Old 05-16-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

TV shows you record, but never watch

We have a number of TV shows scheduled to record automatically on the DVR. Many of these are shows we used to watch regularly, but don't anymore, but haven't deleted from the recording schedule.

A lot of them seem to be ABC sitcoms for some reason. I quit watching Modern Family a couple of years before I realized it was still recording. That has since been deleted, but the same thing is happening now with The Middle, The Goldbergs, and Black-ish. Twenty-something episodes pile up over a season, never watched, and then eventually get deleted to make room for other stuff we record but don't watch.

So, what shows do you record but never actually get around to watching?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 AM

I do that with "Married with Children" It runs about 8 times a day, so the recordings pile up very quickly. I scan the list, keep my favorites that I'd like to see again, and delete many. Sometimes I'll record a movie and end up not watching it. Sometimes it's because it happens to come on while I'm watching TV, so I'll just watch it in real time. I like saving up series and "binge watching" them.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:22 AM

"Full Frontal with Samantha Bee."

Since it's all topical humor, by the time I get around to watching it, the subject matter has faded from the national spotlight.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Seal Team I set it up to record the series before it started. Watched the first episode and found it so horribly done that I barely made it through.

I thought that maybe I'd give it another chance and watch ep 2 but just can't bring myself to try it. In the meantime the episodes pile up on the DVR.

Also, Mr. Robot. I struggled through a few episodes but the plot is so convoluted that I'm beginning to not care. It's a shame because Rami Malik is putting out a great performance.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Law & Order. My wife has our DVR set to record every episode that shows up, on whatever channel (there are like three or four channels showing L&O reruns these days). Our DVR is pretty much constantly at 99-100% full, and the majority of that content is Law & Order episodes. I honestly believe that there is no hour of the day in which some iteration of Law & Order is not being shown on some channel somewhere.

Whenever she's bored, she will scan through the episodes, pick out one that she likes, and watch it. There is no realistic hope that she will actually watch all of them, and indeed, older ones are constantly being deleted automatically as new ones get recorded. But it does mean that she's never at a loss for something to watch!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:47 AM

I've recorded the PBS series Soundbreaking twice now.

I watched a couple of episodes the first time around. Never got to the rest. Then I upgraded my box, lost everything on the DVR. Recorded the series when it got re-run, and haven't watched a single one yet!

Not sure why. I really love the subject matter.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Shows that are on the record list even though we haven't watched them in years:
Law & Order: SVU
Grey's Anatomy.

OTOH, since the DVR was recording GA a couple weeks ago, I dropped down into live TV right when Nurse Olivia, who was axed from the show in season 6, turned back up. So saw a few minutes of nice/odd callback to the early, good years.

I also have a generic problem in getting around to watching the last episode or so of a series. Still haven't watched the last episode(s) of: Pushing Daisies, Rescue Me, Monk, Episodes, Major Crimes. Only just recently finally watched the last episode of Portlandia.

Have a whole season of Orphan Black, most of a season each of Halt and Catch Fire and Mr. Robot.

Once you get into streaming, the "to-do" list is huge. Starting with the rest of the 2nd season of Sneaky Pete. And on and on.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I have both The Gifted and Black Lightning sitting on my TiVo player waiting to be watched ... and I just can't make myself watch them.

Sadly, after nearly four seasons, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is starting to fall into the same category.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

My DVR is jammed with a lot of PBS programming that my wife asks me to record, but rarely wants to watch. Periodically, I go through and just delete the older stuff. She has yet to ask about any of it.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I got Star Trek Discovery and The Orville that I'm about to delete.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Agents of SHIELD is another one I quit watching, was still recording, and finally deleted from the schedule. And then a few weeks ago my wife and I started watching again!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Sadly, after nearly four seasons, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is starting to fall into the same category.
Same here. Every time we're looking for something on the DVR to watch, we both look hard to find something other than Agents of SHIELD. We'll probably finish watching them eventually (we're about halfway through the current season) but only if we're all out of other options.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 PM

The Flash and Supergirl.

Oh, and Trust. I watched the first episode, and it was kind of interesting and Donald Southerland is great, but I haven't been back to it.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I got Star Trek Discovery and The Orville that I'm about to delete.
I recorded the first few episodes of Orville, heard how bad it is, and deleted 'em without watching.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

I do watch Mysteries at the Museum, but only when nothing else is on and the internet connection is acting up too much to allow for streaming. I typically have 80+ episodes available.

I couldn't bring myself to watch last season's American Horror Story...I ended up deleting the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Huh. I'm liking The Orville, Discovery, and Agents of SHIELD keeps me watching, even though I see the beginning of the plot lines and often think, "Oh, I don't want to watch a half-season about THIS!" No, apparently I do. They drag me in.

I save and marathon some things. Haven't watched the latest season of The Expanse yet but theres no doubt that I will. Jessica Jones season 2 lingers in limbo until I feel like watching a moody drunken half-assed superhero mope through life. (I'm looking forward to a great new season of Daredevil, and another six good episodes of Luke Cage ) I found out The Evil Dead series was ending, and now I have 2-3 episodes I waited to watch all at once. Better Call Saul is another one that will sit there forever. Don't ever seem to be in the mood to start it, and then when I do, I've finished it in days or a week.

Onto the longer-term space-takers, and the new, uncertain ones. I have teh Dirk Gently series sitting there, that I SWEAR I will watch eventually. I wasn't a huge fan of the books, but I hear they diverge a bit, so that might be a good thing for me. The Terror will get a watch at some point. I'm sure. Barry is sitting there waiting, as well as Counterpart and all of the seasons of Preacher. Legion is questionable - it got pretty trippy at the end of the first season, and i haven't returned. Mr Robot was enjoyable to me for the first season, but haven't watched it since. I'm afraid it's the dark horse for me to ever watch it before it's deleted, at this point.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I recorded CNN's The 70's and The 80's well over a year ago and I still haven't watched them.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
I have teh Dirk Gently series sitting there, that I SWEAR I will watch eventually.
American or British?
Quote:
I wasn't a huge fan of the books, but I hear they diverge a bit
If the former, "a bit" is an understatement. AIUI, the series takes place after the events in the books and makes references to them at times. The couch, anyway.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-16-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
American or British?If the former, "a bit" is an understatement. AIUI, the series takes place after the events in the books and makes references to them at times. The couch, anyway.
American. Should have known there was a British one as well. Might have to hunt to down so I have another show to not watch

Last edited by Face Intentionally Left Blank; 05-16-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:19 PM

The Simpsons. I am torn because I used to LOVE The Simpsons but of course it's not quite so good anymore. Usually I have 6 or 7 episodes sitting around and sometimes I play them when I'm only halfway paying attention.
Legion. This is a really intriguing show but it kind of requires you to pay attention, and I'm not always in the mood for a show I have to focus on. I'm sure that sounds weird but at least half the time the TV's on, it's basically background noise and not what I would call "active" viewing.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I quit watching Modern Family a couple of years before I realized it was still recording.
I have it set to record everything Ty Burrell is in... which means it still records Modern Family, even though it's been a few years since I could stand watching that dreck. So I just delete it every time without watching it.

And Samantha Bee.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I recorded the first few episodes of Orville, heard how bad it is, and deleted 'em without watching.
Where in the world were you hearing Orvile was bad?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I still have tons of Fear of and Walking Dead on the DVR. I find it hard to care.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Where in the world were you hearing Orvile was bad?
This very board.

Maybe not "bad" but certainly "not good enough to care".
Old 05-18-2018, 01:28 PM

Jeopardy!

I record it every day, but I only keep 10 episodes on the DVR or else it would fill up. Sometimes I'll binge a couple episodes while cleaning on the weekend because it's easy to listen to while I'm moving around. But it usually ends up piling up.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:07 PM

I will watch them eventually but I have like 9 episodes of John Oliver's show on my DVR.

I had like 10 episodes of Designated Survivor sitting there and decided I would never watch them so it has been purged.

A 15 minute long Justice League Cartoon aired last summer. I have like 20 episodes of that also on there. I will watch them sooner or later.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Murder in Paradise. It has so many factors I should like -- British series. Light comedy. Exotic location shooting. I can't maintain interest through an episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
Law & Order. My wife has our DVR set to record every episode that shows up, on whatever channel (there are like three or four channels showing L&O reruns these days). Our DVR is pretty much constantly at 99-100% full, and the majority of that content is Law & Order episodes.
On my TiVo I can set the recording setting to Keep at Most = 25 and Keep Until I Delete. Then it will record a good number of them and then stop tying up a tuner trying to record more until she watches and deletes some.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:18 AM

I still have the final 2 episodes of TRUE BLOOD on the DVR. Just can't bring myself to finish it off I guess.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Murder in Paradise. It has so many factors I should like -- British series. Light comedy. Exotic location shooting. I can't maintain interest through an episode.
Maybe you should try watching Death in Paradise instead.

It's one of those "popular but for no good reason" shows like Scooby-Doo, and just as repetitive.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:01 AM

The Daily Show is one of those shows that I almost always enjoy, but they still pile up unwatched. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I also record all of the Law and Order episodes and I think I've seen most of them more than once. I just like to put it on in the background when I'm reading the dope or something. It's amazing how a lot of the problems they were dealing with 20 years ago are still problems today.

I decided to record the new Roseanne, but I've never watched one episode, so I think I'm going to trash that one.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata67 View Post
Jeopardy!

I record it every day, but I only keep 10 episodes on the DVR or else it would fill up. Sometimes I'll binge a couple episodes while cleaning on the weekend because it's easy to listen to while I'm moving around. But it usually ends up piling up.
This is mine as well. I feel bad deleting it, because I really like Jeopardy! and I feel watching it is a pretty good use of time, but they accumulate so quickly.

Sometimes I cheat and watch only the Final Jeopardy portions before deleting. Sometimes I'll sit and watch 10 or so Final Jeopardys in a row.

mmm