Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,162

So help me Aquaman looks like a good movie!


The trailer is here. It looks like a good, fun to watch movie.

Full disclosure, I actually liked Justice League.
  #2  
Old 07-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,332
I am, once again, cautiously optimistic.
  #3  
Old 07-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Stranger On A Train is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 18,969
If it didn’t star Jason Moana I would have assumed it was another of their CW “Arrowverse” shows. I’m sure they spent a lot of money to make the CGI look that way, but it really looks cheap to me. And as much as the ‘Brah’ Aquaman provided some decent commit relief in Justice League that didn’t seem awkwardly shoehorned in from obvious to Whedon post-production reshoots, it just isn’t a character who can convincingly carry an entire feature on his own. But this trailer isn’t the complete dumpster fire that Shazam! is. “Okay, elevator pitch: Big meets The Greatest American Hero!”

Gal Godat deserves a 600% salary bump for keeping the entire DC film franchise afloat at this point.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 07-21-2018 at 05:40 PM.
  #4  
Old 07-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,965
Suicide Squad looked great in the trailers. The problems with DC movies are usually poor characterization and plotting. And those are hard to spot in a sixty second trailer.

At this point, I remain pessimistic on DC movies unless I hear good word of mouth on them from people that have seen the completed movie.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 07-21-2018 at 06:09 PM.
  #5  
Old 07-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,994
I dunno... it's no Empires of the Deep.
  #6  
Old 07-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
But this trailer isn’t the complete dumpster fire that Shazam! is. “Okay, elevator pitch: Big meets The Greatest American Hero!”
I thought that looked like 10x more fun than Aquaman.
  #7  
Old 07-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Stranger On A Train is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 18,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The problems with DC movies are usually poor characterization and plotting. And those are hard to spot in a sixty second trailer.
From what was presented in this trailer, the plot seems to have been copied from Black Panther with the setting changed to in underwater kingdom with some slight retooling of roles. Of course, this strategy worked reasonably well in Wonder Woman, which appeared to draw whole elements from Captain America: The First Avenger and set them in the First World War, but Gal Gadot was able to carry that film despite often clunky pacing and cringeworthy dialogue. Is Jason Moana a similarly undiscovered talent? I guess we’ll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I thought that looked like 10x more fun than Aquaman.
Fun? In the MST3K sense, yes. Worth shelling out $20 to watch it in theaters? Pass, thank you.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 07-21-2018 at 06:20 PM.
  #8  
Old 07-21-2018, 06:55 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Suicide Squad looked great in the trailers. The problems with DC movies are usually poor characterization and plotting. And those are hard to spot in a sixty second trailer.

At this point, I remain pessimistic on DC movies unless I hear good word of mouth on them from people that have seen the completed movie.
Agreed. All DC movies suck donkey balls until proven otherwise. The more Zach Snyder involvement, the higher the degree of suckitude. Wonder Woman is the only movie that was better than awful.
  #9  
Old 07-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
From what was presented in this trailer, the plot seems to have been copied from Black Panther with the setting changed to in underwater kingdom with some slight retooling of roles. Of course, this strategy worked reasonably well in Wonder Woman, which appeared to draw whole elements from Captain America: The First Avenger and set them in the First World War, but Gal Gadot was able to carry that film despite often clunky pacing and cringeworthy dialogue. Is Jason Moana a similarly undiscovered talent? I guess we’ll see.
And I feel like I'm seeing a lot of Spiderman in Shazam.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. You don't need to tell an original story to tell a story well.
  #10  
Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 PM
It's Not Rocket Surgery! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brownbackistan
Posts: 4,340
BTW, it's Jason Mamoa. Moana is an animated movie.

Last edited by It's Not Rocket Surgery!; 07-21-2018 at 08:55 PM.
  #11  
Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I am, once again, cautiously optimistic.
I'm cautiously with you in this.

I liked-ish Justice League - that is to say, I liked the characters, but the bad guy was boring - and I'm reasonably fond of the tension in the scene with the resurrected Superman where Arthur is the one that realizes "He's not all right." I don't think they've established if Arthur's telepathy can extend to creatures other than fish, but if so, I can imagine him getting a vibe that Kal-El was not going to be cool with recent events.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #12  
Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 20,930
I've only seen him in Game of Thrones and I got the distinct impression that he was hired for his appearance not his acting prowess (no offense to the man). And I suspect that his fame is largely an effect of female fans of that series who love the thought of a barbarian man three times their size having his way with them.

If they were smart, they'd try to target that audience and adapt the content to match. Make it all about Aquaman trying to save some mermaid girl, portrayed by a lythe, little blonde woman. Ship it as the most romantic film with big budget special effects since Titanic and you'll have a huge money maker.

My guess is that they'll try for a generic action hero presentation, which will mean that only men will show up to watch and they'll be largely unimpressed by Momoa's ability to carry a film.
  #13  
Old 07-21-2018, 09:09 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 34,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Not Rocket Surgery! View Post
BTW, it's Jason Mamoa. Moana is an animated movie.
Ahem. Momoa
  #14  
Old 07-21-2018, 09:24 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,258
I don't know, that whole scene of him swimming into Atlantis or whatever it is made me have flashbacks of Phantom Menace, will Jar Jar be in the background somewhere?
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #15  
Old 07-21-2018, 09:30 PM
blob's Avatar
blob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 940
I haven't watched the trailer, I hate trailers, they can ruin the movie by showing too much. Anyway, I thought Jason Momoa was good in the Justice League movie, so I'll probably see this because of him. I think he can carry a movie.
  #16  
Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,486
Well, worst case it's an underwater-superhero disaster.


An imperius wreck.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 07-21-2018 at 09:33 PM.
  #17  
Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I've only seen him in Game of Thrones and I got the distinct impression that he was hired for his appearance not his acting prowess (no offense to the man). And I suspect that his fame is largely an effect of female fans of that series who love the thought of a barbarian man three times their size having his way with them.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I've never seen Game of Thrones, honestly, but what seems to come out of Momoa is charisma. He's one of the few people in the DC movies who actually seems to be enjoying himself. That sells to the audience when you're dealing with a superhero action picture. Know that what you're doing is silly and communicate to the audience that it's a lot of fun and they'll love you for it.

Honestly, that's what the DC universe's focus on dark and gritty has always missed about superhero movies. They should be fun. If I want grim and dark I'll see a Jim Jarmusch movie.
  #18  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 PM
blob's Avatar
blob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
but what seems to come out of Momoa is charisma. He's one of the few people in the DC movies who actually seems to be enjoying himself.
Yes, and he's believable as the characters. He could have been hired because he's drop-dead gorgeous handsome, but he plays a role in each case. There's no way I could sit through watching him just looking handsome, I'd be bored witless. He's what's-his-face in Game of Thrones, and he's Aquaman in the Justice League. His looks and his physique are obviously important to the characters, but they can't make you want to sit there watching him, there's more to it than that.
  #19  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 20,930
I've now watched the trailer. He presents pretty well.

The girl's hair looks a little too much like a wig and the plot does look pretty Black Panther-y, but I'll probably watch it. Looks decent.

I'd still say that they could have doubled or tripled their money by following the strategy I suggested, and that they have wasted an opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blob View Post
Yes, and he's believable as the characters. He could have been hired because he's drop-dead gorgeous handsome, but he plays a role in each case. There's no way I could sit through watching him just looking handsome, I'd be bored witless. He's what's-his-face in Game of Thrones, and he's Aquaman in the Justice League. His looks and his physique are obviously important to the characters, but they can't make you want to sit there watching him, there's more to it than that.
I'm reasonably sure that I didn't propose having him standing around looking handsome. I suggested a maiden rescue film, which strongly implies action.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-21-2018 at 10:24 PM.
  #20  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:44 PM
GuanoLad's Avatar
GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 24,606
I haven't watched any of the DC movies, they really haven't appealed at even a base level. But if they had started out looking like this, I almost certainly would have been a fan as much as I am for Marvel.

Too late now, my disinterest hasn't wavered despite the apparent superficial improvement in stylistic choices.
  #21  
Old 07-21-2018, 11:28 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 43,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
If they were smart, they'd try to target that audience and adapt the content to match. Make it all about Aquaman trying to save some mermaid girl, portrayed by a lythe, little blonde woman. Ship it as the most romantic film with big budget special effects since Titanic and you'll have a huge money maker.
Looks like they’re making him a dad, which is probably even better.
  #22  
Old 07-22-2018, 12:24 AM
bionic_man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 46
If it looks good it probably is..
  #23  
Old 07-22-2018, 12:31 AM
It's Not Rocket Surgery! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brownbackistan
Posts: 4,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Ahem. Momoa
  #24  
Old 07-22-2018, 01:03 AM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,332
To those who say the plot looks Black Pantherish, I think the plot is actually going to borrow heavily from Throne of Atlantis, which was written by Geoff Johns, like the movie.
  #25  
Old 07-22-2018, 06:23 AM
blob's Avatar
blob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I'm reasonably sure that I didn't propose having him standing around looking handsome. I suggested a maiden rescue film, which strongly implies action.
Whatever. My point is the same, good-looking people can't just rely on their looks. Same with Gal Gadot. Her pretty face might have had something to do with her getting hired in the first place, but it's her on-screen talent that has had me liking wonder woman in the movie and Justice League.

Same with Momoa, he did a good job as that big horse guy in GOT and again as aquaman. These days, it's all about money. If the people with the money didn't think he was any good, they'd have scuttled this project.
  #26  
Old 07-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 20,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by blob View Post
If the people with the money didn't think he was any good, they'd have scuttled this project.
Possibly true. As said, he does present pretty well in the trailer.

GoT should have allowed him to do more, possibly.
  #27  
Old 07-22-2018, 07:25 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,363
Yeah, looking it up, for all people talk about him in Game of Thrones he was only in the first two seasons. If it's still being talked about he must have done something right.
  #28  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Hampshire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,887
Waterkanda Forever!
  #29  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Quimby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
To those who say the plot looks Black Pantherish, I think the plot is actually going to borrow heavily from Throne of Atlantis, which was written by Geoff Johns, like the movie.
Agreed and FWIW that story predates Black Panther. Hell, palace intrigue stories of stolen thrones predate everything.

Also Aquaman with a chip on his shoulder is from the comics. There have been several incarcerations of the character over the years.

To me it looks fun, exciting and visually interesting.

Last edited by Quimby; 07-22-2018 at 10:21 AM.
  #30  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:33 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 11,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Possibly true. As said, he does present pretty well in the trailer.

GoT should have allowed him to do more, possibly.
Mamoa was is Stargate Atlantis, if anyone remembers that. I enjoyed him in that role. I think he can carry a film. Frankly, he and Gal Godot should be looking to get out of DC altogether, but I imagine they're locked in.
  #31  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 34,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Mamoa was is Stargate Atlantis, if anyone remembers that. I enjoyed him in that role. I think he can carry a film. Frankly, he and Gal Godot should be looking to get out of DC altogether, but I imagine they're locked in.
Wonder Woman made Gadot a star and is one of the most highly acclaimed movies of the genre. I'm sure that however her career goes, she won't be damaged by her Wonder Woman obligations.

For that matter, Jason Momoa will be fine too. I don't know the details of their contracts, but I doubt that either of them, or any of the big stars in the series, are slated for nearly as many movies as Robert Downey Jr., etc. They'll have plenty of opportunity to do other work.
  #32  
Old 07-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,805
That red hair is distractingly bad. Especially given the context, it looks like amateur Little Mermaid cosplay.
  #33  
Old 07-22-2018, 07:24 PM
G0sp3l is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 47°9′S 126°43′
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
If it didn’t star Jason Moana I would have assumed it was another of their CW “Arrowverse” shows. I’m sure they spent a lot of money to make the CGI look that way, but it really looks cheap to me. And as much as the ‘Brah’ Aquaman provided some decent commit relief in Justice League that didn’t seem awkwardly shoehorned in from obvious to Whedon post-production reshoots, it just isn’t a character who can convincingly carry an entire feature on his own. But this trailer isn’t the complete dumpster fire that Shazam! is. “Okay, elevator pitch: Big meets The Greatest American Hero!”

Gal Godat deserves a 600% salary bump for keeping the entire DC film franchise afloat at this point.

Stranger
Goddamnit!!! I hate the cheese-ball Shazam!!! Alex Ross (genuflect) gave us the One True acceptable portrayal of Captain Marvel!!! That hairdo looks like a half-assed homage to the 70's kiddie show! Light-hearted doesn't have to mean stupid. I'm DC will get their dark and gritty on once Black Adam arrives.
  #34  
Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 PM
ricksummon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Columbus, OH, USA
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
I'm DC will get their dark and gritty on once Black Adam arrives.
Just as long as they have a scene like this. (YouTube link.)
  #35  
Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 PM
BobLibDem is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 20,980
To quote Raj, Aquaman is lame. Here's a superhero that's painfully easy to avoid: stay out of the freaking water.
  #36  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:01 PM
The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
To quote Raj, Aquaman is lame. Here's a superhero that's painfully easy to avoid: stay out of the freaking water.
To quote a comic-book writer who wrote both Batman and the inhumanly swift and strong Justice Leaguer who can see in the dark and survive the crushing pressures of the ocean depths: “if you take Aquaman and dump him in the middle of Gotham, and leave him completely on his own, he’ll do fine. If you take Batman, drop him in the middle of the Atlantic with nothing but the cape on his back, chances are you’ll never hear from him again . . . particularly if it’s shark-infested waters.”
  #37  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 PM
4d3fect is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Betelgeuse vicinity
Posts: 737
Entourage ruined Aquaman for me. I just can't stop laughing whenever I see the word.
  #38  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 4,816
...yeah that looks cool Shazam looks awesome too. No more grim-dark DC. These are the kinda movies I want to see.
  #39  
Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 AM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I've only seen him in Game of Thrones and I got the distinct impression that he was hired for his appearance not his acting prowess (no offense to the man). And I suspect that his fame is largely an effect of female fans of that series who love the thought of a barbarian man three times their size having his way with them.

If they were smart, they'd try to target that audience and adapt the content to match. Make it all about Aquaman trying to save some mermaid girl, portrayed by a lythe, little blonde woman.
. . .
You know nothing Sage Rat. Women are sick to death of the man saves helpless woman trope. We are all about self-saving princesses these days. Precisely what was so hot about the Drogo/Danaerys story line was the way he made room for her to grow into her leadership abilities. His respect for her was incredibly hot.

And yes, Jason Momoa in tight pants = worth the ticket price. But he's not a fast talking quip delivery system, which is what I think most comic book moviegoers want. He's an actual emotional actor, which may not go over too well with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
That red hair is distractingly bad. Especially given the context, it looks like amateur Little Mermaid cosplay.
I so agree with this. That was truly awful. They couldn't put in a few low lights? Or at least use a color found in nature?

Last edited by TruCelt; 07-23-2018 at 10:16 AM.
  #40  
Old 07-23-2018, 01:18 PM
furryman's Avatar
furryman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Collinwood, Collinsport
Posts: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
Goddamnit!!! I hate the cheese-ball Shazam!!! Alex Ross (genuflect) gave us the One True acceptable portrayal of Captain Marvel!!! That hairdo looks like a half-assed homage to the 70's kiddie show! Light-hearted doesn't have to mean stupid. I'm DC will get their dark and gritty on once Black Adam arrives.
Fun fact: The facial features of the original Captain Marvel was based on a young James Stewart. That picture looks like James Stewart on steroids.

Last edited by furryman; 07-23-2018 at 01:19 PM.
  #41  
Old 07-23-2018, 01:30 PM
Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The trailer is here. It looks like a good, fun to watch movie.

Full disclosure, I actually liked Justice League.
It looks... fun. I don't know that it actually looks good.
  #42  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:29 PM
Sir T-Cups is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,439
It looks just as good as every other DC movie. Call me psychic, this is how this movie is going to go:

Step One: Make a good trailer everyone talks about. But since it's DC everyone will say "whoa, every other trailer looked good, but it'll probably suck!"

Step Two: Movie comes out and is actually a pretty good movie. Not spectacular, but quite good.

Step Three: People see the movie, but because it's DC they automatically hate it and talk about how it's trying to be Marvel but isn't. "The movie is stupid/doesn't make sense/sucks"

Step Four: No one goes and sees the movie because word of mouth says it's bad, even though it isn't.

Step Five: A billion articles about how DC isn't as good as Marvel and why and blah blah.


It's the same for every DC movie.

BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad were pretty good movies in their own right, but no one gives them a chance and they tank. For some reason, Wonder Woman gets a pass. I am guessing it's because Gal Gadot is beautiful and did the character well, but the movie itself isn't all that particularly good, it's the same as every other DC movie.

So, I'll see this movie and enjoy it, but I doubt the sentiment will translate.
__________________
Want to see more of my adventures in Orlando? Follow Mrs. Cups and me @theorlandoduo on Instagram. And check out our blog too: TheOrlandoDuo.com
  #43  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:37 PM
blondebear is offline
Shouting Grasshopper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Meridian/280
Posts: 13,809
Wait just a minute, where are Vinnie Chase and Mandy Moore?

Last edited by blondebear; 07-23-2018 at 02:37 PM.
  #44  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:59 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad were pretty good movies in their own right, but no one gives them a chance and they tank.
Suicide Squad was awful. I mean, obviously we have a difference of opinion but I went into that movie ready to love it and it was some of the most terribly edited, obviously spliced together from re-cuts, nonsensical shit I've ever seen first run in the theater. To be fair, I'm usually pretty choosy about what'll get me into a theater. If it tanked (did it? I assume it made a profit), it tanked because everyone walked out of opening night like I did saying "what was THAT mess?" not because of some latent Marvel fan-ism.

I never saw BvS or JL so have no opinion on those. I'm not a comics guy and don't really care if something is DC or Marvel except that Marvel has been making better movies for the last decade.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-23-2018 at 03:02 PM.
  #45  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:34 PM
Stranger On A Train is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 18,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad were pretty good movies in their own right, but no one gives them a chance and they tank. For some reason, Wonder Woman gets a pass. I am guessing it's because Gal Gadot is beautiful and did the character well, but the movie itself isn't all that particularly good, it's the same as every other DC movie.
Justice League and Suicide Squad were not objectively good movies in any sense. You may have enjoyed them for your own reasons, and your opinion is valid for you, but the tonal shifts, lack of plot coherence, inconsistent characterization, and general lack of clear editing (especially in Suicide Squad) are indicative of rushed production and lack of a strong directorial hand. Your description above makes it seem like there is some cabal of people influencing the public opinion of the DC films instead of a genuine lack of enthusiasm by the majority of viewers. Wonder Woman “got a pass” because it at least started strong, was the first superhero film to feature strong female characters in leading and critical supporting roles, and was carried by Gal Gadot who despite a lack of prior acting experience is a great screen presence and managed to carry the film past some of the poor pacing and clunky dialogue. Aquaman will do well or poorly based upon how well Jason Momoa can carry the film (I have doubts but I’ll admit to having had similar concerns about Gadot, and she turned out to be the actress that is carrying the entire franchise at this point) and how much the film can consistently deliver what is appealing in the trailer.

As for the supposed “MCU vs DCEU” argument, most filmgoers don’t care about the “brand identity” of the films (myself included), or indeed are even aware that the characters belong to one studio or another. Marvel Studios has made a few pretty poor, or at least unmemorable films (The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World) but has largely succeeded by doing a number of smart things, including recruiting directors and letting them have a personal vision while feeding into the overarching MCU storyline, cannily selecting actors who manage to portray their characters in a memorable way, patiently developing projects and cultivating a bullpen of screenwriters to write in a narratively consistent fashion, and generally deftly balancing humor and pathos rather than just wantonly inserting jokes into dialogue. If the DC films are generally rated pretty low, it is in no small measure because DC Films is not making particularly good movies that appeal to a mass audience, nor narratively and thematically interesting movies that are critically praised.

Stranger
  #46  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:41 PM
G0sp3l is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 47°9′S 126°43′
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
It looks just as good as every other DC movie. Call me psychic, this is how this movie is going to go:

Step One: Make a good trailer everyone talks about. But since it's DC everyone will say "whoa, every other trailer looked good, but it'll probably suck!"

Step Two: Movie comes out and is actually a pretty good movie. Not spectacular, but quite good.

Step Three: People see the movie, but because it's DC they automatically hate it and talk about how it's trying to be Marvel but isn't. "The movie is stupid/doesn't make sense/sucks"

Step Four: No one goes and sees the movie because word of mouth says it's bad, even though it isn't.

Step Five: A billion articles about how DC isn't as good as Marvel and why and blah blah.


It's the same for every DC movie.

BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad were pretty good movies in their own right, but no one gives them a chance and they tank. For some reason, Wonder Woman gets a pass. I am guessing it's because Gal Gadot is beautiful and did the character well, but the movie itself isn't all that particularly good, it's the same as every other DC movie.

So, I'll see this movie and enjoy it, but I doubt the sentiment will translate.
Gonna have to disagree about BvS and Suicide Squad, they were both big disappointments to me. Especially Suicide Squad, I still have every issue of the original run. Those guys were Squad in name only, they are not supposed to be good guys. Color by numbers film-making ruined what could have been great. Deadshot and Enchantress really pissed me off.

That rant aside, I am coming around on the Aquaman movie, I haven't seen Justice League, but I think the smart-ass Arthur may work. I prefer the noble Arthurian portrayal, but not everyone can be as correct as I am.
  #47  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Fun fact: The facial features of the original Captain Marvel was based on a young James Stewart. That picture looks like James Stewart on steroids.
Fred MacMurray.
  #48  
Old 07-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 34,917
Suicide Squad was completely nonsensical. As someone who grew up a DC reader I found it an insult to my intelligence.

Batman Versus Superman was in my opinion not terrible but it wasn’t really all that good either, except in the scene that introduced Gal Gadot. She was electrifying.

Justice League was mediocre.

Wonder Woman was my most favorite superhero movie ever, even given that the final sequence was not great.
  #49  
Old 07-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,355
Yeah, Wonder Woman was great, but the ending sucked.

Spoiler for the ending:
SPOILER:

"Hey, I was Ares, God of War all along. But you know, I don't make humans fight. They do that on their own, and I just sit back and enjoy it. You can kill me...but you can't kill the violence in the human heart."

Gal Godot then explodinates CGI Ares into a million pieces.

And the entire German army blinks their eyes and drops their weapons. The war is now over. It turns out they were all being mind controlled into fighting by Ares, and the war really was all his fault.
  #50  
Old 07-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Plumpudding is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
It looks just as good as every other DC movie. Call me psychic, this is how this movie is going to go:

Step One: Make a good trailer everyone talks about. But since it's DC everyone will say "whoa, every other trailer looked good, but it'll probably suck!"

Step Two: Movie comes out and is actually a pretty good movie. Not spectacular, but quite good.

Step Three: People see the movie, but because it's DC they automatically hate it and talk about how it's trying to be Marvel but isn't. "The movie is stupid/doesn't make sense/sucks"

Step Four: No one goes and sees the movie because word of mouth says it's bad, even though it isn't.

Step Five: A billion articles about how DC isn't as good as Marvel and why and blah blah.


It's the same for every DC movie.

BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad were pretty good movies in their own right, but no one gives them a chance and they tank. For some reason, Wonder Woman gets a pass. I am guessing it's because Gal Gadot is beautiful and did the character well, but the movie itself isn't all that particularly good, it's the same as every other DC movie.

So, I'll see this movie and enjoy it, but I doubt the sentiment will translate.
I only saw BvS, but that movie was laugh-out-loud stupid. Very possibly a future so-bad-it's-good classic, in my opinion!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017