Old 01-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
I am surprised that these men believe it's actually a 14 year old girl they are talking with.
If they're looking for a 14 year old girl, they're going to find a 14 year old girl. Even if a different person would know from the way she talks or the pictures they see or meeting in person that this isn't a 14 year old girl, that's what they're looking for and it's been so hard to find....and imagine if Humbert Humbert existed today.

In fact that brings up a good point. I think someone else mentioned Lolita as well. Yes, he could control and manipulate these girls, he referred to them as nympets, he wasn't just attracted to them, he's sure they're wildly attracted to him. To him, this is mutual.

So imagine HH is around today. He's in a chat room and a "14 year old girl" is finally talking to him. He's not thinking it's actually a 40 year old cop, he's thinking 'finally, just stay cool and I can get laid by tomorrow night'.

I assume this is some type of fallacy. Self fulfilled prophecy and confirmation bias don't quite fit, but something along those lines. They so desperately want something to be true that even when things start falling apart, they ignore the signs and keep marching forward. Almost like that friend we've all had over the years that ignored or couldn't see their new boyfriend/girlfriend's redflags.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
But maybe the show will scare off a lot of men who would otherwise be trying that shit.
I believe that is a reason the show stopped, people didn't spam underage kids nearly as much after several seasons of this show.

On the topic, one concern I have with this show is that it catches the low hanging fruit. Society likes to catch the low hanging fruit when it comes to sex offenders, but for the most part those are just the dysfunctional ones with no situational awareness.

The truly destructive sex offenders are the socially intelligent ones who work their way into positions of power and influence, and who know how to manipulate people around them.

Shows like to catch a predator just catch thirsty college age guys and guys who lack the social intelligence to avoid these scams. The truly dangerous sex offenders continue their lives unmolested.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Tonight, on "To Catch a Creditor"...*

mmm
"Take a seat right over there."
Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Tonight, on "To Catch a Creditor"...*

mmm

Not original, stolen from TMZ
That doesn't make sense though... it should be "To Catch a Debtor."
Old 01-17-2019, 08:16 AM

Apparently,it was a "felony charge of issuing a bad check" for the second one, and he's lucky he wasn't charged with larceny.

I guess "To Catch a Bad-Check-Writer" doesn't have the same ring.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
"Take a seat right over there."
They really should have done that. Had the shop owner work out him dropping off a little bit of money, $100 or so each week to show he's making a goodwill effort to pay it back. When he stops in to make the first payment, the cameras can descend on him.

And, to this day, I never understood why those guys stuck around. Within the first 30 seconds they knew they weren't going to talk their way out of it. Walk out the door and get arrested. Why sit for an interview? I suppose they still thought they could talk their way out of it.

Do they have to sign a release to be on TV? It seems to me having hidden cameras as well as a full camera and production crew in a private residence would violate expectation of privacy, even if you're invited to the house and show up willingly.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post

And, to this day, I never understood why those guys stuck around. Within the first 30 seconds they knew they weren't going to talk their way out of it. Walk out the door and get arrested. Why sit for an interview? I suppose they still thought they could talk their way out of it.
There were quite a few who tried to bolt as soon as they saw Hansen. The cops (and cameras) would always run after them.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I believe that is a reason the show stopped, people didn't spam underage kids nearly as much after several seasons of this show.

On the topic, one concern I have with this show is that it catches the low hanging fruit. Society likes to catch the low hanging fruit when it comes to sex offenders, but for the most part those are just the dysfunctional ones with no situational awareness.

The truly destructive sex offenders are the socially intelligent ones who work their way into positions of power and influence, and who know how to manipulate people around them.

Shows like to catch a predator just catch thirsty college age guys and guys who lack the social intelligence to avoid these scams. The truly dangerous sex offenders continue their lives unmolested.
They're all dangerous. Someone who's so obsessed to have sex with an underage girl that they're willing to presumably block out all kinds of warning signs that tell them 'This is nutty as fuck' as they're chatting and driving to the home of a complete stranger to, you know, attempt sex inside said stranger's home with a 14-year-old...that's a person in need of a head examination. They do this knowing that there's at least a chance of an encounter with an enraged pistol-waving father, or a swarm of officers. And yet their obsession overrides all sense. It's not a stretch to assume that a certain subset of this population would take it a step further and do real harm to a child, be it abduction or worse.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
So imagine HH is around today. He's in a chat room and a "14 year old girl" is finally talking to him. He's not thinking it's actually a 40 year old cop, he's thinking 'finally, just stay cool and I can get laid by tomorrow night'...
Well, that and "I can't forget to stop and pick up a couple 6-packs of Mike's Hard Lemonaid!"
Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
Well, that and "I can't forget to stop and pick up a couple 6-packs of Mike's Hard Lemonaid!"
I actually thought about including the booze and condoms into that line.
For me, the condoms was always what sealed the deal. They don't even have plausible deniability at this point. I remember a lot of those guys would tell Chris they were actually going to try and talk this girl out of what she thought he was coming here to do. That all goes out the window when you have condoms that you clearly bought a half hour ago in a shopping bag with some beer.

Last edited by Joey P; 01-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
There were quite a few who tried to bolt as soon as they saw Hansen. The cops (and cameras) would always run after them.
There was one where he saw Hansen and just turned around, calmly walked outside and keeled down with his hands up.

Despite their strong compulsion, they all knew what they were trying to do was wrong or at least that society viewed them that way. There was a man who posted her that admitted to having sexual attraction to children. It couldn't be helped. So what did he do? Made sure to never look at a website that would trigger his feelings. He didn't go to places where there would be lots of kids. He made sure that he was never alone in a room with a child under any circumstances. He knew he was cursed with wrong feelings but he took personal responsibility.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
They're all dangerous. Someone who's so obsessed to have sex with an underage girl that they're willing to presumably block out all kinds of warning signs that tell them 'This is nutty as fuck' as they're chatting and driving to the home of a complete stranger to, you know, attempt sex inside said stranger's home with a 14-year-old...that's a person in need of a head examination. They do this knowing that there's at least a chance of an encounter with an enraged pistol-waving father, or a swarm of officers. And yet their obsession overrides all sense. It's not a stretch to assume that a certain subset of this population would take it a step further and do real harm to a child, be it abduction or worse.
Yeah, they're all dangerous. I'm not denying that.

But sex crimes are rampant and rarely get reported. I feel shows like this offer a false sense of security by picking the low hanging fruit, and then presenting that as if it is stopping sex crimes. Taking down the dumbest and most clueless sex offenders won't stop the smart ones.

The truly dangerous ones, again, are the smart ones. The ones that work their way into positions of power and influence and then victimize dozens or hundreds of people. People like Bill Cosby, Jimmy Savile, etc.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-17-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I actually thought about including the booze and condoms into that line.
For me, the condoms was always what sealed the deal. They don't even have plausible deniability at this point. I remember a lot of those guys would tell Chris they were actually going to try and talk this girl out of what she thought he was coming here to do. That all goes out the window when you have condoms that you clearly bought a half hour ago in a shopping bag with some beer.
Oh, they just brought the condoms as part of the show-and-tell about what to look out for. "If you see a guy wearing one like this, run."