Old 01-12-2019, 10:09 AM

They couldn't have the Confederate flag on top of the General Lee car in "The Dukes of Hazzard".
Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post

I’ve been watching some old Dick van Dyke episodes, and some of those have not aged well either. Don’t remember the particular episode, but there was one where Rob and Laura were having an argument. Buddy advises Rob to “slap her around a little.” Toward the end of the episode, after Laura has gotten the better of him, Rob turns to Buddy and says, “I should have slapped her around.” Big laugh from the audience.
Wait until you see the episode in which Rob and Laura try to set up a male friend - Rob sets him up with Sally and Laura with a friend of hers. But the guy, though apparently having a good time with each, never seems to decide between them. The reason why? He's a wife-beater and his psychiatrist has advised him that he'll start hitting any woman he gets too seriously about.

https://tvwheniwasborn.blogspot.com/...dyke-show.html
Old 01-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post
They couldn't have the Confederate flag on top of the General Lee car in "The Dukes of Hazzard".
Or even call it the "General Lee" considering that that would be glorifying a traitor who took up arms against the United States and opposed racial equality.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:52 PM

I've been rewatching a lot of "Barney Miller" lately. While it's still very, very funny, there's some pretty cringe-worthy episodes. And not even the ones that they intended to be uncomfortable.

For instance, there's the appropriately titled episode "Rape", in which a woman wants her husband arrested for forcing her to have sex with him. Totally played for laughs.

There's "Hot Dogs", in which two female police officers are called on the carpet for overstepping their assigned duties, and break down in tears to get out of trouble.

There's "Atomic Bomb" in which a college student builds a thermonuclear device as a physics project, and gets little more than a slap on the writst.

And there's the recurring character Marty (and sometimes his SO, Darryl) as a very camp pair of homosexuals.

It was truly a different time.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I thought about Marty when I was reading this thread. But I still love Barney Miller, one of my favorite TV shows ever.

Some of the writing was so clever. There was an episode in which a local bakery had complaints against it, for making "obscene" pastries. They were never described or shown. But the box they were in was opened by various folks, and it was their reaction and comments that were hysterical.

"I never would have thought of putting poppyseeds there!"

And when it comes to complaining about obscenity there was the episode in which a woman vandalized a painting in the window of an art gallery. It was a female nude, and the vandal complained it was inappropriate. The painting had been done decades earlier. Barney looked at the woman, judging her age, and guessed correctly that the woman had, in her youth, been the model, and was now mightily embarrassed about it.

Sorry to go off on tangents, I loved that show.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Then comes the punchline to the whole episode. It turns out those guys weren’t gay! These two other guys that look straight are the gay ones! Ha ha ha!!!
The end.
They'll do better in season 6 (I think I'm on season 6 now). Rebecca's upset that Robin bought a house for his French girlfriend, and the Cheers gang sees her picture in the paper. They pass it around and play it up like she's the most gorgeous woman they've ever seen. Norm asks one guy, "Bob, what do you think of this?"

Bob (or whatever his name was) takes one look and says, "I'd change."

Which implies that they have gay friends at the bar that they know by name and can make those kinds of jokes with.

I wonder if the episode you mentioned ties into one of Coach's later gags. I don't recall the episode number, only that Coach goes on a rant about people saying some baseball player is gay, but the guy's not.

Sam butts in that yeah, the guy is gay, always was.

Coach is shocked for a beat, then he asks if he can fix the player up with some other guy he knows.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 01-12-2019 at 01:55 PM. Reason: learn to spell!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
They'll do better in season 6 (I think I'm on season 6 now).
Wow! Season 8. My, how those Rebecca years fly by....
Old 01-12-2019, 02:08 PM

How about "King Size Homer", from The Simpsons? Homer decides he wants to go on workman's comp, so he doesn't have to participate in the plant's exercise program, and gains about 100+ pounds. He ends up morbidly obese, and the fat jokes just write themselves. It's one of my favorite episodes, but damn, I can see people just screaming their heads off nowadays.
(Especially when you consider by today's standards, 300-some pounds isn't even considered all THAT bad. That's sad)

The Labor Day episode of Married...With Children where Al wants to have a BBQ, and he makes Peggy work her ass off. And the sight of her doing so gets him so horny that instead of HER insisting on sex, HE keeps doing so, while she looks miserable. Since it's always the other way around (Peggy wants to have sex, Al doesn't), it's pretty funny, but there's no way they'd be able to pull it off today.

Quote:
But Ralph never did hit Alice, and more importantly, Alice knows he’s not going to hit her. I think it stays funny for that reason.
Didn't she usually roll her eyes and respond with some fat joke anyways?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
A whole lot of "Star Trek: the Next Generation" would not go over with a modern-day audience.

The gender-less aliens who demonized any members of their race who showed gender characteristics. Ironically, this was TNG's awkward, fumbling attempt at addressing non-hetero sexuality -- and it was just a mess.
Snipped to discuss this particular episode.

It might have worked a little better (maybe) if Riker's love interest for that episode was portrayed by a male actor. I believe even Jonathan Frakes has said so. But it was a pretty ugly episode.

I'll throw in "The Host" from TNG-- Beverly can fall in love with a Trill man, and even boff him when he's in Riker's body, but she can't handle it at the end when the Odan symbiont gets transferred to a woman.

Last edited by ekedolphin; 01-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
There was a similar Night Court episode where lothario Dan Feilding meets up with a former classmate who has transitioned from male to female. Of course he has issues with it and to add to it, they cast a blond bombshell for the part.
They actually cast Jim Bailey.

There IS an episode where Dan interacts with a hot blonde who turned out to be trans (a stewardess, IIRC), but that was much more in the typical offensive 'laugh at the guy hitting on a woman who used to be a man' vein.

The episode you mention was very good for the era, and actually better than a lot of more recent attempts at addressing it. And, yes, most of the jokes were at Dan's expense...the closest it got to making a joke out of Charlene was when Harry finally came up with an explanation of what 'transgender' meant that Bull understood.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I'll throw in "The Host" from TNG-- Beverly can fall in love with a Trill man, and even boff him when he's in Riker's body, but she can't handle it at the end when the Odan symbiont gets transferred to a woman.
I actually think that could be done, it just would need to get rid of the weird speech that Beverly gives. Having a straight person who just can't change their sexual identity even though she wants to makes sense.

Where I think the problem lies is the fact that there is an entire species that will give up their own personal autonomy to be a body for another species. That's basically slavery. There's a reason they changed how Trills work when they decided to have one in the main cast of Deep Space Nine.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Chaser View Post
I seem to remember a John Wayne movie (possibly McLintock) where he spanked his estranged wife played by Maureen O'Hara.
Not only did John Wayne spank Maureen O'Hara, but Patrick Wayne spanks Stephanie Powers. With the total approval and encouragement of the crowd, I might add. Both the Waynes hand the other a makeshift paddle in each case as well.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Not only did John Wayne spank Maureen O'Hara, but Patrick Wayne spanks Stephanie Powers. With the total approval and encouragement of the crowd, I might add. Both the Waynes hand the other a makeshift paddle in each case as well.
Worse, both women become compliant and adoring as a result.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
Pretty much every episode of All in the Family. Archie Bunker's lovable bigot simply wouldn't fly today.

(snip)
On the contrary - flip the races, and Archie Bunker becomes Dre Johnson of blackish.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I assume this is two separate scenes, and not some sort of weird group scene...
Old 01-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Middle and end of movie. First John encourages Patrick to spank his daughter, and hands him an ash shovel mid-spank so he doesn't hurt his hand. Patrick returns the favor in the closing scene, handing John a grain scoop when he spanks Maureen in front of the whole town. In her bloomers. Covered with molasses and feathers.

Times were kinkier then.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
I remember seeing a Hollywood Squares repeat on the Game Show where the contestant pick George Gobel.

Peter Marshall asked him whether you can cross a Pumpkin with a Watermelon.

Gobel's one liner: "Yes, but what you get is a Jack-o-Lantern with an Afro."
Another time, when they asked George what Anita Bryant (a vociferous anti-gay rights activist) did for her talent competition in the Miss America pageant, he replied:

"Punch the hairdresser".
Old 01-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
I assume this is two separate scenes, and not some sort of weird group scene...
From McLintock!.

From The Quiet Man is as bad, if not worse.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 01-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Middle and end of movie. First John encourages Patrick to spank his daughter, and hands him an ash shovel mid-spank so he doesn't hurt his hand. Patrick returns the favor in the closing scene, handing John a grain scoop when he spanks Maureen in front of the whole town. In her bloomers. Covered with molasses and feathers.

Times were kinkier then.

Here's an article from a couple of years back.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 PM

I read an article recently that Friends hasn't held up all that well. There's a scene where it becomes apparent that Joey was molested by his tailor, but it's played for laughs. And Monica only gets happy when she loses her teenage weight.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I read an article recently that Friends hasn't held up all that well. There's a scene where it becomes apparent that Joey was molested by his tailor, but it's played for laughs. And Monica only gets happy when she loses her teenage weight.

There's a scene where Ross, who has no massage skills, pretends to be a masseur so he can grope this sexy woman and have her pay him for it. In any current sitcom such a scene would only be for loathsome creeps, but the episode clearly thinks it's cute .
Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I thought about Marty when I was reading this thread. But I still love Barney Miller, one of my favorite TV shows ever.

Some of the writing was so clever. There was an episode in which a local bakery had complaints against it, for making "obscene" pastries. They were never described or shown. But the box they were in was opened by various folks, and it was their reaction and comments that were hysterical.

"I never would have thought of putting poppyseeds there!"
The same box from the "obscene" bakery was used when the detectives were trying to overcome the language barrier with a Russian who married an American girl for convenience. Asking if he had consummated his marriage was unrewarding until they showed him something in the box.

And as far as Marty & Daryll, while obvious, I never thought them PC offensive, although Wojo was quite disturbed. I thought it clever of the writers to dream up reasonable excuses for them to be in the squad room but avoiding making them hardened criminals.

"Go on, be gracious!"
Old 01-12-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
There's a scene where Ross, who has no massage skills, pretends to be a masseur so he can grope this sexy woman and have her pay him for it. In any current sitcom such a scene would only be for loathsome creeps, but the episode clearly thinks it's cute .
Actually, Ross did a LOT of creepy things.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:27 PM

I'm still surprised that the juice box scene made it past the censors at the time.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
I agree with Don Draper: The early TNG episode which would be guaranteed to not work today would be "Code of Honor", where Yar is kidnapped by a planet of African Stereotypes straight out of a 1930s serial and the whole thing fairly snaps, crackles, and pops with racist stereotyping and Picard Pretension from there. About the only thing they didn't do was blackface, which meant they got actual Black people to dress up in leopard skins and act like spoiled children.
There's an episode in season 1 of Stargate SG1 that has almost the exact same plot (only with asian rather than black people): "Emancipation". Sam Carter gets the Tasha Yar role, obviously, and the moment when she has to show up wearing a dress, and gets mocked by her team-mates for it, is particularly cringeworthy.

Best of all, the SG1 episode is written by the same woman who wrote "Code of Honor".
Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I'm still surprised that the juice box scene made it past the censors at the time.
Could I bother you for a brief summary or description of what that links leads to!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Could I bother you for a brief summary or description of what that links leads to!
From memory:
Ross takes Rachel to the planetarium for a date with a "picnic" as a kind-of prop complete with juice boxes. They start making out. Rachel: "Oh, Ross. Already?" Ross: "Uh, Oh, No. We rolled over juice box."
Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Ah yes. I recall that now. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:

A video clip from this episode of Friends.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A video clip from this episode of Friends.
Uh okayyyyyy .... please allow me to suggest that you might benefit from learning from Tinker Grey's example.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Uh okayyyyyy .... please allow me to suggest that you might benefit from learning from Tinker Grey's example.

If you are too damn lazy to click on a damn link and read a description, why the hell should I jump through hoops to spoon feed you? Please imagine I have made a suggestion that can be used only in The Pit.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 AM

Jumping in late...

ST:TNG was pretty shit until Roddenberry died. Sad but true. I suppose he meant well, but...

The one episode of all the ST series that really horrified me was "Tuvix," from Voyager. Tuvok and Neelix get combined into one being as a result of some kind of handwavey transporter thing, and the resulting "Tuvix" throws the crew into disarray. It turns out he's great--all the best qualities of both with none of the bad! In the end Janeway personally extinguishes the existing being--who pleads for life--because she'd rather have the two guys she used to know instead of this new being.

This might be a bad example because as I remember the episode makes some effort to "teach the controversy"--but the episode really soured me on Janeway (and Kes!). It's ugly.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you are too damn lazy to click on a damn link and read a description, why the hell should I jump through hoops to spoon feed you? Please imagine I have made a suggestion that can be used only in The Pit.

Some of us might be at work.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, if you are too damn lazy to offer an adequate description, then I'm not going to waste my time opening a mystery box. It's rude to post blind links on a message board. Have the courtesy to let me decide in advance before I want to spend my time watching something I don't need to see or don't want to see. It might be something I find distasteful or disturbing or inapproproate for the place I'm reading the message board. It takes you less time to offer an adequate description to something when you already know what it is than to force me to spend unknown time just to find out what you're talking about. Especially since I asked you too and you bothered to reply.

Last edited by Acsenray; 01-15-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM

I can see how in the first post you might not have realised that I was continuing the discussion of Ross from Friends from the posts immediately above mine because I didn't quote text from the posts (though what I meant would have been obvious to most people familiar with the show) but there is not one damn thing wrong with providing a wiki link to a detailed description of the episode, including the juice box part. That it was a link to a wiki could have been discerned by mousing over or long-pressing the link before opening, and your response to my completly cromulent reply was nothing more than you being a major jerk out of left field
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Just Shoot Me was an unbelievably bad show, with one outstanding episode: Slow Donnie.

Try getting that one on the air today.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-15-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Grey View Post
From memory:
Ross takes Rachel to the planetarium for a date with a "picnic" as a kind-of prop complete with juice boxes. They start making out. Rachel: "Oh, Ross. Already?" Ross: "Uh, Oh, No. We rolled over juice box."
Why wouldn't this show/scenario fly today? I'm pretty sure I see more overtly sexual things on TV today. Of course, I watch entirely through Netflix and other streaming platforms so I'm not always sure where something came from (I can pick out the HBO shows though so I'm not talking about them).
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowItAll View Post
I've been rewatching a lot of "Barney Miller" lately. While it's still very, very funny, there's some pretty cringe-worthy episodes. And not even the ones that they intended to be uncomfortable.

For instance, there's the appropriately titled episode "Rape", in which a woman wants her husband arrested for forcing her to have sex with him. Totally played for laughs.

There's "Hot Dogs", in which two female police officers are called on the carpet for overstepping their assigned duties, and break down in tears to get out of trouble.

There's "Atomic Bomb" in which a college student builds a thermonuclear device as a physics project, and gets little more than a slap on the writst.

And there's the recurring character Marty (and sometimes his SO, Darryl) as a very camp pair of homosexuals.

It was truly a different time.
To be fair, the bomb had no explosive components in it, but the design would have worked. I recall a story from Reader's Digest from the 70s about a physics student who designed an atomic bomb as a research paper and only had the paper confiscated, so I could see the kid in Barney Miller not going to jail.

Wojo always bothered me as he seemed to arrest people because he thought it should be illegal, when it wasn't. I recall an episode where he arrested a guy for selling pants with the American flag on the seat, and Barney had to tel him to let the guy go as it's not illegal. Figure that's a lawsuit right there. ISTR there were one or two others along the same lines, but can't recall specifics.

There was also an episode (Vigilante, s1e09) )where a crossdressing man is arrested because for some reason it was illegal at the time. The play for laughs was him trying to figure out how to get a ride home as he didn't want to out himself to his friends.

Last edited by Patch; 01-15-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:23 AM

It was me that was suprised that it flew on NBC in Prime-Time in the 1990s.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSBG View Post
Jumping in late...

ST:TNG was pretty shit until Roddenberry died. Sad but true. I suppose he meant well, but...

The one episode of all the ST series that really horrified me was "Tuvix," from Voyager. Tuvok and Neelix get combined into one being as a result of some kind of handwavey transporter thing, and the resulting "Tuvix" throws the crew into disarray. It turns out he's great--all the best qualities of both with none of the bad! In the end Janeway personally extinguishes the existing being--who pleads for life--because she'd rather have the two guys she used to know instead of this new being.

This might be a bad example because as I remember the episode makes some effort to "teach the controversy"--but the episode really soured me on Janeway (and Kes!). It's ugly.
Let's just imagine we had a huge debate about this and skip to the end.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
And when it comes to complaining about obscenity there was the episode in which a woman vandalized a painting in the window of an art gallery. It was a female nude, and the vandal complained it was inappropriate. The painting had been done decades earlier. Barney looked at the woman, judging her age, and guessed correctly that the woman had, in her youth, been the model, and was now mightily embarrassed about it.
Then there's the Dick VanDyke episode where Laura is so proud of a black sweater she bought she, commissioned a struggling artist to paint a portrait of her wearing it for $25. Thing was, using his imagination he painted the portrait without the sweater (or anything else) on her. She was so mortified she fled without taking the painting.

Years later he's made it big time and the Laura nude is included in a big art show in Manhattan. Rob demands he take it down but the artist refuses, saying he had two potential buyers for about $5,000, one in New York and the other in Brazil. Rob points out the painting had been sold to Laura and the artist had no right to resell it. "I'm not gonna hand you my painting and watch you destroy it!"

"Oh, no, I wouldn't do that; it's too good and I wouldn't want to deprive you of the money. But you know that guy on a mountain top in Brazil..."

"Gone like it had wings!"
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Let's just imagine we had a huge debate about this and skip to the end.
We did https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=799498
Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM

episode where Mrs. Cleaver says "Ward don't you think you were too hard on the beaver last night?"
Old 01-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Quote:
First of all, it is indeed the customary and polite standard practice on this board, when posting a link, to include a brief summary of the content of the link. Sure, clicking a link might not be much effort, but it's even less effort for one person (who's already followed that link anyway) to give a summary than for all of the readers to view it.

Second, your response here to this social norm is way more heated than it needs to be. Cool it, right now. I recommend that you take a step away from this thread for a day or two, if that will help you keep your temper.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:47 PM

Sick over the last couple of days and was bingeing NCIS.

Went through almost all of the first 2 seasons. In every episode, Tony does something that would get him called in to HR, if not outright fired for inappropriate behavior.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM

Speaking of, The Todd in Scrubs is an HR's worst nightmare.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:10 PM

Get Smart: the two-parter at the end of Season Four, where a bunch of CONTROL agents (including Max and the Chief) are prisoners in a secret KAOS POW camp (it's supposed to be a spoof of Hogan's Heroes and The Great Escape.) At one point, Max has a plan to try to climb the electric fence surrounding the camp. The Chief rebuts this idea, pointing at an African-American man standing a few feet away and saying that he tried that plan last week.

Max: "So? He looks okay to me."

Chief: "He was white when he got here."

Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM

There were many episodes of Gilligan's Island where Ginger, or occasionally Mary Ann, would act sexually suggestively to one of the unmarried men (Gilligan, the Skipper or the Professor). The man would become uncomfortable and find an excuse to flee the situation. Today that type of scenario would only be used if the male character were gay.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowItAll View Post

(snipped)

That was likely inspired by this story.

https://people.com/archive/a-princet...s-vol-6-no-17/

More on the guy who did it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Aristotle_Phillips

How about the "Maude" episode where she found herself pregnant in her late 40s, and had an abortion? None of that would fly nowadays either, not on a sitcom anyway.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
To be fair, the bomb had no explosive components in it, but the design would have worked. I recall a story from Reader's Digest from the 70s about a physics student who designed an atomic bomb as a research paper and only had the paper confiscated
His name was John Aristotle Phillips, and he wrote a book about the experience, called Mushroom: The True Story of the A-Bomb Kid.

I met him at a conference once, where he was representing a software company he later founded. Nice guy, and we had a couple of good laughs quoting some of the lines from the book.