Old 01-31-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm fairly certain WWE learned its lesson about using press releases to further an angle from the whole "Donald Trump buys Raw" debacle.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

All an investor lawsuit has to do is get class action certified and it is a payday. And yes, the SEC takes press releases seriously. Doesn't matter who it is from or what it is about. They won't say, "Oh, it's just wrestling." That seriously does not fly on Wall Street for a publicly-traded company...ANY publicly traded company.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I'm fairly certain WWE learned its lesson about using press releases to further an angle from the whole "Donald Trump buys Raw" debacle.
Did they get sued over that?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Did they get sued over that?
It tanked their stock and they had to release a "Just kidding, this is just a storyline" PR the next day. That was over ten years ago and I can't recall them trying to work the press since then.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It tanked their stock and they had to release a "Just kidding, this is just a storyline" PR the next day. That was over ten years ago and I can't recall them trying to work the press since then.
Also led to a commercial-free Raw, brought to you by KFC. WWE left themselves some wriggle-room, as Trump bought Raw (which isn't a sellable-entity), but as Smapti noted, led to a 7% stock decline anyway. Some blame should go to news agencies which just ran the press release without confirming the release. It popped ratings. The SEC supposedly considered investigated, but for reasons unknown, decided not to follow up.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:23 AM

I understand ya'lls point, but it's a complete apples-to-oranges comparison.

A press release saying Trump is buying RAW is a huge deal because it signifies a major businessman is putting (probable) millions of dollars into an already multi-million dollar company. On its face, that has a HUGE impact on business and in the business world.

The WWE releasing a statement about an individual wrestler isn't anywhere close to that.

The closest I can get is someone might see this as the end of WWE as we know it and pull stock because they think Ambrose is the first domino to fall and wants out, then gets pissed because of it and wants some kind of revenge. But even that is far-fetched because the stock market itself isn't going to move or pay attention because of this.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Pierre Carl Oulett (PCO) teamed with Jacques Rougeau in The Quebecers, but it was Jacques Rougeau who was The Mountie. No, I did not know that off the top of my head, but when you posted, I wondered if that might have had anything to do with Raymond Rougeau not doing French commentary for Royal Rumble.
Got to see PCO at the BOLA finals this year.... He's insanely charismatic with this new gimmick.....even though it's as Cornette says "some hokey shit."
Old 02-01-2019, 07:09 PM

hogans wife is supposedly in court trying to get him to live up to the divorce agreement among other things
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...ape/ar-BBSE3wP
Old 02-02-2019, 12:31 AM

Jesus, those two deserve each other.

"In a bitter divorce settlement hashed out over a year, Hogan agreed to give Bollea 70 percent of the couple's liquid assets plus properties worth $3 million, but only 40 percent of any future revenues in his businesses."

Goddamned fool if he thought getting 60% of future income would be more valuable than giving up 70% of what they had plus $3 million. Unless he was factoring in the Gawker settlement money. But still, this is something I don't like about divorce. They should only settle current assets and not even look at future income. A divorce should be a final and complete parting of the ways, not a life-long forced relationship.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:00 AM

I got my tix for WWN & EVOLVE Wrestling present EVOLVE 122!!!

Main Event #1 - Only In EVOLVE
Adam Cole of The Undisputed Era vs. Darby Allin

Main Event #2 - EVOLVE Championship Match
Austin Theory defends vs. Anthony Henry

Main Event #3 - WWN Championship Match
JD Drake defends vs. Montez Ford of The Street Profits

Plus more to be signed with:

-EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Angelo Dawkins of The Street Profits
-AR Fox with Ayla & The Skulk
-Shane Strickland
-Eddie Kingston
-DJZ
-Josh Briggs
-Leon Ruff
-Harlem Bravado
-Curt Stallion
-Joe Gacy
-Colby Corino
-Plus others to be added!

I'm going to mark out big time for Adam Cole vs Darby Allin! The rest of the show I'll be my usual obnoxious smark self, but I'll be 5 years old for the main event.

Colby Corino is Steve Corino's son. He was a "young boy" in RoH who took sick bumps from the main eventers. Shane Strickland was Killshot in LU. I've seen Eddie Kingston and DJZ on Impact and Montez Ford on NXT, but I haven't seen any of the others.

Adam Cole and the Street Prophets will be available for pictures and autographs, so I might pull a Smapti. I'll be wearing the Jim Cornette shirt fo sho.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:51 PM

Adam Cole, BAY-BAY!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 AM

Possible reason why Zack Ryder hasn't been on RAM much

Zack to Curt: "You think you're a loser? They misspelled my name on the chyron last week! They spelled it Z-A-C-H when it's supposed to be Z-A-C-K-H!"
Old 02-05-2019, 09:49 AM

Haha I noticed that too.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 AM

The Undertaker removed all references to WWE from his social medias.....

What's this? What's this music?

Coming to face Cody! It's...it's.....it's The Coroner!!

Yes that's a joke. But it's such a joke now that anything that possibly happens in WWE the first thought is "OMG AEW!"
Old 02-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Here is AEW's roster.

No recent WWE defects. Chris Jericho and PAC (Adrian Neville) come closest. A bunch from RoH, a few from LU: Pentagon Jr., Fenix, Sonny Kiss (XO Lishus), & Sammy Guevara.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:14 AM

I didn't know that Omega actually officially signed. We all knew he was going to, but I assumed I'd hear something other than this post.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups
The Undertaker removed all references to WWE from his social medias.....

What's this? What's this music?

Coming to face Cody! It's...it's.....it's The Coroner!!

Yes that's a joke. But it's such a joke now that anything that possibly happens in WWE the first thought is "OMG AEW!"
*Chuckles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups
I didn't know that Omega actually officially signed. We all knew he was going to, but I assumed I'd hear something other than this post.
Didn't expect him to sign on as a VP.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Undertaker is available for personal appearances. If you want him at your birthday party, bar mitzvah, quincinera, whatever, it's only $25K an hour. You also have to have enough room for his pyro, a large enough grave plot, and a mack truck-sized organ for his entrance music.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Remember CJ Parker, the obnoxious hippie in NXT a couple years ago? He's now Juice Robinson, uses a Kid Rock gimmick, and heads a babyface stable in RoH.

Solomon Crowe had a similar fate. He didn't last that long in NXT, but he's an Indie rebel king now. NXT is the golden touch.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:09 PM

Remember CJ Parker, the obnoxious hippie in NXT a couple years ago? He's now Juice Robinson, uses a Kid Rock gimmick, and heads a babyface stable in RoH.

Solomon Crowe had a similar fate. He didn't last that long in NXT, but he's an Indie rebel king now. At the risk of sounding like a WWE mark, NXT has the golden touch.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:58 PM

funny thing is when bill Anderson and jesse hernandez had their first wrestling school/federation the first time I seen chris daniels and rico constantino was in a 3 way match with a huge monster being called the coroner he was more of a kane type in wrestling style …….

but him and bill clashed too much and he just disappeared
Old 02-12-2019, 06:42 PM

just seen that wwe legend Pedro Morales passed on I think he was wwe's first or one of the first Hispanic superstars who was champ for 3 years …..https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ww...ies/ar-BBTvn1z

In an age where you're lucky to be champ for 3 months in any wrestling fed that's saying something
Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Growing up, I was a Bob Backlund fan and my brother was a Pedro Morales fan, and we'd argue about who was better. The heel would come into the territory, squash everyone to "earn" a WWWF World Championship title shot, battle Backlund for 2-3 months, then battle Morales for the WWWF Intercontinental title 2-3 months, then put over talent before transitioning to another territory. Another icon of my childhood lost. Goodbye Pedro.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 AM

I remember Morales from WWF in the mid 80's, but he was a JTTS then. Gorilla Monsoon always referred to him as "The Former Mr. Everything." I guess that meant he held all the major title belts at some point.

Dash & Dawson won the RAM title belts. Threatening to leave actually worked. I guess WWE saw that RAM was slipping in the ratings and AEW could snatch away their talent, so they decided to see if turning up emphasis on tag teams would help.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 AM

Kofi Kingston was announced as Mustafa Ali's injury replacement for the Elimination Chamber, and he then went an hour in a gauntlet match on last night's SmackDown, defeating Daniel Bryan, Jeff Hardy, and Samoa Joe before losing to AJ Styles.

Last edited by ekedolphin; 02-13-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I remember Morales from WWF in the mid 80's, but he was a JTTS then. Gorilla Monsoon always referred to him as "The Former Mr. Everything." I guess that meant he held all the major title belts at some point.
He was the first WWWF Triple Crown winner. WWWF Heavyweight Championship (won from Ivan Koloff); WWF Intercontinental Champion (first won from Ken Patera), and WWF Tag Team Champion with Bob Backlund (won from The Wild Samoans, for one day). The only one I was too young to remember was the WWWF Championship.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
He was the first WWWF Triple Crown winner. WWWF Heavyweight Championship (won from Ivan Koloff); WWF Intercontinental Champion (first won from Ken Patera), and WWF Tag Team Champion with Bob Backlund (won from The Wild Samoans, for one day). The only one I was too young to remember was the WWWF Championship.
We must be pretty close in age. I am also too young to remember Pedro's WWWF championship run. I was also a huge Backlund fan. I feel like he's under rated these days. When history of the WWF(E) championship is mentioned it seems like a lot of people go straight from Bruno to Hogan.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino
We must be pretty close in age. I am also too young to remember Pedro's WWWF championship run. I was also a huge Backlund fan. I feel like he's under rated these days. When history of the WWF(E) championship is mentioned it seems like a lot of people go straight from Bruno to Hogan.
You're one of the few older fans online I've come across that was a Backlund fan. Several folks on other forums I frequent said that he was bland and fans preferred Snuka. Backlund's first reign ended the yr I was born so my introduction to him was his '90s run, which I enjoyed.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:59 PM

My Elimination Chamber predictions:

Daniel Bryan vs. A.J. Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton, Elimination Chamber Match for the WWE Championship: Bryan wins, but you know, one day I would like to see Kofi Kingston as WWE Champion.

Tamina & Nia Jax vs. Bayley & Sasha Banks vs. The IIconics vs. Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville vs. Naomi & Carmella vs. Liv Morgan & Sarah Logan, Elimination Chamber Match for the Women's Tag Team Championship: I hope that Bayley and Banks will win, but I predict that it'll be Jax and Tamina.

Ronda Rousey vs. Ruby Riott, Raw Women's Championship Match
: Rousey wins and retains.

The Miz & Shane McMahon vs. The Usos, Smackdown Tag Team Championship Match: I imagine Miz and Shane retain here but lose it at the next PPV to set up their match at WrestleMania.

Bobby Lashley & Lio Rush vs. Finn Balor, Handicap Match for the Intercontinental Championship: Finn wins the belt.

Braun Strowman vs. Baron Corbin: Strowman, and hopefully it's short.

Buddy Murphy vs. Akira Tozawa, Cruiserweight Championship Match: Murphy wins and retains.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Daniel Bryan vs. A.J. Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton, Elimination Chamber Match for the WWE Championship: Bryan wins, but you know, one day I would like to see Kofi Kingston as WWE Champion.
The So Bad It Must Be Vince's Idea Version: Randy Orton, entering last, cleans up like Monday and wins the title (his 14th), leading to Bryan vs Orton at Wrestlemania.

Improbable Good Version: Kofi wins the belt and defends vs. Bryan at Wrestlemania.

Quote:
Tamina & Nia Jax vs. Bayley & Sasha Banks vs. The IIconics vs. Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville vs. Naomi & Carmella vs. Liv Morgan & Sarah Logan, Elimination Chamber Match for the Women's Tag Team Championship: I hope that Bayley and Banks will win, but I predict that it'll be Jax and Tamina.
Not going to argue with that conclusion, especially with Sasha Banks injury stuff floating around out there. By all rights it should be Sasha Bayley, but it won't be.

Quote:
Ronda Rousey vs. Ruby Riott, Raw Women's Championship Match[/B]: Rousey wins and retains.
I can't imagine anyone betting on Riott in this match. Foregone conclusion.

Quote:
The Miz & Shane McMahon vs. The Usos, Smackdown Tag Team Championship Match: I imagine Miz and Shane retain here but lose it at the next PPV to set up their match at WrestleMania.
Agreed.

Quote:
Bobby Lashley & Lio Rush vs. Finn Balor, Handicap Match for the Intercontinental Championship: Finn wins the belt.

Braun Strowman vs. Baron Corbin: Strowman, and hopefully it's short.
I'd love to see Finn win, but I won't bet on it. Strowman is also a foregone conclusion unless there are somehow shenanigans - which I would bet are anti-Strowman and not necessarily pro-Corbin. Something like Lars Sullivan taking out Corbin mid-match to face down Strowman in the middle of the ring.

Quote:
Buddy Murphy vs. Akira Tozawa, Cruiserweight Championship Match: Murphy wins and retains.
Very probably.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Literally the only reason for the IIconics to exist is to be women's tag team champs. They should 1000% win this, but they won't because it's illegal for any woman to do anything special if it isn't Sasha or Charlotte
Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 PM

They're modern heel jobbers. They might get a short reign in a year or two, otherwise their job is to lose to the better team.

Note: I like Peyton, but I am NOT a fan of Billie Kay. She's a horrible wrestler.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Here's what I want to see. At Elimination Chamber Bryan retains but Kofi has another strong outing. At Fastlane Kofi wins a triple threat or fatal four way to become the #1 contender. Then, at Wrestlemania he becomes WWE champ.

The sight of Kofi Kingston raising the title at WM would be amazing and the New Day celebration on the following Smackdown would be incredibly entertaining.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino View Post
Here's what I want to see. At Elimination Chamber Bryan retains but Kofi has another strong outing. At Fastlane Kofi wins a triple threat or fatal four way to become the #1 contender. Then, at Wrestlemania he becomes WWE champ.

The sight of Kofi Kingston raising the title at WM would be amazing and the New Day celebration on the following Smackdown would be incredibly entertaining.
YES.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

AEW Double or Nothing sold out in 4 minutes yesterday. Pretty impressive.

Here's the card so far for the show;

* Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho
* Hangman Page vs. PAC
* The Young Bucks vs. Pentagon Jr. & Fenix
* Cody Rhodes vs. ?
* Triple threat: Dr. Britt Baker vs. Kylie Rae vs. Nyla Rose
Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
You're one of the few older fans online I've come across that was a Backlund fan. Several folks on other forums I frequent said that he was bland and fans preferred Snuka. Backlund's first reign ended the yr I was born so my introduction to him was his '90s run, which I enjoyed.
Backlund was the quintessential babyface. The rotating heels were big and colorful, and Backlund could carry anyone who couldn't hang to a good match. It was just the opposite of the NWA, where they usually had heel champions. Backlund was a slice of good white bread...sure, it's significantly better than Wonder, but in the end it is still white bread. But he and Pedro were work-rate champions, and even then, I admired that style of wrestling (though Backlund could outwork Morales). He couldn't be too fiery, because that was Pedro Morales babyface shtick. But he had some great matches, including his Madison Square Garden cage match against heel Jimmy Snuka, which might have been the first time Snuka lept off the top of the cage. Here, he missed. Later he would land it on Muraco, and thus was born Cactus Jack.

Morales was the fiery Latino babyface, and given the big Puerto Rican populations in major NE cities, he was over HUGE. Pedro could legit sell-out venues where he was the top name in many cities.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
funny thing is when bill Anderson and jesse hernandez had their first wrestling school/federation the first time I seen chris daniels and rico constantino was in a 3 way match with a huge monster being called the coroner he was more of a kane type in wrestling style .

but him and bill clashed too much and he just disappeared
Did he disappear or did they just...bury him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
[<----snip]
Dash & Dawson won the RAM title belts. Threatening to leave actually worked. I guess WWE saw that RAM was slipping in the ratings and AEW could snatch away their talent, so they decided to see if turning up emphasis on tag teams would help.
While I hope it works out for them, I fear the WWE''s handling of tag teams. After turning gold into joggers (The Ascension) or breaking them up (American Alpha,) I don't see a good long term deal for any tag team there. I'm still waiting to see how they eventually kill the New Day.
Speaking of the New Day, I'd love to see Kofi carry the gold. Instead of breaking up over it, I'd find a fourth guy and turn them into a stable, holding all the gold. Kind of a goofy, fun-loving Four Horseman. I can hear it now "carousel riding, pancake-flying, booty-o stealing sons of guns. Woooooo"
Old 02-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Jimmy Uso and Naomi pulled over, car reeks of booze. Naomi driving. Jimmy gets out of the car, takes off his shirt and gets into fighting stance. Cop pulls taser. Jimmy backs off.

Great time of year to pull that shit, Uso.

Of course, as I said elsewhere, there's a simple, easy solution. WWE hires tour buses when they tour Europe and other places overseas. There's no reason they can't hire buses or vans to take their talent from show to show in the USA. They're flush with cash and it would cut down on stories like this.

When you pay people hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, why are you being so fucking cheap about their transportation?
Old 02-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Because then you end up with "plane ride from hell" and "Enzo kicked off the tour bus" stories. Less damaging than this, sure....but not a scot-free suggestion.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds
Backlund was the quintessential babyface. The rotating heels were big and colorful, and Backlund could carry anyone who couldn't hang to a good match. It was just the opposite of the NWA, where they usually had heel champions. Backlund was a slice of good white bread...sure, it's significantly better than Wonder, but in the end it is still white bread. But he and Pedro were work-rate champions, and even then, I admired that style of wrestling (though Backlund could outwork Morales). He couldn't be too fiery, because that was Pedro Morales babyface shtick. But he had some great matches, including his Madison Square Garden cage match against heel Jimmy Snuka, which might have been the first time Snuka lept off the top of the cage. Here, he missed. Later he would land it on Muraco, and thus was born Cactus Jack.

Morales was the fiery Latino babyface, and given the big Puerto Rican populations in major NE cities, he was over HUGE. Pedro could legit sell-out venues where he was the top name in many cities.
According to Meltzer Morales had one of the highest percentage of MSG sellouts. I even came across a blog post listing the cards he sold out. Regarding Backlund, it's been said that he was Vince Sr.'s answer to Jack Brisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera
Jimmy Uso and Naomi pulled over, car reeks of booze. Naomi driving. Jimmy gets out of the car, takes off his shirt and gets into fighting stance. Cop pulls taser. Jimmy backs off.

Great time of year to pull that shit, Uso.

Of course, as I said elsewhere, there's a simple, easy solution. WWE hires tour buses when they tour Europe and other places overseas. There's no reason they can't hire buses or vans to take their talent from show to show in the USA. They're flush with cash and it would cut down on stories like this.

When you pay people hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, why are you being so fucking cheap about their transportation?
Guess they see no reason to change tradition.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Because then you end up with "plane ride from hell" and "Enzo kicked off the tour bus" stories. Less damaging than this, sure....but not a scot-free suggestion.
Mark Henry is back in the locker room to clean it up and cut the bullshit behavior.

If you get thrown off the bus by Mark Henry, they measure the distance.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

Jimmy and Naomi weren't traveling to a show when this happened, though, so having WWE provide transportation wouldn't have made a difference.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:17 PM

Hey, thanks Sportsmaza.com. You allegedly list every WWE salary for 2019 and your list includes people who haven't worked for the company since 2016 or earlier. Brilliant jerb.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Jimmy and Naomi weren't traveling to a show when this happened, though, so having WWE provide transportation wouldn't have made a difference.
Yeah, I think typical Smackdown schedule is house shows weekend through Monday, Smackdown Tues, then off a couple days.

Supposedly this may not derail their tag team match, as WWE is still paranoid about people walking out to AEW. Sounding like Jessie Ventura was wrong--wrestlers don't need a union, all they needed was a sugar daddy/corporate boogyman.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
WWE does this special dance where they treat wrestlers as independent contractors, not employees. It's bullshit, but this may be (IANAL) one of those dance steps that helps WWE separate contractor from employee. I don't think the designation would stand a strong court challenge, but it hasn't faced one yet.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:38 AM

The next time Oos and Naomi do a mixed tag match, Rusev and Lana should dress as cops and carry tasers.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 PM

I've got SmackDown on the DVR and haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but I love how they had Kofi go for more than an hour. I also like the underhanded, sleazy way that Orton won the match. It's so in-character for him. That's a great way to build heat. I hope someone kicks his ass at the Elimination Chamber.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:17 PM

EVOLVE 122 - Cabarrus Event Center, Concord NC, 2/16/2019

I had been meaning to go to a show here, but it's a 2 hour plus drive. They've held RoH tapings here, so I might make one someday, but I came because of Adam Cole BAY BAY! Plus, I got my friend Tom to come, who lives near the venue. He's seen a few wrestling shows in his life, so this was my opportunity to enlighen him with my smart markedness. I used Google Maps to find my way, and it had me go down Irish Potato road. That's some back country driving there.

It was a nice little setup. They had the ring set up with may about 300 folding chairs set up, each with their seating number written on postits attached. Bet you can do with couch change budget I guess. We got there about 7:15, and there was already a long line for Adam Cole and the Street Prophets. Montez Ford eventually picked up a mic and started warming up the crowd. He'd rag on some audience members, then ask the sound guy for something to dance to. The sound guy started playing Limp Bizkit's Nookie. When Fred Durst started his vocals, Ford said "Naw, naw, man. Don't choose that. It's starts off cool,. then the dude starts growling. URRR! URRRR! URRRR!"

I paid $20 to get my picture with Adam Cole. I shook his hand, told him "II hope you never get called up. You guys run NXT and that's why it's so successful. He said "Thanks, I really love it there" and shook my hand again. Really nice guy.

From what I understand, WWN is like the father of EVOLVE. It provides streaming and ondemand for indie feds like EVOLVE, Shine, and a couple others. So the ring equipment had the WWN logos, but the chyrons had EVOLVE graphics. The venue is the home of PWX wrestling, and we found out from a fan sitting next to us that they already had a show at 3, and some of their talent was working this show too. I wish I had known that. That wasn't advertised.

1. Kurt Stallion vs Harlem Bravado

I think these were both PWX guys. Harlem seemed like the local hero. He resembles a young JBL. When he came out, we could see his chest had already bit lit up. He must have worked the earlier show. These guys were hitting each other HARD. It wasn't just slaps we heard. Their hits sounded like bass drums. THUMP! At one point, Harlem was outside and Stallion did a Suicide Dive. Harlem stepped out of the way and Stallion's face hit the railing. That looked genuinely painful. It wasn't a "fake" hardware hit where the guy uses his hands in a pushing motion to suggest he hit the railing. It was mug to metal. The audience started yelling "Holy Shit!" Harlem brought Stallion back in the ring and got the pin. Excellent match. Harlem knew how to rally the crowd.

2. DJZ vs Josh Briggs

Remember DJZ from Impact? He came out wearing an LED light suit. Briggs was wearing some kind of shoulder holster. Somebody yelled "I like your sports bra!" I yelled "Do they make them for men?" Audience laughed. Briggs is kind of an Undertaker/Drew McEntyre mix. DJZ would attempt to land his high-flying maneuvers on Briggs, but the bigger man usually caught him or countered his moves with brute strength, like when he goozles DJZ right after he made his top rope attack dive. DJZ still got off some high-flying offense, and Briggs would get meaner and angrier whenever he fell victim. Briggs eventually gets the win with a chokeslam/lungblower.

3. Fatal 4 Way - Slim J vs Leon Ruff vs Joe Gacy vs Colby Corino

Colby is the son of Steve Corino. He used to be a Young Boy in RoH, and frequently got beat up by the main eventers and took some sick bumps. I was looking forward to seeing him in action. Slim J wears a wife beater and camos. Joe Gacy is kind of like Killian Dane, the ugly guy who wants to make you uglier. His style is a lot like WIllie Mack from LU. Leon Ruff is the derivative of Lio Rush. Smallest in the ring, but agile like a monkey. Good match with a Superkick Party segment, of course. Colby got Ruff on hsi shoulders and ran tot he corner like a running power bomb, but at the last second turned it into a cannonball, with both guys somersaulting in the corner. Gacy got the pin on Ruff, and Colby didn't interfere. I guess they're part of a stable. From what I gather of the in-ring talk later, there had been a taping in Atlanta the night before, so I guess this was part of a storyline.

4. Shane Strickland vs AR Fox

Strickland used to be Killshot in LU. He was the arrogant heel who doesn't like fun. AR used to be Dante Fox in LU, and his angle has changed big time. He used to be the cold-blooded assassin as Dante Fox, but he let his hair grow out, wears a bandanna, and has a posse like Adam Rose, referred to as "The Skulk." The fan next to us said the Skulk were all PWX trainees. One of the Skulks modelled himself after Enzo Amore. He needed killing.

It was strange to see Fox as the fun guy babyface, considering the hard core matches in LU he worked. There was a nice series where Killshot was about to jump off the top rope onto Fox, but chose to jump on the assembled Skulk by him instead, knocking them down like bowling pins. Fox then climbed the corner and was about to jump on Killshot, but Killshot moved and Fox landed on the Skulks. This time however, they caught their beloved party master and held him up like Jesus Christ Superstar. Strickland, determined not to allow them to have fun, climbed back on the corner and jumped off to do a double-stomp on Fox's chest, again bowling the Skulks over like tenpins. We hated the Skulks and cheered that move. I managed to catch Fox doing some kind of somersault plancha on a prone Killshot. As you can see, Fox's body is a motion blur. Killshot eventually wins with the Skull Fucking Finale, and there was much wailing. I heard one of the Skulks say to another "It's because you didn't wear the red shirt!"

Intermission, more next post.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 02-17-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:02 PM

5. Effy Henry vs Austin Theory for the EVOLVE championship

It's a peasant vs aristocrat match. Effy is a tattoed scrapper, the Rocky archetype who had to overcome a hard life to get where he is today. Theory is the Golden Child, the douchebag heel. He's shredded with abs of steel. I yelled "Didn't you used to be Austin Hypothesis?" That started a wave of physics chants around me. "Let's go physics!" Much like the first match, these guys hit each other hard with bass drum thumps. It's a pretty brutal match, and Theory's nose leaked blood. Henry is good with the determined scowls, kind of like Mustafa Ali when he's getting ready to fuck up his heel opponent after getting beat down. Theory eventually wins with the Spanish Fly Face Smash.

After the match, a chick who looks like Paige came to the ring and started yelling at Theory. I guess she used to be his manager. I started a "Crazy Ex Girlfriend" chant. Theory leaves in disgust, and Faux Paige follows him to the back.

6. Eddie Kingston vs Angelo Dawkins

Kingston is a lot like Kevin Owens, the fat asshole heel. He wears a shit that says " I hope you suffer." Some black dudes in the audience call Dawkins "D-Low Brown" and chant "We are the Nation of Domination!" Dawkins gets most of the offense on Kingston, like this suplex out-of-ring. The action then spills to the other side of the ring, where Kingston pulls a chair out from under the ring and smacks Dawkins with it for the DQ. Kingston continues to beat Dawkins with the chair. The referees shoo him away and help Dawkins stand. The Enzo wannabe from earlier comes out and helps Dawkins to the back as we yell "You can't teach that!" This match wasn't as good as the others. I'm still not impressed with Dawkins.

7. Montez Ford vs JD Drake for the WWN title

I honestly think Ford is going to be the next John Cena. He's got a good look, knows how to rally the crowd, and IMO needs to drop Dawkins and go solo. JD "Blue Collar Badass" Drake is a burly dude who looks like a cross between Arn Anderson and Samoa Joe. He's surprisingly agile. His hits were sharp and loud, and he's definitely main event level. The audience started chanting "Drake's gonna kill you" and Ford mockingly joined in, lisping like a nerd. After Drake beat up Ford and Ford struggled to get up, Drake told him "You better call Aitch and tell him you won't make it to work Monday!" They battled in the corner next to me, and I got a few shots.

Ford got off a sweet looking Salina Del Sol off the top corner and follows up with a Swanton Bomb. Drake however eventually wins with a twisting neck breaker, and he and Ford shake hands. Suddenly the heel stable (Kingston, Gacy and Corino) ambushes the two of them. Kingston grabs the mic and delivers a promo, which I guess sets up a Drake vs Kingston match next EVOLVE taping. Killshot then runs in and attacks Ford. I guess they will pair off next taping as well.

8. Adam Cole BAY BAY vs Darby Allin

I was looking forward to seeing Allin in action, and he didn't disappoint. He's quick and takes a lot of bumps. Cole is obviously the star of the show and he got a huge pop when he made his entrance. He went into heel mode when Darby was down and kept telling him how worthless he was. This came off as more of a Ric Flair vs a jobber match. Flair will do his part to make the jobber look good, but everybody knows Flair will win. It didn't look like a match between equals to me, as Cole largely dominated. Eventually, Darby has Cole down and goes outside the ring to set up a table. Cole however, turns the tables, so to speak. The table doesn't get smashed, but don't worry, it does later.

Cole wins with the Shining Wizard. Then, Austin Theory runs in and attacks Cole. He then look like he's going to give Darby the same treatment, but the Crazy Ex Girlfriend ran in and superkicked Theory from behind. Then things got weird.
Effy sneaks in while Darby and Crazy Ex Girlfriend argue. He goes for a superkick on Darby, but Darby ducks and Crazy Ex Girlfriend gets kicked instead. Effy suddenly turns heel and beats up Darby. They battle outside the ring, and Effy gets the better of Darby and places him on the preset table. Then Effy climbs the corner and gets off a sweet looking double-stomp on Darby and crushes the table. At that point, my battery went kaput, so no more pictures. I guess this is a way of setting up Darby vs Effy next taping, but Darby came off looking like the loser of the night.

All in all, I hope Ford gets called up, Dawkins stays in development limbo, and Cole continues to run NXT until the end of days. I can see Theory as NXT material, but it's probably better to wait until Velveteen Dream leaves. I think WWE would want JD Drake to lose some midriff before they sign him up, but he's otherwise definitely NXT material. Darby looked to be 150 lbs soaking wet, so they'd probably want him to add some muscle weight.

The other wrestlers had tables set up for merchandise & pics, but I got a purple EVOLVE hat instead. I got back home after 2 am. Guess I'll watch Elimination Chamber in a few hours.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:19 PM

too bad they don't make it down to la or around there ...id go if they did

oh heres a wwe "scandal" supposedly a wwe announcer had been a bad boy and got caught by his wife but its a bit weird .https://thebiglead.com/2019/02/16/co...inline-related