Old 06-27-2018, 01:11 PM

The Main Difference Between The 2000s And The 2010s

back in the 2000s, if you said the N-word, everyone around you said "OMG, what a racist shithead! I'm not talking to you anymore! Go to hell!" and you lost all your friends.

In the 2010s, if you say the N-word, half of the people around you say "YEAH, right on, fuck political correctness! Fucking special snowflakes offended by a word! FREE SPEECH, LIBTARDS!" and the other half beats you to a bloody pulp and works hard to track down your workplace to get you fired and tracks down your address to deliver 100 pizzas, and a riot forms between the two sides trying to decide how they should treat the guy who said the N-word, and it ends up on the news.

What happened when you said the N-word in other decades? If you said the N-word in the 1950s, did people just not respond at all?

Last edited by uqekizig; 06-27-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but if I said the n word in southern California, I'm pretty sure everyone around me would be appalled.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

A lot depends on the location.

In the 50s, you could use it in the South with impunity. In the North, it was considered rude and you would be discouraged from using it again.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
A lot depends on the location.

In the 50s, you could use it in the South with impunity. In the North, it was considered rude and you would be discouraged from using it again.
So basically there's a linear trend with usage of the N-word becoming more socially punishable over time.

At this rate, the 2030s will have vigilantes programming web crawlers to find instances of the N-word all over the internet, and AI getting their dox and sending automated messages to their employers and parents and friends. It's a dystopian future.

Last edited by uqekizig; 06-27-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 PM

1> There's a non-linear but long term trend in our society that being an asshole is less acceptable in public, yes.

2> You know the meaning and history of the word, don't be obtuse about it and pretend it isn't anything wrong.

3> Social pressure has existed as long as society and tribes. As our population gets larger and the interconnectivity of the world greater, aiming a vicious group based insult at someone can have a larger audience that you intended. This is no longer the village to village majority ethnic group controls the conversation world that allows such things with only limited consequences. It honestly doesn't matter if you don't like it or don't agree with it. It is a consequence of democratization and modern communications.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Oh, Please!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:26 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I grew up in West Texas. The N-word was so common, I don't think I had an inkling it was an insult until I was well into my teens.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 AM

Then and now, if I said it in anger, I'd expect and deserve a punch in the face! Same as any derogatory term used in anger.

Note to those who would point to my posts in my non-politically correct words thread, the key is I said in anger.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-13-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 AM

Oh, I can already see the posts...so it's okay to say if I'm not angry? No, not then or now. I can honestly say, to the best of my recollection, I've never uttered (though I have thought) any "racist" term in anger. Have it used it in a joke, yes. Would I do it today, no.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:41 AM

You people are actually responding to six month old gibberish?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:25 AM

And you're responding to responses to six month old gibberish?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:43 AM

I suspect people who missed this thread first time (probably because of its less-than-clear title) were intrigued by the OP as they'd recently posted another couple threads that screamed "just joined" but surprisingly that was not the case, so they were looking into their posting history. But I'm just speculating.

And the rise in the unacceptability of the word nigger is directly parallel to the rise in unacceptability of racism in general, no surprises there.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:02 AM

*sends MrDibble a pizza*

Is pineapple OK?
Old 01-13-2019, 11:36 AM

On pizza?

NO!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
On pizza?

NO!
It it so unacceptable that you now have to send me pizza?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
*sends MrDibble a pizza*

Is pineapple OK?
As long as it also has ham, sure it is.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
As long as it also has ham, sure it is.
Or anchovies.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I can think of several differences between this decade and the previous one that are bigger than the OP's premise.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uqekizig View Post
back in the 2000s, if you said the N-word, everyone around you said "OMG, what a racist shithead! I'm not talking to you anymore! Go to hell!" and you lost all your friends.

In the 2010s, if you say the N-word, half of the people around you say "YEAH, right on, fuck political correctness! Fucking special snowflakes offended by a word! FREE SPEECH, LIBTARDS!" and the other half beats you to a bloody pulp and works hard to track down your workplace to get you fired and tracks down your address to deliver 100 pizzas, and a riot forms between the two sides trying to decide how they should treat the guy who said the N-word, and it ends up on the news.

What happened when you said the N-word in other decades? If you said the N-word in the 1950s, did people just not respond at all?
In 1856, if you said that slavery was evil, someone might come up to you later and beat you half to death (while a friend held off any defenders with a gun) - and the guy who beat you would be hailed as a hero (by people who admire cowards), receive no jail time and be voted into high office.