Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:20 PM

bouv, the ones you have now are the Holiday respecs. You can visit Jack Wolf in the main building in Galaxy City to respec, or stand somewhere (safe) and type /respec. It explains what you do from there.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv
OK, so I stopped playing for long time while my computer was busted, so now I'm back. Apparantly my old characters now have a free respec. How do I use this? I never had one high enough to do the terra volta missions before, so I have no idea what to do with it. And they say this free one on the 29th will replace any holiday ones...are those free ones the holoday one, or are they something different?
Yeah, they issued everyone a free respec in December when I3 was released. You access it by typing /respec in the chat line.

What it does is remove all your powers and dumps all slotted enhancements into a bin. You then rebuild your character from your chosen primary and secondary powers along with any pool powers and reslot them. Any leftover enhancements get sold.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 PM

OK, cool. For some reason I had the impression it couldn't be used until level 20. Of course, I don't think any of the characters I play need a respec. I know my ice blaster doesn't, cause I just checked, and my energy blaster...maybe. Flying isn't as great as I thought it was...but superspeed, while faster, limits my ability to go up...maybe great leap? Never used it before, so I don't know if it will be good. Oh well.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:44 AM

Copy your character to the test server, bouv. Then use the respec three or five times. See how different changes make you feel.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Flying isn't as great as I thought it was...but superspeed, while faster, limits my ability to go up...maybe great leap? Never used it before, so I don't know if it will be good. Oh well.
I only have three toons high enough to take a travel power. Two have Super Jump and one flies. Flight will get better with enhancements, three 'em will get it close to the game's maximum speed. Super Jump is great but takes a bit of practice to avoid landing in the middle of a group of baddies. Sometimes I like to take one of my SJ tanks up a skyscraper and jump from roof to roof, seeing how far he can get before he has to return to the street. I'm still trying to get them to jump from the roof of Paragon City Hall to the top of Atlas; some higher enhancements should do it.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:40 AM

I copy a character to the test server how, exactly? I have the test server loader (cause I awnted to try out issue 4, mostly for the new costume choices) so I've done half of whast I need to do. Is it just a metter of copying a profile or a file?

Too bas a respec can't let you change the power pool you choose. My current most played character (level 14 blaster) is ok, but I have found out I'm not a huge afn of devices. Although by not takign a lot of powers from my secondary, I leave myself open to take more power pools, so I don't have to sacrifice good powers just to waste them on leaping and health to get stamina, .
Old 04-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I copy a character to the test server how, exactly? I have the test server loader (cause I awnted to try out issue 4, mostly for the new costume choices) so I've done half of whast I need to do. Is it just a metter of copying a profile or a file?
There's instructions on the CoH boards somewhere. I'll try to find them for you.
Quote:
Too bas a respec can't let you change the power pool you choose. My current most played character (level 14 blaster) is ok, but I have found out I'm not a huge afn of devices. Although by not takign a lot of powers from my secondary, I leave myself open to take more power pools, so I don't have to sacrifice good powers just to waste them on leaping and health to get stamina, .
It does let you change power pools, you just can't change your primary and secondary sets.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

For bouv and anyone else who wants to try things out on the Test server, instructions on setting up the test client can be found here.

The Character Copy Tool can be found here. Use your game login and password, and it allows you to copy up to eight characters to the Training Room. You can make multiple copies of your characters--additional copies, or characters that have a name matching one already on the server, have a number appended to their names. Your enhancements (both slotted and inventory) and your inspirations transfer over, but your influence does not. Copying over with a full tray of enhancements will give you something to sell to scrap up some starting cash; if you have someone willing to "mule" for you, you can log on with a succession of copies and sell the same enhancements repeatedly and build up cash on the other character.

On using the free respec: I suggest holding off until I4 is released, so you can see what changes are made to powers--some of the tentative changes currently being tested could have a significant effect on your playstyle, and you may want to rearrange powers and slots to compensate. In the meantime, you can always try things out on Test. Take the Test changes with a grain of salt, however, as they can change at any time.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
... I'm not a huge afn of devices. Although by not takign a lot of powers from my secondary, I leave myself open to take more power pools, so I don't have to sacrifice good powers just to waste them on leaping and health to get stamina, .
!

I realize it may not suit your playstyle or character concept... but /Devices is far and away the best of the Blaster secondaries. Some of the early powers are kind of crappy (Web Grenade is okay, Caltrops is situationally very good but I don't like having to target my effect with the mouse, Taser blows), but the later ones are very good.

And while Health may be a wasted power, Hurdle is not -- it's actually one of the better early travel powers, as it adds both height and distance when leaping, so if you bunny-hop while traveling, you get additional speed.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4
(Web Grenade is okay, Caltrops is situationally very good but I don't like having to target my effect with the mouse, Taser blows.)
Au contraire! Web grenade is okay when it works (it seems to be very inaccurate, given my targetting drone is max slotted with SO accuracy enhancements), caltrops are good as a buffer (but some mobs seem to respond to them with insane aggro), but taser....taser is my little buddy. There's always one mob that will try and peel off and attack my blaster, and if it gets within melee range it gets a quick jab to the nuts with the taser. That generally fixes its little red wagon. I love my taser. Plus, it's accurate 97% of the time according to my Hero Stats program, which makes it a lot handier in my book than web grenade for keeping critters from beating my character into blaster paste.

Trip mines are brilliant if you have max-slotted Hasten, but otherwise they're really slow to lay. It is nice being able to sneak (using my device concealment) up to a bundle of white-con mobs and lay a trip mine at their feet. If in doubt I target them for an AE blast immediately after laying the mine - the combination of both blasts pretty much tends to destroy most - if not all - the nearby mobs.

So far I am massively underwhelmed with Time Bomb. Anyone else used it who can tell me if it gets better?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:13 AM

OK, so I just gotta wait till I can get the targeting drone (which I hear is good), trip mines, and cloaknig deivce. Got it.

Oh, quick question:

What happened to the fifth column? They used to be all over Steel Canyon, now all I see are council? Did they replace the 5th? Was there an in-game explaination (did a bunch of heroes take them down?)

Oh, and I have found out that a adrk/dark defender can seriously rock ass. Darkest night is my savior (did the Dr.Vahz mission with one of them, the ol' Doc himself hit our scrapper maybe five times the entire battle, and me once (cause I had to get him first with my snipe, before darkest night was used.))
Old 05-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
What happened to the fifth column? They used to be all over Steel Canyon, now all I see are council? Did they replace the 5th? Was there an in-game explaination (did a bunch of heroes take them down?)
The Council overtook the 5th Column at the beginning of I3. I'm still a little unsure of the specifics, but it had something to do with the Kheldians.

There was a period of about two weeks that spontanious gunfights would break out on the streets between the Council and the 5th Column. It really sucked if you got caught in the middle, as they would forget about killing each other and start shooting at you.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:13 AM

Run up to AV. Fully cloaked, of course. Have friends ready to grab aggro when you zip away. Set Time Bomb. When you finish standing up, count 10 seconds. At the very count of 10, set Trip Mine. As soon as you can move again, zip away around a corner. 2 explosions will occur at once, preventing knockback from one making an enemy not get hit by the other.

Street hunting. See 2 tasty groups to hit, and want to hit them both so that nobody takes the 2nd spawn. Drop Time Bomb in the center of one, run off to other, drop Trip Mine. Watch the Tripped ones die, finish off survivors, run to Timed group, watch them drop, finish off survivors.

Run up to nasty boss such as Fake Nemesis, Dark Ring Mistress, Gunslinger. Do AV maneuver. Engage in normal fight after explosions. (If you are me, on Plagatus, you shall at this time turn on Whirlwind and autofollow the boss while fighting for great justice.)
Old 05-03-2005, 07:44 AM

Well, that sounds like a good hint for Time Bomb, thanks! Question: How many damage slots do you have in yours? I like the AV idea.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:41 AM

My Plagatus is 50. He is an Ardevmun, so all of his attacks have 6 damage in them, except for the two bombs, who being drops are not affected by self-buffs, thus they have 1 accuracy and 5 damage, all being of course 50++, or 51++, or 52+ enhancements. Time Bomb has a bug where its base accuracy is lower than it should be -- this is fixed in I4. Many people find it less useful due to the accuracy drop, although I personally hardly notice it at all with the 1 accuracy. It may be merely 65% base instead of 75%. I'm not sure. While it doesn't do much nastiness to most AVs, it can still take off 5% of their health or so, plus the knockback of the two bombs can take the AVs off their feet for a few moments, which gives me time to run off and whatever is going to tank the AV time to run up and aggro it.

Bosses take around 40-50% damage from the combo...of course the only bosses I face are Fake Nemesis which I believe are a bit weak to Smashing. I don't remember offhand. Still, it's nice as a combo, almost kills off lieutenants, so that's nice too.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:10 PM

I'm *this* close to finishing World of Warcraft, and I've been really missing my CoH scrapper, Carapace. One of the main reasons I quit CoH a while back, though, was because the missions got really damned repetitive- talk to contact, contact tells you to go to building in other zone, clear out building, return to contact, contact tells you to defeat x number of y baddies, wash, rinse, repeat.

Have they added new mission types? I was seriously bored out of my gourd after a while- the only reason I enjoyed the game was playing "dress-up" with my hero.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin'
Have they added new mission types?
They've added some new tile sets but new mission types won't be until I5. At least I think that's where they're going to put the non-combat missions that Statesman has been talking about.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The details are still a trifle vague (at least to me), but I'll explain as much as I know. Evidently, there was a shadow organization within the Column all along. Requiem's backstory and one of the Column/Council arcs involve beings of darkness called Nictus and something called a Shadow Seed; the Nictus and the Seed were involved in empowering some of the Column's altered soldiers (Dark Vampyrii and War Wolves). With the release of I3, the world became aware that Kheldians--alien energy-beings who could merge with hosts of other species--were among us. The Nictus are evil Kheldians who possess hosts by force; warshades are Nictus-type Kheldians who have turned good, and peacebringers are Kheldians who merge with willing hosts. (I would guess that there's more detail in the Kheldian-specific story arcs, but I haven't done them.) When word got around, the Column realized it had been bossed around by aliens for decades and fighting broke out between the Nictus-controlled faction (the Council, led by someone/something called "the Center") and the rest of the Column. There were huge ongoing battles in the streets between Council and Column troops, in which (once someone aggroed them), members of the two factions actually killed each other (not just the "fight" emote mobs do). The Council won, and took the Column's place. Some of them--the Galaxy type--use Nictus powers openly.

Quote:
Oh, and I have found out that a adrk/dark defender can seriously rock ass. Darkest night is my savior (did the Dr.Vahz mission with one of them, the ol' Doc himself hit our scrapper maybe five times the entire battle, and me once (cause I had to get him first with my snipe, before darkest night was used.))
D3s are great. I have one, and I frequently duo her with another D3 played by a friend from work. Now that's safety.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:17 PM

I have a question about SGs, and administration of same.

My main character in Champion, Coldzone, started up a super-group called High Sociey, and he is of course the leader. Lute Skywatcher's two alts in that server are captains, as is my SO. All of my alts in that server are rank-and-file members, and Coldzone has since recruited a couple more members.

Is there a limit to the number of Captains an SG can have? I wanted to designate all of my alts Captains so I could recruit no matter who I happened to be playing at a given time, but it wouldn't let me. I then guessed that there can only be three Captains, so I tried to temporarily demote one so I could promote one of the alts I wanted to play. It wouldn't let me promote or demote anyone -- those "buttons" were just "faded out." Yes, this was as Coldzone; I would think the leader would be able to do as he pleased, but I'm being stymied.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

You can only do things to characters that are online at the time. You can't promote your own alts, but one of the other Captains can.

Lok
Old 05-03-2005, 01:48 PM

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Servers going down for approximately four hours tomorrow morning. Hmmm...
Old 05-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Too early. Too many bugs.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Hey all, it's me -- Nordic.

I finally got around to changing my lame-ass username to something a little more colorful and in keeping with SDMB tradition. Since you folks are the ones I interact with most regularly, I thought I'd let you know. Of course my CoH Global Chat name is still Nordic.

Has anybody gotten to see what the big server shutdown was about? I'm at work so I won't be able to get on the game until tonight.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:13 PM

Issue #4 is up, according to the updates section of the CoH website.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera
link
Old 05-04-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Duh...it should have occurred to me to check the website.

I don't suppose I'll have a prayer of getting on tonight; I'm sure it will be VERY busy.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, nuts. I wonder if we'll be able to get on to tackle Posi tonight.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Guess I was wrong. They were still bug fixing a day ago, so this doesn't bode well. The joys of software development; NCSoft must've been turning some pretty big screws, knowing the Cryptic would experience the storm.

I won't be on tonight, that's fairly sure.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:11 PM

I won't be either, but that's because its a girlfriends night.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentious Ectomorph
I finally got around to changing my lame-ass username to something a little more colorful and in keeping with SDMB tradition. Since you folks are the ones I interact with most regularly, I thought I'd let you know.
Now that is one excellent name!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bites When Provoked
Now that is one excellent name!
Thanks, Bites!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:39 AM

Wednesday is Lost and Alias night for me, so I only got on long enough to see some of the changes.

Most of the new costume elements are pretty *meh* to me, since I'm not an anime fan. (I know those styles didn't originate with anime, but this is a clear effort to cater to that fanbase). The motorcycle jacket and the open vests for the women do have possibilities; I might make use of those at some point.

I'm not crazy about the body shape sliders, because for me at least it multiplies the chances that I'm going to screw something up. I can't tell you how anal I am or how many characters I've deleted and started from scratch because one tiny detail was "off". Now, if the waist isn't exactly the right width or the legs are a smidge too long, it will bug me to no end. What can I say, I'm neurotic and that kind of thing diminishes my enjoyment of a character. Furthermore, this means we're going to be seeing a lot more ridiculous-looking characters out there.

A while back I emailed my brother pictures of some of my characters, and he remarked about the size of the women's breasts and asked if they were adjustable. I'll have to tell him that now you can indeed "inflate" the boobs. The twelve-year-old boy in me found that hilarious. I think we'll be seeing very few female characters with anything less than the "max" bra size from now on.

I LOVE the fact that in "seek team" mode you can now specify exactly what you're looking for.

I haven't seen the arena. Has anybody had a chance to check it out? My main question is, if you're defeated do you get debt? If so, I'm even less inclined to participate, and I'm not that interested in the first place. My fear is that so many people will be doing the PvP thing that it'll be difficult to get anybody to do missions. Where is the arena, anyway?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 AM

I popped on with each alt to get my Celebrant badge. Then I spent an hour or so poring over the new costume options (just the male ones, didn't have enough time for Huge or Female).

The new configurable robe and jacket are awesome. I've long wanted to be able to make some tweaks to the standard 'suit jacket' - for Shadow Stranger - and now I can. They added dress pants; half-helmets; at least one new hat. I think some of the belt options are new, and not just the martial arts ones.

There weren't, as far as I could tell, any new 'blend patterns' for the costume colors, which disappoints me. I'd like to see an asymmetrical diagonal shoulder-to-waist color division, at some point.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 AM

One thing I'm still upset about (and i doubt it will ever be added

No trenchcoat. I know that if they added it, 75% of all male heroes will suddenly become "dark, brooding, and mysterious" as they don their black leather trenchcoats, but I just want a normal one! Light tan! And a fedora and business suit! I have those, yes, but without the trenchcoat, the while look is lost.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:15 AM

They've mentioned trenchcoats on the boards as something they're looking into, but I wouldn't look for them before I5 or I6.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My fear is that so many people will be doing the PvP thing that it'll be difficult to get anybody to do missions. Where is the arena, anyway?
There are three arenas: Galaxy, Talos, and Peregrine.

I think for the next week, there will be very few people looking for teams. Just the ones who have virtually no interested in PvP, such as myself. More people will start looking for ordinary teams again once the newness wears off.

There's a bug in Icon's costume slots. I changed GreenMonster's look so he doesn't go all Quasimodo when he runs, then wanted to give him his first alternate costume but the body sliders were way off--even the ones for his first slot. I'm waiting for the Devs to fix this before trying a second costume again; hopefully, they'll also credit the 27K I wasted after his initial body adjustment.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher
There are three arenas: Galaxy, Talos, and Peregrine.

I think for the next week, there will be very few people looking for teams. Just the ones who have virtually no interested in PvP, such as myself. More people will start looking for ordinary teams again once the newness wears off.
Well, you and I can certainly team up. We High Society types have to stick together. And as you know, I have no shortage of characters in Champion, so whatever archetype and level you need is at your disposal.

I think I know what you mean about the Quasimodo running. My "huge" style tanker, Shatterstrike, looks like an utter dufus when he runs. Sorta spoils his badass image.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I know what you mean about the Quasimodo running. My "huge" style tanker, Shatterstrike, looks like an utter dufus when he runs. Sorta spoils his badass image.
What I did was give GM the smallest chest available, which took away the hunchback look almost completely. Funny how "chest" on a huge body type affects the back as well.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
A while back I emailed my brother pictures of some of my characters, and he remarked about the size of the women's breasts and asked if they were adjustable. I'll have to tell him that now you can indeed "inflate" the boobs. The twelve-year-old boy in me found that hilarious. I think we'll be seeing very few female characters with anything less than the "max" bra size from now on.
I'm going in and adjusting nearly everyones cup size down. Dangerosa (my blaster) in particular looks like she's due for breast reduction surgery - those things look painful and are going to cause her lower back problems later in life. Kindele (who I never play) and Cindy Lou were both designed with being "kids" in mind - both need appropiate chests.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Dangerosa, I have one female character, so I guess I'm going to have to take up the slack. Can-Utility is going to get black eyes running at super speed.

Is there an adjustment slider for men's...codpieces? I want equal representation.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Is jiggle coming in I4?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa
Is jiggle coming in I4?
My SO recently started playing World of Warcraft. The other day he had just slain some creature or other when a female character who was standing there watching him jumped up and down, I guess in a sort of cheer...and I swear it looked like her boobs bounced up and down.
I said, "Did...did she just shake her boobs at you?" He said, "I think she did..."

Any WoW players here who can tell me whether that's possible?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa
I'm going in and adjusting nearly everyones cup size down. Dangerosa (my blaster) in particular looks like she's due for breast reduction surgery - those things look painful and are going to cause her lower back problems later in life. Kindele (who I never play) and Cindy Lou were both designed with being "kids" in mind - both need appropiate chests.
I intend to adjust Naramie down as well. Part of her backstory involves being a gymnast. Even with the build shoved all the way over to "athletic", she doesn't look right for a gymnast. I also need to tweak Balanced's face and build. He/they should look more like a young teen.

I've run into a couple of annoying bugs--the lab door problem, and a funky mapping issue--but nothing game-breaking yet. I'm not happy about the Cloak of Fear changes going live, but I'm willing to wait and see. I have no interest in the Arena; everyone who wants to participate in the lag-fest can go ahead. I'll just steer around them. Once things have settled down, they may be useful for detailed testing on some powers, I suppose.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance
Once things have settled down, they may be useful for detailed testing on some powers, I suppose.
Well, remember that several powers are changed for PvP.

I have notived a graphics glitch on my char. When I jump and land, it basically looks like my sock is jutting out from my pants. A strip of black can be seen, and my guess is that the combo of pants/shoes I have might be doing it.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:31 AM

For what it's worth, I've started playing again. I created a character on Virtue (The Baristae, who fires steaming hot bolts of Italian coffee at her foes!) and joined the Cecil supergroup.

There's a lot of stuff that's completely incomprehensible to me, now. Apparently in global chat I still have my first character's name - can that be changed?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lno
Apparently in global chat I still have my first character's name - can that be changed?
Yes it can, but offhand I don't remember how. I'm sure someone will be along any minute to tell you. I do know that you can only change it once, so choose carefully.

One really annoying bug I experienced last night was my "friends" window kept compressing itself into odd shapes/sizes, and I couldn't open it up enough to read it. Either that or it would "merge" with the chat window.

I could not find a team last night, and I mean At. All. Lute Skywatcher thinks the interest in the arena will die down soon, but I'm not so optimistic. I think there's a significant contingent of kids out there who think PvP is "kewl," and they'd rather do that than run missions and do the stuff that the heroes are, you know, supposed to be doing.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 AM

But you don't level up doing PvP. Brilliant, that.

In other news, I made a rare Arena appearance last night. 4V4 that rapidly became a 4V2 as the Khelds ducked out. Won it. Wandered out, ran into SnipeFu, who's a semi-friend, voted most helpful on the boards, and a Master Blaster.

Master Blaster does _not_ run bartertown. La Pucelle does. Took two deaths on the chin, to watch him play. Then kicked things into high gear and started fighting. Final score, I beat him, 4 to 3.

I'm still competitive. It's a good thing.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lno
There's a lot of stuff that's completely incomprehensible to me, now. Apparently in global chat I still have my first character's name - can that be changed?
I bet that's you handle on the official boards, too. On your pull down menu select "Menu/Chat Handle". Like the SDMB, you are allowed one change of handle.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 AM

Quote:
You've had the in-game explanation. Here's the real reason.

The game's creators wanted to come out with a version of the game to be marketed in Europe. The 5th Column were unmistakably Nazis. This wouldn't have gone over well overseas, so they replaced them with the genericly evil Council.
Closed Thread