Old 12-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

The Elder Wand(s) of Tennis

The Elder Wand is a wand in Harry Potter than only can be transferred through the defeat of the current owner. Through history, it apparently has changed hands many times.

On the Tennis subreddit, an "elder wand of tennis" was come up with and tracked as it was defeated and its ownership transferred. Actually, it has been done twice.

First, we have the Rod Laver Elder Wand, which began when he won his Grand Slam year in 1969.

Then, it was decided that the Nadal-Federer championship at Wimbledon in 2008 was another watershed moment and it has been tracked since Nadal beat Federer in that match.

Nerds(like me) can follow its transfer of ownership over 50 years from Rod Laver or for 11 years with Federer/Nadal.

It's updated pretty regularly and is a really interesting read if you like Harry Potter and tennis.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
The Elder Wand is a wand in Harry Potter than only can be transferred through the defeat of the current owner. Through history, it apparently has changed hands many times.

On the Tennis subreddit, an "elder wand of tennis" was come up with and tracked as it was defeated and its ownership transferred. Actually, it has been done twice.

First, we have the Rod Laver Elder Wand, which began when he won his Grand Slam year in 1969.

Then, it was decided that the Nadal-Federer championship at Wimbledon in 2008 was another watershed moment and it has been tracked since Nadal beat Federer in that match.

Nerds(like me) can follow its transfer of ownership over 50 years from Rod Laver or for 11 years with Federer/Nadal.

It's updated pretty regularly and is a really interesting read if you like Harry Potter and tennis.
I don't get the purpose of the 2nd table. Aren't they the same list? The 2008 list starts with Nadal having it, but he had it on the main list too, so they should track the same unless one list 'counts' matches the other doesn't.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:00 AM

Agreed with Zakalwe re: the existence of two lists.

There's a concept of lineal championships that arose from boxing, which is the same idea. There's one per weight class, which can get complicated when boxers move up in rank. Different lineal list compilers might make different choices for the new champion. Here's a list from one source -- but look quick, since it's nominated for deletion.

It's easier to do something like this in team sports. I've found reference to lists for the NBA and NFL, but apparently the operators got bored and/or broke and gave up. Here's one for college football, spanning all 150 years of history. Ohio State has it now; they actually held it at the end of last season as well, too.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
There's a concept of lineal championships that arose from boxing, which is the same idea.
I always figured thatís where Rowling got the idea. At least I always rationalized in my head that the Elder Wand was like a boxing title.