Old 01-03-2020, 11:57 AM

I’m 42 and I definitely find that I rarely have time to play like I did when I was younger. I’m still a gamer but I maybe average an hour a day on console and much less on PC. Mobile gaming, that I do often but that’s because my device is always with me for idle moments.

If I blew off time with the family, taking care of my car/housework/finances/etc. then I’d have lots of time to game. But shirking those responsibilities would make me a loser. There should definitely be a stigma against people my age who prioritize gaming over other things.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
I guess? But it seems to fall under the category of hobby than a general topic of conversation, and people don't really bring hobbies up in casual conversation.
That's kind of my feeling, as well. And it's rare I'm playing the same games my friends are playing, so if it were brought up, it'd be maybe a couple sentences in a conversation that is mostly about our lives, the world, and music. We don't really talk about TV shows or movies, either. Sports occasionally comes up, depending on which friends I'm with, but it's rarely an extended topic of conversation.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-03-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
It's the same age where you're too old to watch TV...
It's about me. TV pisses me off. Too old for video games? I do not think so.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:35 AM

I don't think there is such thing as too old for video games, they were designed to entertain people no matter what age, like sonic. The dude who made sonic probably never told himself, that "this game is only for people in age 12-15" or sum like that. Okay, maybe there are a few exceptions like - games that are only for toddlers..(I assume there is sum like that, I am not sure), and also there are games like slots or video poker which are made for "adults" only. You can't let a child play slots or video poker or scratchcards.. But I have played sonic as a child and sometimes I play it now.. what so weird about that? And yes, my lil brother plays Fortnite and I think he will play Fortnite at one point in future, maybe because he likes it or maybe because it brings him the feeling of childhood. (I tried my best to show the examples of games in case someone didnt know, so bare with me) . Also this is just my opinion peace
Old 01-10-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
I think there's an age when you have enough responsibilities that you need to prioritize other things over video games and not everyone is able to recognize that. That's a problem.

That isn't unique to gaming though, but I think it might be harder to do with gaming.

It doesn't mean you can't play games at all. It just means you need to be responsible.
I think there should be less emphasis on age, and more on just plain responsibilities. I'm 31, and hold down my job just fine. I'm not married and I don't have kids though, so that's fewer responsibilities than another woman my age might have. I can devote more time to gaming without neglecting other areas of my life. When it gets to be a problem isn't when you reach a certain age, but rather, if you're neglecting those other very important areas.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post

Also, gaming has not entered mainstream celebrity culture to the level of other media. There are plenty of A-listers involved in the gaming industry, e.g. Kristen Bell. But when most people think of Kristen Bell, I don't think Assassin's Creed is their first thought.
There are a lot of not so young A-Listers involved as well. For fun I wanted to see if I could list 10 A-listers involved in games without the google or thinking to hard.

I came up with:

Quentin Tarantino
Jennifer Aniston
Penn and Teller
Ray Liota
Burt Reynolds
Lynda Carter
Norman Reedus
Bruce Campbell
Katie Perry
Samuel L Jackson
Dennis Hopper

So there's 11 and I can think of more. I added Katie Perry because she didn't just license her songs, she rerecorded them in Simlish for The Sims franchise. Lot's of musicians have done this and while I've heard of many of them none are big enough to stick in my memory. I added the 11th in case you disagree.

I don't know all of these peoples ages but I'd say most of them are in the age group that supposedly stigmatize games.

Most of the people on my list worked on A list games which I assume was for A list money. You won't find them flooding the market because most games can't afford them.