Old 04-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I reckon I'll buy it on Epic, then when it comes on Steam I'll transfer my code.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Based on what I found there, I double down on my 'entitlement' statements.
Yeah, well, welcome to Reddit?
Old 04-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
ANOTHER point...it's not like it's locked up in Epic's launcher vault for evernever. Just pretend the real release isn't until March, and it'll be a better version by then because there'll be patches.
Yeah, but only because Randy Pitchford walked back from the deal some when he saw the shitstorm brewing. Which, good on him I suppose.

That doesn't change the fact that platform- and console-exclusives are absolutely a shit marketing ploy that fucks consumers. Nakedly so. Deliberately so. The whole point is to coerce you into buying a gaming system or subscribe to a platform you hadn't (for whatever reason of yours) ; not by improving said systems or platforms or do a thing about those reasons, which are still valid, but by making the option you didn't pick artificially attractive via manufactured scarcity.

I'm sure it all maths out to "marginally better profits" for the people engaging in these tactics even when factoring negative press, consumer backlash or people plain not falling into the trap - else they wouldn't do it. But then so does marketing tobacco to teenagers, you know ?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
What are people's thoughts on the fact that it will be an Epic exclusive for a time before launching on steam? Lots of twisted knickers on reddit about it.
I am of two Minds about it. On the One hand I think it is a major load of bullshit and I want to boycott the 6 months on principle. On the other hand I think is a major loaf of bullshit, but I will probably bend over and take it up the tailpipe to start playing it by October.

Last edited by wolfman; 04-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Well I'll turn it around then. Why should Epic be obligated to do what's (or what you consider to be) good for consumers? As far as I'm concerned, they're doing something very, very good for me, a consumer. They developed a game I've been waiting on for years, and they're going to let me buy it in September for $60.
Epic haven't developed or published the game at all, they've simply bought the rights to sell it exclusively for a period.

I don't really like it. There's now a few of these exclusivity deals on Epic. Metro: Exodus was heavily advertised on Steam before being pulled from sale on that platform due to the exclusivity deal.

This is a bit of a hijack though, maybe I'll start another thread on it.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:59 PM

I don't have any issue with timed exclusivity. While it's finally beginning to wane due to a large (oh so large) number of issues Valve has had in the past few years, Steam still has a near-monopoly as a PC games distribution platform. Gog is the only real competitor and they run a tight curation ship and have a much thinner selection of games, for better or worse. Origin only really exists as a storefront exclusively for EA games, as far as most people are concerned, and Uplay... who uses Uplay? All the other sites are key resellers that generally distribute Steam keys (still tying you to that platform). Humble also provides the option to get Steam keys for almost all games it distributes. Increasing competition keeps Valve from doing whatever they want with Steam which would almost certainly not be consumer friendly at all.

What I do take issue with is the fact that the Epic Store is literal spyware that datamines a bunch of usage data from your Steam installation it shouldn't even be able to have access to, and doesn't even deign to tell you about it.

Last edited by Jragon; 04-04-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:05 PM

Oh, I forgot about the Discord game store which... it's not as lol as Uplay but it barely counts. It's pulled the same timed exclusivity deals as the Epic store but without being, y'know, literal spyware and more focused towards indies. Itch.io is also exclusively an indie distribution, and most non-free Hobby projects that are distributed on Itch are co-distributed on Steam anyway.

Either way, Steam is still basically the PC storefront, the main exceptions tend to either co-list their games on Steam, distribute Steam keys, or only exist for one small corner of the market (EA games, Activision-Blizzard games, whatever).

Last edited by Jragon; 04-04-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
I don't have any issue with timed exclusivity. While it's finally beginning to wane due to a large (oh so large) number of issues Valve has had in the past few years, Steam still has a near-monopoly as a PC games distribution platform.
But so what? What Steam doesn't have is a monopoly on the sales level due, in large part, to its willingness to give publishers free retail keys and thus compete against itself.

Ars Technica ran a piece today about how Valve doesn't really get 30% of game sales because they generate so many retail keys for publishers. That's far more meaningful to me as a consumer than the actual hosting service. Besides which, Epic's store is hot garbage and their store/client lacks basic features that Steam had a decade ago.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
Epic haven't developed or published the game at all, they've simply bought the rights to sell it exclusively for a period.
Already covered in a previous post, and it's neither here nor there.

None of this is registering as other than "Wah, I can't get the game I want on from that platform I want."

There's not a single reasonable complaint about this setup. Every. Single. Product. Is marketed by somebody. Entities who have nothing to do with the creation of products or services regularly buy the rights to that product or service. Many products are available exclusively at one source.

Why video gamers think that they need to be pandered to and have any one particular game released in the manner of their choosing is beyond me.

Triple down on entitlement.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Apparently the Epic Store started having sales they didn't tell the developers about, so B3 is not available for pre-order anymore, at least for a while.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Apparently the Epic Store started having sales they didn't tell the developers about, so B3 is not available for pre-order anymore, at least for a while.

Same goes for Bloodlines 2 and quite a few other big ticket Epic items. Not sure why they're pulling out exactly - apparently Epic is doing the sale out of their own cut rather than what the publishers receive. I mean it's pretty tacky to have sales on fucking pre-orders, but then it's also pretty tacky to sell out exclusivity so I'm not sure what the rationale is.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Same goes for Bloodlines 2 and quite a few other big ticket Epic items. Not sure why they're pulling out exactly - apparently Epic is doing the sale out of their own cut rather than what the publishers receive. I mean it's pretty tacky to have sales on fucking pre-orders, but then it's also pretty tacky to sell out exclusivity so I'm not sure what the rationale is.
It's because Epic gave no ability to opt out and it's eroding the value perception of their game. Think of why almost every mobile game has to have a freemium model because of the incredible mental resistance to spending even a couple bucks on a new mobile game.

Good Twitter thread about it:

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/s...13218321027073

Last edited by Jragon; 05-19-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:19 AM

Right. If players see that a game was once sold for $30, even for a short time, they'll never pay $60 for it.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Right. If players see that a game was once sold for $30, even for a short time, they'll never pay $60 for it.
And there's been a push over the last few years to increase the price of new games - AAA games used to launch at £40 and are now launching at £50. Giving people £10 off undermines that pricing strategy. Whether you agree with that pricing or not (I don't pay £40 for games, never mind £50) it should be up to the dev/pub and not a third party without consultation, especially on pre orders!
Old 05-20-2019, 11:48 AM

I see. Thanks for the edumacation ! Je me coucherai moins con ce soir, which is always something to aspire to.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:23 PM

I don't really even have anything to say about this other than Epic seems to have a pathological need to piss everyone off

https://kotaku.com/epic-games-store-...too-1834905266
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 PM

Considering that I'm the subject of a (weeeeeaaksaaauuce) pit thread due to my posts in this thread and the other related one, I will say that at this point I'll agree that Epic is doing a fantastic job of stepping on their dick.

Ain't MAD at them, but yeah.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
It's because Epic gave no ability to opt out and it's eroding the value perception of their game. Think of why almost every mobile game has to have a freemium model because of the incredible mental resistance to spending even a couple bucks on a new mobile game.

Good Twitter thread about it:

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/s...13218321027073
heh look at a games review on the app its "why do i have to buy gems diamonds coins ect to recharge faster .... can't it just be free? " the minute they have to charge for something .....

i think i read a thing a while back that said the guy whos in charge of the app store said they should of never let a free to play game on it ... let alone something ad based or "freeiumin " like we have now ....

Last edited by nightshadea; 05-20-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
heh look at a games review on the app its "why do i have to buy gems diamonds coins ect to recharge faster .... can't it just be free? " the minute they have to charge for something .....

i think i read a thing a while back that said the guy whos in charge of the app store said they should of never let a free to play game on it ... let alone something ad based or "freeiumin " like we have now ....
Personally I tend to gravitate toward “pay for a game once then never again” type apps. In my experience they’re better quality and less annoying. Freemium games usually slip in hidden paywalls and base gameplay around trying to hook you then milk you by making you frustrated, then dangling relief in front of your nose while making a “gimme” sign with their other hand.

Games you pay for up-front don’t need to do that. They have your cash already so let you have fun.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 PM

So....
I suck at Borderlands 2 now it seems.

I started the new DLC that is a bridge to the B3 story. I pulled the DLC, and loaded up the game for the first time in years. I looked at my characters, looked at my equipment, looked at my inventory and skills trees and remembered maybe 10% of what the hell any of it was. Jumping into the DLC in Ultimate mode went about as well as you would expect, utter suckitude.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
in Ultimate mode
If memory serves, you can downgrade your current mode on the player selection menu.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:10 PM

Playing TVHM with an UVHM character is much worse. Everything is a only hit kill, if you even bother to shoot back instead of just strolling through imperviously.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Slowly getting a bit closer to speed, but still dying an embarrassing amount of the time.

I did find an effervescent weapon, an incendiary sub-machine gun,