Old 12-21-2019, 09:10 PM

I pit New Millford, New Jersey

I got a ticket, for parking my car on a side road near my apartment. The apartment complex where I live does not have enough parking space for people like me, I work from 1-9 pm. By the time I get home, all spaces in the lot are taken. So I park on the street. But there is a rule, in New Millford New Jersey, that you can't park your car on the street between the hours of 2 am to 5 am, in the fall and winter months. Why? Because it MIGHT snow. The law is not that you cannot park there WHEN it is snowing. BUT, there is an exception. If you go online, you can register your car for the night and you don't get a ticket. What the hell kind of logic is this?

I forgot to go online one night and register. So I got a ticket. I forgot to pay it, get a notice in the mail that if I don't pay it within 15 days of the notice my driving privleges will be suspended. For one fucking parking ticket? I have tried 3 times to go online and pay it, only to get this message

- We are performing system maintenance and the online payment is not available. Please try again later.

Website only available during certain hours. 9-5 hours. What fucking website is not available all day long?
Old 12-21-2019, 09:27 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

You don't have a parking space as part of your rent?
Old 12-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
You don't have a parking space as part of your rent?
$100 extra a month for a garage, 50 yards or more from my apartment. Otherwise park where you can find a space. Not worth it. Otherwise, t's a great apartment in a great location.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Obviously you should learn from the locals and park where nobody can see or hear you. You can always tell a New Millford man.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Obviously you should learn from the locals and park where nobody can see or hear you. You can always tell a New Millford man.
Shame. You shall write "I will not desecrate Arrested Development by shoehorning their lines into poorly thought out quips." one hundred times. Without copy-paste.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 12-21-2019 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Changed a nut
Old 12-22-2019, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Poorly thought out? You wound me, sir, but I can maintain a stiff upper lip and suck it up as well as any man.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

The OP is incorrect about the law. Overnight parking is prohibited on all streets, at all times of year, except for Saturday Sunday and Holidays. It has nothing to do with snow.

It has everything to do with not wanting the streets to be used for car storage. The town is specifically structuring its laws to require off street storage for vehicles. You are trying to make nightly street parking work in a place where they don't really want it to work. The town government wants you to make off street parking arrangements, like having your own garage or assigned parking space.

Don't be surprised if they change the overnight parking request system to be even less favorable than it already is. My town now charges for the overnight passes.

From the New Milford Municipal Court
Quote:
Parking is prohibited on all borough streets between the hours of 2am -5am except on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Parking is prohibited at ALL TIMES when streets are snow covered. Please contact the court for more details.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:36 AM

wow if they tried that here city hall would be in flames....
Old 12-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

It's exactly like that in my previous town here in suburban Boston. It's been like that for decades, and you deal with it.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
$100 extra a month for a garage, 50 yards or more from my apartment. Otherwise park where you can find a space. Not worth it. Otherwise, t's a great apartment in a great location.
It seems to me that the $100 you save every month on parking would easily offset one or more parking tickets.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
The OP is incorrect about the law. Overnight parking is prohibited on all streets, at all times of year, except for Saturday Sunday and Holidays. It has nothing to do with snow.

It has everything to do with not wanting the streets to be used for car storage. The town is specifically structuring its laws to require off street storage for vehicles. You are trying to make nightly street parking work in a place where they don't really want it to work. The town government wants you to make off street parking arrangements, like having your own garage or assigned parking space.

Don't be surprised if they change the overnight parking request system to be even less favorable than it already is. My town now charges for the overnight passes.

I can understand this ( although I don't live in a place with this type of rule). But what I don't understand is having this rule without a corresponding requirement that the OP's building must have an off-street space for each apartment - unless the issue is that the OPs building doesn't have any rules and some apartments are using two or two spaces.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Shame. You shall write "I will not desecrate Arrested Development by shoehorning their lines into poorly thought out quips." one hundred times. Without copy-paste.

I'm guessing it either was that or, "women go Crazy for a 'Millford Man...!" complete with a ZZ Top riff.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post

Sounds like a good reason to force apartment buildings to provide enough off-street parking for tenants instead of punishing the tenants because there's not enough off-street parking available.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Sounds like a good reason to force apartment buildings to provide enough off-street parking for tenants instead of punishing the tenants because there's not enough off-street parking available.
Which group do you believe gives more $$$ to local elected officials?