Old 05-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Nymag article lays out the case for why that other $1.6m payment that Cohn negotiated to cover up for an abortion was likely made on behalf of Trump as well, and not RNC finance chair Elliott Broidy.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 PM

he might lose a few voters if he paid for an abortion. But like he said , he could murder someone in broad daylight and it doesn't matter.

Remember John Edwards got his friend to claim he fathered the misstress baby when Edwards was the real dad.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 05-08-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Remember John Edwards got his friend to claim he fathered the misstress baby when Edwards was the real dad.
Yup, and when Edwards' infidelities (and efforts to conceal them) finally came to light, his political career died. I think you're right; I fear that most of Trump's supporters will continue to either (a) believe that all of this is a lie, or (b) hypocritically insist that it doesn't matter.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Yup, and when Edwards' infidelities (and efforts to conceal them) finally came to light, his political career died. I think you're right; I fear that most of Trump's supporters will continue to either (a) believe that all of this is a lie, or (b) hypocritically insist that it doesn't matter.
Similarly, Schneiderman was an up-and-coming Democrat just 24 hours ago. He is now toxic and will likely never have a political career again. I hold Anthony Weiner up as an example of what happens to Democrats who try to get back into the fold after a horrible sex scandal.

Republicans, on the other hand, nominate their scumbags to Senate or even POTUS.

[Don't tell me a damn thing about Bill Clinton. He hasn't run for elected office since the Lewinsky affair came to light.]
Old 05-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
he might lose a few voters if he paid for an abortion. But like he said , he could murder someone in broad daylight and it doesn't matter.

If the abortion was performed on fifth avenue then a conservative could literally say that "Trump killed a baby on fifth Avenue and I still support him!"
Old 05-08-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Edwards' political career died when he did poorly in the presidential primary. He dropped out of the race in January, which tells us how good he thought his chances were early on.

Last edited by John Mace; 05-08-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Trump disclosed he paid back Cohen at least $100k last year

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/16/polit...ort/index.html
Old 05-16-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Trump disclosed he paid back Cohen at least $100k last year

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/16/polit...ort/index.html
And the Office of Government Ethics (OGE) sent a letter to Rosenstein saying, in part: "OGE has concluded that the information related to the payment made by Mr. Cohen is required to be reported and that the information provided meets the disclosure requirement for a reportable liability." The former OGE director, Walter Shaub, says:
Quote:
This is tantamount to a criminal referral. OGE has effectively reported the president to DOJ for potentially committing a crime.
AIUI, the argument is that Trump committed a crime by not reporting this last year. Or something. Campaign finance laws are kind of a mystery to me.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:09 PM

I suppose this is as good of a thread to ask as any...

Hypothetical.

Suppose Trump was paying x amount of dollars to Cohen every month to be used as Cohen saw fit to take care of Trumpian legal oppsies.

Trump rights it off as a business expense.

But, that money can't be written off as a business expense if Cohen uses it to pay hush money/bribe or perform illegal acts.

So, if hypothetically Trump did not know what the money was used for, would he still be on the hook for tax evasion if he rights it off as a 'business' expense?