Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 AM

Order of the Stick - Book 6 Discussion Thread

I hope I'm not starting this thread prematurely, but I was hoping to get some OOTS fans' predictions (though Rich always seems to prove us wrong) on what we can expect in Book 6, which is due to start on March 31.

It was obvious a few strips ago that Durkon is not working for the Order of the Stick when he didn't take any actions during the fight with Tarquin. Now we know he belongs to Hel, and I predict Thor will finally get off his lazy ass and intervene. We also haven't seen Xykon in a while, and I think he'll pop up very soon. It would be nice if for once the OOTS could actually have a major fight while all together and at full health.

Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 AM

I don't necessarily see why Thor would intervene. Durkula is evil and worships an Evil goddess. That much, at least, appears to be SOP. Whether Durkon's trapped soul is also SOP or an unusual incident is yet to be determined and if it is foul(er) play, we still don't know that Thor would know or necessarily even care. This is the god who let a whole village get eaten by Surter, after all.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I don't necessarily see why Thor would intervene. Durkula is evil and worships an Evil goddess. That much, at least, appears to be SOP. Whether Durkon's trapped soul is also SOP or an unusual incident is yet to be determined and if it is foul(er) play, we still don't know that Thor would know or necessarily even care. This is the god who let a whole village get eaten by Surter, after all.
Agreed, but enough's gotta be enough eventually. Thor is supposed to be Lawful Good, but he's not going to intervene when one of his most devout followers' soul is being trapped and exploited by a supernatural abomination?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I'd guess that Thor would intervene fairly soonish, but that would be fairly soon after he found out what had happened. That looks like Durkon's mind or soul tied and gagged, there. I'm guessing that his ability to pray is likewise gagged. And Thor isn't the kind of god who keeps careful tabs on his clerics.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Thor's repeatedly been shown to vacillate between drunkenly ignoring Durkon and being kind of annoyed by him. I don't really see him intervening - at least not effectively and not any time soon.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post
Thor is supposed to be Lawful Good, but he's not going to intervene when one of his most devout followers' soul is being trapped and exploited by a supernatural abomination?
I don't know. All I know is that we haven't really seen a lot of divine intervention in the strip beyond the built in prayer and cleric stuff. I could see Thor rewarding Durkon for a particularly impressive escape and defeat of Hel's minions more than I could see Thor going toe to toe with Hel over him.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM

I'm no expert, but I thought there was some prophecy for bad times when he returned home. If this is the case, then RealDurkon™ isn't getting free anytime soon.

Seems like one of those reverse 'Scouring of the Shire' things, after the main ending.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post
It was obvious a few strips ago that Durkon is not working for the Order of the Stick when he didn't take any actions during the fight with Tarquin.
Durkon sent his barbed devil to fight Tarquin's men and Dominated them into fighting their fellow soldiers. He also briefly fought Laurin (smacked and drained her for a few levels and she Dimension Door'd out).

He didn't fight on the ship for the same reason Roy and Belkar didn't -- they were below deck. Now, of course we now know that Durkon ain't just Durkon with pointy teeth, but the "didn't fight Tarquin" bit seemed odd.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

And he didn't do more than directing his barbed devil and dominating because by that point he was pretty much running on fumes, spell-wise. An at-will ability and an already-bound minion were about all he had left. Even at that, Dominate isn't a bad ability to spam: Each usage removes one enemy and adds one disposable ally.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 PM

My guess is that Hilgya will (1) reappear and (2) quickly figure out what the state of Durkon is. A more predictable writer would then have the Order discount her insight because Linear Guild/evil et cetera; I'm not going to speculate where Rich will go with it.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 PM

So how will the first strip of Book 6 begin?

I think (and I've heard one other person here also think) that it will start with Lien and O-chul heading for (or already at) the site of Kraagor's tomb. No further predictions beyond that.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 AM

If Lien and O-chul aren't there already, then Team Evil have just arrived at the last gate unopposed. Granted, Kraagor's defences may still be in place but they'll be an inconvenience rather than a threat. On the other hand, the same could be said for Lien and O-chul.

So hopefully those two are already there and have had time to get a plan together that will keep Team Evil in check for c.8 days.

I'm hoping that's where Book 6 starts - right in the middle of an epic O-Chul/Xykon battle
Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Didn't we see Team Azure City already fighting monsters in what I assumed was Kraagor's tomb?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

No, that's Hinjo and company fighting the monsters that inhabit the castle on their new shiny abandoned island. There's some cleaning up to do before they can move in.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislaus View Post
If Lien and O-chul aren't there already, then Team Evil have just arrived at the last gate unopposed. Granted, Kraagor's defences may still be in place but they'll be an inconvenience rather than a threat. On the other hand, the same could be said for Lien and O-chul.

So hopefully those two are already there and have had time to get a plan together that will keep Team Evil in check for c.8 days.

I'm hoping that's where Book 6 starts - right in the middle of an epic O-Chul/Xykon battle
But Xykon would be in for a surprise in such a battle. We've seen the MITD has started thinking for himself and O-chul is his friend. Xykon would probably find his strongest weapon switching sides.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislaus View Post
If Lien and O-chul aren't there already, then Team Evil have just arrived at the last gate unopposed. Granted, Kraagor's defences may still be in place but they'll be an inconvenience rather than a threat.
Well, I'd suggest that it's obvious that there HAS to be a Xykon/Order battle for the last Gate. Furthermore, I'd suggest that Xykon has to gain control of it long enough for Redcloak's betrayal to play out as he attempts to give the Gate to his god via the ritual. That's sort of Redcloak's whole raison d'Ítre and I can't believe we won't see a resolution to it but it wouldn't be revealed unless Xykon has control of the Gate for long enough to conduct the ritual (which I seem to recall had significant prep time... ten days or something?).

Xkyon could show up, beat through the two paladins and then still just be getting around to starting the ritual (and perhaps having a conflict with Redcloak) before the Order shows up in another eight days or whatever.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Ans sometime near the end Redcloak has to betray Xykon openly so that the MinD can eat him.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 AM

Somewhere in there, MitD needs to find out more about his nature, and give us more hints. Even he seems unaware of what he is or his power(s) are, so how is he going to consume anybody? Witness when the fire roaches told MitD to "stamp the ground" when Haley and Belkar were fleeing with O-chul and Roy's bodies. Giant cracks appeared in the earth, while MitD hadn't known he could do anything of the sort. There will be other incidents like that one.

Last edited by squeegee; 03-04-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:38 AM

And, of course, Xykon/Redcloak/MitD are headed towards O-chul so you'll probably have another O-chul/MitD meet-up.

Lots of stuff ready to go down in Book 6.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 AM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Plus at least half of those clues will be misleading and/or contradictory, because Rich.

MitD had to be my second-favorite character in the whole strip.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I think I'd have to put Monster-San at third, after Redcloak and O-Chul. But that's good company to be keeping.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM
BANNED

so interested
Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 PM

So much has happened that I forgot about the friendship between Monster-San and O-Chul (shakes fist on preview at Chronos for calling him Monster-san before I did.) Let alone that O-Chul and the paladins are another faction.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 AM

As an easy reference later.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=530128 Book 5 discussion
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=504715 Discussion starting from "Good to the Last Drip"
Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Somewhere in there, MitD needs to find out more about his nature, and give us more hints. Even he seems unaware of what he is or his power(s) are, so how is he going to consume anybody? Witness when the fire roaches told MitD to "stamp the ground" when Haley and Belkar were fleeing with O-chul and Roy's bodies. Giant cracks appeared in the earth, while MitD hadn't known he could do anything of the sort. There will be other incidents like that one.
A more significant incident was when he sent O-chul and Vaarsuvius away before Xykon could kill them. But he seems to have figured out (or been told by the roaches) that he did that.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0947.html

And, were back.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 PM
BANNED

So, is Durkon concentrating on simple, wholesome memories just to give his possessing spirit as disagreeable a ride as possible?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Not just that-- He's specifically remembering the first time he ever saw the Sun.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 PM

Thinking of the sun - civil disobedience against vampiric domination.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

His mom was pretty badass.

I wonder how she
SPOILER:
lost her arm?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

I wonder how she
SPOILER:
lost her arm?
SPOILER:
5-1 says a tree was involved
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I was wondering about that, too... Mining accident? Orcish raid? Attacked by a vicious gingko?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad to see Durkon's soul isn't actually being tortured in there, and that he remember happy things. I hope he can lose himself in his happy memories while the evil soul isn't talking to him... although knowing him, he might consider it his duty to stay fully aware of what's going on around him at all times in case an opportunity presents itself. After all, doing your duty is what being a dwarf is all about ... ESPECIALLY if it makes ye miserable.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I just noticed that he seems to have changed art styles -- the stick figure parts, like the arms and hands and legs, have some thickness to them now, with an outline and a colored interior. Interesting... now I guess we'll be able to tell when somebody has pants on, for one thing.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
I just noticed that he seems to have changed art styles -- the stick figure parts, like the arms and hands and legs, have some thickness to them now, with an outline and a colored interior. Interesting... now I guess we'll be able to tell when somebody has pants on, for one thing.
I wondered what felt weird ! Now I see it too. Durkon's breastplate also has a welding seam now.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:14 PM

One thing I just wondered : since VampireDurkon doesn't worship the same god as DorfDurkon, shouldn't he be forced to switch holy symbols which would be something of a big giveaway ?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I was wondering about that, too... Mining accident? Orcish raid? Attacked by a vicious gingko?
Perhaps it was lost during the Pine Wars.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 PM

I actually didn't interpret this as Durkon reviewing happy memories or thinking of the sun to punish the vampire spirit. My take on this was that the vampire was going through his memories to learn more about him so as to better impersonate him, especially if they run into Durkon's family.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
I actually didn't interpret this as Durkon reviewing happy memories or thinking of the sun to punish the vampire spirit. My take on this was that the vampire was going through his memories to learn more about him so as to better impersonate him, especially if they run into Durkon's family.
That's my take as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
One thing I just wondered : since VampireDurkon doesn't worship the same god as DorfDurkon, shouldn't he be forced to switch holy symbols which would be something of a big giveaway ?
Well, Hel is directly involved in the whole thing, so presumably she can say "alright, from now on my holy symbol is this, which happens to look just like Thor's."

As for the new art style, I like shiny new things, but I'm also scared of change. It definitely makes the dwarves look really stocky.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Durkevil's arrogance in the pre-break strip signals his eventual demise. But who can take him down? (Tropes demand that Durkon do the deed, but set that aside for now.)

Belkar isn't smart enough to articulate his incoherent suspicions persuasively.

Roy is blinded by wishful thinking.

V might have sufficient arcane knowledge to suspect that something is up. The idea that a bearer of negative energy still gains sustenance from Thor is a red flag.

Haley is also blinded by wishful thinking and Durkevil's status is a bit outside her central concerns. But she is also deceit-saavy and Durkevil is young and somewhat naive. Certainly inexperienced.

Elan: I can't see how genre saavy would help, at least until the mid-game or end-game.

Someone outside Oots has a shot of course. Ironically, Tarquin might work out exactly what's going on - and may have even understood it instantly. O'Chul doesn't seem like the suspicious sort. The late Miko Miyazaki would have of course correctly IDd Durkevil's reliability - even paranoids have enemies after all.

Durkon, OTOH, might have access to certain spells. He can pray to Thor. Material components could only be gathered opportunistically. Somatic components are unusable unless Durkevil does them coincidentally. Ditto for verbal components - presumably. Divine Focus: Maybe Durkevil's holy symbol is just for show - maybe his real holy symbol is something else. Maybe Durkon could still use his holy symbol. Any insight from game players?

It's obviously a sticky situation: Durkon will reveal anything if asked - but Durkevil may be too arrogant/naive to inquire, "How are you plotting against me?"

ETA: Blackwing...

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 03-31-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
That's my take as well.
Darn it, I think you're probably right. So now I'm back to merely hoping that Durkon has some kind of escape while he's bound and helpless.

On a more positive note, my daughter and I think that little Durkon is adorable.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
She was clearly in the military ("Sergeant") so I'm going to go with "tree"
Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 AM

So from this strip it seems reasonably likely that Durkpire will run into people he knew -- perhaps his mum! -- when he was alive and in the Dwarven lands, now that he's traveling back north. He'll avoid that at all costs of course, but it'll happen and that's partly how Durkpire will be detected as a forgery.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Uncovering DurkEvil will be hard. It's not enough to perceive that something is off, since most irregularities can be explained away by the infusion of negative energy. Comprehensive memory can paper over a lot. To perceive the situation accurately requires at a minimum that the observer has familiarity with soul trapping, like Xykon did with Lirian and Dorukan. Otherwise they will lack a sufficient frame of reference. Every member of Oots might possess a piece of the puzzle, even if all lack the ability to synthesize the answer.

Redcloak would have a decent chance of obtaining such insight. I imagine he lies awake nights forming contingency plans against Xykon. Redcloak isn't an especially quick thinker, but he is methodical, wary and familiar with things going very wrong. The problem is there's no reason why he should care what Durkon's true state is.

Durkevil might very well be naive enough to reveal all as Hel's grand plans come to fruition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
It's obviously a sticky situation: Durkon will reveal anything if asked - but Durkevil may be too arrogant/naive to inquire, "How are you plotting against me?"
Then again, Durkevil might have access to Durkon's memories, but not necessarily his true opinions. Or not.
Quote:
Ironically, Tarquin might work out exactly what's going on - and may have even understood it instantly.
Malack might have kept his barbarian core hidden of course. Or he might not have had a barbarian core: maybe you only get dual personalities if the original version was of good alignment. At any rate the barbarian core may very well had reached a point of exhaustion a hundred years back.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 04-01-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Someone outside Oots has a shot of course.
Hilgya! Burlew loves hauling in stuff that you thought had been forgotten 800 strips ago. And Hilgya has cleric training and might be more hip to how undead actually work than the remaining OOTSers.

Last edited by Tom Scud; 04-01-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: only 947 strips so far
Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 PM

I kinda prefer the stick-y arms and legs, to be honest. It's what made it the Order of the Stick. But in Rich we trust.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

So will we see Durkon use his shield?

I like artistic development. Seriously: no snark. I like tracking how directors, musicians and graphic artists change over time. Each ratchet gives a different feel to the work, and to me the compare and contrast is part of the fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Hilgya! Burlew loves hauling in stuff that you thought had been forgotten 800 strips ago. And Hilgya has cleric training and might be more hip to how undead actually work than the remaining OOTSers.
But Hilgya might like Durkevil... they both worship Hel for example. Then again, if she knows how vampires work, she might respond differently. Actually, if anybody knew how vampires work, they ...well I guess they'd try to hide that fact until they were far away from Durkevil.

Tarq had a ring of true seeing. Would that or any other magical device or spell reveal Durkon's situation? Is this a case of possession?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
But Hilgya might like Durkevil... they both worship Hel for example.
Wasn't she a cleric of Loki?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
Wasn't she a cleric of Loki?
She was and presumably still is.