Old 01-11-2020, 01:51 AM

Brockmire - Is this just too much pain for Home TV?

If you have not yet seen Brockmire, here is the IDMB link for it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5722190

I feel the need to be very careful with this post because I know that I want to say some very negative things about this show and I often get into trouble when I do that.

So, I'll start by saying that for those people who may not know, the lead actor on this show is Hank Azaria and he is a terrific voice-over actor who plays several roles on The Simpsons. I think he voiced Moe Szyslak and Chief Wiggims and maybe Mr. Burns too.

But as far as this TV show goes, I have never seen a character portrayed on a Home TV show that is as self-destructive as is Mr. Brockmire.

The first season starts off by explaining over and over again how he has essentially ruined his life by becoming addicted to alcohol and his life which can aptly be referred to as one huge trainwreck just keeps on getting worse every episode.

The key phrase is "self-destructive" and I know that I used to sneer in derision when people in the 60s would demonstrate against The Beatles music and warn us how it would be destructive to American families to listen to this "Devil Music".

So, I am now torn between wondering just how negative I can be about this show versus how ridiculous I will appear if I do the same sort of thing those people in the 60s did by smashing Beatles records.

Bottom line ...... I'm guessing the only appropriate thing to do is to ask you how you feel about this show?

Is it so gruseome that it actually is over the top and provides good comedy? Or will it harm small children to watch this show and should people be warned to keep small children from seeing this thing?

I honestly can't figure this out.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Bottom line ...... I'm guessing the only appropriate thing to do is to ask you how you feel about this show?
I love it.

Quote:
Is it so gruseome that it actually is over the top and provides good comedy?
IMO yes. That is where most of the humor comes from. It also does a good job at being serious and showing the real struggles Brockmire has. There is even growth in small steps as the series goes on.

Quote:
Or will it harm small children to watch this show and should people be warned to keep small children from seeing this thing?
That is not really an "or." It provides some gut wrenchingly funny dark humor. It should also be kept far away from small children...very far away. Not everything is society needs to be kid friendly.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Or will it harm small children to watch this show and should people be warned to keep small children from seeing this thing?

I honestly can't figure this out.
You can't figure this out? The show is rated MA and warns you to keep children well away at the beginning of every single episode.

It's a fantastic show with fantastic characters who develop and grow over the course of the series. Brockmire is self destructive but not irredeemable, which is very important in terms of the show's overall quality.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
So, I'll start by saying that for those people who may not know, the lead actor on this show is Hank Azaria and he is a terrific voice-over actor who plays several roles on The Simpsons. I think he voiced Moe Szyslak and Chief Wiggims and maybe Mr. Burns too.
Slight nitpick: Azaria voices Chief Clancy Wiggum, Moe Syzslak, and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon on The Simpsons. Monty Burns is voiced by Harry Shearer.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:23 AM

Note that the real low point in Brockmire's life was before the start of the show. The overall arc is him on the "up" swing in his life story.

However: Swings are not all unidirectional. He lapses back quite a bit. But never as low as when he found out his wife was cheating on him and went ballistic on the air during an MLB broadcast (and ending up doing play-by-play at cock fighting tournaments in the Philippines).

There is a lot of profanity. Some of it quite, um, "creative". Adult activities occur. So there's swear-offs with prostitutes the morning after. You want to have your kids see that?
Old 01-11-2020, 03:32 PM

It's a show about a damaged man trying to rebuild and recover. It's definitely for adults. But Brockmire's behavior is so over the top that it's hard to imagine any impressionable young person being damaged by it. That's an issue far more likely to arise with anti-heroes like Tony Soprano, Don Draper or Walter White.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:49 PM

I thank you all for your comments. You have helped me to understand what is going on with this show. Now I will try to face the challenge of seeing whether I can enjoy this show.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:07 PM

What is “Home TV”?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:42 PM

It was funny for a couple episodes, but it gets old pretty fast. I quit watching. It also comes of as extremely self-indulgent for Azaria.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
What is “Home TV”?
Heh. Heh.

I just meant TV programming that is routinely beamed into peoples' homes without any restrictions to prevent children from viewing the shows.

Maybe I could have found a better way to describe this.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
It was funny for a couple episodes, but it gets old pretty fast. I quit watching. It also comes of as extremely self-indulgent for Azaria.

Thank you so much. I had a hard time with this show. I found it was just relentless making the same points over and over. More than one person has said they found some "growth" in the characters. But I honestly had a hard time seeing any growth because it seemed covered up in debauchery.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Thank you very much. I am having a hard time with this show. I found it was just relentless making the same points over and over. More than one person has said they found some "growth" in the characters. But I honestly had a hard time seeing any growth because it seemed covered in debauchery.

A whole lot of debauchery in this show. So much of it that I found it difficult to see much else. I think that may be why I started my post saying what a great voice-over actor Azaria is. I think I said that instead of saying how disappointed I was in the writing of the show. I don't know exactly how much of a hand Azaria had in the writing. I suppose I just hold him accountable for the entire show because he seems to be the show runner since he is on air for almost the entire show and that bothers me. I find it hard to enjoy an ensemble show when one character is on air for approx 90 percent of the time. Can you imagine what Community would be like if Chevy Chase was on the screen for 90 percent of the show?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:22 PM

I can only think of one actor who could stay on air for almost every second of every episode and still result in an enjoyable episode. That was Lucille Ball. But I cannot recall anyone else who was ever able to accomplish that. I think it's just too much pressure and it requires a massive talent.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-12-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thank you all for your comments. You have helped me to understand what is going on with this show. Now I will try to face the challenge of seeing whether I can enjoy this show.
Why? Is someone forcing you to watch the show?
Old 01-14-2020, 03:31 PM

The first season was excellent. I think it helped that I am a baseball fan, but that isn't required by any means; it's just a show set in a baseball environment. But, being a baseball fan aided in picking up on some of the references and jokes. If I had children, I wouldn't watch the show with them -- there's too much, as someone said, over-the-top debauchery.

The stuff with Joe Buck, Bob Costas and George Brett is funny, and both Martha Plimpton and Linda Lavin are flawless. Actually, the entire cast shines. I'll have to rewatch Seasons 2 and 3, but I recall not being as impressed with them as the first.

And I don't really get why the OP would compare the actions of the anti-Beatles crowd 50+ years ago to any criticism that he may have of this show.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:35 PM

Don't ever watch Shameless, then. Either version.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Don't ever watch Shameless, then. Either version.
Is this when we start recommending shows to the OP?

Try Dexter, bloody good family fun!

CMC fnord!
Old 01-14-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
Is this when we start recommending shows to the OP?

Try Dexter, bloody good family fun!

CMC fnord!
The OP should definitely also try to seek out Happy! on FX.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
The OP should definitely also try to seek out Happy! on FX.
That's got a cartoon unicorn, right?
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.