Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 21,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
I guess it could be useful in stop and go traffic or to someone obsessed with mileage. And I refuse to believe this shit option doesn't wear on the engine.
It's designed to increase gas mileage, so it is solving a problem. It would wear on engines not designed for the feature, but modern cars are designed for this and it adds no significant wear and tear. It will be on most cars pretty soon.
  #52  
Old 05-15-2018, 08:54 AM
bucketybuck bucketybuck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,116
I'm going to take advantage of this thread to moan about a small but annoying change I encountered recently.

I use the website MapMyRun for mapping my running. Its useful, before a long run I can plan out a vague route I'm going to take that will be close to the distance I need. It loads a map, you click on your start point and then map out your run with a few more clicks of the mouse.

So whats changed? Well before if you wanted to zoom in or out on the map you just used the scroll wheel, nice and simple. Now if you want to zoom in or out you have to hold ctrl first and then use the scroll wheel.

It drives me bonkers, why add an extra step to the process? Who is this helping? Why do I now need two hands when previously one did the job perfectly well?

I really would love to know the reasoning behind the change just so that I could disagree with it.
  #53  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Jennshark Jennshark is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tren'un, NJ
Posts: 3,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
It's designed to increase gas mileage, so it is solving a problem. It would wear on engines not designed for the feature, but modern cars are designed for this and it adds no significant wear and tear. It will be on most cars pretty soon.
It may be a lovely thing for other drivers, but it really is an unpleasant option in BMWs. The start-up jerk is significant and clunky; intellectually I can know it isn't hard on the engine, but it sounds and feels bad. Maybe other car makers can do better. So, as of now the technology provides an answer to a problem I don't have.
  #54  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM
TRC4941 TRC4941 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hermantown, MN
Posts: 636
My husband and I have been driving various Subaru's for maybe the last 10 years. The clock on the dashboard used to have a stem kind of thing that when pressed down would change the clock time. Quite simple. My husband bought a 2016 Forester. When daylight savings time came around he couldn't figure out how to change the time. The stem thing was nowhere to be found. I looked in the owner's manual for the instructions (as we women are known to do!). This model has 2 paddle things under the steering wheel. You pull up and press down in certain sequences to make a myriad of changes on the clock, sound, date, etc. I sat in the car for 45 minutes before I finally had the time changed...correctly. When daylight savings time was over, my husband asked if I would change the clock for him. I said "Nope, leave it and just remember you have to subtract an hour every time you look at the clock. Daylight savings time will be here before you know it." And it was.
  #55  
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Leo Krupe Leo Krupe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
That's fine on a 3 speed auto, but my current car has 6 speeds, and many now have 8. I prefer the +- on the shifter (slide over from D to M and push up and back) but I've never had a problem with the paddle shifters.

It is solving a problem, giving drivers the ability to manually shift through the gears of a modern automatic transmission.
What's the problem it's solving? My reading of your post is it's giving drivers another option (semi-manual transmission shifting, which as I pointed out, can be useful on a sports car (particularly a track car). And it can make an average driver feel like he/she is driving, rather than "just" driving, which is fine.

It's like driving a convertible, or an Audi R8, or a Porsche 911 GT, as opposed to driving a Honda Fit or minivan.

But I don't see the problem it's solving for the average driver.
  #56  
Old 05-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Max Torque Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 10,706
I love my keyless push-button ignition. Whenever I drive my wife's car, I'm like, "Turning a key to start a car? What is this, the Middle Ages?!"

I don't understand, however, how so many people can leave the car running. Mine (2015 Nissan Altima) beeps at me three times when I get out and shut the door if the engine is running. Do people just not listen?
  #57  
Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Channing Idaho Banks Channing Idaho Banks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: beautiful Idaho
Posts: 2,408
I have a garage but it doesn't have a car in it.https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...xide-toll.html
__________________
It's too late.
  #58  
Old 05-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Krupe View Post
What's the problem it's solving? My reading of your post is it's giving drivers another option (semi-manual transmission shifting, which as I pointed out, can be useful on a sports car (particularly a track car). And it can make an average driver feel like he/she is driving, rather than "just" driving, which is fine.

It's like driving a convertible, or an Audi R8, or a Porsche 911 GT, as opposed to driving a Honda Fit or minivan.

But I don't see the problem it's solving for the average driver.
A bodykit and alloy wheels don't solve any problems that are meaningful to the average driver either. If your definition of solving problems is "providing maximum possible utility to boring people," you're going to find most consumer products pointless.
  #59  
Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
touch screens that replace common controls in cars. I prefer to be able to drive down the road and adjust things like the radio, mirrors, temperature, and vents without looking away from the road.
It's so gratifying to flip the temp to the hottest setting and hit the fan. Done. Want the stereo on, push the volume button and adjust the level. Done.
Yep, give me a knob I can grab and don't have to look at.

What makes it even more fun is I need reading glasses. Don't need 'em to drive, but starting to need them for the dam touch screens.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #60  
Old 05-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Treppenwitz Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
It may be a lovely thing for other drivers, but it really is an unpleasant option in BMWs. The start-up jerk is significant and clunky; intellectually I can know it isn't hard on the engine, but it sounds and feels bad. Maybe other car makers can do better. So, as of now the technology provides an answer to a problem I don't have.
It's worse than that - it creates a problem all of its own, particularly in city traffic. Those cars start up slow at lights, so they're slower through the lights, so fewer cars can get through in one cycle. If you're far enough back in the line, any reasonable person would go crazy.

Serious question: any homicides related to this yet?

j
  #61  
Old 05-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Asuka Asuka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 755
My job requires me to call a phone number every so often and the phone number is an automated phone system where you basically a given a series of Yes/No questions along with ID number requests and must answer them before being given the information you wanted.

The problem with this is that they made it so that you can answer the robotic questions with your own voice, which is neat and in theory faster until you get to the part where not only is the voice recognition spotty they no longer allow you to simply hit numbers on your phones numpad instead. So now instead of quickly inputting my 15 digit ID number I have to say all 15 numbers and hope the system recognizes them all. Why they would possibly take away the system that allowed me to just input numbers manually?
  #62  
Old 05-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Leo Krupe Leo Krupe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
A bodykit and alloy wheels don't solve any problems that are meaningful to the average driver either. If your definition of solving problems is "providing maximum possible utility to boring people," you're going to find most consumer products pointless.
Actually, I do find most consumer products pointless. I don't eschew aesthetics, not by a long shot, but I prefer function over form, and practicality over fashion.

Which is why I'm one of the boring people to whom you refer, and I accept that minority status.
  #63  
Old 05-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Jim Peebles Jim Peebles is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 350
I just wanted to point out: the BMW "engine stops when the car stops" non-solution becomes a solution to the non-solution push button ignition killing people with CO poisoning when they leave the car running in an attached garage.
  #64  
Old 05-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Jim Peebles Jim Peebles is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 350
It also occured to me: what if some terroristic hackers figure out how to remotley start cars in attached garages? Another reason I won't use mine (as a garage for my car - I have plenty of junk stored in it).
  #65  
Old 05-15-2018, 02:37 PM
don't mind me don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,002
Cars seem to have tons of these. I use a Car2Ggo Mercedes for all my driving (which isn't much). The satellite radio tuner (on the touchscreen again) is pretty much unusable unless you have twenty minutes or so to find anything listenable. The knob, which should be intuitive, only cycles through an infinite number of choices in the same genre. Seriously, unless your Lin-Manuel Miranda, how many hip-hop choices do you need, and how do you keep track of what and where they are? (No offense to fans - I love LMM - it's just the first style that came to mind.) I just want NPR, is that so hard?
  #66  
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 PM
Asuka Asuka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 755
I told my phone to text me whenever I get a direct message on Facebook so I can reply to it via text. What happened instead is that every day at 10PM my phone chirps and tells me "Hey, your friends shared 60 updates on Facebook this week". How this helps anyone I don't know but it's required apparently if I still want to get my DM's sent to my phone.
  #67  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 AM
california jobcase california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
I love my keyless push-button ignition. Whenever I drive my wife's car, I'm like, "Turning a key to start a car? What is this, the Middle Ages?!"

I don't understand, however, how so many people can leave the car running. Mine (2015 Nissan Altima) beeps at me three times when I get out and shut the door if the engine is running. Do people just not listen?
I have a keyless car, but it has three pedals. Those leaving their cars on must have automatics.
  #68  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
I told my phone to text me whenever I get a direct message on Facebook so I can reply to it via text. What happened instead is that every day at 10PM my phone chirps and tells me "Hey, your friends shared 60 updates on Facebook this week". How this helps anyone I don't know but it's required apparently if I still want to get my DM's sent to my phone.
Why don't you just reply using the Facebook Messenger app?
  #69  
Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 AM
SmellMyWort SmellMyWort is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Just after I moved into this rental flat, the oven broke. The landlord very nicely replaced it with a shiny new one, the updated model of the old one. The only significant difference is that in this one features a clock. Great, an inbuilt timer, right? Except... the oven won't work unless the clock's 'set'.

I'll frequently go weeks without using the oven, I use the gas hob for most of my cooking, so I turn the oven off at the wall most of the time. This means I have to press 'set clock' 4 times to set it to 12:00 before the oven will actually turn on (normally with sticky dough covered hands). I've only set it to the actual time once in 6 months.
Turn the oven off at the wall? It sounds like the solution to a problem that didn't exist was putting the oven on a wall switch. Is this common in places other than the US? Why don't you just leave the switch on?
  #70  
Old 05-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
Turn the oven off at the wall? It sounds like the solution to a problem that didn't exist was putting the oven on a wall switch. Is this common in places other than the US? Why don't you just leave the switch on?
In the UK, all outlets have wall switches. It's frankly bizarre that US outlets don't, considering that they reduce the risk of electrocution-by-electrical-socket to basically nil.
  #71  
Old 05-16-2018, 01:56 PM
SmellMyWort SmellMyWort is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
In the UK, all outlets have wall switches. It's frankly bizarre that US outlets don't, considering that they reduce the risk of electrocution-by-electrical-socket to basically nil.
Well, if I'm inclined to futz around the electrical connection on my oven, which I don't often care to do seeing as it's a large and heavy appliance, I can go down to the basement and turn off the power there. Not seeing much other risk.
  #72  
Old 05-16-2018, 02:00 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 35,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLife View Post
1. TV remote
I'd prefer this to this any time.
Another problem with the first 'this' is that many (most, I'd guess) cable systems have 200 or more channels these days. That's a lot of channels to arrow through, one at a time, if you're at channel 53 and the next program you want to watch is on 166.
  #73  
Old 05-16-2018, 02:21 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 35,867
At the office, we've got the version of MS Office with Word and Excel 2016.

Stuff that you reach for with the mouse goes dim when you're not using it. Not sure what problem this solves.

Specifically, the icons in the Quick Access toolbar in the upper left, the minimize/maximize/close icons in the upper right, and the scroll bar on the right, all go dim. They dim to the extent that I, at least, can't see them at all. I have to wave the cursor over to that part of the screen to make them reappear, and then I can see to click or grab or whatever I need to do. Just leave the damn things on bright all the time, so I can see them when I need them.
  #74  
Old 05-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Manda JO Manda JO is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Another problem with the first 'this' is that many (most, I'd guess) cable systems have 200 or more channels these days. That's a lot of channels to arrow through, one at a time, if you're at channel 53 and the next program you want to watch is on 166.
I'm just a cranky old person here, but I sorta feel like "200 or more channels" is also a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.


But I recognize that there's no accounting for taste.
  #75  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Asuka Asuka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Why don't you just reply using the Facebook Messenger app?
Because it's faster to reply via text I already have than use the app.
  #76  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 PM
GaryM GaryM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: St. Louis, MO 50mi. West
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
I'm just a cranky old person here, but I sorta feel like "200 or more channels" is also a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.


But I recognize that there's no accounting for taste.
Some of those channels, on satellite at least, are the same shows delayed for the West coast of the USA. But I regularly move from say channel 4 to channel 186 that's 182 button presses assuming that all numbers are in use.
__________________
GaryM
  #77  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 PM
GaryM GaryM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: St. Louis, MO 50mi. West
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
In the UK, all outlets have wall switches. It's frankly bizarre that US outlets don't, considering that they reduce the risk of electrocution-by-electrical-socket to basically nil.
Do your AC powered appliances, vacuum, hand mixer etc, also have switches? Plug in the vacuum and switch on the outlet, then switch on the Hoover?
__________________
GaryM
  #78  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 PM
california jobcase california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
In the UK, all outlets have wall switches. It's frankly bizarre that US outlets don't, considering that they reduce the risk of electrocution-by-electrical-socket to basically nil.
Some U.S. outlets have wall switches. They are situated just inside the front door, so you can turn on and off lights plugged into that socket when entering or leaving the domicile.
  #79  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
It's the keyless ignition I have a problem with, not the fob itself. My car has a fob I can use to unlock the doors and pop the trunk, but I also have a key that goes in the ignition. Seems to me that's the right combination of convenience and mechanical certainty.
not really. even if you have a key, modern cars all have computer controlled "tip start." if you have a start button, pressing the button tells the PCM to operate the starter until it senses the engine is running. if you have a key, all twisting the key does is tell the PCM to operate the starter until it senses the engine is running.

the days of hard-wired ignition switches and lock cylinders are long gone.
  #80  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
In the UK, all outlets have wall switches. It's frankly bizarre that US outlets don't, considering that they reduce the risk of electrocution-by-electrical-socket to basically nil.
#1 I realize that the British national pastime is criticizing everything Americans do, but just because things are different here doesn't mean they're worse.

#2 electric ranges in the US are typically on 240VAC, 30 or 50 amp circuits. good luck putting a usable switch on that circuit.
  #81  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:56 PM
Lizard Lizard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Yep, give me a knob I can grab and don't have to look at.
That's what she said!
  #82  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:21 AM
Tim@T-Bonham.net Tim@T-Bonham.net is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 14,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
In the UK, all outlets have wall switches. It's frankly bizarre that US outlets don't, considering that they reduce the risk of electrocution-by-electrical-socket to basically nil.
The risk is already pretty low, and decreasing. (Tamper-resistant outlets reduce the likelihood by 50%, GFCI outlets effectively to 0% -- they cut out before injury.)

About 7 people per day are injured (mostly minor burns on the fingers), and only about once per 11-12 days does someone die. 90% of those injured are toddlers (under age 4); the rest are mainly construction workers. And they are more likely to be the fatalities than the children.

To put this into context, about 800 children per day are injured from abuse by their own parents; about 5 per day die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Some U.S. outlets have wall switches. They are situated just inside the front door, so you can turn on and off lights plugged into that socket when entering or leaving the domicile.
And those switches are mounted higher up on walls, generally out of the reach of toddler children. The British switches are right next to the receptacle. I don't think it would take too long for a toddler to learn that 'Mommy always turns this switch on before using the Hoover', and so to imitate and turn that switch on while he is playing with sticking a fork into the outlet. So I'd think it would be nearly as risky in the UK.
  #83  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 AM
Heracles's Avatar
Heracles Heracles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southern Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
And those switches are mounted higher up on walls, generally out of the reach of toddler children. The British switches are right next to the receptacle. I don't think it would take too long for a toddler to learn that 'Mommy always turns this switch on before using the Hoover', and so to imitate and turn that switch on while he is playing with sticking a fork into the outlet. So I'd think it would be nearly as risky in the UK.
Nope, UK wall outlets have been tamper-resistant for decades, AFAIK. Appliance plugs have a ground pin that's much longer than the other two, which opens up the receptacle when inserted. Which means, of course, that the wall switches don't solve a play-with-outlet problem, but they may solve some other problems with simple, somewhat dangerous-to-toddlers appliances such as lamps and toasters being on 240 V AC.
  #84  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:55 AM
Llama Llogophile Llama Llogophile is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: 50% chord point
Posts: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
not really. even if you have a key, modern cars all have computer controlled "tip start." if you have a start button, pressing the button tells the PCM to operate the starter until it senses the engine is running. if you have a key, all twisting the key does is tell the PCM to operate the starter until it senses the engine is running.

the days of hard-wired ignition switches and lock cylinders are long gone.
Turning off the ignition with a key and then physically removing it is a more unique and memorable movement than pushing a button. We push many buttons in cars for various purposes. We only insert and remove a key to access electric power and to start and stop the engine. That’s what I mean by mechanical certainty. There is a tactile and visual component to the action.

Airplane controls are designed with this sort of ergonomics in mind. Landing gear controls usually have one job and they are shaped like a wheel. Flap controls are shaped like an airfoil. There is unique tactile feedback associated with using these controls for a specific purpose. I don’t think pushing one of many buttons does, which may have something to do with the fairly common error of leaving the car running.

Also remember, this is a fairly new innovation. It goes against what drivers have been doing for years. Maybe new drivers will be less prone to problems with button starters because they won’t experience interference from past habits.
  #85  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:49 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus septimus is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 16,728
I do find our car's keylessness convenient (not yet having been burned by the feature's possible problems), but the only modernish feature I strongly appreciate is the rear-view camera. (It seems like a stupid bug that that camera is active if and only if the car is in reverse.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
touch screens that replace common controls in cars. I prefer to be able to drive down the road and adjust things like the radio, mirrors, temperature, and vents without looking away from the road.
It's so gratifying to flip the temp to the hottest setting and hit the fan. Done. Want the stereo on, push the volume button and adjust the level. Done.
My Honda CRV has a touchscreen but all the things you mention also have buttons. (There are few knobs though; repeated button clicks are needed to change some settings.)

In the mid-1970's I was involved in troubleshooting IBM mainframes with consoles like this one or, my favorite, this one. I became adept at twirling the knobs and switches. I often dialed a microinstruction into 8 rotaries and pressed 'Execute from switches' to get a scope loop. Great fun! When giving the machine back to the customer, you run your hand along the row of toggle switches to get them all in the upright (non-Test) position. By the late-1970's IBM had replaced all these consoles with a drab CRT and light-pen. Most FE's seemed to prefer the new consoles, but I was saddened by the demise of those (expensive but) beautiful consoles!

My example of a 'computer solution' I detest is making fingers "more efficient" by mapping every isolated keystroke or mouse event to some action. I'm clumsy enough that I often press the wrong key or jitter the mouse. Very often I find windows popping up or editor's-text damage and, without even knowing what "I did," I need to undo it. Twice recently due to mouse jitter I've accidentally shut down Windoze 10 when I intended just to Sleep it. Isn't Shut-down drastic enough that it should produce an "Are you sure?" ?
  #86  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:59 AM
ftg's Avatar
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 17,154
A whole of things that are Bluetooth connected.

E.g., I came across a kitchen scale that's Bluetooth connected with no display. You have to use a phone/tablet with it.

What?

One supposed benefit is saving on bowls and such. You add ingredient 1 to a certain amount. Then ingredient 2. Etc. But: A, you can do that with an ordinary scale. And B, what if you go a bit over and have to take back some stuff without also pulling out other ingredients?

Of course Bluetooth can be a big battery waster, both for the scale and the phone.

And there's an app with "free recipes". I guess it's impossible to find free recipes on the Internet.

Definitely worth paying 3x more than a regular scale, right?

Last edited by ftg; 05-17-2018 at 07:59 AM.
  #87  
Old 05-17-2018, 08:12 AM
Ulfreida Ulfreida is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pangolandia
Posts: 2,846
As a certified turd in the progress punchbowl, I would say that the ratio of solutions to problems is now running about twenty thousand to one, and increases hourly. There are probably a thousand just on my smartphone.
  #88  
Old 05-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 15,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
And what's with the option of having the car turning off at a stop and starting again when accelerated?
I hate that too. Fortunately, my Beemer has a button that turns that option off. It's right below the ignition.
  #89  
Old 05-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Teuton's Avatar
Teuton Teuton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Do your AC powered appliances, vacuum, hand mixer etc, also have switches? Plug in the vacuum and switch on the outlet, then switch on the Hoover?
Yes, all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
#2 electric ranges in the US are typically on 240VAC, 30 or 50 amp circuits. good luck putting a usable switch on that circuit.
Electric ovens in the UK are also on 240v, 32A or 45A circuits, and yet we somehow manage to put switches on them. You get one of these type things mounted on the wall above your cooker. Note that the socket outlet there is attached to the cooker main, not the ring main all the other sockets in the house will be attached to.
Of course, in practice, none of these switches ever get used. I'm sure there are people who go around turning off the switches on their outlets when they are finished with things, but I'm not one of them.


With regard to the car engine stopping when the car stops thing, I first came across this system about 8 years ago in a Vauxhall Astra hire car, and it was bloody awful - the car would start when you put your foot on the clutch but it took just a half second longer to spark up than you'd want and I very quickly turned it off. My current car is a VW Passat that has it, and that sparks the engine up before your clutch foot hits the floor, so it's very natural and pretty much ignorable - it doesn't slow me down at the lights at all.
  #90  
Old 05-17-2018, 01:04 PM
wahsahzii wahsahzii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Luddite as well

Social media. Bar room full of belligerent drunks. I left.
  #91  
Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM
MacLir MacLir is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
If anything, it makes more sense to have park in between drive and reverse, to keep people from shifting into reverse while the car is still moving.
NO NO NO! That is why Neutral is between Forward and Reverse. If you put Park between them you would rip your transmission to pieces. Shifting into the gear opposite to your motion just makes the transmission work a little harder to change vectors.

Park has a detent pin that slots into the drive train to prevent motion with the engine uncoupled from the drive train. If you remove that pin, then what you have is Neutral.
  #92  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 22,902
One thing that drives me nuts on my smart phone is the apps that are running when I haven't asked them to do anything. Sometimes I'll go to a restaurant, and then I'll see a notification from my navigation app like "Would you like to rate your visit to Pizza Yurt?" I know my way to Pizza Yurt by heart. I didn't use the navigation app to get there. Why is it bothering me about rating my visit? Why is it even running to monitor my comings and goings? It is an app. I will turn it on when I need the information it provides, and turn it off when I don't. Processing power is not infinite. Memory is not infinite. When I'm not using it, I don't want it taking any resources.

The off switch seems to be a relic of the past. I can't think of any apps on my phone that even offer a way to turn them off. Programs on my desktop and laptop at least offer a way to shut themselves down. The only way on my phone to turn something off is to hit the Recent Apps button and to kill it there. That seems rather like using the Windows Task Manager every time you wanted to close a program. And on the phone, even killing something doesn't mean it's actually dead.
  #93  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:01 PM
Wallaby Wallaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Far South
Posts: 775
The fashion/cosmetics industry is full of this.

Invent a problem ('Oooh, look! You have dry elbows!'). Invent a solution to made-up problem. ('Magic Pixie Lotion!').
  #94  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 PM
elfkin477 elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 22,277
Starting this summer we're getting "more secure" timesheets that are going to require we get a single-use code by text to enter before we'll be allowed to submit our hours. Great...that will protect us from the danger of, um...people entering our hours for us?

We are all super grateful that they're solved this non-issue for us.
  #95  
Old 05-17-2018, 08:13 PM
Jim Peebles Jim Peebles is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
One thing that drives me nuts on my smart phone is the apps that are running when I haven't asked them to do anything. Sometimes I'll go to a restaurant, and then I'll see a notification from my navigation app like "Would you like to rate your visit to Pizza Yurt?" I know my way to Pizza Yurt by heart. I didn't use the navigation app to get there. Why is it bothering me about rating my visit? Why is it even running to monitor my comings and goings? It is an app. I will turn it on when I need the information it provides, and turn it off when I don't. Processing power is not infinite. Memory is not infinite. When I'm not using it, I don't want it taking any resources.

The off switch seems to be a relic of the past. I can't think of any apps on my phone that even offer a way to turn them off. Programs on my desktop and laptop at least offer a way to shut themselves down. The only way on my phone to turn something off is to hit the Recent Apps button and to kill it there. That seems rather like using the Windows Task Manager every time you wanted to close a program. And on the phone, even killing something doesn't mean it's actually dead.
Advanced Task Killer puports to do that rather easily on my Android smart phone.

Last edited by Jim Peebles; 05-17-2018 at 08:14 PM.
  #96  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:11 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
Advanced Task Killer puports to do that rather easily on my Android smart phone.
... though it's unfortunate that Android is more or less designed to fail when you do crazy things like shut down apps that you don't want to use. (Or crazy things like find out exactly which apps are running, and which app is doing what.)

Last edited by DavidwithanR; 05-17-2018 at 11:12 PM.
  #97  
Old 05-18-2018, 05:14 AM
pullin pullin is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: N Texas
Posts: 2,749
Pedestal sinks. In the 70's, houses reached peak utility IMO. Bathrooms had long spacious countertops with a sink (or two) in the middle. Who on Og's green earth thought it was a good idea to backtrack to the 1940's and provide a primitive sink with no place to set razor, cream, deodorant can, etc. This is a classic case of fashion overruling usability.

Don't get me started on the IOT. I went to a convention of Internet of Things a few years ago, and it was a giant hall full of solutions in search of a problem.
  #98  
Old 05-18-2018, 05:38 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 38,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
The fashion/cosmetics industry is full of this.

Invent a problem ('Oooh, look! You have dry elbows!'). Invent a solution to made-up problem. ('Magic Pixie Lotion!').
Listerine was invented like that.
__________________
Life ain't peaches and cream, but sometimes it's laughing your ass off when you have no ass. - WhyNot
  #99  
Old 05-18-2018, 05:39 AM
Heracles's Avatar
Heracles Heracles is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southern Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
And what's with the option of having the car turning off at a stop and starting again when accelerated? This seems like an answer to a non-problem.
This is to reduce fuel consumption and (if the catalytic converter remains hot enough) air pollution. I care enough about the second part that I hope it becomes mandatory on all cars and especially trucks, but of course that'll never happen in the U.S.

Apart from the hybrids, we've had it on two Mercedes cars(*) so far and it restarts the engine when you lift your foot off the brake pedal, no delay at all at a traffic light. It doesn't trigger if the car stops very briefly, such as a stop sign with no cross traffic.

(* What's the plural of Mercedes? Mercedess? Mercedii?)
  #100  
Old 05-18-2018, 07:06 AM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,659
Rented a Volvo that had the stop/start feature. The first few times it happened I was WTF, something is wrong with this car. And I kept starting it up again.

Oh, right. Totally forgot that some cars do this now.

After a few miles, didn't even notice it. Was quite strange at first.

My Wife once nearly walked away with a keyless car key fob of a rental. I suppose this isn't uncommon, as you completely forget about the 'key'. THAT could have been expensive.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017