Old 01-09-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
bullshit -

He only does this to this degree when he's clearly reading 'prepared' remarks that he has no idea what he is about to say and is completely unfamilar with the topic at hand.

He doesn't do it quite as bad during his un-scripted bullshit sessions.
Plus during the debates, don't forget. It isn't about reading scripted remarks. The sniffles seem to hit when there are events that he's on center stage in situations be clearly isn't comfortable in, which obviously doesn't include his freewheeling sessions where he can make up lies to thousands of supporters who eat up all his bullshit.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Trump will respond -- it's inevitable. As I've said, he has to. He can't look weak. This is his Gulf of Tonkin moment.
Exactly.

You DO know the Gulf of Tonkin incident was a False Flag, orchestrated by the us government?

Johnson had his "Gulf of Tonkin incident"... fake,
led to vietnam war, which US lost

Bush had his Iraq "Weapons of Mass Destruction"... fake manufacured by cia,
led to the (ahem) wonderful successes in Iraq

Trump has his "Qassim solemanim preparing terror strikes" fake.
wonder where it will lead to?
Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinKitFox View Post
Exactly.

You DO know the Gulf of Tonkin incident was a False Flag, orchestrated by the us government?

. . .

Trump has his "Qassim solemanim preparing terror strikes" fake.
wonder where it will lead to?
Based on the last 24 hours, I'd put my money on "nothingburger."
Old 01-09-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

This ain't over.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:59 PM

The US is declaring that an Iranian missile brought down the passenger jet by mistake.

Even if that is true, it's so damn insensitive to bring that information out now, from an American source, that I can't see it helping the overall situation.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Dammit, I liked that tent!
That tent was just two days from retirement!
Old 01-09-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I'm not sure what "this ain't over" means. "This" has been ongoing since 1979 though seven administrations. So yeah, it still "ain't over" now, Trump or no Trump.

But that's all for now. Everyone flexed muscle, everyone can claim the upper hand, and now everyone is going home. Hell, from your article:

"The messages show that the U.S. can't afford to let its guard down, but they also highlight continued deep divisions inside Iranian society. Iran's political leaders said Wednesday that the Islamic Republic had "concluded" its response to America's targeted killing of a top Iranian general.

"CBS News senior foreign correspondent Elizabeth Palmer says that while Iran's military commanders are vowing to fight on, with the goal of getting U.S. forces to leave the region, the headline in Tehran on Thursday was that — in the short term — the Americans aren't planning another military strike.

Not sure what bigger sign you're looking for.

Last edited by spifflog; 01-09-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
The US is declaring that an Iranian missile brought down the passenger jet by mistake.

Even if that is true, it's so damn insensitive to bring that information out now, from an American source, that I can't see it helping the overall situation.
The US also said that the assassination prevented an imminent attack and that Soleimani was involved with the September 11th attack. So, if they happen to be right here, it would be pure coincidence. Any statements from this administration are orthogonal to true/false, and if they happen to be true, it's just a roll of the dice. I wouldn't bet my 409k on it, that's for sure.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I'm not sure what "this ain't over" means.
Trump: Iran appears to be standing down.

Iran: No, we're not.

QED
Old 01-09-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what "this ain't over" means. "This" has been ongoing since 1979 though seven administrations. So yeah, it still "ain't over" now, Trump or no Trump.
No, "this" has been ongoing since operation Ajax, in 1953, where the US led a coup in Iran, overthrowing the democratically elected president in favor of a dictatorial monarchy.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post

Plus, we once shot down an Iranian airliner, so you’d think we’d just kind of shut up. Glass houses and all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
Old 01-09-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Plus, we once shot down an Iranian airliner, so you’d think we’d just kind of shut up. Glass houses and all.
I know that Trump's an easy target that we all love to kick, but what did he say that was so bad? The airliner went down at a time of violence between the US and Iran, you'd expect the US to make some comment that the U.S wasn't responsible, right?

Here what I have seen that he's said:

“It was flying in a pretty rough neighborhood, someone could have made a mistake. I have a feeling that — it’s just some very terrible, something very terrible happened, very devastating.”

“Well, I have my suspicions. I don’t want to say that, because other people have those suspicions also … Somebody could’ve made a mistake on the other side,” Trump said about the Ukrainian plane. “Some people say it was mechanical. Personally, I don’t think that’s even a question.”

What am I missing? Did he say something else?
Old 01-09-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I know that Trump's an easy target that we all love to kick, but what did he say that was so bad? The airliner went down at a time of violence between the US and Iran, you'd expect the US to make some comment that the U.S wasn't responsible, right?

“It was flying in a pretty rough neighborhood, someone could have made a mistake. I have a feeling that — it’s just some very terrible, something very terrible happened, very devastating.”

“Well, I have my suspicions. I don’t want to say that, because other people have those suspicions also … Somebody could’ve made a mistake on the other side,” Trump said about the Ukrainian plane. “Some people say it was mechanical. Personally, I don’t think that’s even a question.”

He could have shut up before "Well, I have my suspicions."
Old 01-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know that Trump's an easy target that we all love to kick, but what did he say that was so bad?
Your concern for him is truly touching. We should all take a deep breath and make sure we don't say or imply anything that might hurt a politician's feelings.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 PM

Iranian SA-15 missile fragments found.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
What?
There was NOTHING WRONG with shooting down flight 655
Any world-leading advanced Aegis cruiser can mistake a climbing Airbus a300 for a F15 diving to attack!!

Besides, if shooting own flight 655 was wrong, then they would not have given Captain Rogers the Legion of Merit "for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service as commanding officer", nor given the Air warfare director on duty that day a Navy Commendation Medal, right?
Old 01-09-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Your concern for him is truly touching. We should all take a deep breath and make sure we don't say or imply anything that might hurt a politician's feelings.
I don't give a rats ass for his feelings. But I wish this site would be more level.

Everything Trump does isn't wrong. Trump's gooned up 90% of the time, and I wish that he hadn't taken such a harsh action. But stating that the U.S. didn't shoot down the airliner isn't a bad thing. You'd expect him to do it.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Oh noes! Why oh why can’t we just be more fair - I mean LEVEL - to Trump! Just think of how Javanka must feel!
Old 01-09-2020, 06:39 PM

This is an ignorance-fighting message board, right? If Trump is correct about an Iranian missile bringing down the 737, then facts are facts. That it comes from a guy like Trump wouldn't make it any less true.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

There may be shining moments of truth when he speaks, like a pearl in a turd.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:

It wasn’t really about Trump, just once I wish the US would realize it has zero moral authority in the Middle East.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:53 PM

This is just A message board. It has a meaningless silly slogan just like that diner in Brooklyn which doesn't really serve the World's Best Coffee. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Last edited by Chingon; 01-09-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

At least Trump knew not to offer thoughts and prayers for the crash victims. Those are saved for special occasions like American school shootings.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Oh noes! Why oh why can’t we just be more fair - I mean LEVEL - to Trump! Just think of how Javanka must feel!
Got it. You've have nothing.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I don't give a rats ass for his feelings. But I wish this site would be more level.

Everything Trump does isn't wrong. Trump's gooned up 90% of the time, and I wish that he hadn't taken such a harsh action. But stating that the U.S. didn't shoot down the airliner isn't a bad thing. You'd expect him to do it.
It doesn't help that the vast majority of what Trump does is wrong.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
This is an ignorance-fighting message board, right? If Trump is correct about an Iranian missile bringing down the 737, then facts are facts. That it comes from a guy like Trump wouldn't make it any less true.
Did anyone say it wasn't true? I said that if it was true, that was purely coincidence. The back-and-forth you're replying to is about Trump shutting his mouth about his "suspicions" -- they've just had a tragedy in Iran, probably brought on accidentally by themselves, and he's issuing completely tone-deaf statements.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got it. You've have nothing.
What are you talking about? Of course I have something! I have loads of crocodile tears for the brave commander in chief who isn't getting the benefit of the doubt from a bunch of randos on an internet message board. Boo, hoo, hoo. Poor, brave, orange, lying, incoherent, misinformed leader! Won't someone think of the troops? Boo, hoo, hoo!
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

But he lied to the American people!