Old 05-14-2019, 07:39 PM

I was checking out former Reds/Yankees outfielder Paul O'Neill's stats online when I noticed the Baseball Reference people had a little fun posting his info.

There's a section at the top of each ballplayer's listing to note his "handedness", i.e. Bats: Right /Throws: Right.

O'Neill's reads: Bats: Left/ Throws: Left/ Kicks: Left

Huh?

As soon as I started to click on the Kicks: Left I realized it was a link to one of my all-time favorite baseball plays, which I saw live back in 1989.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 AM

When O'Neill went into broadcasting, it seemed an unlikely choice. In his playing days he appeared to seethe with rage on a daily basis. To call him intense would have been ridiculous understatement.

I've gotten used to him calling games on YES and he's doing fine. He's an affable goober, really. Doesn't have an unkind word for anyone...well, maybe an umpire or two. He made boatloads of cash as a player so I doubt he needs this gig. He must love it because he's doing the full grind as opposed to someone like David Cone who will do 30 games a season.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:44 AM

Edwin Jackson is only 35 and is going to set the record for number of teams played for if he pitches for the Blue Jays. One more after that he'll have played for 15 of 30.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
When O'Neill went into broadcasting, it seemed an unlikely choice. In his playing days he appeared to seethe with rage on a daily basis. To call him intense would have been ridiculous understatement.

I've gotten used to him calling games on YES and he's doing fine. He's an affable goober, really. Doesn't have an unkind word for anyone...well, maybe an umpire or two. He made boatloads of cash as a player so I doubt he needs this gig. He must love it because he's doing the full grind as opposed to someone like David Cone who will do 30 games a season.
I love the 3 man booth of Kay, Cone & O'Neill. With Cone & O'Neill in the booth, Kay is much more restrained. David Cone is a baseball geek and expert on pitching and how to pitch. Paul O'Neill has good insights into hitting & fielding and is the old-hand off the field with lots of Yankees stories from his days. He takes the slot that Murcer & Scooter had previously.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Jays Fan

As a Blue Jays fan, I am wistful when fans of other teams talk about their broadcasters. Our color man is Pat Tabler, who never says anything insightful. That's not an exaggeration; I mean NEVER. "The blue jays could use a hit here" is his level of insight. Tabler played 1202 games over twelve years in the big leagues and was a good player, and yet he seems to have nothing at all to say about the sport.

Anyway, Vladdy Jr. hit his first two dingers last night so I'm happy. And hoo boy, they were monsters. Dinger 1 of hundreds went 439 to dead center, and Dinger 2 of hundreds went 451 to just a tiny left of center.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:

O'Neill's a cool dude. I've waited on him and his family a couple times in Cincinnati (obviously he played here and is originally from Columbus and grew up a Reds fan) at a restaurant I worked at long ago, and I have run into him and his sons at King's Island THREE times and I was flattered he remembered me.

He remembered me because the first time I had met him at the restaurant, while he was up front with me waiting for his family to get coats, etc I asked him what it was like to face Randy Johnson, something he'd done recently as this was about a year after he retired.

It was an interesting response due to the velocities Johnson would approach and due to his height and arm angle. He more or less told "It's weird: you can hear it, but you can't see it".
Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

The Ben Zobrist situation just seems to be getting weirder as the rumors fly around. The most common are that he doesn’t want to play with Addison Russell or that he’s getting a divorce.

I assume Maddon knows that for whatever reason, Zobrist’s heart isn’t in the game and this is giving him extended time away. Zobrist is at the end of his career and this may have very well been his last year anyway.

Edit: it’s a divorce
https://wgntv.com/2019/05/15/cubs-be...e-for-divorce/

Last edited by dalej42; 05-15-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:03 PM

He filed for divorce in Tennessee at the same time as she filed for divorce in Illinois. Illinois has no-fault divorce; Tennessee only allows it if there are no contested issues at all. This sounds like it could be messy.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM

lawmaker wants to change the rules for rain delays in regards to the fans https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BBnba9I#page=2

Now hws just a city councilman but he makes sense
Old 05-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Jays Fan

That does make sense.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The Ben Zobrist situation just seems to be getting weirder as the rumors fly around. The most common are that he doesnít want to play with Addison Russell or that heís getting a divorce.

I assume Maddon knows that for whatever reason, Zobristís heart isnít in the game and this is giving him extended time away. Zobrist is at the end of his career and this may have very well been his last year anyway.

Edit: itís a divorce
https://wgntv.com/2019/05/15/cubs-be...e-for-divorce/
I assume this means we'll no longer need to hear his wife's horrible version of "Benny and the Jets" every time he comes up to bat at Wrigley Field?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Apparently Bryce Harper is desperate:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/16/bryce-...ing-desperate/

Here's the thing; Harper is basically playing the same as he did last year. Like last year, his batting average is low but his on base percentage is good. He's both striking out and walking a huge amount. His slugging percentage is down a little, but within the range of normal chance, a difference of 2 home runs.

His numbers are right in line with last year. This is what the Phillies committed $330,000,000 to.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM

Andujar to have season-ending surgery. Yanks forced to continue playing Urshela at third, who can actually play the position at the professional level.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

Here's the thing; Harper is basically playing the same as he did last year. Like last year, his batting average is low but his on base percentage is good. He's both striking out and walking a huge amount. His slugging percentage is down a little, but within the range of normal chance, a difference of 2 home runs.

His numbers are right in line with last year. This is what the Phillies committed $330,000,000 to.
And with the occasional up or down year, I will not be surprised if this is Harper's career stat line. I think the first few year's were the aberration. I think we're now seeing the long-term Harper.

I do like his attitude more this year though, so there's that.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Oh boy, this is Orioles baseball.Ugliest play I've seen in a while. Anyone care to guess how that was scored? Hint: there were no errors committed.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 PM

Go to a baseball game and you'll see anything. Minor league game...sharp single into RF, runner takes his normal turn. RFer throws it to the Second Baseman, who throws it to the First Baseman, hoping that the runner had taken too sharp a turn. Nope. Runner has plenty of time to get back....except he didn't. He thought his foot was on the bag, but he actually was just standing there about three inches off the bag. Just standing there. Tagged out.

I had a perfect view cause I was about three rows back and almost perfectly in line with 1B. Hell I called him out before the ump did. The people in the stands on the opposite side of the field must have been confused as hell cause when you're at the game...nobody announces shit...you just have to figure out what the hell happened. Earlier i looked down for a second and our runner at 1B was just jogging to second. I *assume* a balk was called.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Oh boy, this is Orioles baseball.Ugliest play I've seen in a while. Anyone care to guess how that was scored? Hint: there were no errors committed.
Fielders choice.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Here's the thing; Harper is basically playing the same as he did last year. Like last year, his batting average is low but his on-base percentage is good. He's both striking out and walking a huge amount. His slugging percentage is down a little, but within the range of normal chance, a difference of 2 home runs.

how much of that is guaranteed and how much incentive based? cause if hes that average he aint going to see most of it ........
Old 05-17-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Go to a baseball game and you'll see anything. Minor league game...sharp single into RF, runner takes his normal turn. RFer throws it to the Second Baseman, who throws it to the First Baseman, hoping that the runner had taken too sharp a turn. Nope. Runner has plenty of time to get back....except he didn't. He thought his foot was on the bag, but he actually was just standing there about three inches off the bag. Just standing there. Tagged out.

I had a perfect view cause I was about three rows back and almost perfectly in line with 1B. Hell I called him out before the ump did. The people in the stands on the opposite side of the field must have been confused as hell cause when you're at the game...nobody announces shit...you just have to figure out what the hell happened. Earlier i looked down for a second and our runner at 1B was just jogging to second. I *assume* a balk was called.
that's why i always took a radio and tuned in to the game so i could get what i was missing .... that and a Dodger game with ut Vin Scully........
Old 05-17-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
how much of that is guaranteed and how much incentive based? cause if hes that average he aint going to see most of it ........
The entire $330 million is guaranteed. His arms could fall off tomorrow and all that cash would roll in regardless, year after year. He can also earn up to $800K each year in performance bonuses: $50K for a Gold Glove, $100K for World Series MVP, $500K for league MVP etc..
Old 05-17-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Fielders choice.
Boneheaded play by 2B. You've got the runner at first out, just tag him. The throw to 1st was stupid. Then the throw home had no chance. I think if the first baseman then tried again for the runner between first and second and gotten him out, they would have called him safe due to obstruction on the part of the 2B. Brain farts happen even at the MLB level.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Fielders choice.
Yes and 2 RBIs for Kipnis. Awful play with bases loaded.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Wow, that was bad. Best choice: throw to shortstop for a 4-6-3 double play. Second best choice: freeze the runner, then throw quickly to first for a 4-3-6 double play--you still get the double play, but a run scores. And as a crowning little bit of insanity, if the catcher had kept his foot on the plate, they still might have gotten a force out--since the batter was safe at first, the force is still on. But the catcher is standing three feet in front of the plate.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
Wow, that was bad. Best choice: throw to shortstop for a 4-6-3 double play. Second best choice: freeze the runner, then throw quickly to first for a 4-3-6 double play--you still get the double play, but a run scores. And as a crowning little bit of insanity, if the catcher had kept his foot on the plate, they still might have gotten a force out--since the batter was safe at first, the force is still on. But the catcher is standing three feet in front of the plate.
With respect, the best choice was to throw home for the force-out, then have the catcher throw to first for 4-2-3 DP.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
... And as a crowning little bit of insanity, if the catcher had kept his foot on the plate, they still might have gotten a force out--since the batter was safe at first, the force is still on. But the catcher is standing three feet in front of the plate.
I thought that at first, too, but no the runner from 3rd had already scored. That was the 2nd run to score from 2nd base. So, not a force out.
ETA: So the true crowing bit of insanity is that a runner scored from 2nd on a ball that never left the infield and no errors were committed.

Last edited by Barkis is Willin'; 05-17-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:29 PM

Screw the Mets. They lost last night to the Marlins with DeGrom pitching (6 runs to the Marlins!), and are about to lose again. 1 hit through 7, I have absolutley no confidence they will come back. Why is Todd Frazier still in the lineup? And a dozen other things. They are a clown car, year after year.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
The entire $330 million is guaranteed. His arms could fall off tomorrow and all that cash would roll in regardless, year after year. He can also earn up to $800K each year in performance bonuses: $50K for a Gold Glove, $100K for World Series MVP, $500K for league MVP etc..
now why can't I be mediocre enough in sports to get a contract like that ... although i guess he had that one great year ....
Old 05-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
now why can't I be mediocre enough in sports to get a contract like that ... although i guess he had that one great year ....
To be fair, one absurdly good season, and three other pretty good seasons -- but "pretty good seasons" shouldn't get anyone that kind of contract.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:10 PM

the devil rays are pretty good this year but does anyone give a rats ass of a tinker's damn ? probably not .... they just get pissed because their home town team lost ....
Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Apparently you didn't care enough to remember they haven't been called "Devil Rays" for over ten years.

It's a shame the team is a commercial failure. Bad stadium, bad location.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:37 AM

Didn't they recently break out the ol' Devil Rays jerseys for a game?

How 'bout the Mariners? Now sitting in last place after a hot start of 13-2.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, Robinson Cano is Public Enemy #1 in Queens for two recent bizarre displays of lack-of-hustle, and apparently the entire borough wants Mickey Callaway sent out of town on a rail. They were swept by the Marlins this weekend, a sporting accomplishment roughly equivalent to Lennox Lewis being knocked out by Lisa Loeb.

There's a reason "Mets" sounds a lot like "Mess."

Last edited by RickJay; 05-19-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 PM

If my team traded for a 36 year-old coming off a PED suspension, taking on the remaining five years of his contract, I would think they were completely nuts. I have no idea if Callaway is a good manager, but the dysfunction in Flushing starts with the Wilpons and infects the entire organization. For the sake of the fans I hope they sell the team.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
If my team traded for a 36 year-old coming off a PED suspension, taking on the remaining five years of his contract, I would think they were completely nuts. I have no idea if Callaway is a good manager, but the dysfunction in Flushing starts with the Wilpons and infects the entire organization. For the sake of the fans I hope they sell the team.
I always group the Jets and the Mets together in my head, and not just because of the rhyming names. It's always seemed that the teams had more of a blue-collar fan base, compared to the Giants and Yankees, and both of them have seemed to often suffer fro strange or incompetent management.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:51 PM

Jets/Mets have always been linked and mostly shared a fan base. They were both seen as upstart newcomers for many years after their founding, and, of course, they both played at Shea Stadium for decades.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I always group the Jets and the Mets together in my head, and not just because of the rhyming names. It's always seemed that the teams had more of a blue-collar fan base, compared to the Giants and Yankees, and both of them have seemed to often suffer fro strange or incompetent management.
Both fan bases are strongest in Queens & Long Island, Brooklyn is roughly split and the rest of the NY metro area is Yankees/Giants. Though in recent years the Yanks passed the Mets for fan in every county & borough apparently. Yanks actually have more blue-collar fans and far more rich fans at the same time.

Jets ownership was OK but unsuccessful under Hess, Mets suffer from the Wilpon's but Doubleday was a pretty good owner. Without question though the Dolan's are the worst owners (Knicks & Rangers) in the area and maybe in all of sports.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Can't speak for the Jets as I don't know anything to speak of about football, but in my part of NY State (a few counties north of the Bronx) pretty much all the blue-collar white guys you'll meet are Yankees fans. My auto mechanic is a Yankee fan, the guy who cuts my hair is a HUGE Yankees fan, the guy who repaired my drywall is a Yankees fan. Drive past a construction site or something and there'll be lots more Yankees stickers and such than Mets. --Now, the Yankees rule in every demographic around here, so there's that. But it seems especially true among blue-collar guys. Just my 2c.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

After a great 8th inning comeback to take the lead, the Cubs 'pen *again* gives up late scores to lose the game (in extra innings, but whatever).

On the better news side, Darvish looked...decent up until the sixth. Still looking for that first Wrigley win though.

Hopefully this is just a little May slump that they can come out of, but that bullpen is going to keep things interesting all year long. Any late trades need to focused on shoring up the reliever corps (and get a damn REAL closer).

Oh, and DAMN, Harper has an absolute cannon of an arm, doesn't he?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:00 PM

Interesting article on the Giants Dynasty from 538

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...was-a-dynasty/ Maybe next year...(
nah).
Old 05-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Of course the Jays decided the one day Vladdy Jr., the only player on the team really worth paying to see, should sit was Victoria Day, a national holiday, after a 25-day stretch in which he got six days of rest.

Of course it was the one game I could go to. Of course they claim this was planned way in advance but didn't mention it until game time. Of course the manager and GM are pointing fingers at each other like a couple of bush leaguers. Of course at the same time they were resting the young star, and injury forced anotehr player out of the lineup and instead of reinserting Guerrero, they had the starting catcher DH, thereby taking away his rest day.

Of course as the game started, the team proudly announced to the angry fans that a Blue Jay had been named AL player of the week - Vladimir Guerrero Jr.! Who is celebrating it on the bench!

What horseshit. They've admitted it was stupid, which doesn't pay me back. Naturally they got absolutely destroyed. Of course the roof is broken and after a month they still haven't fixed it, and they can't open it, making it grey and dreary.

What a shit experience. We left after six innings. I won't be back this year.

Last edited by RickJay; 05-21-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I won't be back this year.
Hey, even though Vlad Jr. was on the bench, you still got to see the 2019 AL Rookie of the Year! Talking about Michael Chavis, of course.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:16 PM

So what happened between Adam Eaton and Todd Frazier when they were both White Sox? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:14 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
So what happened between Adam Eaton and Todd Frazier when they were both White Sox? Inquiring minds want to know.
Another guy with the White Sox at that time, Adam LaRoche, had gotten permission from the team to have his teenaged son in the clubhouse. If memory serves, LaRoche pushed the envelope on that, to the point where his son was there all the time, and apparently some players complained. The Sox asked LaRoche to dial back how often his son was in the clubhouse, which led to LaRoche quitting the Sox (and retiring from baseball entirely).

Eaton liked LaRoche, felt that the team had lost a leader over the incident, and apparently tried to step in and fill that role. Frazier apparently wasn't impressed by Eaton, and his attempts at leadership.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/21/todd-f...ld-girlfriend/
Old 05-21-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

So, the London Red Sox/Yankees games will be played on artificial turf! Really? They’ve had over a year to figure this out and now their first glimpse of baseball will look like field hockey. Why not send the San Diego chicken and bullpen carts for that true 1970’s experience?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
So, the London Red Sox/Yankees games will be played on artificial turf! Really? Theyíve had over a year to figure this out and now their first glimpse of baseball will look like field hockey. Why not send the San Diego chicken and bullpen carts for that true 1970ís experience?
Reports of doubleknit uniforms with pullover tops and Morganna the Kissing Bandit have not yet been confirmed.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Another guy with the White Sox at that time, Adam LaRoche, had gotten permission from the team to have his teenaged son in the clubhouse. If memory serves, LaRoche pushed the envelope on that, to the point where his son was there all the time, and apparently some players complained. The Sox asked LaRoche to dial back how often his son was in the clubhouse, which led to LaRoche quitting the Sox (and retiring from baseball entirely).

Eaton liked LaRoche, felt that the team had lost a leader over the incident, and apparently tried to step in and fill that role. Frazier apparently wasn't impressed by Eaton, and his attempts at leadership.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/21/todd-f...ld-girlfriend/
Thanks for the info. Eaton and Frazier were chatting amicably on the field before tonight's game, so I guess they've patched it up.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, the London Red Sox/Yankees games will be played on artificial turf! Really?
Better than that, the turf will be laid on top of gravel, on top of a tarp, protecting the soccer field, which is ... grass.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 AM

What's the point of playing baseball in London anyway? The Brits aren't going to suddenly embrace the sport. They barely tolerate cricket.

These games should be played in baseball crazy Havana or Santo Domingo.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Jays Fan

What's the point of playing a game somewhere you can't make baseball any more popular?

Of course it's not going to become the national pastime of the UK, but a rich country of sixty-five million people is fertile ground for making a little extra dough even if you only capture a small fraction of one percent of people.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 AM

Eh, games in Monterrey, Mexico and Japan make sense to me. I'd rather see games in Latin American countries that share our love for the sport but where most people never get a chance to see the top league live.

ETA: And by all means play exhibition games in Europe or wherever else...during spring training.

Last edited by Blank Slate; 05-22-2019 at 09:06 AM.