Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5801  
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Dave Hartwick is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
How? Declaring your house a gun-free home doesn't advertise valuables; I'd like to hear how a gun-free home is an enticement.
You'll be glad to hear that I don't think declaring your home gun free would be an enticement. Thieves look for empty houses to rob, something "I need muh gun fer perteckshun" types just can't seem to grasp. Guns are, in fact, completely useless at protecting your valuables unless you're home, guarding them, with family members taking shifts watching over your fine whatevers. I'm guessing unfinished coloring books in your own case, or maybe a smokeless ashtray.

Putting up a sign declaring your house gun free would just be lame, largely because it wouldn't make a difference, unless you're trying to advertise something else, like how you're real hip and socially aware and smug. In that case, it would probably be effective. In my own personal neighborhood, it would be redundant. Nobody keeps guns in their homes around here. And yet, somehow, we remain polite and rarely riot or loot.

When one thinks about it--like I'm sure you could do with some effort, for instance you totally noticed that I was making fun of you earlier, so well done for that--advertising that you do or don't have a gun with a sign on your house is a stupid idea, which is why people largely don't, opting instead to advertise their security companies. It's not nearly as stupid as your "let's give everybody a gun and see what happens" idea... hang on, I'm giving you a bit too much credit, let's call it not an idea but a brain miscarriage or something like, anyway, kudos, you're not as stupid as you were that time when you actually took the effort to type out the worst idea that a person could possibly have that doesn't involve krokodil. Don't get me wrong, your daring challenge to have people who don't own guns to purchase and display a sign reading "no guns" is deeply, arrestingly backward, but still much improved.

And yes, Lumpy, I am making fun of you again, in case you weren't sure. I don't mean to alarm you, but I think some others are as well.
  #5802  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hartwick View Post
...unless you're trying to advertise something else, like how you're real hip and socially aware and smug.
You have certainly taught us some things about hip and smug. Pompous and unfunny, too. Thanks.
  #5803  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hartwick View Post
You'll be glad to hear that I don't think declaring your home gun free would be an enticement. Thieves look for empty houses to rob, something "I need muh gun fer perteckshun" types just can't seem to grasp. Guns are, in fact, completely useless at protecting your valuables unless you're home, guarding them, with family members taking shifts watching over your fine whatevers. I'm guessing unfinished coloring books in your own case, or maybe a smokeless ashtray.
Hey, it took them YEARS to assemble their Chia Menagerie!
  #5804  
Old 09-01-2015, 12:35 PM
YogSothoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
How? Declaring your house a gun-free home doesn't advertise valuables; I'd like to hear how a gun-free home is an enticement.
It a taunt, and you're basically putting yourself out there to stand out. And as a homeowner, why would I care to tell anyone anything about myself through lawn signs? I don't even have bumper stickers on my car.
  #5805  
Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,382
This one is kind of stupid. Drive-by shooting in Walla Walla:
Two Walla Walla teenagers have been charged as adults in connection with the riddling of a house on Donald Street with bullets last March. Alleged local gang associates Eduardo Chavez, 17 … and Jesse L. Murphy, 16 … were charged Monday … with drive-by shooting.… Although the defendants are juveniles, adult charges are required because of the youths’ older ages and the severity of the offense.

Officials claim that Murphy — with Chavez as the passenger — drove his Toyota pickup by 119 Donald St. about 2:40 a.m. March 28. Chavez allegedly fired numerous rounds from what’s believed to be a .22-caliber rifle into the home, striking it 13 times. No one was hurt, but bullets reportedly went into the garage, house walls and through a bedroom window.

The brother of a person who lives at the home was “an enemy” of a gang with which Chavez and Murphy associate, according to a Sheriff’s Office report filed in court.

Chavez also is charged as an adult with three counts of first-degree assault and one count of second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm in a separate case.
I mean, teenagers playing with guns and shooting at each other, that seems a bit de rigeur. But how those teenagers are getting their hands on guns is something that really needs to be looked at. Washington state got a new law initiated into place this year intended to help keep track of where people are getting their hands on guns, I would hope that the source of these kids' guns would face some kind of consequences for facilitating this activity.

Last edited by eschereal; 09-01-2015 at 10:01 PM.
  #5806  
Old 09-02-2015, 04:13 AM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,881
Teen accidentally shoots himself while taking a selfie:
Quote:
The teen tried to take a picture of himself holding a gun to his head when the gun went off, according to the Houston Police Department.

The victim’s uncle said he ran into the apartment in the 9800 block of Forum Park Drive and attempted to resuscitate his nephew but he had already died.

The victim’s family said he leaves behind two young daughters and that he was a fun-loving person.
__________________
“If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.” ~~Jack Handey
  #5807  
Old 09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post

Chavez allegedly fired numerous rounds from what’s believed to be a .22-caliber rifle into the home, striking it 13 times.
13 rounds from a 22 rifle in a drive-by? Did they have to park for a minute?
  #5808  
Old 09-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
13 rounds from a 22 rifle in a drive-by? Did they have to park for a minute?
Nope; there are .22 semiautomatics with magazines up to 100 rounds.
  #5809  
Old 09-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt is online now
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Teen accidentally shoots himself while taking a selfie:
Unfortunate that he had already passed on his genes.
  #5810  
Old 09-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,521
NYC Police fire 84 shots at suspect, 83 miss:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b093be51bbb978
  #5811  
Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM
steronz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
NYC Police fire 84 shots at suspect, 83 miss:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b093be51bbb978
And yet, "I need my gun for protection. I need my gun to protect myself and my family."

The evidence is clear, guns are a piss poor way to protect yourself.

"1 percent of the time, it works every time."

Last edited by steronz; 09-09-2015 at 01:12 PM.
  #5812  
Old 09-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
NYC Police fire 84 shots at suspect, 83 miss:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b093be51bbb978
Are there any reports on collateral damage? I'm thinking those other 83 bullets didn't just drop to the ground when they missed their target.
  #5813  
Old 09-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
And yet, "I need my gun for protection. I need my gun to protect myself and my family."

The evidence is clear, guns are a piss poor way to protect yourself.

"1 percent of the time, it works every time."
Guns should be restricted to military and law enforcement because they have the training and skills to use them properly.

I'm the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry this Glock 40
  #5814  
Old 09-09-2015, 01:32 PM
steronz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,979
Coulda been worse, he could have shot himself in the leg 84 times.
  #5815  
Old 09-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,582
A 12 lb trigger pull probably doesn't help.
  #5816  
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,651
Good point. I had forgotten about the New York trigger.

NYPD’s Choice of Firearm May Have Contributed to the Terrible Shooting

Still dismal shooting though.
  #5817  
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
A 12 lb trigger pull probably doesn't help.
If they are like a lot of cops, that heavy trigger is compounded by not practicing enough to overcome it. Are NY cops required to take any post-academy firearms training or practice? Qualification once every 6 or 12 months doesn't count. It is neither training nor practice. It isn't even proof of minimal competency IMO.
  #5818  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Iggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: somewhere else
Posts: 5,354
Honolulu Police Department makes a stupid gun move, choosing to destroy used and even brand new police firearms rather than give them to another law enforcement agency. That's $500,000 down the drain.

HPD chose to change service weapons from Smith & Wesson 9mm to Glock 17s. Rather than auction the old duty weapons to the public or donate them to another law enforcement agency they instead choose to destroy them including 200 brand new, still in the box, weapons.

Police administrators claimed they had not been able to find a law enforcement agency that wanted the weapons. However the state sheriff's division which uses Smith & Wesson firearms had not been offered the unwanted weapons. I'd be surprised if some law enforcement agency, even if out of state, wouldn't be willing to happily accept them.
  #5819  
Old 09-09-2015, 03:24 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,261

Doesn't every woman keep a gun in her vagina?


Fully loaded, with a round chambered.
  #5820  
Old 09-09-2015, 04:08 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
There has to be some kind of joke that could be made about premature something-or-other. Or maybe something about resale value.
  #5821  
Old 09-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
There has to be some kind of joke that could be made about premature something-or-other. Or maybe something about resale value.
Man sobbing in Emergency Room: "When she said she was wearing protection, I thought that meant 'yes'!"
  #5822  
Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Your Great Darsh Face is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Over your garden wall
Posts: 1,147
I'm sure the idea is that you carry the gun in your purse and smuggle an ounce of drugs in your vagina, but maybe she was a little too messed up to get that the right way round.
  #5823  
Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 PM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 15,881
That's not what the Concealed Carry Permit is for, ma'am.
  #5824  
Old 09-11-2015, 01:38 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,382
In the spirit of 9/11, the NRA honors a fallen revolver.
  #5825  
Old 09-11-2015, 08:19 PM
bosbfdsfd is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
And yet, "I need my gun for protection. I need my gun to protect myself and my family."

The evidence is clear, guns are a piss poor way to protect yourself.

"1 percent of the time, it works every time."
So don't use them to protect yourself, your love and tolerance will keep the bad men away, I promise.
  #5826  
Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
And yet, "I need my gun for protection. I need my gun to protect myself and my family."

The evidence is clear, guns are a piss poor way to protect yourself.

"1 percent of the time, it works every time."
If they're that harmless, why do you object to them?
  #5827  
Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,127
They're not harmless to you, are they? That's who's most likely to get hurt, along with anyone else in your house. We do care about you, we really do, and we care about your innocent victims even more.

That's why.
  #5828  
Old 09-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
They're not harmless to you, are they? That's who's most likely to get hurt, along with anyone else in your house. We do care about you, we really do, and we care about your innocent victims even more.

That's why.
Unless "we" are having a "bad day." Then "we" might kill you and your entire family, right ElvisL1ves?

I had resolved to stop interacting with you - it's too much like slapping a turd- but seeing an angry, ranting, hate-filled retard like you claim to care about other people, even sarcastically,was too much.

Damn. Now I need to go wash the shit off my hand and clean the walls where it splattered.
  #5829  
Old 09-13-2015, 09:24 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,127
Have you ever stopped to consider how effectively you're making people on your side appear to be responsible adults?

Because you're doing the opposite, you know. You're helping the sensible gun control view more than you obviously realize. And for that, you should be thanked.
  #5830  
Old 09-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Have you ever stopped to consider how effectively you're making people on your side appear to be responsible adults?

Because you're doing the opposite, you know. You're helping the sensible gun control view more than you obviously realize. And for that, you should be thanked.
Above it all. Again. I forgot an adjective in my previous post. You are a predictable, angry, ranting, hate-filled retard. Interacting with you is its own penalty.

Fuck...I just got the walls clean, and now look.
  #5831  
Old 09-13-2015, 02:20 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,127
The longer you keep this up, the more good you're doing.

Great job!
  #5832  
Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 AM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Damn. Now I need to go wash the shit off my hand and clean the walls where it splattered.
You really have an unhealthy obsession with feces. Trauma during toilet training perhaps?
  #5833  
Old 09-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
You really have an unhealthy obsession with feces. Trauma during toilet training perhaps?
Were you violated by your psychologist?
  #5834  
Old 09-14-2015, 08:35 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,127
Back to your toddler rape infatuation.
  #5835  
Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosbfdsfd View Post
So don't use them to protect yourself, your love and tolerance will keep the bad men away, I promise.
It's worked for me for 61 years.

Sure, if you live in a high-crime area, or if your work takes you into such places, or if someone's stalking you with lethal intention, then having a gun to protect yourself makes all the sense in the world.

But for the vast majority of us who live and work and shop in places that are perfectly safe to navigate without a firearm within easy reach, and have deadbolts on our solid wood exterior doors to keep the largely hypothetical bad guys from breaking in, the risk from keeping a firearm is greater than the risk of being without one.

And when too many people in otherwise safe circumstances choose to arm themselves because they think they might be the 'good guy with a gun' who takes out an all-but-nonexistent 'bad guy with a gun,' this causes the risk of harm to the rest of us to go up, not down. Because not all 'good guys' are good guys all the time, and not all 'responsible gun owners' exercise appropriate care all the time. And as a result, there are more opportunities for shit to happen.
  #5836  
Old 09-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Hentor the Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Have you ever stopped to consider how effectively you're making people on your side appear to be responsible adults?

Because you're doing the opposite, you know.
The irony is so extremely thick here that it is surprising the hamsters can keep a sinkhole from forming under this post.
  #5837  
Old 09-14-2015, 11:56 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,127
Still can't face who you now know yourself to be, can you?
  #5838  
Old 09-14-2015, 02:34 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,127
Some people don't learn the hard way, either:
Quote:
Police: Tulsa teen accidentally shoots himself in leg second time in three months
  #5839  
Old 09-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,521
Disabled man robbed five times, buys gun, shoots sixth robber hours later:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tired-of...r-hours-later/
  #5840  
Old 09-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,651
You left out the stupid part..

Rockland tenant who shot intruder told to give up gun
  #5841  
Old 09-14-2015, 10:45 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,382
"Robbed" 5 times is wrong. Fail to use the wrong word.
  #5842  
Old 09-14-2015, 10:57 PM
bosbfdsfd is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
It's worked for me for 61 years.
And it'll work right up until the point it doesn't. Despite the hysterical left's endless temper tantrums, there are bad people that want to prey on the innocent, and guns are the great equalizer, in that they allow these bad people to be hurt or killed in commissioning these crimes. Thankfully, you get to choose whether or not you'll be a victim, since freedom-hating liberals' quest to ensure that only criminals have guns have been an utter failure.
  #5843  
Old 09-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Yeah, shooting guns in an apartment building is such a smart idea.

I suppose you call yourself a responsible gun owner, too.
  #5844  
Old 09-15-2015, 12:54 AM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,382
Another responsible gun owner

Vaughn Rothering was playing with his cat. The classic chase-the-dot game – using the laser sight on his pistol. At some point, he spun the pistol and it must not have like that, because it spit up in his roommate's ankle.

He will be fined $50
  #5845  
Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
I agree, it's stupid that a housing complex that has manifestly failed to provide adequate security for its tenants nonetheless insists that an elderly wheelchair-bound man targeted for his prescriptions not arm himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
"Robbed" 5 times is wrong. Fail to use the wrong word.
What's the right word- burgled? I used robbed in the sense of "lost belongings to a thief", not necessarily that he was held up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
Yeah, shooting guns in an apartment building is such a smart idea.
Depends on whether he used low-penetration ammo like hollowpoints or not. In any case he fired once and hit his target; no problem.

Are you trying to claim this wasn't a legitimate use of a gun?
  #5846  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 PM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Depends on whether he used low-penetration ammo like hollowpoints or not. In any case he fired once and hit his target; no problem.

Are you trying to claim this wasn't a legitimate use of a gun?
I'm claiming that a no-guns rule in an apartment building is a no-brainer. The landlord has to consider the safety of all tenants. It shouldn't need to be pointed out to you that he can't depend on random people to use good sense in handling weapons in their apartments.

Let's see if this was legitimate use of a gun:
--The article doesn't say, but it looks like Harvey Lembo didn't take a course in gun safety, something that's promoted regularly by gun owners as a prerequisite for responsible gun use. Instead of knocking this guy for irresponsibly neglecting to take a course, you're lauding him as a good example. What makes him different?

--With no threat of death or injury to himself, he shot at a moving target in an apartment without considering the danger of accidentally shooting someone next door. Hitting the intruder sounded more like dumb luck than anything. Lembo himself said, "Just barely missed the side of the wall." Explain that as responsible gun use.

--Lembo's frustration is understandable, but there's no mention in the article that he took any measures to prevent break-ins other than getting a gun. What about the maxim that guns should only be used as a last line of defence? That's one of the few statements from gun owners that I wholeheartedly agree with because it acknowledges the serious consequences of using guns. Lembo was oblivious to those consequences.
He didn't show himself to be responsible at all. I can't believe that you, who presumably advocates responsible gun use, are supporting him.
  #5847  
Old 09-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Bruce Wayne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 822
Why doesn't it "look like" Mr Lembo took a gun safety class? Because he is a fat guy in a wheelchair? What if he owned a gun previously or was ex-military? Why would you assume he didn't take previous safety measures to prevent a break in? It would depend on what his lease would allow and what was he physically able to do. You also have no idea what types of rounds he used so you don't even know if he posed a threat to the tenants in adjacent units.
  #5848  
Old 09-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,651
Even if it were the only shot he's ever fired in his life, he's still miles ahead of the "trained, professional, police officers" mentioned in the other thread who shot at a fleeing suspect 38 times and hit him exactly once. In the leg. Therefore being an accident because LEOs are 'trained' to aim for the center of mass.

Last edited by Projammer; 09-15-2015 at 10:56 PM.
  #5849  
Old 09-15-2015, 10:55 PM
BrainGlutton is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 78,508
America should be more like… Switzerland?
  #5850  
Old 09-15-2015, 11:34 PM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
Why doesn't it "look like" Mr Lembo took a gun safety class? Because he is a fat guy in a wheelchair?
No, not because he's a fat guy in a wheelchair, as you describe him. It's because he bought the gun during the day and shot the guy that night. I don't believe that's enough time for a gun safety course, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
What if he owned a gun previously or was ex-military?
I have to admit that I since found this article:

Quote:
Though Lembo spent most of his working life as a lobsterman on Vinalhaven, he is familiar with guns. When he was 18, he worked as a police officer on Vinalhaven and was taught to shoot by the police chief, he said.
I won't assume that he's had no experience with guns since then, but if he hasn't, does that still make him qualified? That was 49 years ago, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
Why would you assume he didn't take previous safety measures to prevent a break in? It would depend on what his lease would allow and what was he physically able to do.
Because this: "Lembo, asked how he planned to protect himself against potential burglars without his gun, said, “I’m going to have to bolt myself in.”

Why didn't he do that in the first place? If he had, he wouldn't have violated the terms of his lease and he wouldn't be under investigation for breaking state law. Doesn't sound like the kind of guy to trust making the right decisions with a gun. As he's already demonstrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
You also have no idea what types of rounds he used so you don't even know if he posed a threat to the tenants in adjacent units.
Neither does Lumpy, to whom I was replying. Can I assume that you'll admonish him for making assumptions, too? Or is it okay if your side does it?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017