Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 AM

It's chucking it down now and set to continue all night, so even if tomorrow starts brighter, probably take a while to get enough water out of the surface to be able to play.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Is there a specific reason why they can’t set a schedule so that there is a rain date automatically for the next day? I assume part of it is logistics-related, i.e. travel and lodging, but think that a 10-team championship should be able to accommodate rain dates. It just seems unfair to have the most prestigious championship in the sport to have unplayed matches.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Is there a specific reason why they canít set a schedule so that there is a rain date automatically for the next day? I assume part of it is logistics-related, i.e. travel and lodging, but think that a 10-team championship should be able to accommodate rain dates. It just seems unfair to have the most prestigious championship in the sport to have unplayed matches.
It's all logistics, and therefore costs.

There actually aren't that many outside broadcast units in the country capable of covering an ODI - the hotspot cameras and hawkeye systems and such aren't off the shelf, and they are currently running at one game a day, with some double headers. There's also the broadcasting itself, and the channel space and the staff (including the commentators!), and also the hospitality staff in the ground.

To make preparations for every game to possible need a rain day would cost a lot of money.

All three knock-out games have rain days in place.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I just thought I'd watch the last 20 odd overs of the Australian innings- they were doing well. The first ball I saw Maxwell was bowled!

Any tem that counts on any of the Marsh brothers is not really strong and seems we will have both them here.

Just on a different topic, has anyone else had issues with some deliveries of the Pakistani bowler Shaheen? It may just have been the angle I saw the delivery from.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Great finish to this one, 400+ looked possible for Australia and they've somewhat fluffed it. And now the Pakistan tail is wagging with some degree of control.

Not what I was expecting.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Mockers!

Shame Pakistan couldn't quite pull it off. They made a good start and were sitting pretty at 130/2, but a couple of mini-collapses (and good bowling, to be fair) have done for them. Australia lucky to get away with this one, I fear they will take this and the Windies result and use it to build confidence. I'd rather be facing Pakistan than Australia once we get to the KO, even with the risk that Pakistan might pull off a blinder.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Mockers!

Shame Pakistan couldn't quite pull it off. They made a good start and were sitting pretty at 130/2, but a couple of mini-collapses (and good bowling, to be fair) have done for them. Australia lucky to get away with this one, I fear they will take this and the Windies result and use it to build confidence. I'd rather be facing Pakistan than Australia once we get to the KO, even with the risk that Pakistan might pull off a blinder.
Inability to take catches is really costing Pakistan.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

I went to bed about midnight with Pakistan somewhere like 1 wicket for 40 and I thought on that ground Pakistan would win. I think Australia can count themselves lucky- Pakistan were inept in the field and Australia has a very ordinary attack once Cummins and Starc have finished. No idea why their best spinner is not playing.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:34 AM

So, England have saved the sunny weather for themselves and used it to stomp all over WI. I thought the two drops would cost us (especially as they were off Gayle and Russell) but fortunately neither went on to a big score. Good bowling by our attack with an unlikely bonus of 2 wickets from Root. And once again a solid start set an impregnable platform for the chase, despite Roy's injury. The current top 4 in the table (NZ, Eng, Aus, India) now looking by far the most likely to be contesting the semis, though no doubt Pakistan will have something to say about that.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

I think it will be England and India in the final, althought the Kiwi's are always a good one day team (and Test Team). Australia have too many weaknesses and if Starc/ Cummins get hurt or Warner/ Smith don't fire you can write them off. Nevertheless they are doing better than I expected and maybe the cards will fall into place.

In last nights game (for me) Root got a couple of unexpected wickets. It seems as if the Windies are running out of steam.

Although I will be cheering for Australia, if I bet on cricket I would have money on India.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 AM

I have to say that Gayle seems to be a bit of a busted flush. Of course he is immense fun and entertaining in many different ways but is he really the player that the Windies need?
Are they playing him out of habit? Anyroad, it was a bit of stroll for England yesterday and all the more impressive given that they were down a couple of front line batsmen.

Today sees what should be stroll for Australia but as I speak Sri Lanka are 94-0 after 11 chasing 335. Who are this team? and what have they done with the real Sri Lanka?

Afghanistan are stuttering to 69-2 after 20 against NZ with rain in the air. A stop-start game isn't going to help them at all.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 AM

There's been a lot of chat about the current top four being nailed on finishers, but there's a lot of games to go and there's some big games to play. And Sri Lanka here are showing that all those "should win" calculations don't mean anything until you get out there and play!
Old 06-15-2019, 02:33 PM

The real Sri Lanka return (to earth, with a thud) and join West Indies and Pakistan on the list of teams that had chances against Australia, but couldn't close it out.

England may yet mess it up (or India might lose to Pakistan), but right now the top four are looking pretty secure.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
The real Sri Lanka return (to earth, with a thud) and join West Indies and Pakistan on the list of teams that had chances against Australia, but couldn't close it out.

England may yet mess it up (or India might lose to Pakistan), but right now the top four are looking pretty secure.
I think you are very close to the mark with teams that "had a chance against Australia but couldn't close it out". The better teams will close it out.

When I went to bed Sri Lanka looked very comfortable.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
I have to say that Gayle seems to be a bit of a busted flush. Of course he is immense fun and entertaining in many different ways but is he really the player that the Windies need?
Are they playing him out of habit? Anyroad, it was a bit of stroll for England yesterday and all the more impressive given that they were down a couple of front line batsmen.

Today sees what should be stroll for Australia but as I speak Sri Lanka are 94-0 after 11 chasing 335. Who are this team? and what have they done with the real Sri Lanka?

Afghanistan are stuttering to 69-2 after 20 against NZ with rain in the air. A stop-start game isn't going to help them at all.
I tend to agree re Gayle, although one good innings from him and the game is virtually over. However they are pretty far apart these days. Really doesn't strike me as a team player and quite a few reservations were aired after his infamous "Don't blush baby" several years ago.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 AM

There's no team in "Universe Boss" and his knees have been gone for years. But he was absolutely monstrous against England in the Caribbean last winter (400+ runs in 4 innings). And he hasn't exactly been bad in this World Cup - his lowest score in three innings is 26 - so you can hardly blame him for West Indies failing. Maybe his timing has started to go just slightly and the big outfields are making it show.

It looks like ComedyPakistan have turned up to play India. This could be a very long day for them.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:51 AM

1-206 after 35 without significant fireworks so 350 is on
Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 AM

After a rain break, Kholi misses a hook by inches but walks. Blames a click in his MRF bat handle.
Heh, opportunity for another bat maker to be his sponsor.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:10 AM

336/5. It's raining at the break, so overs may well be lost for Pakistan, which may actually sit in their favour - the current D/L/S rules slightly favour the team batting second, it seems, but whatever it is in whatever overs they are alloted, it's going to be a tough ask. But Pakistan have been batting big in the series against England before the tournament started, so who knows?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM

I will tactfully not elaborate on the predictions in the previous post, mainly because Bangladesh have just smashed up my prediction of WI as dark horse for the top 4 by thrashing them today. A great moment for Bangladeshi cricket, well done to them. I don't think they'll make the semis but they are obviously still progressing and no side can take them lightly any more. As for Windies, I'd have thought they'd have learnt from their last game that they need another bowling tactic apart from banging it in short, but apparently not. Shame for them that they haven't managed to produce their best form when it matters.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I will tactfully not elaborate on the predictions in the previous post, mainly because Bangladesh have just smashed up my prediction of WI as dark horse for the top 4 by thrashing them today.
I did say it was a tough ask!

Well played to Bangladesh, and I'm a bit glad we've already played them. I think they'll falter against better opposition, but I think they are more likely to contest a semi final spot than WI or Pakistan now.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

That was a rather good batting performance by England. Morgan breaks Chris Gayle's record of most sixes in a ODI innings, smashing 17 of them in his 148. Root and Bairstow fall just short of centuries. 31 off 9 in a cameo by Ali. England break their own ODI record of most sixes in an innings, with 25. Just failed to reach 400. Rashid Khan breaks record for most runs conceded in a World Cup match with 110, off only 9 overs. 142 runs for England off the last 10 overs. Oh, and James Vince scratched around for 26.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Morgan was epic. Barely a mis-struck six among them. His 148 was off 71 balls, that was immense in itself but the fact is that he hit a century in sixes alone. Oh, and he didn't come in until the 30th over.. But then I suppose it meant he could rest his bad back.

Afghanistan currently 52-2 in a forlorn chase. I think the rise of Afghanistan cricket is one of the great, unheralded sporting stories of the last decade but I'm afraid they aren't going to get much glory out of this.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

It's been suggested on Cricinfo commentary that Afghanistan's best plan is to bat out as many overs as possible and forget about the score, they're not going to reach the target but they can get some useful experience against a top bowling attack. If they make it past 40 overs they can count that as an achievement, I think. On that basis, they're doing pretty well.

From an England perspective, obviously we want to restrict them to as few runs as possible to boost our NRR, just in case that becomes important later on.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Oh, and James Vince scratched around for 26.
In classic James Vince fashion, he got to 21, tried to give it away, was dropped, got himself up to 26 and then succeeded in giving it away.

This injury to Roy could be heavily consequential. Still India's tournament to lose in my view.

Last edited by Cumbrian; Yesterday at 11:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Agreed. They have the best bowler and one of the best batsmen. But they could get injured too, of course.

There might be a case for Roy slogging for boundaries and not running at all being more effective than Vince...
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

I think they need to have a serious think about opening with Root, for a number of reasons. Firstly, it gives him the most time at the crease - almost alone amongst England's batsmen, he is best playing a long innings at a run a ball - everyone else can go off in short bursts, so give him the slot which allows him to build a long innings of substance with everyone else going after it. Second, he doesn't slog much, but if he does in the opening 10 overs, there's not many men out, so his margin for error is bigger, should he feel the need. Third, and something we saw in the WI game, it guarantees a partnership with Bairstow - both of whom like to run hard between the wickets. England should always have knocked off the WI total - but Roy was injured and Morgan was injured, so it could have been a problem had a couple of quick wickets gone down. Instead, they didn't just slog, they kept the scoreboard moving by running - everything that doesn't go to the fence in the first 10 overs, given the fielding restrictions, becomes a 3.

Hales being a dickhead has not been helpful. The above is clearly a second best scenario. Ideally Roy would be fit and we'd keep attacking the first 10 overs by bashing it around.

Last edited by Cumbrian; Yesterday at 12:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Brutal by Morgan. He out-Gayled Chris Gayle, and not many people can claim that. Last game, England didn't hit a single six in motoring to 200+ at better that a run a ball, so maybe they thought they had some catching up to do. Incidentally, Afghanistan are yet to play West Indies, and the spectators for that one might need hard hats if Gayle decides he wants his record back.

The downside of opening with Root is that the innings loses its spine if he gets a great ball in the first couple of overs. Morgan / Stokes / Buttler are all at their best with him at the other end, because they know they don't have to smash everything to keep the scoreboard moving. But how many more times does Vince have to fail before the management decide he can't cut it at this level?
Any supporters for moving Moeen back to opener?

Some potential pressure games coming up - New Zealand - South Africa (who aren't as bad as they've played) is a potential banana skin, Bangladesh have to beat India or Australia or resign themselves to 5th place - and Australia look the easier challenge - and Sri Lanka have to beat England or go home (and it's also the last game England can't afford to lose).
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

The more I see of him the more I think of Vince as this generation's Mark Ramprakash - hugely talented, loads of runs, enjoyable to watch (well, not today), just can't quite cut it at the very top.
Old Today, 01:41 PM

Found myself getting surprisingly into NZ/SA, even though the result isn't likely to be hugely important from an England perspective. Been a fairly balanced game all the way through, but in the last few overs NZ have looked well in control and cruising to their target, with SA all over the place - dropping catches, missing run-outs, failing to review a decision that would have seen Williamson depart some time ago. And yet - here is a wicket, with 12 runs required from the final 2 overs! Exciting finish coming up, potentially.
Old Today, 01:58 PM

....and Kane Williamson shows what he thinks of exciting finishes, bringing up his hundred with the winning six. NZ are heading for the semis, and SA still don't know where they're going.
Old Today, 02:17 PM

Smacking a six in the final over to bring up your hundred and level the scores seems pretty exciting to me.

Does this mean only Bangladesh has a shot of making the semi finals?
Old Today, 07:05 PM

Would it be fair to say that England and India are roughly comparable on batting? They seem to be the only teams capable of consistently scoring 350+ and I suspect the match on the 30th will be a warm-up for the final.

I'm not yet convinced that New Zealand are as good as they look on the table right now. They've had fairly comfortable opponents and were destroyed by West Indies in a warm-up match (although they also beat India). They and Australia are probably the best of the rest but with a significant margin to England-India. There's still some mythology hanging around Australia but I don't think they have the firepower to beat either of them.