Old 01-10-2020, 12:12 PM

Alternative to surgery to bypass your stomach - balloon

I'm afraid of dentists, spiders, snakes and so on but I know I should loose weight...so is there an alternative for surgery. My idea is to swallow an empty balloon and fill it after it is in my empty stomach. Any concerns?

Last edited by komolono; 01-10-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Empty
Old 01-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Why not just eat less / exercise more?
Old 01-10-2020, 12:24 PM

There are various non-surgical interventions for obesity.

Gastric balloon - already mentioned by OP. Fill it up inside the stomach. Problem is I think it only lasts 6 months.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20394435

Endoluminal sleeves - a sleeve that is implanted via the mouth that blocks off the duodenum so it can't absorb nutrients. Works mostly the same as rerouting the intestines to bypass the duodenum but is removable and can be done outpatient

https://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguid...uminal-sleeve/

fullsense - this one will be great if it works out. Not sure if it has FDA clearance yet. Its basically a stent shaped like an inverted umbrella you have implanted through your mouth, that attaches to your esophagus and the top of your stomach. The stent places pressure on stretch receptors at the top of the stomach, which sends fullness sensations to the brain. In a pilot study, people lost 80% of their excess weight in the first 6 months and were still losing weight. That is better than any other surgery option out there. And its cheaper, safer with fewer side effects compared to gastric surgery. I hope this device works out, it could be a game changer.

http://www.bfkw.org/

https://bariatricnews.net/?q=node/102

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-10-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:27 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Why not just eat less / exercise more?
Same reason why alcoholics and addicts don't just stop.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:36 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

deleted, weird double post 12 minutes apart for no discernible reason

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 01-10-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post

With the added bonus that you *have* to eat to survive, making it even harder.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
beowulff said to eat less--not to stop eating entirely.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Problem is I think it only lasts 6 months. ]
I think I can afford it - it is about 15 cents twice a year. Did I suggest that I'm poor...
Old 01-10-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komolono View Post
I think I can afford it - it is about 15 cents twice a year. Did I suggest that I'm poor...
The actual intragastric balloon is about 5k or so and is made of a special material so it doesn't go down the digestive system or get digested in the stomach.

To my knowledge you have to get it deflated and replaced at six months. No idea if they are working on a permanent model instead.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-10-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:19 PM

I was going to joke: "why not just swallow a tapeworm?". But now I wonder why that isn't done instead. I presume there is a cure for a tapeworm. So it seems safer than surgery. And the doctors could still charge for monitoring (the tapeworm would be cheap, but they could insist on xrays or whatever to make sure it doesn't get too big for "safety", to satisfy their profit goals).
Old 01-10-2020, 02:54 PM

Tapeworms have been used for dieting. But they can be dangerous.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Tapeworms have been used for dieting. But they can be dangerous.
Yeah, but so is surgically making your stomach smaller. The doctors want to make a profit. So why isn't "swallow a tapeworm, and because that is dangerous, pay the doctors to monitor / eventually give you antibiotics" an option offered by the medical industry? Is it just accidental: tapeworms were outlawed before sufficient medical progress to make them "safe enough". Then surgery advanced to make decreasing the size of your stomach a medical option. And/or the FDA is now more "loosey goosey". But no one revisited tapeworms?

Last edited by Jim Peebles; 01-10-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:33 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
Yeah, but so is surgically making your stomach smaller. The doctors want to make a profit. So why isn't "swallow a tapeworm, and because that is dangerous, pay the doctors to monitor / eventually give you antibiotics" an option offered by the medical industry? Is it just accidental: tapeworms were outlawed before sufficient medical progress to make them "safe enough". Then surgery advanced to make decreasing the size of your stomach a medical option. And/or the FDA is now more "loosey goosey". But no one revisited tapeworms?
Tapeworm infestations are noted for causing megaloblastic anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, and intestinal obstruction. A sensation of the movement of the tapeworms through the anus is also common. There may be associated symptoms including nausea, anorexia, or epigastric pain. Anxiety, headache, dizziness, and urticaria can also occur. A peripheral eosinophilia (up 15 percent) may be observed. The tapeworms can also enter the pancreatic duct and common bile duct and interfere with function. Occasionally tapeworms are vomited and then aspirated into the lungs where they then may multiply for a little while.

Plus, they're not real reliable for inducing weight loss. That generally only happens if the person gets debilitated from the infestation, or is nutritionally compromised already due to lack of food.

But otherwise, sure, go ahead, pop a few if you want. See what happens.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Tapeworm infestations are noted for causing megaloblastic anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, and intestinal obstruction. A sensation of the movement of the tapeworms through the anus is also common. There may be associated symptoms including nausea, anorexia, or epigastric pain. Anxiety, headache, dizziness, and urticaria can also occur. A peripheral eosinophilia (up 15 percent) may be observed. The tapeworms can also enter the pancreatic duct and common bile duct and interfere with function. Occasionally tapeworms are vomited and then aspirated into the lungs where they then may multiply for a little while.

Plus, they're not real reliable for inducing weight loss. That generally only happens if the person gets debilitated from the infestation, or is nutritionally compromised already due to lack of food.

But otherwise, sure, go ahead, pop a few if you want. See what happens.
I'm not trying to lose weight. If anything I could stand to gain a few pounds. If I were obese I would hire a personal trainer, as it seems much safer, and probably just as much effort (although I guess the effort with surgery is mostly in recovery when it is too late to back out). I suppose insurance might cover surgery but not a personal trainer.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you of the opinion that a 15 cent party balloon will be safe and effective in your stomach? If so, go for it.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Since this is asking for advice, let's move it to IMHO.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Are you of the opinion that a 15 cent party balloon will be safe and effective in your stomach? If so, go for it.
Yeah it sounds like you are headed for emergency surgery. Why not research high volume, low calorie foods? That seems safer than a balloon, but almost the same effect. And I bet there are already websites talking about such a diet.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Intermittent fasting is the answer. It's not what you eat, it's when you eat. I recommend going on a 3X42 protocol, fasting for 42 hours three days a week with at least two meals between fasting periods.

Fasting means fasting, no food, no liquids except water and black coffee or tea, no sweeteners of any kind, including no caloric. All of them provoke an insulin response, which is what you're trying to avoid. Go out and get a copy of The Obesity Code by Jason Fung. He's a nephrologist from Toronto. Be careful, there's a lot of look-a-like versions that want to sell you a synopsis, you want the full version.

It's cheap too, cheaper than eating, that's for sure.

Last edited by Bill Door; 01-10-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:24 PM

I didn't realize he was talking about something he was actually going to try at first. But as an IMHO, I would say: different diets will work for different people. A balloon is dangerous. But the direct diet analogue is to eat an inflated balloon's volume of low calorie food instead of what you normally would. That isn't to say psychologically that will work for you. So maybe the intermitant fasting someone else suggested will. My belief is the surgery options "work" (sometimes) because it is a diet you can't back out of (after the surgery).
Old 01-10-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
Intermittent fasting is the answer. It's not what you eat, it's when you eat. I recommend going on a 3X42 protocol, fasting for 42 hours three days a week with at least two meals between fasting periods.

Fasting means fasting, no food, no liquids except water and black coffee or tea, no sweeteners of any kind, including no caloric. All of them provoke an insulin response, which is what you're trying to avoid. Go out and get a copy of The Obesity Code by Jason Fung. He's a nephrologist from Toronto. Be careful, there's a lot of look-a-like versions that want to sell you a synopsis, you want the full version.

It's cheap too, cheaper than eating, that's for sure.
A 42 hour fast is pretty extreme, and if you do that aren't you only eating 6 meals a week? Are people able to sustain that? I thought the original idea for IF was one day on, one day off but they found that most people couldn't maintain it so not people push ideas like a 16:8 or 20:4 or OMAD plan.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A 42 hour fast is pretty extreme, and if you do that aren't you only eating 6 meals a week? Are people able to sustain that? I thought the original idea for IF was one day on, one day off but they found that most people couldn't maintain it so not people push ideas like a 16:8 or 20:4 or OMAD plan.
No, in my case it's actually eight meals a week, lunch and dinner on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I've maintained it for more than a year and see no reason why I can't continue indefinitely. Weight loss has slowed down as a approached and went under my initial goal weight, but I'm continuing fasting for the hormonal and metabolic benefits. I do my strength training in a fasted state to aid in recovery and lactic acid conversion.

I wouldn't consider 16:8 or 20:4 intermittent fasting, I'd call it time restricted eating. If it's not over 24 hours I don't call it fasting, and it's like running, the first mile is the hard one. The first 24 hours are the tough ones, once you've got them in you might as well keep going.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:46 PM

Every one is going to have their idea of how to lose weight. And most of those people have some idea on my position on this.

My first stance is that if you can't do it for the rest of your life, you will gain the weight back (and probably more)

Does it matter? If you lose the weight but gain it back and then some in the next year or two, will you count that as a success?

I know two people who have had weight loss surgery and kept it off. I know of some other people who had it and gained all the weight back.

My guess is that different people have different reasons for being overweight. If I'm right, then if you tend to sit down to 3 huge meals a day and nothing else, and you can exercise some discipline over your eating, but can't not eat if you are still hungry, then the "make your stomach smaller" surgery just may work.
(But if you're like me, and tend to eat very small amounts throughout the day, I don't think surgery is a good option. Or if you get a lot of calories from alcohol or soda pop. Or if your problem is that you eat for emotional reasons rather than hunger.)

Bear in mind that if you get weight loss surgery, you will be put on a very limited calorie diet afterwards. And there are potential health problems, not just from undergoing surgery but from nutrient malabsorption afterwards.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:56 PM

Gastric balloons have been used as a weight-loss aid for at least 40 years that I know of.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I can't do that also, but a balloon is not the answer in this case. Actually, alcohol is not a problem, but an answer..

Last edited by komolono; 01-11-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
No, in my case it's actually eight meals a week, lunch and dinner on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I've maintained it for more than a year and see no reason why I can't continue indefinitely. Weight loss has slowed down as a approached and went under my initial goal weight, but I'm continuing fasting for the hormonal and metabolic benefits. I do my strength training in a fasted state to aid in recovery and lactic acid conversion.

I wouldn't consider 16:8 or 20:4 intermittent fasting, I'd call it time restricted eating. If it's not over 24 hours I don't call it fasting, and it's like running, the first mile is the hard one. The first 24 hours are the tough ones, once you've got them in you might as well keep going.
I was under the impression even 16:8 fasting led to metabolic improvements and weight loss.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was under the impression even 16:8 fasting led to metabolic improvements and weight loss.
It does, and that's the way I got into it, more or less accidentally by delaying my breakfast until I'd finished my morning walk. By the time my walk had gotten up to seven or so miles, breakfast came so late it was stepping on lunch, so I just started skipping lunch and having breakfast at noon. I started the 3X42 protocol as a way to induce autophagy.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm afraid of dentists, spiders, snakes and so on but I know I should loose weight...so is there an alternative for surgery. My idea is to swallow an empty balloon and fill it after it is in my empty stomach. Any concerns?
From someone who has had to spend time in the hospital for having a chunk of debris close off my stomach, DO NOT DO THIS. Having to get your stomach pumped is thoroughly unpleasant, and dying from a ruptured stomach (because nothing can get out) damn well is likely worse.