches!" argument that I could deal with, but after watching last night I realized that it's literally just the same things over and over again. The straw that broke the camel's back was when Bobby Roode was facing Rockstar Spud Drake Maverick for the X-division championship right to face AOP and thought "oh cool! We'll see Maverick in the ring!"....only for it to last 2 seconds before it's the same damn match for the last month.

Sigh...one of these days we'll see new things, right?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:53 PM

sounds like were back to pre nwo/nitro raw...….

Last edited by nightshadea; 12-04-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

About the only good thing that I can say about this week's episode is that it was better than last week's episode.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 PM

I think I'm going to make a meme. It's a picture of Randy Orton having Jeff Hardy is dire straits with the caption YOU GONNA GET YOUR EARLOBE RAPED.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM

Oooooohhhhh... Now I get it. When Jeff Hardy was in TNA, he showed up completely drunk and doped off his ass in his match vs Sting. He lost in 10 seconds.

TNA had real egg on their face as a result. Actually, that was par for the course with TNA.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:34 AM

Daniel Bryan is back to his preachy liberal activist angle. I like how they had Miz take credit for his attitude change and try to get Bryan to admit it, and then have Bryan partially agree, and then go on to rant about how he was proud to kick AJ Styles in the groin. Then he gets on commentary during Miz's match with AJ, and eternal do-gooder Byron Saxton asks him what's Birdie going to think about his actions, and Bryan replies "I hope my daughter kicks every man she sees in the groin."

I seriously hope there's a Total Bellas episode where a toddler Birdie kicks little boys in their pee pees.

and viewers thought they were sick of Nakamura's ball shots...
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM

The MizTV segment was fantastic, the rest was just fine.

I heard a good analogy today: The WWE treats its shows like concerts instead of a TV show. Bands always play the same set from show to show to give the audience what they want to hear because they didn't see the last city's show. So the WWE repeats matches over and over to give each new city that match. Unfortunatley for them, it's a TV show and we all see it all the time
Old 12-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Tommy 'Dynamite Kid' Billington passed away on his 60th birthday. Fantastic, innovative performer, not a fantastic person (not that I knew him, but from what I've read).
Old 12-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The MizTV segment was fantastic, the rest was just fine.

I heard a good analogy today: The WWE treats its shows like concerts instead of a TV show. Bands always play the same set from show to show to give the audience what they want to hear because they didn't see the last city's show. So the WWE repeats matches over and over to give each new city that match. Unfortunatley for them, it's a TV show and we all see it all the time
That working theory should have died with the advent of cable TV, especially when cable became the prime income source instead of *just* a vehicle to sell house show tickets. The next town has already seen the match, and they're not doing anything different. WWE needs to relearn how to elevate the mid-card, and how to protect performers they are envisioning for top card. Give people a reason to care about Lucha House Party versus The Revival, AND give us a reason why Lucha House rules make sense.

I liked the Smackdown opening, and I think Lynch/Flair/Asuka can steal TLC. It would be great if that closed the show.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Tommy 'Dynamite Kid' Billington passed away on his 60th birthday. Fantastic, innovative performer, not a fantastic person (not that I knew him, but from what I've read).
yeah foley fought the bulldogs as a jobber team when wwe used wrestling schools for squash talent and kid stiffed him with a painful move and described him as ok but was someone who had a mean streak Ö...