Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5301  
Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 AM
bengangmo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 9,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Well, it depends on IF all of the counterpoints is true, and also IF any of the points in my list are true.
So wait...

You post a list, a highly inaccurate list,
And your standard is that ALL of the refutations must be accurate and cited,
But only ONE of your assertions needs to be true?

Yeah, that's a good standard,
I think you need to get a job with a Police Shooting Investigation Board somewhere
  #5302  
Old 07-31-2015, 06:13 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Well, it depends on IF all of the counterpoints is true, and also IF any of the points in my list are true.
That's a low bar.
  #5303  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Well, it depends on IF all of the counterpoints is true, and also IF any of the points in my list are true.
So you are demanding perfection from the rebuttal, but your personal standard is so low as to be almost nonexistent?
Keep digging, doofus.
  #5304  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
It was entertaining
To some, leaving a bag of dogshit on somebody's front porch, ringing the doorbell, and running off snickering is entertaining. That was on that level.
  #5305  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
So wait...

You post a list, a highly inaccurate list,
And your standard is that ALL of the refutations must be accurate and cited,
But only ONE of your assertions needs to be true?

Yeah, that's a good standard,
I think you need to get a job with a Police Shooting Investigation Board somewhere
Well then if he's right then it means that sometime in history that some Democrat shot someone. which in turn proves that all guns are good or something or other.
  #5306  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
To some, leaving a bag of dogshit on somebody's front porch, ringing the doorbell, and running off snickering is entertaining. That was on that level.
This was more the equivalent of setting the bag on fire, stomping on it yourself, ringing the doorbell and standing there laughing in the respondent's face while your shit-covered foot is on fire.
  #5307  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:51 AM
Hentor the Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
You never answer even the simplest of questions. Here, shit-heel, I'll make you a promise: honestly answer the three questions in my previous post

and I will bow out of this thread permanently. Nor will I ask you those questions in any other gun-related thread. You will be free to continue your "one bad day from murder" nonsense here without me questioning you about your murderous temper again.
What about it, you miserable pile of shit?
Will you go away forever if I acknowledge that ElvisL1ves is an incompetent moron who would in all likelihood shoot himself in the foot - at the very best - if he were given a gun?
  #5308  
Old 07-31-2015, 02:07 PM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
I think it is more the entertainment of imagining that your bizarre and nonsensical world view has some sort of evidence to support it (even though deep down you know that is just crazy). It's probably the same kind of entertainment right wingers get from watching Fox News.
I read it more as "I'm embarrassed as hell for having a gotcha backfire on me so I'll say it was...entertaining, yeah that's it".

"Weaseling out of things is what separates humans from animals. Except weasels." -- H. J. Simpson
  #5309  
Old 08-01-2015, 06:34 AM
camille is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,096
Does this qualify as stupid gun news?

Texas man shoots armadillo, bullet ricochets back into his face
Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe said the man, who was not identified, went outside his home in Marietta, Texas, at around 3 a.m. local time Thursday morning. He spotted the armadillo on his property and opened fire.

"His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo," Rowe said.

The animal's hard shell deflected at least one of three bullets, which then struck the man's jaw, he said.

The man was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where his jaw was wired shut, according to Rowe.

The status of the animal is unknown.

"We didn't find the armadillo," the sheriff said.
The only way to stop a bad man with a gun is a good armadillo with a ricocheting armor plate. Will the NRA now lobby for armadillo piercing bullets?
  #5310  
Old 08-01-2015, 06:44 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,114
But it was coming right at him!

He coulda got leprosy!
  #5311  
Old 08-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,519
If the .38 Special wasn't already regarded as inadequate, this clinches it.
  #5312  
Old 08-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,646
I'll be teaching my nephew how to handle pistols and how to shoot today. It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun, and basic marksmanship. I'll be in Santa Clara, CA. Anyone want to join?
  #5313  
Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I'll be teaching my nephew how to handle pistols and how to shoot today. It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun, and basic marksmanship. I'll be in Santa Clara, CA. Anyone want to join?
Will you be teaching him any better than you've "taught" us?
  #5314  
Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,646
I bin teechin you purty good.
  #5315  
Old 08-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
But it was coming right at him!

He coulda got leprosy!
Still waiting, chickenshit. Why are you so afraid to answer three very simple, non-incriminating questions? Guilty conscience, maybe?

Last edited by Scumpup; 08-01-2015 at 11:40 AM.
  #5316  
Old 08-01-2015, 11:53 AM
steronz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun, and basic marksmanship.
Cite?
  #5317  
Old 08-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I'll be teaching my nephew how to handle pistols and how to shoot today. It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun, and basic marksmanship.
The nation rejoices at another potential Adam Lanza.

Your definition of "responsible gun ownership" is meaningless in light of all the killing done by "responsible" gun owners.
  #5318  
Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
The nation rejoices at another potential Adam Lanza.

Your definition of "responsible gun ownership" is meaningless in light of all the killing done by "responsible" gun owners.
Ah! Another ElvisL1ves type cretin. Anybody who has a gun is "another potntial Adam Lanza?" Do you own a gun? If not, do you eschew ownership for fear of being "another Adam Lanza?"
  #5319  
Old 08-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Cite?
What are you, stupid?
  #5320  
Old 08-01-2015, 01:53 PM
steronz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
What are you, stupid?
I don't think so.
  #5321  
Old 08-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
I don't think so.
I suppose in the abstract sense, having some practical knowledge in any subject is better than not having it. That doesn't automatically make it necessary or useful to enrich one's life, nor does it guarantee that the time spend acquiring basic knowledge in one field couldn't be better spent learning something else.

Anyway, it's one afternoon in a kid's life. I doubt it'll make any measurable difference in itself. If the kid follows up and spends more time practicing with and using guns, then his risk of getting killed with one or killing someone else with one (accidentally, by suicide or by homicide) increases, I gather, but we all gotta die of something, sooner or later.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 08-01-2015 at 02:56 PM.
  #5322  
Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Ah! Another ElvisL1ves type cretin. Anybody who has a gun is "another potntial Adam Lanza?" Do you own a gun? If not, do you eschew ownership for fear of being "another Adam Lanza?"
My post had nothing to do with whether or not I own a gun, and everything to do with the vain posture that knowing how to operate a gun automatically makes one responsible with it. Can't you address that instead of calling me names?
  #5323  
Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
Can't you address that instead of calling me names?
I guess it's possible for Scumpup to do so.... uncharacteristic, perhaps.
  #5324  
Old 08-01-2015, 03:19 PM
up_the_junction is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: South London
Posts: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
I don't think so.
Check again.
  #5325  
Old 08-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I guess it's possible for Scumpup to do so.... uncharacteristic, perhaps.
Meh. Ekers, you are to humor as Coors Light is to beer.
  #5326  
Old 08-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
My post had nothing to do with whether or not I own a gun, and everything to do with the vain posture that knowing how to operate a gun automatically makes one responsible with it. Can't you address that instead of calling me names?
Did you read your own post? It would seem not. Maybe you are thinking of some other post you made somewhere else on some other day.
  #5327  
Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Meh. Ekers, you are to humor as Coors Light is to beer.
Tells Coors Light that; they might send you a case in gratitude for the endorsement.
  #5328  
Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Did you read your own post? It would seem not. Maybe you are thinking of some other post you made somewhere else on some other day.
Adam Lanza's mother did exactly what you describe, shepherding her son through the basics of gun ownership and sharing the joy of putting holes in those things over there. To her, it did not seem terribly risky to teach Adam about guns and to put them within easy reach of him but she was his mother, which is the kind of relationship that can blind a person to another person's flaws, just as you might miss or ignore potential issues your nephew may have (not that I am saying he does).

Knowing how to safely operate a firearm is but a small part of responsible gun ownership. There is this other "wisdom" thing, which tends to be rather elusive (ask that American Sniper dumbfuck). From what I have observed, firearms have the opposite effect of instilling wisdom in people, and I have yet to observe any exceptions.
  #5329  
Old 08-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Did you read your own post? It would seem not. Maybe you are thinking of some other post you made somewhere else on some other day.
Not only did I read it, I'll repeat it: Learning how to handle a gun does not automatically make a gun owner act responsibly with it. By that definition, Adam Lanza was a responsible gun owner. His mother got him trained by a certified instructor and they both dutifully practiced at gun ranges. They were textbook examples of "responsible gun owners". Not only that, she took up guns for security!! They were a poster family for the NRA and everything it stands for. What could possibly go wrong?

(And what eschereal said.)

Last edited by Esox Lucius; 08-01-2015 at 10:58 PM.
  #5330  
Old 08-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
The nation rejoices at another potential Adam Lanza.
Ludicrous.
  #5331  
Old 08-02-2015, 01:30 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
My post had nothing to do with whether or not I own a gun, and everything to do with the vain posture that knowing how to operate a gun automatically makes one responsible with it.
Who said anything about being responsible? Knowledge is one thing and responsibility is another.
  #5332  
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Who said anything about being responsible? Knowledge is one thing and responsibility is another.
Well, you've shown us your "knowledge", and how you've taken responsibility for it, haven't you?
  #5333  
Old 08-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
Not only did I read it, I'll repeat it: Learning how to handle a gun does not automatically make a gun owner act responsibly with it. By that definition, Adam Lanza was a responsible gun owner. His mother got him trained by a certified instructor and they both dutifully practiced at gun ranges. They were textbook examples of "responsible gun owners". Not only that, she took up guns for security!! They were a poster family for the NRA and everything it stands for. What could possibly go wrong?

(And what eschereal said.)
Are you demonstrating responsibilty, then, by not owning a gun? Serving as an example, as it were? It must be terrible, for you and ElvisL1ves, living in a world where literally everyone around you is liable to snap and start killing at any moment. It must be even more terrible when you are also "potentially another Adam Lanza."
  #5334  
Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Ludicrous.
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Who said anything about being responsible?
Everything you said implied "responsible": "It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun..." Why else would it be good to know that stuff if not for an implied responsibility on the part of the gun owner?

Everything you said there is the justification gun owners use to claim they're responsible gun owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Knowledge is one thing and responsibility is another.
Thank you, that's my point. If you really believe that (and for the sake of this point, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), please tell all the gun owners who pat themselves on the back for being responsible just because they know how to handle a gun. You know, the ones who disown a spree shooter as one of their own even though he'd been one of them all along and carried out his killings with an expert knowledge of his weapons. The ones who oppose gun control because safety courses apparently turn gun owners into model citizens.
  #5335  
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Are you demonstrating responsibilty, then, by not owning a gun? Serving as an example, as it were? It must be terrible, for you and ElvisL1ves, living in a world where literally everyone around you is liable to snap and start killing at any moment. It must be even more terrible when you are also "potentially another Adam Lanza."
Okay, you win. You have demeaned and ridiculed me into buying a gun and taking a safety course that will guarantee I'll never be a threat to anyone. Except for those who demeaned and ridiculed me.

(That was just a joke in case you're quaking in your boots at the thought of a pansy-ass fraidy-cat coming after you.)
  #5336  
Old 08-02-2015, 12:14 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,381
No one is a criminal until they are.
  #5337  
Old 08-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,511
This is going well.
  #5338  
Old 08-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
No one is a criminal until they are.
This isn't Minority Report, you can't judge someone for what they could, or might, someday do.
  #5339  
Old 08-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
No one is a criminal until they are.
Does this include you? How far are you to be trusted?
  #5340  
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 PM
BrainGlutton is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 78,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
No one is a criminal until they are.
No, we're all criminals. Original Sin, don'tchaknow.
  #5341  
Old 08-02-2015, 09:52 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,381
The NRA wants greater freedom of guns and, at least theoretically, stronger prosecution of criminals. But, of course, no one can be prosecuted until they actually do something. And then, beyond that, what if a criminal uses your gun in the furtherance of a crime? Do you get to say, that was a bad thing, and walk away, or should you be held accountable for how your guns get used? Are you willing to take "responsible gun ownership" to its proper end? Including not allowing your guns to be stolen?
  #5342  
Old 08-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Bruce Wayne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Including not allowing your guns to be stolen?
Victim shaming. tsk, tsk..
  #5343  
Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Esox Lucius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,016
If a gun owner thinks it isn't up to him to ensure his deadly weapon doesn't fall into dangerous hands, that's another example of how much real responsibility he lacks.
  #5344  
Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
Probably the same place from which Dumuri is awaiting the talking points to respond to the recent studies on guns.
What's the matter? Your butt still hurting you?
  #5345  
Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
How so?
By your same logic, anyone who learns how to drive a car is another potential David Attias. While probabilistically it's true, the likelihood is so remote. It's a ludicrous argument.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
Everything you said implied "responsible": "It's good to know the basics, how to ensure a gun is safe and unloaded, how to safely handle a gun..." Why else would it be good to know that stuff if not for an implied responsibility on the part of the gun owner?

Knowledge is power. When my nephew learns when a gun is safe and when it is not, if in the future and for example he's hanging out at a friend's house and his friend totes out his father's gun, he will know more than he did if the gun has the potential to be duscharged and harm someone. It's the difference between ignorance and informed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
Thank you, that's my point. If you really believe that (and for the sake of this point, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), please tell all the gun owners who pat themselves on the back for being responsible just because they know how to handle a gun. You know, the ones who disown a spree shooter as one of their own even though he'd been one of them all along and carried out his killings with an expert knowledge of his weapons. The ones who oppose gun control because safety courses apparently turn gun owners into model citizens.
Knowledge and responsibility are two different things. I hope you don't need me to tell you that - it doesn't sound like you need me to. I've seen idiots at the gun range. You tell the range master, and then you leave. I've seen good men and trained Marines make a mistake on the gun line. You walk up quickly to him and correct the problem. And then you continue to watch him more closely.
  #5346  
Old 08-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Booth was not a Democrat, he was a member of the Know Nothing Party.
During the Civil War, Booth's views aligned more closely with the Democrats.
  #5347  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
During the Civil War, Booth's views aligned more closely with the Democrats.
Oh, give it the fuck up. You cut and pasted that pack of lies(without even admitting you did so) because it told you what you wanted to hear, and you don't even have the guts to stand up and admit that you were wrong.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 08-03-2015 at 12:12 PM.
  #5348  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Hentor the Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
During the Civil War, Booth's views aligned more closely with the Democrats.
Than the Know Nothing Party? One wonders why he chose the latter then. Clearly you know his views better than he himself did.

You dug yourself a huge hole, moron. Best to stop digging, or to start pulling dirt in behind yourself.
  #5349  
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
My post had nothing to do with whether or not I own a gun, and everything to do with the vain posture that knowing how to operate a gun automatically makes one responsible with it. Can't you address that instead of calling me names?
Wait, you call his nephew a potential Adam Lanza and you think he's the one calling names? WTF is wrong with you?

And YES, knowing more about guns makes you a more responsible gun owner.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 08-03-2015 at 01:04 PM.
  #5350  
Old 08-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
The NRA wants greater freedom of guns and, at least theoretically, stronger prosecution of criminals. But, of course, no one can be prosecuted until they actually do something. And then, beyond that, what if a criminal uses your gun in the furtherance of a crime? Do you get to say, that was a bad thing, and walk away, or should you be held accountable for how your guns get used? Are you willing to take "responsible gun ownership" to its proper end? Including not allowing your guns to be stolen?
So if I steal your car and run over an orphanage full of blind kids, is any of that your fault? Are you responsible for those dead blind orphans?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017