Old 12-29-2018, 11:50 AM

Nice, and congrats

Anyone ever skiied Angle fire?. We won't be doing our trip back to Park City this year but may be able to take a March trip to Angle fire. We stayed up there over Thanksgiving and it is very pleasent , I didn't get much of a sense of the mountain though.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2018/12/2...sorts-chair-5/

We rode this chair several times the day before the evac. That terrain is interesting.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:58 PM

A good January 1st. Four hours GS telemark, two hours Super-G alpine, lasagna dinner, then one hour cross-country classic at night. All praise be to Ullr's beneficence in the last week of last year (my driveway http://imgbox.com/x0hz15gA).

Last edited by Muffin; 01-01-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Off to a tele training session on the local bump tonight since I've been unexpectedly pulled in to teaching beginner tele on Saturday. The current forecast for teaching is low 40s and raining.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Off to a tele training session on the local bump tonight since I've been unexpectedly pulled in to teaching beginner tele on Saturday. The current forecast for teaching is low 40s and raining.
Ick. Hope it changes for you.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Ick. Hope it changes for you.
Changes to what? 30s and raining?
Old 01-03-2019, 05:57 PM

Freezing rain -- that hit us this afternoon, so once it started I bailed out and went to the office. It came from the south, so I'm blaming it on you.

I left tele boots and skis in my locker for one of our tele club member in from Norman Wells (arctic mainland) for a couple of days. There's only flatland skiing there, so he's been pretty eager to hit the slopes -- today -- the day that brought us freezing rain. It stopped about an hour ago, so I'm packing it in at the office to spend a couple of hours skiing this evening and hopefully catching up with our visitor, but I'll be wearing my kayaking spray jacket just in case.

Looks like I was lucky yesterday for work kept me from skiing. Something buggered up the power out by the hill, resulting in the lifts having to be evacuated. Over an hour for the last poor bastards.

Winter is interesting.

Last edited by Muffin; 01-03-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Tonight was firm conditions, comparable favorably to well cured cement. We had fun and it was good to be on tele again before teaching on Saturday. I learned to ski on that hill, it's always fun to be back.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

It was in the mid 30's but only periodic rain, and none of it hard. A good day teaching on the hill.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:08 PM

Full throttle today for the first time this season, bending GS Dobermanns like Beckham on Ontario's premiere GS pitch. Very hard surface but not ice, challenging pitch changes. Full commitment telemarking, literally launching into each turn at the end of each carve.

Or to put it another way, ski time to pass out after skiing time ratio was 1:1.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I am literally not in the same league as you telemarkers.

Anyway, I've hit the slopes every weekend since Christmas here in New England: Wachusett, Okemo, and Mount Snow so far. I'll be going back to Wachusett this weekend with my son and some other friends. We're all intermediate skiers. I'm planning to work on my technique: more carving and less skidding.

Next week I head out to Park City!

Also have overnight trips booked for Sunday River in Maine, Stowe in Vermont, and Pats Peak/Mount Sunapee in New Hampshire over the course of the next six weeks.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Headed to Bolton Valley backcountry on Saturday. Not sure yet about Sunday, maybe MRG if the snow reports are good. Looks like VTah got some good dumping today and maybe some more tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Last weekend plans were cancelled, by wife was too sick to head out and the cold temps would have set back her recovery for weeks.

This weekend looks like snow in the forecast, especially for Sunday. I floated the idea of skiing Sunday/Monday at Jay Peak since that would give us the most skiing in the best snow, but I just glanced at the forecast high temp for Monday, -7. Ouch.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM

Kirkwood on Sunday - gorgeous weather, excellent coverage, busy but not horrible lift lines. Legs screaming after each lap by the end of the day. It's dumping hard in the Sierras all this week - expected 2-4+ feet by Friday, with the main storm hitting this evening thru tomorrow (packing 80-100 MPH winds along the ridges and peaks). Winter has arrived! Powder Alert for Friday!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Powder day in the NH backcountry, hit it just right. Followed by a Patriots victory and a hot tub.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

I've now skied 13 days this season!

Park City was great...spent most of our time on the Canyons side. They are having a great year for snow this season, and we hit it just right. They got 34 inches of snow while we were there, including 21 inches on Friday (1/19). I had a little difficulty getting used to skiing in actual snow (as opposed to the typical hard pack of New England), but was getting more used to it by the time I left. I hit the hot tub each night, and got 3-4 inches of snow in my flip-flops one night!

Last weekend I went to Sunday River in Maine, and it was also great, but completely different conditions. Back to cold, icy, rock hard slopes. Temps were mostly in the single digits, with highs in the teens. Pretty fast conditions, but had to take frequent breaks avoid frostbite on toes and fingers. Also hit the hot tub each night...it was so cold out that my beer got colder the longer it sat, and my glass of ice water froze completely solid.

This weekend my son and I are taking a day trip to Killington in Vermont. It's also supposed to be very cold.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Too much snow to ski!

Heavenly got about 36" overnite and looks like they didn't even bother to try to some upper lifts dug out.

I'm watching the web-cams, and they are just now (1:30pm) starting to think about beginning to dig out Comet Chair. Didn't get Dipper running till around Noon-ish. On a Sunday.

I stayed home. Didn't want to fight for parking, and the wife took the AWD Little Red Shit Car.

Tomorrow...
Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 PM

More Heavenly Weirdness:

It's now 3:20pm. The lifties have been roping up the maze for Comet chair for about 20 minutes now. Chair isn't open, but they toil away.

Thing is, all lifts close at 4pm anyway. Why bother at this point?

Web cams are fun. https://www.skiheavenly.com/the-moun...tain-cams.aspx
Old 02-10-2019, 07:42 PM

What happens when the recent unpleasantness of repeated winter storms results in very firm but ice free skiing on the best GS pitch between the Rockies and the Laurentians? 48,750 vertical feet of hard charging tele turns today. Wheeeeeee!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
More Heavenly Weirdness:

It's now 3:20pm. The lifties have been roping up the maze for Comet chair for about 20 minutes now. Chair isn't open, but they toil away.

Thing is, all lifts close at 4pm anyway. Why bother at this point?

Web cams are fun. https://www.skiheavenly.com/the-moun...tain-cams.aspx
Yeah, over the past 2 weekends; the highways closed, the resorts closed, due to weather. I was able to get up to Heavenly on Thursday and enjoyed one of those perfect days. If these storms woulda hit during the week it may have been better for the resorts, but the weekend closures are probably not helping their bottom line. As long as it stays cold, the snow should last a while tho.

I like the snow-stake video in the above link - watch it for the last week. It's interesting how the snow melts/compresses between storms. The one for Northstar nearly broke (starts leaning).
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
I was able to get up to Heavenly on Thursday and enjoyed one of those perfect days.
I was there Thursday, too. Did you see me? Guy in the black jacket.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I was there Thursday, too. Did you see me? Guy in the black jacket.
I am sure you saw me, too. I was the guy with the black helmet.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Just got back from Stowe in Vermont. First time I've ever skied there.

Conditions on Saturday weren't great due to high winds, and most of the lifts (including the gondola) were shut down. The wind made the below-zero temps feel even colder, and the line got pretty long at the one lift still running. It worked out OK, though -- after I took a break to warm up, the crowd had cleared out.

The winds died down overnight, and Sunday was fantastic. I skied over 25K vertical feet in 4-1/2 hours. Conditions were "firm and fast." According to my ski tracking app, I had a sustained speed of 41.5 mph on one run, and a top speed of 47.3 mph, which are both personal records for me.

The town was nice, too. We had dinner Saturday night at the Trapp Family Lodge.

Last edited by robby; 02-12-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:29 PM

Heavenly Can't Catch A Break!

Holiday weekend, been shut down entirely or mostly for a few days due to wind and dumpage. They get opened up today (Sunday), still a little windy and snowy, but reasonable.

Power Outage! Shuts down the Nevada side around 1pm. Oh, The Humanity!

Maybe tomorrow? Not for me. I'm Blacked Out, I think.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
The town was nice, too. We had dinner Saturday night at the Trapp Family Lodge.
Try Hen of the Wood in Waterbury for a great meal.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Try Hen of the Wood in Waterbury for a great meal.
Thanks! At my wife's suggestion, we're actually going back to Stowe in two weeks, so maybe we'll be able to try out your suggestion.

Planning to head to Okemo tomorrow for a day trip. Hopefully the drive isn't too bad -- snow is supposed to start around midnight, but only 1-3 inches are predicted. The drive is around 2-1/2 to 3 hours each way.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 AM

We deep-sixed our plans for a Canada ski trip - expect 4 niece/nephew weddings this summer to eat up a chunk of our travel/vacation budget. But we were feeling restless, so we decided to book 5 days at Deer Valley. Enjoyed it so much last year when we went w/ 2 of our kids and their SOs - wife and I decided to do it again, just the 2 of us - last week in March. Going whole hog - staying at the Goldener Hirsch. So looking forward to it!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Had a great day at Okemo in Vermont yesterday. It was a long drive for a day trip, but road conditions were pretty good at least.

It was a light wintry mix as I left Connecticut yesterday morning, but it had turned to light snow by the time I hit Vermont. It snowed throughout the day, until the sun came out by mid-afternoon. A guy I talked to who had been there the whole holiday weekend said that Monday was the best day -- best snow conditions of the weekend, and the crowds were pretty low, too.

Due to the fresh snow, it was getting pretty chopped up by the end of the day, but I was pleased that I handled it just fine. (I had a lot of trouble with this in the past.)

On the last run of the day, I ran into a big crowd of people heading back to the main lodge. The trail widened out with a mix of chopped-up crud and large patches of skied-off ice. There were bodies* everywhere. Still made it down with no issues -- took the fall line straight down off to one side.

*skiers/riders who have fallen down
Old 02-19-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Heavenly Can't Catch A Break!

Holiday weekend, been shut down entirely or mostly for a few days due to wind and dumpage. They get opened up today (Sunday), still a little windy and snowy, but reasonable.

Power Outage! Shuts down the Nevada side around 1pm. Oh, The Humanity!

Maybe tomorrow? Not for me. I'm Blacked Out, I think.
I sure hope you got on the slopes yesterday - the blackout was only Sat and Sun (at least with my pass).

We planned to go to Kirkwood yesterday but the road was still closed at Carson Spur, so we just headed up toward Lake Tahoe thinking Heavenly. Amazing, massive amounts of snow along the roads. As we passed Echo Summit we contemplated just going to Heavenly as it would have been epic to see the Lake from the upper mountain with that much snow around, but decided to venture around to Kirkwood, thinking with the Spur closed the holiday crowd would be less.

We were treated to an almost dream-like day! The drive over Luther Pass and Carson Pass was spectacular - every needle, every branch, in every stand of trees totally coated. The meadows were pristine. At Carson Pass the visitor center literally buried. At Kirkwood it was like a weekday - while there were people around - plenty of open space on the slopes. In the AM the air still frosty and the east wind blowing and re-organizing the powder for us, along with keeping snow crystals aloft with the sun shining thru them. Never got above 20F.

Altho we rolled the dice on the Spur being open for our return trip to the west in the afternoon, it was still closed - but we got to drive back thru that incredible landscape again as the sun was lowering. An incredible day!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
I sure hope you got on the slopes yesterday - the blackout was only Sat and Sun (at least with my pass).
Stayed home Monday. But today was beyond belief. 99.599% perfect conditions (for me).

Nice packed powder moguls, sunny, not too cold, no wind, no crowd, perfect parking, good drive up, good drive back. Just under 30k vertical feet, found a wad of cash (who loses cash skiing? ), rescued some idiot's snowboard that got loose down the face, brought it back to the top for them...

All fun and games! Home in time to takes the dogs out in the Jeep. Had a few beers.

A good day. Going tomorrow...
Old 03-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Just got back from 3 days in Stowe. It was supposed to be only two days, but my wife was worried about driving home into the snowstorm that was hitting southern New England on Sunday evening, so we extended another day.

Stowe is an interesting ski resort. The lodge I'd been using as a home base (Mansfield Lodge) is this old, rustic building built in the early 1940s by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps). On my second day, I finally took the Over Easy Gondola to Spruce Peak. There they've built this modern base lodge with a whole ski village just like you'd find in a place like Park City. It was like night and day. I insisted my wife come over with me for lunch, and she was so impressed we ended up spending the night in the fancy hotel there (which was nearly twice as much as the budget hotel we'd been staying at, but it was worth it).

Anyway, the skiing was great, especially on Monday when the crowds thinned out. The weather and snow conditions were perfect the whole trip. I skied nearly 62K vertical feet, which was pretty good since I stopped at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday and Monday (Sunday because I thought we were driving home, and Monday because we actually did drive home).
Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 PM

It only took two years of pondering. I finally figured out how to remove a Dobermann World Cup built-in riser plate. Two years of wondering how to unscrew the horizontal 2001 Space Odyssey obelisk. Two years before it occurred to me that if it is not bolted on and there are no tabs or buttons or whistles to play with, then it must slide off. T-w-o y-e-a-r-s!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:42 AM

A very nice combination of things led to a terrific day of skiing. A season with lots of snow, rain two days ago followed by a deep freeze, followed by repeated grooming to compact the run into boilerplate on which FIS Alpine will be holding a race this coming week (International Slalom Race Series), all nicely tied up in a bow (netting installed by mid-morning). Instead of the lift opening at 10, it opened at 7, so I was able to get in about six hours of hard charging razor carving GS until the slope lost direct light after 4. The slope faced the sun and by noon there was a slight dampening of the surface, so speeds picked up from the mid 80s to over 105 kph. There is a God, his name is Ullr, and he skis tele.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 AM

And at the other end of the spectrum, a never-on-skis-before person came out on Friday night for tele instruction. We worked on motion on skis (sliding and edging) and basic stance for a couple hours. Lots of yelps and shrieks and laughter despite the rather firm snow!

The last hour was spent working with her friend on a modest GS slope. Last week we worked on tilting and counter rotation, so this week we got into that more deeply with stacking and coiling.

After the lights went out it was back to the chalet for a chat about how to pick a helmet, a debrief on how it had gone on the hill, and a dryland exercise to practice during the week: thinking about centre of mass while performing alternating leg lateral hops from ball of one foot to the ball of other foot in basic ski stance, then repeating while lowering into a tuck, then repeating while rising into basic stance; second, same as first only landing on flat foot rather than just ball of foot.

Want to feel good? Go skiing. Want to feel very good? Help someone learn to ski -- their delight is infectious.

Last edited by Muffin; 03-17-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Two full days of tree runs at Jay Peak, only hit one of them. Surprisingly good snow on top of a firm smooth base, and me on my first real pair of all mountain alpine skis in 30 years. Lots of fun, and I'll have a hematoma to remember it by.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:00 PM

Spring has sprung around Tahoe! Picture-perfect conditions: blue skies, light/no wind, temps climb from teens to low 40s, light crowds, wearing light/cool ski gear, nearly everything open and groomed within an inch of it's life. A weekday at Northstar with some buddies netted around 20 runs and about 30K vertical. A couple days later at Heavenly with a friend with another 20 or-so runs and another 20K+ vertical. Lots of edge-riding with plenty of grip - just let the skis do the work. Life is good - seems like endorphins still in the blood!

Man, the snow is fine and there is a lot of it, but this week is expected to be warm, so all that goodness will likely be paved-over cement by next weekend, unless a late week storm adds some refreshment.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Heading to Deer Valley next Monday. Can't wait (tho it is going to be warm there this week!)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:45 PM

The bad -- a little kid fell of the lift from about fifteen feet. The good -- the little kid missed landing on a fellow celebrating his 84th birthday. The bad -- the little kid injured one of his ankles. The good -- the octogenarian was a retired doctor.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Powder day at my favorite ski area, Mad River Glen, VT. Storm forecast to come in Friday night, at the last minute we got a reservation nearby for Saturday night and planned to drive up in the morning. There were some sketchy moments on the drive up, one stretch of road had a dozen cars off and into the guard rail but the snow tires on the Suby did their job. When we got to MRG we were the 2nd to last car to make it in the lot for an easy spot, but they did manage to fit more in elsewhere. Either way we were happy to be parked in the lot.

The storm delivered. They reported 24"-30" and it seemed that way in the trees. The Single chair was on wind hold until noon so the line on the Double was quite long, but every run was amazing. Deep untracked snow in the trees, coverage was deep everywhere, and smiles were all around. We ate a quick lunch and headed down to the newly open Single, had one of my best runs at MRG ever. A second run on the Single, then a few more on the Double, and got down after the lifts closed.

Today a back country touring day at Bolton Valley, deep snow but getting sticky in the warm sun. I had some wax sticking problems, but in the end it was a glorious way to end the weekend.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:31 PM

Sound like you had a magical day at the Mecca of telemark skiing.

-
Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 PM

On Saturday I showed up at the Barskibarski with a new pair of ski boots (Scott
Voodo 75mm).

There were a lot of comments along the lines of “Where are the holes?” and “Where are the wires?”

Let’s just say that a new pair of boots was long overdue – very long overdue, but I’m not one to discard something that still functions brilliantly.

Then one of my friends asked, “How much did those things cost?”

“120 bucks.” That’s $90 in American for boots that typically retail for about $600 USD, which led to the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question: “Do they work?”

So after struggling to put them on, off I went for an hour of so, and came back with a definitive: “Totally unskiable! Every time I lift my heel it moves up inside the boot.” The thing is, with a telemark turn you lift one of your heels during the turn, so if your heel lifts inside the boot but the heel of the boot does not lift much, well, nothing good comes of that. And I have a narrow heel. Sort of like driving a Toronado without the spring that holds the tilt and telescope functions of the steering wheel in place (don’t ask).

I spent the rest of the day trying various combinations of insoles and heel lifts, and eventually got the boots dialled in (pre-baking) for a delightful day of spring skiing in snow softened by the 13c / 55f air. So far, so good.

The true test was on Sunday, for it went down to -11c / 12f overnight, turning what had been friendly snow into distinctly unfriendly very hard pack and ice. Would the boots be sensitive enough and stiff enough to get the job done? I was very pleasantly surprised, for they did well with open step turns on 50 degree very hard pack, and carved turns at speed on 40 degree ice -- both of which require a lot of lateral stiffness in conjunction with sensitivity. I had expected them to wobble, but they didn’t. Quelle surprise that there were no surprises!

Assuming that the don’t simply blow apart, I just might have got a good deal with these boots.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Nowhere in the same league as the rest of you, but just got back from several wonderful days of spring skiing at Deer Valley.

No fresh show until 10" or so the last day, but my wife and I are about cruising the groomers, so it was fine. Took a lesson the morning of day one, and by the end of the trip I was rocking the blues (until my legs screamed at me to get back on the greens!)

MAN, I LOVE spring skiing. Took the inner layer out of my jacket, wore my lightest gloves, no beanie under the helmet... We stayed halfway up the slopes, so in the a.m. I was the first skier down the slopes a couple of days. Pretty neat! And we were able to stop off in our room for breaks during the day, allowing me to ski until the shut down the lifts. I think maybe 5 times I had to wait as long as 30 seconds for a lift...

Already thinking about next spring... Maybe we'll head back to Denver, where one of my kids lives...
Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

The corn harvest is getting underway, but we're leaving for a hiking trip in two weeks so our time is mostly spend on dirt right now. So glad we got those last two weekends of winter in.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM

Found a new-in-wrappers pair of Dynamic VR27 Slaloms, 207's, from around 1990 in a thrift store yesterday.

Can't wait to mount them up and hit the snow!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Found a new-in-wrappers pair of Dynamic VR27 Slaloms, 207's, from around 1990 in a thrift store yesterday.

Can't wait to mount them up and hit the snow!
I still have my K2 712, 195s from the same era. Need working bindings, tho, then I'll race ya down the bumps on Gunbarrel!
Old 04-19-2019, 02:19 PM

I've got a pair of Tyrolia 590's you are welcome to. Let me know when you're up and we can try to hand them off. Good shape and all the hardware is there.

Got in 2 days this week. Tuesday was perfect, yesterday was slightly less so. Pretty darn slushy.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Got in a final day of the season, on the southeast snowfields of Mt Washington. The auto road typically opens for Memorial Day weekend so we drive up to 6000' and hit the longest snowfield with easy access - Slackfest. This year was fantastic on Monday, sunny and warm in the morning, around 500' of vertical, and a festive crew. There were at least 200 people up there at various times, although some just came for a single run, others stopped by after skiing down the bigger chutes into the Great Gulf. Excellent way to end the ski season.