Old 12-26-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I'm sorry, but even though that ship has sailed long, long ago, it still bugs me, and it wouldn't bother me as much if it weren't an ongoing issue. Take some American Christians' insistence on placing the Ten Commandments in various inappropriate places, like courthouses. How do the Ten Commandments start? "I am they Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt". That "you" right there in the middle does not refer to Christians or to humanity in general, but to the People of Israel, specifically and exclusively. It's part of what defines us as a nation. The Ten Commandments were not addressed to gentiles, and they have no right to them.

This isn't about religion, it's about cultural heritage and founding myths. It really bothers me when people - specifically Christians - try to erase us from our own history.
You do realize that Jesus quoted the OT frequently, and he was the fulfillment of OT prophesies? The OT is always part of any sermon, Bible study, etc so Christians have never tried to "erase" you from your history
Old 12-26-2019, 08:34 PM

As to the other point about non-jews not having a right to the ten commandments. No, wrong, everyone has a right to that, they can quote it, believe it, live their lives by it. What they don't have a right to do is to tear down the wall of church and state by placing that bit of mythology on government property.

Are we getting off topic again?
Old 12-26-2019, 08:52 PM

An aside: some Christian mystics, most famously St.John of the Cross (16th century Spain) used the Song of Songs as a metaphor for the passionate search for union of the soul with God. Personally I think that is one of the best interpretations.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 12-26-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
An aside: some Christian mystics, most famously St.John of the Cross (16th century Spain) used the Song of Songs as a metaphor for the passionate search for union of the soul with God. Personally I think that is one of the best interpretations.
I bet that with enough effort you could interpret Fanny Hill the same way.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I bet that with enough effort you could interpret Fanny Hill the same way.
You should read St.John of the Cross before you make that flip remark. He was one of the great western mystics.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
As to the other point about non-jews not having a right to the ten commandments. No, wrong, everyone has a right to that, they can quote it, believe it, live their lives by it. What they don't have a right to do is to tear down the wall of church and state by placing that bit of mythology on government property.
Sure they can, as long as they include it in with stuff like the Code of Hammurabi, etc.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman View Post
You do realize that Jesus quoted the OT frequently, and he was the fulfillment of OT prophesies? The OT is always part of any sermon, Bible study, etc so Christians have never tried to "erase" you from your history
This is true, but as a Christian, I think Alessan's point from Post #41 (quoted below) was spot-on, and something similar to it was my first reaction to the OP: It wasn't Christians who decided that the SoS should be in the Bible, and any answers to the OP's question need to take that into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Because with a few minor exceptions, Christians took the entire Tanakh, stuck a cross on its cover and called it their own. Asking why SOS is in the Christian bible is the same as asking why Genesis or Jeremiah are there - and the answer is, because the Jews did it.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Side note: By 1970, quality compact tape recorders allowed bootlegging of concerts. I prized my copy of LIVE'R THAN YOU'LL EVER BE. That and other bootlegs prompted the Rolling Stones to release an official concert album, GET YER YA-YA's OUT! Similarly, by circa 380 CE, many apocalyptic texts circulated in the Xian world. The 382 Council of Rome adopted The Apocalypse of St John as canonical, an "official" revelation to counter mad prophets. IMHO official versions are usually cleaner but less spirited than are wild offshoots.

Back to topic, maybe: How do we know the usual Song of Solomon is "original"? I recall from somewhere (sorry, no cite) that all Hebrew Scriptures were destroyed during the Babylonian Captivity, and rewritten from memory by a surviving priest. If that's so, all sorts of errors could be inserted there and elsewhere. Please help!
Old 12-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
This is true, but as a Christian, I think Alessan's point from Post #41 (quoted below) was spot-on, and something similar to it was my first reaction to the OP: It wasn't Christians who decided that the SoS should be in the Bible, and any answers to the OP's question need to take that into account.
Well, they did. Some groups took out parts of the OT.