Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Well, it depends on IF all of the counterpoints is true, and also IF any of the points in my list are true.
So wait...

You post a list, a highly inaccurate list,
And your standard is that ALL of the refutations must be accurate and cited,
But only ONE of your assertions needs to be true?

Yeah, that's a good standard,
I think you need to get a job with a Police Shooting Investigation Board somewhere
Old 07-31-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Well, it depends on IF all of the counterpoints is true, and also IF any of the points in my list are true.
That's a low bar.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
So you are demanding perfection from the rebuttal, but your personal standard is so low as to be almost nonexistent?
Keep digging, doofus.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was entertaining
To some, leaving a bag of dogshit on somebody's front porch, ringing the doorbell, and running off snickering is entertaining. That was on that level.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
So wait...

You post a list, a highly inaccurate list,
And your standard is that ALL of the refutations must be accurate and cited,
But only ONE of your assertions needs to be true?

Yeah, that's a good standard,
I think you need to get a job with a Police Shooting Investigation Board somewhere
Well then if he's right then it means that sometime in history that some Democrat shot someone. which in turn proves that all guns are good or something or other.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
To some, leaving a bag of dogshit on somebody's front porch, ringing the doorbell, and running off snickering is entertaining. That was on that level.
This was more the equivalent of setting the bag on fire, stomping on it yourself, ringing the doorbell and standing there laughing in the respondent's face while your shit-covered foot is on fire.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
You never answer even the simplest of questions. Here, shit-heel, I'll make you a promise: honestly answer the three questions in my previous post

and I will bow out of this thread permanently. Nor will I ask you those questions in any other gun-related thread. You will be free to continue your "one bad day from murder" nonsense here without me questioning you about your murderous temper again.
What about it, you miserable pile of shit?
Will you go away forever if I acknowledge that ElvisL1ves is an incompetent moron who would in all likelihood shoot himself in the foot - at the very best - if he were given a gun?
Old 07-31-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
I think it is more the entertainment of imagining that your bizarre and nonsensical world view has some sort of evidence to support it (even though deep down you know that is just crazy). It's probably the same kind of entertainment right wingers get from watching Fox News.
I read it more as "I'm embarrassed as hell for having a gotcha backfire on me so I'll say it was...entertaining, yeah that's it".

"Weaseling out of things is what separates humans from animals. Except weasels." -- H. J. Simpson
Old 08-01-2015, 06:34 AM

Does this qualify as stupid gun news?

Texas man shoots armadillo, bullet ricochets back into his face
Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe said the man, who was not identified, went outside his home in Marietta, Texas, at around 3 a.m. local time Thursday morning. He spotted the armadillo on his property and opened fire.

"His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo," Rowe said.

The animal's hard shell deflected at least one of three bullets, which then struck the man's jaw, he said.

The man was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where his jaw was wired shut, according to Rowe.

The status of the animal is unknown.

"We didn't find the armadillo," the sheriff said.
The only way to stop a bad man with a gun is a good armadillo with a ricocheting armor plate. Will the NRA now lobby for armadillo piercing bullets?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

But it was coming right at him!

He coulda got leprosy!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

If the .38 Special wasn't already regarded as inadequate, this clinches it.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:47 AM

I'll be teaching my nephew how to handle pistols and how to shoot today. It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun, and basic marksmanship. I'll be in Santa Clara, CA. Anyone want to join?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll be teaching my nephew how to handle pistols and how to shoot today. It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun, and basic marksmanship. I'll be in Santa Clara, CA. Anyone want to join?
Will you be teaching him any better than you've "taught" us?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 AM

I bin teechin you purty good.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
But it was coming right at him!

He coulda got leprosy!
Still waiting, chickenshit. Why are you so afraid to answer three very simple, non-incriminating questions? Guilty conscience, maybe?

Last edited by Scumpup; 08-01-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun, and basic marksmanship.
Cite?
Old 08-01-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I'll be teaching my nephew how to handle pistols and how to shoot today. It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun, and basic marksmanship.
The nation rejoices at another potential Adam Lanza.

Your definition of "responsible gun ownership" is meaningless in light of all the killing done by "responsible" gun owners.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post

Your definition of "responsible gun ownership" is meaningless in light of all the killing done by "responsible" gun owners.
Ah! Another ElvisL1ves type cretin. Anybody who has a gun is "another potntial Adam Lanza?" Do you own a gun? If not, do you eschew ownership for fear of being "another Adam Lanza?"
Old 08-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Cite?
What are you, stupid?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
What are you, stupid?
I don't think so.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I don't think so.
I suppose in the abstract sense, having some practical knowledge in any subject is better than not having it. That doesn't automatically make it necessary or useful to enrich one's life, nor does it guarantee that the time spend acquiring basic knowledge in one field couldn't be better spent learning something else.

Anyway, it's one afternoon in a kid's life. I doubt it'll make any measurable difference in itself. If the kid follows up and spends more time practicing with and using guns, then his risk of getting killed with one or killing someone else with one (accidentally, by suicide or by homicide) increases, I gather, but we all gotta die of something, sooner or later.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 08-01-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Ah! Another ElvisL1ves type cretin. Anybody who has a gun is "another potntial Adam Lanza?" Do you own a gun? If not, do you eschew ownership for fear of being "another Adam Lanza?"
My post had nothing to do with whether or not I own a gun, and everything to do with the vain posture that knowing how to operate a gun automatically makes one responsible with it. Can't you address that instead of calling me names?
Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Can't you address that instead of calling me names?
I guess it's possible for Scumpup to do so.... uncharacteristic, perhaps.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't think so.
Check again.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I guess it's possible for Scumpup to do so.... uncharacteristic, perhaps.
Meh. Ekers, you are to humor as Coors Light is to beer.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
My post had nothing to do with whether or not I own a gun, and everything to do with the vain posture that knowing how to operate a gun automatically makes one responsible with it. Can't you address that instead of calling me names?
Did you read your own post? It would seem not. Maybe you are thinking of some other post you made somewhere else on some other day.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Meh. Ekers, you are to humor as Coors Light is to beer.
Tells Coors Light that; they might send you a case in gratitude for the endorsement.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Did you read your own post? It would seem not. Maybe you are thinking of some other post you made somewhere else on some other day.
Adam Lanza's mother did exactly what you describe, shepherding her son through the basics of gun ownership and sharing the joy of putting holes in those things over there. To her, it did not seem terribly risky to teach Adam about guns and to put them within easy reach of him but she was his mother, which is the kind of relationship that can blind a person to another person's flaws, just as you might miss or ignore potential issues your nephew may have (not that I am saying he does).

Knowing how to safely operate a firearm is but a small part of responsible gun ownership. There is this other "wisdom" thing, which tends to be rather elusive (ask that American Sniper dumbfuck). From what I have observed, firearms have the opposite effect of instilling wisdom in people, and I have yet to observe any exceptions.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Not only did I read it, I'll repeat it: Learning how to handle a gun does not automatically make a gun owner act responsibly with it. By that definition, Adam Lanza was a responsible gun owner. His mother got him trained by a certified instructor and they both dutifully practiced at gun ranges. They were textbook examples of "responsible gun owners". Not only that, she took up guns for security!! They were a poster family for the NRA and everything it stands for. What could possibly go wrong?

(And what eschereal said.)

Last edited by Esox Lucius; 08-01-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Ludicrous.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:30 AM

Quote:
My post had nothing to do with whether or not I own a gun, and everything to do with the vain posture that knowing how to operate a gun automatically makes one responsible with it.
Who said anything about being responsible? Knowledge is one thing and responsibility is another.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Who said anything about being responsible? Knowledge is one thing and responsibility is another.
Well, you've shown us your "knowledge", and how you've taken responsibility for it, haven't you?
Old 08-02-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Not only did I read it, I'll repeat it: Learning how to handle a gun does not automatically make a gun owner act responsibly with it. By that definition, Adam Lanza was a responsible gun owner. His mother got him trained by a certified instructor and they both dutifully practiced at gun ranges. They were textbook examples of "responsible gun owners". Not only that, she took up guns for security!! They were a poster family for the NRA and everything it stands for. What could possibly go wrong?

(And what eschereal said.)
Are you demonstrating responsibilty, then, by not owning a gun? Serving as an example, as it were? It must be terrible, for you and ElvisL1ves, living in a world where literally everyone around you is liable to snap and start killing at any moment. It must be even more terrible when you are also "potentially another Adam Lanza."
Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Ludicrous.
How so?

Quote:
Who said anything about being responsible?
Everything you said implied "responsible": "It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun..." Why else would it be good to know that stuff if not for an implied responsibility on the part of the gun owner?

Everything you said there is the justification gun owners use to claim they're responsible gun owners.

Quote:
Knowledge is one thing and responsibility is another.
Thank you, that's my point. If you really believe that (and for the sake of this point, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), please tell all the gun owners who pat themselves on the back for being responsible just because they know how to handle a gun. You know, the ones who disown a spree shooter as one of their own even though he'd been one of them all along and carried out his killings with an expert knowledge of his weapons. The ones who oppose gun control because safety courses apparently turn gun owners into model citizens.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Are you demonstrating responsibilty, then, by not owning a gun? Serving as an example, as it were? It must be terrible, for you and ElvisL1ves, living in a world where literally everyone around you is liable to snap and start killing at any moment. It must be even more terrible when you are also "potentially another Adam Lanza."
Okay, you win. You have demeaned and ridiculed me into buying a gun and taking a safety course that will guarantee I'll never be a threat to anyone. Except for those who demeaned and ridiculed me.

(That was just a joke in case you're quaking in your boots at the thought of a pansy-ass fraidy-cat coming after you.)
Old 08-02-2015, 12:14 PM

No one is a criminal until they are.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:47 PM

This is going well.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
This isn't Minority Report, you can't judge someone for what they could, or might, someday do.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Does this include you? How far are you to be trusted?
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No, we're all criminals. Original Sin, don'tchaknow.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52 PM

The NRA wants greater freedom of guns and, at least theoretically, stronger prosecution of criminals. But, of course, no one can be prosecuted until they actually do something. And then, beyond that, what if a criminal uses your gun in the furtherance of a crime? Do you get to say, that was a bad thing, and walk away, or should you be held accountable for how your guns get used? Are you willing to take "responsible gun ownership" to its proper end? Including not allowing your guns to be stolen?
Old 08-02-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Including not allowing your guns to be stolen?
Victim shaming. tsk, tsk..
Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 AM

If a gun owner thinks it isn't up to him to ensure his deadly weapon doesn't fall into dangerous hands, that's another example of how much real responsibility he lacks.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
Probably the same place from which Dumuri is awaiting the talking points to respond to the recent studies on guns.
What's the matter? Your butt still hurting you?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
How so?
By your same logic, anyone who learns how to drive a car is another potential David Attias. While probabilistically it's true, the likelihood is so remote. It's a ludicrous argument.

Quote:
Everything you said implied "responsible": "It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun..." Why else would it be good to know that stuff if not for an implied responsibility on the part of the gun owner?

Knowledge is power. When my nephew learns when a gun is safe and when it is not, if in the future and for example he's hanging out at a friend's house and his friend totes out his father's gun, he will know more than he did if the gun has the potential to be duscharged and harm someone. It's the difference between ignorance and informed.

Quote:
Thank you, that's my point. If you really believe that (and for the sake of this point, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), please tell all the gun owners who pat themselves on the back for being responsible just because they know how to handle a gun. You know, the ones who disown a spree shooter as one of their own even though he'd been one of them all along and carried out his killings with an expert knowledge of his weapons. The ones who oppose gun control because safety courses apparently turn gun owners into model citizens.
Knowledge and responsibility are two different things. I hope you don't need me to tell you that - it doesn't sound like you need me to. I've seen idiots at the gun range. You tell the range master, and then you leave. I've seen good men and trained Marines make a mistake on the gun line. You walk up quickly to him and correct the problem. And then you continue to watch him more closely.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Booth was not a Democrat, he was a member of the Know Nothing Party.
During the Civil War, Booth's views aligned more closely with the Democrats.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, give it the fuck up. You cut and pasted that pack of lies(without even admitting you did so) because it told you what you wanted to hear, and you don't even have the guts to stand up and admit that you were wrong.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 08-03-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Than the Know Nothing Party? One wonders why he chose the latter then. Clearly you know his views better than he himself did.

You dug yourself a huge hole, moron. Best to stop digging, or to start pulling dirt in behind yourself.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Wait, you call his nephew a potential Adam Lanza and you think he's the one calling names? WTF is wrong with you?

And YES, knowing more about guns makes you a more responsible gun owner.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 08-03-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The NRA wants greater freedom of guns and, at least theoretically, stronger prosecution of criminals. But, of course, no one can be prosecuted until they actually do something. And then, beyond that, what if a criminal uses your gun in the furtherance of a crime? Do you get to say, that was a bad thing, and walk away, or should you be held accountable for how your guns get used? Are you willing to take "responsible gun ownership" to its proper end? Including not allowing your guns to be stolen?
So if I steal your car and run over an orphanage full of blind kids, is any of that your fault? Are you responsible for those dead blind orphans?