Old 01-03-2020, 03:19 PM

Here you go.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:30 PM

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
1. Left-wingers objecting to Israel's treatment of the Palestinians leading to conflation of the state of Israel and the Jewish people in general.
It's important to make the distinction though.

Because I see a lot of people, particularly in the US, equating criticism of Israel / Israeli government policy with anti-semitism, which of course it is not.

But, yes, I agree some people conflate distaste for some such policies with Jews in general.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Because I see a lot of people, particularly in the US, equating criticism of Israel / Israeli government policy with anti-semitism
When this occurs, it's generally when criticism is vehemently one-sided and accompanied by anti-Semitic tropes, i.e. "it's all about the Benjamins".
Old 01-04-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I don't know anyone who is anti_jewish people. Criticizing Israel and their policies or government is called anti=semitic just to silence people. imho.
I am glad to hear that none of your personal acquaintances are anti-Semitic.

If what you mean is that nobody else is either, however, I think the congregation of Tree of Life (among others) might want to have a word with you.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:37 PM

Based on that Economist graphic some things worth noting -

Almost 8% of Americans surveyed endorsed "strongly anti-Semitic beliefs" and the majority of them also endorsed "strongly anti-Israel beliefs" as well. The rates of endorsed "strongly anti-Semitic beliefs" and "both" is not very different between liberals, moderates, and conservatives.

The difference between the groups is that there are more liberals who endorse "strongly anti-Israel beliefs" who are not anti-Semitic, but let's be clear, there is a sizable minority (28%) who are. And as Jackmanni opines that minority tends to have their tells.

Last edited by DSeid; 01-04-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:35 PM

The Economist article is a good one. But I am not quite sure where DSeid is getting the number 28%.

The distinction between anti-Israel government policy and anti-Semitism may be conflated but it is important. In Canada, 19% of human rights complaints are against Jews, the highest group. And these complaints have risen 16% in one year.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
... I am not quite sure where DSeid is getting the number 28%. ...
For liberals in America total in the "strongly anti-Israel beliefs" circle is 180. 50 of that 180 is in the "both" section (the intersection of the Venn diagram) 130 are in the "strongly anti-Israel beliefs" and not in the "highly anti-Semitic" circle too. 50/180 is 28%.

This is very straight forward math.

Liberals who are anti-Israel are sometimes anti-Semites, 28% of the time. Anti-Semites who are liberals (per that data nearly as many of them as there are conservatives who are anti-Semites) are usually anti-Israel.

It would be unfair to portray being critical of Israeli government policy as anti-Semitic (and in fact many Jews, including many Zionistic Jews, are critical of Israeli government policy) as anti-Semitic. It would however be very naive to believe that many anti-Semites do not wrap their anti-Semitism in a thin cloak of anti-Israel rhetoric.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:17 PM

It can also be noted that for Americans who are not liberals, moderates and conservatives put together, there is a 50/50 chance that someone having "strongly anti-Israel beliefs" also has "strongly anti-Semitic beliefs"

Once again a presumption of good faith is justified but if you are not seeing any clear anti-Semites among those who are expressing anti-Israel beliefs you are ignoring what is clearly there.