Old 02-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The prevailing theory is that he did something to open his window to the NFL either by direct NFL stuff or AAF stuff and that violated his contract.

I've not heard it was drug/alcohol/party related
Honestly if thatís true Iím impressed. Given his history a contract violation leading to expulsion shows growth. He also apparently doesnít drink anymore. Iím kind of rooting for him. Assuming itís not another domestic violence issue.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
The AAF is really for guys who are hoping to get noticed by NFL scouts.
At least at this point that's not who's playing in the AAF. 81 percent of AAF players have been under contract to NFL teams
Quote:
According to the AAF, 81 percent of the players on the leagueís eight teams have been under contract to NFL teams. Of course, that doesnít mean theyíve played in NFL regular-season games; but they at least have worn an NFL helmet and participated in NFL practices and, for many of them, at least played in preseason games.
The league skews towards those looking for a second chance. It's mostly not players the scouts ignored.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Reading between the lines of what the CFL commissioner and the Montreal GM said, I think Manziel was drinking or something.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
The league skews towards those looking for a second chance. It's mostly not players the scouts ignored.
I don't think we disagree. Yes, the teams that previously cut these guys already know them and mostly won't re-sign them. But their scouts are certainly looking for other guys who could maybe help on the scout team or kickoff coverage or something. This league is sort of like the Combine in that regard - which reminds me, they're missing something by playing when the Combine is going on, taking scouts away from their games.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 AM

Which is made somewhat harder, as the AAF doesn't have kickoffs to cover.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Reading between the lines of what the CFL commissioner and the Montreal GM said, I think Manziel was drinking or something.
Latest report is that he was booted for missing mandatory meetings (doctor appointments and therapy). It sounds like this was a "get out of contract free" card that he chose to play.

He has already been invited to workouts with the AAF.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 AM

Filed under: We can't have nice things....

AAF moved/negotiated next week's Orlando/Birmingham game to TBS next week because they're arguably the two best teams in the league and would be a match-up of undefeateds.

....Then the Iron proceed to lose

They're still the two best teams, but you can't market it as a battle of the unbeatens anymore.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Manziel has, in fact, signed with the AAF, and he's been assigned to the Memphis Express, after the San Antonio Commanders (who would have had rights to him, since he played at Texas A&M) gave up his rights.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/16/jo...emphis-express

That said, when I look at SI.com and ESPN.com, other than the Manziel story, I'm not seeing any coverage at all of the AAF. I suppose that I'm not surprised -- as I sort-of predicted earlier in the thread, we're now in mid-March, and other sports news (NCAA basketball tournament, NFL free agency and the upcoming draft) have taken a lot of the oxygen out of the room.

For those of you living in AAF cities -- are the teams still getting signfiicant local coverage?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Other than seeing Facebook ads for ticket deals (Buy 2 get 2 free all in a row) I haven't seen all that particularly much. Which is a bit of a shame given that we're the best team in the league and Orlando is a bit starved for winning sports.

Although I should say, as a caveat, that they could be getting news local news coverage. Since I got the SirusXM I've abandoned ESPN radio and I haven't watched a newscast since, oh, the 90s. They could be getting some media coverage from that but I wouldn't know.

I've loved watching the games and I routinely tune into the games that DON'T feature Orlando. It's too bad the season will die at the end of this year.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Although I should say, as a caveat, that they could be getting news local news coverage. Since I got the SirusXM I've abandoned ESPN radio and I haven't watched a newscast since, oh, the 90s. They could be getting some media coverage from that but I wouldn't know.
I was curious, so I went to the Orlando Sentinel's sports page. Now, granted, the last Apollos game is now 48 hours ago, but the only Apollos story on their entire page is a photo gallery link (to photos from Saturday's game) fairly far down on the page. They do have a link to Apollos news on the black banner at the top of the Sports page, but it's buried in the "More" dropdown menu. Following that link, there's a pretty long story about Saturday's game (which I imagine did show up on the main sports page yesterday).
Old 03-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Ha.

Sign of the times that I basically forgot the Sentinel existed.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Sign of the times that I basically forgot the Sentinel existed.
It's OK, it looks like the Sentinel has come close to forgetting that the AAF exists.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I also went over to AL.com (the news website for the media company which publishes the Birmingham News and the Huntsville Times). Their sports page is filled with stuff about Auburn's and Alabama's spring football practices, NCAA basketball, and local high school sports. There's one Iron story, about yesterday's game, which is pretty much buried by comparison. The menu for the sports page has lots of links to various teams and sports, including specific links for four Alabama-based minor-league baseball teams, but no link for the Iron.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-18-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:27 PM

AAF in danger of folding

I mean, we all knew it would happen...but man this makes me mad. I genuinely enjoy watching the games even outside of my hometown team.

Sigh...
Old 03-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

And, interestingly, they're laying the issue at the feet of the NFLPA, which is apparently refusing to let players who have NFL contracts from playing in the AAF.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
And, interestingly, they're laying the issue at the feet of the NFLPA, which is apparently refusing to let players who have NFL contracts from playing in the AAF.
Which I think is code for "The NFL won't give us money to make the league what we intend for it to be".

AAF needs money that's for sure and the NFL can give it to them, as well as players, and the league would be fine...but they can't ask for money.

Frankly, they don't need the players because they have them even without the help of practice squadders.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Which I think is code for "The NFL won't give us money to make the league what we intend for it to be".

AAF needs money that's for sure and the NFL can give it to them, as well as players, and the league would be fine...but they can't ask for money.

Frankly, they don't need the players because they have them even without the help of practice squadders.
I kind of had the impression that they were basically launching the season with the intent of "proving" to the NFL that they could be a viable development league for them, and then hoping the NFL would buy them out, or subsidize them.

I mean, nobody seriously expected the AAF to be an actual profit-making concern, did they?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:06 PM

I've seen a little bit of this league, and I'm not impressed. The play looks to be slightly below the level of big time college ball, and the empty stadiums just don't generate much excitement.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's code for "We can't afford to pay our own players."
Old 03-27-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I mean, nobody seriously expected the AAF to be an actual profit-making concern, did they?
They were expecting the profit to come from their fantasy football app that is constantly advertised during their gamesí commercial breaks.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, Mrs. Cups and I attended the Orlando/Atlanta game and it was fun as hell. It always helps when your team beats the other by 40 points....
That is the only time a team has scored 40 points. Is there a shortened clock (relative to the NFL) or some other tangible reason for that?
Old 03-28-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
That is the only time a team has scored 40 points. Is there a shortened clock (relative to the NFL) or some other tangible reason for that?
Probably just comes down to parity in the league. It's relatively rare when an NFL team scores 40 because they're going against defenses equivalent to their offenses. AAF talent isn't the same as NFL, but they're still on the same level as talent.

Orlando has the best offense in the league by far and Atlanta is pretty bad. So it took less time for the good team to gel then it did for the bad team to. This was also week one, teams have more or less settled into themselves since then.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:08 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
The total length of the game (four 15-minute quarters) is the same, but there are fewer stoppages of play in the AAF (i.e., no "TV timeouts"). In theory, that might lead to fewer total plays per game. But, on the other hand, the AAF play clock is 35 seconds (shorter than the NFL's 40 second play clock), which would, theoretically, lead to a few *more* plays per game. Both of those changes were made to keep the pace of play up, as well as shorten the effective overall length of the game, to enhance the viewer experience.

In other words: the timing rules are a little different, but I'm not sure that they're different enough to suggest that there's substantially fewer plays being played (and, thus, that being the reason for fewer points being scored).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-28-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The total length of the game (four 15-minute quarters) is the same, but there are fewer stoppages of play in the AAF (i.e., no "TV timeouts"). In theory, that might lead to fewer total plays per game. But, on the other hand, the AAF play clock is 35 seconds (shorter than the NFL's 40 second play clock), which would, theoretically, lead to a few *more* plays per game. Both of those changes were made to keep the pace of play up, as well as shorten the effective overall length of the game, to enhance the viewer experience.

In other words: the timing rules are a little different, but I'm not sure that they're different enough to suggest that there's substantially fewer plays being played (and, thus, that being the reason for fewer points being scored).
Sure, but those are not substantially different from a non-televised college game, and those routinely are high scoring affairs.

I'm guessing the parity explanation is the right one.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:38 AM

I heard the majority owner say the AAF might fold soon.

Do you think the AAF will play for a second season next year, or is the league doomed?
Old 03-30-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
I heard the majority owner say the AAF might fold soon.

Do you think the AAF will play for a second season next year, or is the league doomed?
Youíre a bit late, see post #114 above.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
And here's a pretty good thumbnail analysis of why it probably would never have made it to a second season.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:39 PM

Will the AAF at least be able to finish its season?

Last edited by CastletonSnob; 03-31-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:46 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Will the AAF at least be able to finish its season?
It's a fair question. It sounds like some of the teams are still drawing OK -- San Antonio apparently had 30,000 attendees the other night. On the other hand, at this moment, the San Diego / Salt Lake game is on (from last night, I presume), and Salt Lake's stadium looks pretty empty, though one can hear crowd noise on the broadcast.

They have two more weeks left in the season, then two weeks of postseason. All three of their postseason games are scheduled to be on live TV (TNT and CBS); if they fold before then, I would not be surprised if the league would be out the money they'd get from those networks (or, be liable for repaying it, if they've already received money). For that reason alone, I wouldn't be surprised if they very much want to at least play out the string this season.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

It looks like, in the last post, I guessed wrong.

This article on SI.com indicates that the AAF is meeting via conference call today (right now, in fact), and the plan appears to be that they are going to suspend operations, effective immediately. That doesn't necessarily mean that the league is folding, but it does seem likely.

The article also indicates that SI writer Albert Breer has noted that there are perceptions among league officials that Tom Dundon, the investor which brought in $250 million after the league's first week, and became the league's majority owner, "bought a bought a stake in the league for the gambling app being developed with one source saying, 'Dundon got the technology he wanted and he's now minus one rather large headache.'"

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-02-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM

Did the league launch too early, or was it always doomed to fail?
Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM

It was always doomed to fail.

I couldn't tell you why, but for some reason, football is a sport that just cannot exist outside of the NFL and college. The AFL has been making a go of it for a good 20+ years, but even they're in a completely separate category.

Oh well...twas fun while it lasted
Old 04-02-2019, 12:41 PM

I think the timing of their season is totally wrong. We are about to have the NBA and NHL playoffs, and baseball is starting, so even the have-nots haven't had time to get disgusted, lose hope, and look for something else to watch.

I think their season should have been July and August. Baseball is the only other sport going, and 3/4 of the teams are pretty much out of it by the All Star break.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Is the AAF a bigger failure than the XFL? At least the XFL played its full season.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
The AFL has been making a go of it for a good 20+ years, but even they're in a completely separate category.
And even the AFL (assuming you're referring to the Arena Football League) isn't in great shape. The AFL had 19 teams in 2007, went bankrupt in 2010, and was down to just 4 active teams in 2018, all in the Northeast. They've announced that there will be two new teams for 2019, so there's that, at least.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Is the AAF a bigger failure than the XFL? At least the XFL played its full season.
I'm not sure that being able to finish their one season made the XFL any less of a failure. WWF and NBC both lost boatloads of money on it, and, as i remember it, the XFL had substantially higher ambitions than the AAF did.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that being able to finish their one season made the XFL any less of a failure. WWF and NBC both lost boatloads of money on it, and, as i remember it, the XFL had substantially higher ambitions than the AAF did.
From what I've read, the XFL had HUGE ratings for its opening game, then the ratings plummeted afterward. Meanwhile, the AAF was doing decently ratings-wise.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
McMahon may have stubbornly chosen to lose more money before facing reality. Maybe that makes the XFL the bigger loser. He's gonna do it again, too.

The Orlando Apollos had the best season, 2 more wins than anyone else in the standings. We're the champs! Yippee!

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 04-02-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
The article also indicates that SI writer Albert Breer has noted that there are perceptions among league officials that Tom Dundon, the investor which brought in $250 million after the league's first week, and became the league's majority owner, "bought a bought a stake in the league for the gambling app being developed with one source saying, 'Dundon got the technology he wanted and he's now minus one rather large headache.'"
Itís like I said earlier, this whole thing was to sell an app.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Itís like I said earlier, this whole thing was to sell an app.
Indeed. Now, can you focus your crystal ball on what's gonna happen with Brexit?
Old 04-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
And even the AFL (assuming you're referring to the Arena Football League) isn't in great shape. The AFL had 19 teams in 2007, went bankrupt in 2010, and was down to just 4 active teams in 2018, all in the Northeast. They've announced that there will be two new teams for 2019, so there's that, at least.
Also true. When the Predators randomly shut their operations down it came out that the AFL was failing and in the process was screwing over their teams for this, that and the other thing.

Ironically enough the Preds are back now in another random-ass football league.

An announcement on the AFL is supposed to be made today at 5 where it's assumed they're going to announce the league is folding. Spurrier is apparently pretty mad about it, telling the Orlando Sentinel they were promised the league could run for three years without making money.

Soooo I guess that makes the Apollos the default champs? Woo hoo! Champs baby!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Indeed. Now, can you focus your crystal ball on what's gonna happen with Brexit?
Yes... Hmm, I see trouble ahead.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Yes... Hmm, I see trouble ahead.
ďAsk again later?Ē
Old 04-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

And down goes the league.

Pardon me, "alliance."

AAF suspends operations; Polian 'disappointed'

AAF suspends football operations with two weeks left in regular season

Last edited by Kent Clark; 04-02-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I think the timing of their season is totally wrong. We are about to have the NBA and NHL playoffs, and baseball is starting, so even the have-nots haven't had time to get disgusted, lose hope, and look for something else to watch.

I think their season should have been July and August. Baseball is the only other sport going, and 3/4 of the teams are pretty much out of it by the All Star break.
Beyond that, doing that, they could have cooperated with the NFL, if they were willing, to have had the championship game right before the NFL preseason starts, setting up the AAF as a sort of appetizer for the NFL season. Plus, it would have set up the players well to be in good shape prior to training camp (assuming they weren't too beat up).
Old 04-02-2019, 05:05 PM

From reading articles it looks like Bill Polian is not very happy with Tom Dundon.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Technically only next week is officially dead...there is still a chance for week 10.

That being said....there ain't gonna be a week 10
Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Is the AAF one of the biggest sports flops ever? Even the XFL finished its season.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is the AAF one of the biggest sports flops ever? Even the XFL finished its season.
The Professional Spring Football League folded in 1992 ten days before the season started.

The Global Hockey League in 1990 had franchises folding even before training camp, suspended operations, and was never heard from again.

In baseball, the Continental League vanished when MLB expanded in 1961-1962.

I'll give the AAF credit for getting off the ground, even if it was like a jet with three out of four engines out and the other one sputtering.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 PM

I saw a report that the players had to pay for their travel home today. That's just cold.