Old 06-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

MLB: June 2019

It's summer and the Dodgers are 9 games up in the NLWest.

Life is good.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:17 PM

the Dodgers have the best record in the NL and the giants are in the toilet like they're supposed to be life is very good
Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I cannot believe how terrible the Blue Jays are. I expected them to be bad, but they're way past that. The Vegas over/under on their wins this year was 77 and I should have bet my house on it. 57 looks likely.

The Jays are hitting .219 AS A TEAM. That is the team batting average. Only three players on the team have an OPS+ above 100, and two - Eric Sogard and Vladdy Jr. - haven't played the whole season, and Sogard is 7-for-39 in his last ten games so he was likely a fluke.

The scary thing is they're now talking about trading away Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez. The team has literally no one to replace them with; no starting pitcher in Buffalo appears remotely capable of pitching in the major leagues. The team has some really good hitting prospects but no hurler has panned out at all.

It's absolutely the worst Blue Jays team since I started watching baseball, and with no pitching prospects anywhere near the majors, the medium term future isn't looking great.

Last edited by RickJay; 06-03-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 AM

After getting smoked by Tampa Bay last Thursday, the Twins finished May and started June by taking 3 in a row in their 4 game set with the Rays. I'm just gonna keep enjoying the ride as far as it goes with this Twins team as right now they are just really fun to watch. Most of the press goes to all the runs they're scoring, but the starting pitching is really having a heck of a year too!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:48 AM

The Twins should go get Kimbrel.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:18 PM

If my Dodgers run everyone else in the division to double-digit games behind leader I'm going to start running out of things to talk about. Recently, they brought up a kid catcher for a taste of the Bigs, and all he did the other night was hit the walk-off homer. We may be auditioning some youth to trade for some relief, but I hope he's not part of a package.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Yanks are still winning at a great rate with a ducktape and bailing wire roster but are now seeing those on the IL start coming back. Betances & Judge are getting close.

Yanks just drafted a local kid , Anthony Volpe from Morristown, NJ in the first round. He's a SS.

It looks like they might sign Dallas Keuchel, if they do I think it means they're worried about Severino.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:41 PM

Didi will be next, and maybe Stanton too, before Judge and Betances. I can't wait to see Kendrys Morales released. They should get Kuechel regardless of what happens with Sevy. This the year to go for it.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 PM

Don't look now, but the Nats are creeping back into the NL East race. They've won 8 out of 10 and are just 6 games back of the Phillies. The bullpen seems to have recouped a modicum of competence and the bats are waking up.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Yankees lose to the Jays. Giants win.

Life is good.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:57 AM

The sexfecta is Yankees, Cubs and Braves lose; Mets, Red Sox and Indians win.

Not that common these days.

In other heavily consequential news, Pirates announcers have moved ahead in the race for dumbest on-air comments, mostly in the genre of these-young-players-nowadays.
This doesn't include the priceless back-and-forth during a game the other night against the Brewers. Milwaukee had a 5-2 lead when I tuned in the radio broadcast, and the Pirates play-by-play and color guy were having a great time ridiculing an alleged Brewer baserunning mistake that they speculated could cost the Brewers more runs and ultimately the game (one went so far as to express confidence that the Pirates would now come back and win).

Final score: Brewers 11, Pirates 5.

There's lots of competition for broadcast dickheads, but these guys are trying to set the standard.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Kimbrel to the Cubs.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Kimbrel to the Cubs.
And sorely needed, too. And it's reported to be a multi-year deal.

Andrew McCutchen is out for the rest of the season with a torn ACL.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:48 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/a...-the-deadline/
Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Jays Fan

The Yankees looked like they'd never lose again, the Blue Jays looked like they'd never win again, and so of course, the Yankees go to Toronto to pick up some easy wins and promptly lose the first two. Baseball is weird.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
The sexfecta is Yankees, Cubs and Braves lose; Mets, Red Sox and Indians win.
Well, 5 out of 6 last night (Cubs spoiled the sexfecta by winning) isn't bad.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Another Immaculate Inning for Sale. This is the third time in MLB history that one pitcher has pitched the two most recent ones. The other two were Sandy Koufax and Lefty Grove.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:28 PM

Will the Red Sox have any kind of appreciation day for Mike Yastrzemski when the Giants play on Sept. 17?

Or will he just have a really long standing ovation for his first time at bat?

Carl could throw out the first ball to Mike. That would be cool.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The Yankees looked like they'd never lose again, the Blue Jays looked like they'd never win again, and so of course, the Yankees go to Toronto to pick up some easy wins and promptly lose the first two. Baseball is weird.
Nifty little aside from that game: Guerrero's eighth-inning homer was the first time Zack Britton was taken yard on a below-the-strike-zone sinker.
That's after 2,475 below-k-zone sinkers.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:16 AM

Dallas Keuchel to the Braves.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Jays Fan

If the Minnesota Twins keep hitting homers at this rate they'll hit 310 bombs.

The AVERAGE MLB team is on pace to hit 222 dingers, an incredible number.

Last edited by RickJay; 06-07-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
If the Minnesota Twins keep hitting homers at this rate they'll hit 310 bombs.

The AVERAGE MLB team is on pace to hit 222 dingers, an incredible number.
Wow. Growing up, I remember the '61 Yankees as being the prototypical example of a team that put up huge power numbers; with Maris hitting 61 home runs, and Mantle hitting 54, they totaled 240 home runs. That record has been surpassed seventeen times so far, all in the past 23 years, and it sounds like it'll be passed by several teams, at least, this season.

The game, she doth change.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 06-07-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:22 PM

I hate to beat my dead hobby horse, but I'd happily trade 25% of the home runs for a 25% reduction in the strike out rate.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The game, she doth change.
The balls do, anyway.

The AAA leagues are now using the MLB ball, and their homer rates are up similarly:
Quote:
But the ball isn’t staying in the park. Last April, Triple-A hitters homered once every 47 plate appearances. As the weather warmed up, so did the home run rate. Over the course of the entire 2018 season, Triple-A hitters homered every 43 plate appearances. So far this year, they are homering every 32 plate appearances. Triple-A hitters are hitting home runs at a rate of 135 percent of last year’s rate.

Across Class A and Double-A, hitters are hitting .231 (low Class A) to .234 (high Class A and Double-A). Those batting averages are 17 to 20 points below where they ended up for 2018. Slugging percentages are down roughly 30-35 points from last year’s averages as well. And home run rates similarly are down. In the first couple of weeks of the season, the home run rate at those three levels ranges from 81.6 percent of 2018’s numbers (low Class A) to 88.8 percent (Double-A).
Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

The most frustrating team in MLB, the Nationals, have hit 4 home runs in a row. I have never seen this in many years of watching baseball, not even at class A ball.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:43 PM

Former player David Ortiz was been shot, according to his father. No word yet on his condition.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...z-shot-wounded
Old 06-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Shit, why is Ortiz living in the DR? It's clear they need money down there and a lot of people are willing to kill to get it (yeah, yeah, yeah, tell me I'm a bigot - whatever )
Old 06-09-2019, 10:54 PM

Where does it say he lives there? He could be there for business or family reasons.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 PM

I believe he's from there. If he still has family there, it's close enough to living there for government wirk
Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The most frustrating team in MLB, the Nationals, have hit 4 home runs in a row. I have never seen this in many years of watching baseball, not even at class A ball.
Yeah, three in a row is the most I've seen (and more than once, I believe), but four in a row has apparently only happened nine times at the major league level (before this one, last by the Nationals in 2017). And the last six times were from 2006 onward. ETA: Actually, the one from 2017 is interesting. They missed getting five in a row, but the sixth guy up also hit a homer, so five homers in six batters.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-10-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Where does it say he lives there? He could be there for business or family reasons.
Just ftr, when Papi was married to a woman he met in Wisconsin when playing in the minors, they spent half of their winters in the DR and half in Green Bay.

Latest reports are that he needed a bowel resectioning and lost his gall bladder. The bullet passed all the way through his abdomen and hit a friend in the leg. The shooter is in bad shape too, after other people at the bar got hold of him.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Madison Bumgarner is one sensitive snowflake.

If that's a "bat flip", I'm the Emperor of Brazil.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm confused, too, because Bumgarner wasn't even looking towards Muncy when that "flip" happened. (And, yeah, what flip? But Bumgardner clearly didn't see it, at least the way I'm seeing the video, unless there's another "bat flip" I'm missing. He's watching the ball sail, too. Not even peripherally could he have seen it.) There's something else going on there to piss him off, I think. Probably some jabber jawing or something.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I remember hearing about it when the Braves did it in 1961. Eddie Matthews, Hank Aaron, Joe Adcock, and Frank Thomas. Those were home run hitters. Then I was at the game the second time it happened. The Indians' Woodie Held, Pete Ramos, Tito Francona (current manager's dad) and Larry Brown. Of those only Woodie Held might be considered a home run hitter. Ramos was a pitcher. Brown was a shortstop with 47 career homers. Francona never hit more than 20 in a year.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Adam Eaton (who hit the 3rd of the 4 HRs) says: "“If you know how that happens and how you can hit four in a row again, let me know, because we’ll write a book and we’ll be rich." I guess his $8.4 million salary doesn't put him in that income bracket?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I'm confused, too, because Bumgarner wasn't even looking towards Muncy when that "flip" happened. (And, yeah, what flip? But Bumgardner clearly didn't see it, at least the way I'm seeing the video, unless there's another "bat flip" I'm missing. He's watching the ball sail, too. Not even peripherally could he have seen it.) There's something else going on there to piss him off, I think. Probably some jabber jawing or something.
The supposed "bat flip" had nothing to do with it. It was the slow walk at the start of the trot that got Bumgarner upset.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Yordan Alvarez just became the first Astro to ever hit a home run in each of his first two games. I have a feeling he won't be going back to the minors.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Yordan Alvarez just became the first Astro to ever hit a home run in each of his first two games. I have a feeling he won't be going back to the minors.
Now 4 in 5 games, which has only been done 3 times before, though the list of 3 does not inspire confidence - Trevor Story (good so far), Yasiel Puig, and some guy named Mike Jacobs.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:11 PM

The Yankees reportedly acquire Edwin Encarnación from the Mariners. Apparently the strategy is to corner the market on right-handed sluggers. With Stanton and Judge beginning minor-league rehab games, I have no idea how this is supposed to work. Hopefully it's part one of some greater plan being hatched by Brian Cashman.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
The Yankees reportedly acquire Edwin Encarnación from the Mariners. Apparently the strategy is to corner the market on right-handed sluggers. With Stanton and Judge beginning minor-league rehab games, I have no idea how this is supposed to work. Hopefully it's part one of some greater plan being hatched by Brian Cashman.
I see the Yankee Vice President In Charge Of Demoting Clint Frazier has been busy again. Sure, Clint seems to be a streaky hitter and had defensive lapses in right. But he's been one of the better bats this year and I think adequate in left. Encarnacion looks like a rental considering his age but Jesus, the need isn't in sluggers, it's in starting pitching. Too many people in the bullpen who'd be closers on a lot of teams, too many people in the bullpen period.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Frazier is a TERRIBLE outfielder. His hitting has been okay; he doesn't get on base as much as you'd like, but you could sure do worse.

I don't really understand why he needed to be sent down. There are worse players, that's for sure. All things considered he hasn't helped the Yankees much this year, but he's not killing them either, they're in first place and you'd think there would be value in letting the kid get MLB at bats.

Until Stanton and Judge get back, Frazier is arguably the team's best-hitting outfielder. It's not like Mike Tauchmann is tearing up the league, and they had options on him.

Last edited by RickJay; 06-17-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Frazier is a TERRIBLE outfielder. His hitting has been okay; he doesn't get on base as much as you'd like, but you could sure do worse.

I don't really understand why he needed to be sent down. There are worse players, that's for sure. All things considered he hasn't helped the Yankees much this year, but he's not killing them either, they're in first place and you'd think there would be value in letting the kid get MLB at bats.

Until Stanton and Judge get back, Frazier is arguably the team's best-hitting outfielder. It's not like Mike Tauchmann is tearing up the league, and they had options on him.
I believe they want him to work on his fielding and of course to play every day. Easier at AAA.

I don't love the trade or see much need for it, but that is the impression I had about Frazier going back to Scranton.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:29 PM

Only Yankees fans could complain about acquiring the AL's leading home run hitter.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
Only Yankees fans could complain about acquiring the AL's leading home run hitter.
I don't mind getting Encarnacion, I mind that they insist on having so many bullpen pitchers that they can't carry enough reserves. What is it about MLB managers that they act like a flock of birds- they all fly en masse in the same direction by some unseen force. They all carry too many relief pitchers, they all go to the shift, they all stop playing little ball and play a bloop and a blast. Even their uniforms- they all eschew dressing like the players and instead wear a sweatshirt with their uniform pants. Why even bother changing managers? They're all interchangeable now, it really doesn't matter which one you have.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I don't mind getting Encarnacion, I mind that they insist on having so many bullpen pitchers that they can't carry enough reserves. What is it about MLB managers that they act like a flock of birds- they all fly en masse in the same direction by some unseen force. They all carry too many relief pitchers...
MLB managers have no say over roster composition anymore. They have never has less actual power over real decisions. If they don't like how the GM runs things, they're hiring in other industries.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

The Phillies and Nationals have had horrible weather this week.

Can they schedule a makeup game on July 11 and sacrifice one day of the All Star Break? Or, is that against the collective bargaining agreement? DC looks tonhave rain for the next two days as well, and making up multiple games after the ASG is a pain. Thankfully Philadelphia is close to DC, so it’s not like this is a Padres series.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:40 PM

Sure, the Jays aren't all that swell right now, but cool seeing young'un Cavan Biggio (who didn't have the greatest of starts since coming up to the Bigs) hitting .421, 4 HR and 1.658 OPS in his last five games.
A powerful hitter, I hope he has a fine career.

ETA: hitting clean-up for the first time tonight.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 06-18-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 PM

so will the Dodgers have the NL sewn up by the all-star game and everyone else just paying for crumbs the rest of the season?

Last edited by nightshadea; 06-18-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:59 AM

Hold up, the Twins' manager is Rocco Baldelli? How did I miss this?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 AM

Here are some pictures of London Stadium being configured for baseball.. Hard to tell without seeing the dimensions, but it does seem a little cozy and homer-friendly.