Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM

TV shows that never show anyone eating or drinking. Read full OP for more info

What tv shows have NEVER shown anyone eating or drinking. Now I know that on dramas and sitcoms they don't actually swallow, at least not most of the time, and have spit buckets next to them, but the whole fake drinking and eating thing counts for this thread. You don't like that, too bad.

The only one I could think of was The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, but I don't know if he ever painted a horse taking a drink or something.

Oh, animals count, so the contestants in the Puppy Bowl are drinking, so that show doesn't make the cut.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM

I'm guessing that, by your oddly strict criteria, any show that includes a live fish would be automatically out, because a fish takes water in through its mouth?

Ha! I have it! There is NEVER any eating or drinking in an animated show, because it's pictures. If you're going to be as literal as you are, then I'm going to be literal right back.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM
SDSAB

Anything on the Weather Channel or the Home Shopping Network.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textual Assault View Post
The only one I could think of was The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, but I don't know if he ever painted a horse taking a drink or something.
If you're going to allow non-fiction shows like this, then examples will abound. Most game and lottery shows, most educational-instructional shows, and a good number of news programs and talk shows have probably never shown someone eating or drinking.

Last edited by psychonaut; 07-13-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Anything on the Weather Channel or the Home Shopping Network.
Man you've never watched the Home Shopping Network. They sell prepackaged food, and they sell kitchen implements - which are sold via the tactic of showing what you can cook with the stuff, live. Those people eat well on air!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM

sort of related: for a long time TV never mentioned anyone going to the bathroom but All in the Family had the noise of the toilet flushing and characters talking about going to the bathroom. That might have been one of the first bathroom related scenes
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 AM

whenever I see people on TV they tend to be talking with their mouth full. What director thought this would be a good idea?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post

Ha! I have it! There is NEVER any eating or drinking in an animated show, because it's pictures. If you're going to be as literal as you are, then I'm going to be literal right back.
Well, not to be anal about it, but... there was a Halloween episode of The Simpsons where Bart and Lisa were trapped inside the television and being chased by Itchy and Scratchy while Homer handled the remote and flipped through the channels. At one point the animated Bart and Lisa and Itchy and Scratchy literally crashed the live-action Live with Regis and Kathie Lee, landing in a large pot of soup which splashed both hosts. It is not inconceivable that one or the other accidentally swallowed some of it.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM

I would think most game shows fit in this category. I've never seen Alex Trebek chow down between clues. I don't think Pat Sajak is sipping tea on air. Family Feud may have categories about food, but no one eats on the show.

Yes, Match Game has always had celebs drinking their asses off on air, but most game shows don't have people eating/drinking on air.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 PM

Does anyone on Meet the Press ever drink from a mug on camera?

Last edited by Quimby; 07-13-2018 at 02:13 PM.