View Poll Results: Free ice cream! Cone or bowl?
Bowl 65 54.62%
Sugar cone 15 12.61%
Waffle cone 29 24.37%
Cake/wafer cone 9 7.56%
No thank you, I'm good. 1 0.84%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2020, 09:33 AM

Ice cream: cone or bowl?

Free ice cream! You want it in a cone or a bowl?

Any flavor. Free dips and toppings.

All things being equal Nah, they're not equal. They're different experiences, and that's the point.

Last edited by DCnDC; 01-12-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:36 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Bowl. Holds more than a cone.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:40 AM

I like cones, all types, but the when you have a cone, especially when you're outside in the sun, you have a deadline; it's a big sticky mess time bomb. With a bowl, it will just become soup.

Also with bowls, you have a lot of extra room for sprinkles and sauces and other toppings. Cones are much more limited on the extras.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Cake cone. Waffle/sugar cones are too big and too sweet; I like the crunchiness of a cake coke with the ice cream. And I don't need/want a giant pile of ice cream, so one scoop on a cake cone is just the ticket.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 AM

BTW, here's a helpful visual guide to the difference between cone types (and I'm not necessarily talking about "waffle bowls," as illustrated in the picture, when I say "bowl").

https://friendfortheride.files.wordp.../cones_002.jpg

It's my understanding that "waffle cones" are generally made fresh in-store, while "sugar cones" are commercially mass produced. "Cake/wafer cones" are those things you get in a box at the supermarket.

Last edited by DCnDC; 01-12-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

It depends on where I'm eating.

At home? Bowl. We don't eat ice cream at home often enough to keep cones on hand. So if I'm at home and I want ice cream, a bowl it is.

Outside, anywhere else? Cone, absolutely. Make mine a waffle cone.

Inside, at someone else's home? Depends on whether they have cones, and whether we're pretty much staying inside, or if it's a nice summer day and we're floating back and forth between inside and outside. If the latter setup and they have cones, then cone. Otherwise, bowl.

Inside, at an ice cream parlor? Cone. If I drip, it's their problem, and I can always step outside with my cone if I want to.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

When I go with the kids, I almost always get the bowl, whatever the smallest is they have. And that's usually still too much ice cream for me.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Our local creamery has staff whose jobs are only to make waffle cones and bowls.

Weekend nights, there are two on, and 4 waffle makers going full out.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:52 AM

There's a time and place for an ice cream cone and there's a time and place for ice cream in a bowl.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 AM

Cone.
Why did I open this thread? Now I want an icecream cone!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-12-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Sugar cones rule!
Old 01-12-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
It's my understanding that "waffle cones" are generally made fresh in-store, while "sugar cones" are commercially mass produced. "Cake/wafer cones" are those things you get in a box at the supermarket.
Just last night I was watching a YouTube video that showed a factory making all three types of cone, waffle, sugar, and cake, so not all waffle cones are made in the store. I would imagine no sugar or cake cones are made in store.

Personally, I prefer sugar cones over cake or waffle but I wouldn't turn my nose up at either if they were offered.

Last edited by DesertDog; 01-12-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:29 PM

Waffle cone — but as the OP says, all things are not equal.

When the family goes out for frozen dairy, 99% of the time it’s to the local custard shop, where the toppings are as important as the custard — so a bowl is required. But for ice cream, if there’s a cone available, I’m getting a cone. Buying cones for the home is a small luxury; it doesn’t happen with every purchase of a carton of ice cream, but when we get them they get used.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:31 PM

Bowl. Less drippy mess, and you can put it down.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

The ideal setting for ice cream is a lazy summer evening outdoors, and the ideal serving for that setting is a cone, and the ideal cone is a waffle cone.

DCnDC, one of the local places has a display like that, with four samples helpfully labeled "waffle cone", "sugar cone", "cake cone", and "pine cone".
Old 01-12-2020, 12:53 PM

I have never heard it referred to as a "cake cone", is it a general Americanism?
Old 01-12-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
I have never heard it referred to as a "cake cone", is it a general Americanism?
Honestly, I'd never heard that term either, but I needed to know what to call it and most sites I visited that sounded like they knew what they were talking about referred to them as "cake cones," and only a few "wafer cones," but personally I feel like that's a better, more descriptive name for them. For what it's worth, "cake cone" more reliably gets Google images of the one I'm referring to more than "wafer cone."

I do love how the inner structure of them gets a little soft and chewy while the outer part stays crispy for that very last bite.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
I never heard that term but this was the type of ice cream cone my parents would buy for use at home. I suppose the flat bottom makes it easy to stand on the counter to fill.

But as to the overall question, my preference is for a bowl. especially when eating ice cream at home. (Although I remember the days when I could buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and consume the whole thing in one sitting. Particularly in college this was necessary since the little dorm refrigerators didn't have enough room to store a pint of ice cream.)
Old 01-12-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
... (Although I remember the days when I could buy a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and consume the whole thing in one sitting. Particularly in college this was necessary since the little dorm refrigerators didn't have enough room to store a pint of ice cream.)
Something about your comment reminds me of long-gone days in the '50's when the best deal going was Dairy Queen's "pint of hard-frozen vanilla." That became a regular after-school treat for my buddies and me. I don't remember when that choice was replaced nor by what, but it surely is a strong memory.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:13 PM

None of the above. The only way to eat ice cream is right out of the container.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Bowl. Cone is too much hassle and a bunch of extra sugar without proportional eating pleasure.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:19 PM

bowl > wafer cone > waffle cone > sugar cone > my bare cupped hand

Least to most messy; duh.

The best ice cream is the ice cream in my hot fudge sundae. No whipped cream, no cherry, no crushed nuts. Just ice cream and fudge. Mmmmmmm.

ETA: There is almost never a a time when "no thank you, I'm good" is an appropriate response to free ice cream; it risks offending the Universe.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-12-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:46 PM

I usually prefer a bowl of ice cream.

I do enjoy a chocolate dipped cone at Diary Queen. That's a rare treat.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

A simple sugar cone, with a double dip of either Black Raspberry or Maple Walnut ice cream.

In Maine. For some reason NYC does not offer these two flavors, so you have to go north at least as far as Massachusetts to get them.

If you have trouble consuming an ice cream cone without having it melt all over your fingers or fall into your lap, I recommend the classic 1968 New Yorker essay by L. Rust Hills, “How To Eat an Ice Cream Cone.”

http://www.kestenbaum.com/Articles/Ice_Cream.htm
Old 01-12-2020, 09:50 PM

Whenever I think of the "cake" cones (I'd call them wafer cones, too), I think of the ice cream cones you'd get at Thrifty Drug Stores. Used to be a nickel for a single scoop way into at least the 80s. Such a bargain. And good ice cream, too. But that's mostly a nostalgia thing. I prefer a bowl. And I'm not a big fan of a lot of toppings.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 AM

Soft chocolate in the classic cone.

All other forms in a bowl.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Whenever I think of the "cake" cones (I'd call them wafer cones, too), I think of the ice cream cones you'd get at Thrifty Drug Stores. Used to be a nickel for a single scoop way into at least the 80s.
Really? Holy crap. That still only like fifteen cents a scoop in today's money. Never heard of this Thrifty Drug Store, but they definitely lived up to their name.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

I will never eat ice cream with a cake cone/plain cone. I remember being so disappointed in that flavorless spongy crap when I was a kid. And then when you got to that bottom there was that rock-hard grid trapping the last bits of delicious ice cream.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:41 AM

I like both cake and sugar cones equally. Waffle cones are good but way too big.
I hate when they pile vast quantities of ice cream in a cone. 1 large or 2 small scoops are just right in a cone.
I love DQ's chocolate soft serve dipped in chocolate. But of the 3 area DQ's, only one of them has the chocolate soft serve.
If I have a bowl of ice cream I'm going to want just a couple of toppings; just hot fudge or hot fudge and either raspberries or bananas. NO whipped cream, NO nuts, NO cherries, NO sprinkles. The best part of a hot fudge sundae is when you get to the end and there's still some globs of hot fudge with the melted ice cream. MMM MMM MMM!
Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM

I will not turn down ice cream in any format, but given the choice, i want a cake cone.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Whenever I think of the "cake" cones (I'd call them wafer cones, too), I think of the ice cream cones you'd get at Thrifty Drug Stores. Used to be a nickel for a single scoop way into at least the 80s. Such a bargain. And good ice cream, too. But that's mostly a nostalgia thing. I prefer a bowl. And I'm not a big fan of a lot of toppings.
Me too. And they had those cyclindrical scoopers so you if you had two scoops one would fit perfectly on top of the other.

Anyway, I've always preferred those, though I don't have occasion to eat ice cream away from home much anymore and at home I just use a coffee mug.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

For my entire life, I've been incapable of eating an ice cream cone by licking it. I honestly don't know how people do it. I remember being given a chocolate ice cream cone when I was about 5 years old, and ended up with most of the ice cream melting and running down my arm to my elbow and then dripping all over my clothes and shoes. I'm pretty sure that was the last ice cream cone I was ever given as a child.

So to this day, I order ice cream in a cup. Very occasionally, I'll be handed a cone anyway, so I have to then ask for a cup. (At which point I put the entire ice cream cone upside down in the cup, and still eat it with a spoon.)

In a pinch, a large waffle cone is acceptable, because it basically acts like a cup. I still eat the eat cream with a spoon, though.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
None of the above. The only way to eat ice cream is right out of the container.
In the handy single serve quart size...
Old 01-13-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Bowl. Holds more than a cone.
This.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:18 PM

As someone with a big bushy beard and mustache, an ice cream cone is a disaster waiting to happen. Bowl all the way.

Honestly, I'd rather have a shake.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:20 PM
SDSAB

Usually a bowl - less messy and holds more. But I wouldn't object to a free sugar cone if it were that or nothing.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:07 PM

When I was a little kid, we were pretty poor, and my Dad worked in a big zoo, which had a bunch of food kiosks, most of which only opened in summer- they'd have a clear out at the end of season, and chuck out anything that wasn't going to last 'til next year. Dad would often bring back some of the short-dated but still OK food for us kids.

One day he brought back a case or two of waffle cones. I think there would have been about 200 cones in a case. Now my parents were nothing if not thrifty (at least back then), and I think Mum decided that they were basically cookies, right? So they were dessert, until we'd eaten them up. No ice cream, just the cones. Increasingly soft, bendy cones as the months wore on.

I don't think I've voluntarily eaten one of the horrid things since.

So I'll just have a wafer cone please; I'd go for a bowl, but I always seem to wind up stuck carrying them for an unreasonable length of time before finding an appropriate place to dispose of 'em, and they're too sticky to squish up and put in my pocket.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:09 PM

-double post- I blame the waffle cone trauma

Last edited by Filbert; 01-13-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I was aware of only the sugar cone. To me, an ice cream cone was a sugar cone. I remember the first time I was asked by a Baskin-Robbins server whether I wanted a plain cone or a sugar cone, I was confused. I wasn't used to the idea that there was a choice. I didn't know what was what, but I guessed that the cone that I was used to as being the standard cone must be the "plain" cone. Boy, was I disappointed when I received a plain/cake/wafer cone. I still haven't gotten over that disappointment and I have resented the existence of plain/cake/wafer cones ever since.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:37 PM

If I'm outside on a hot day, the way God intended ice cream to be eaten, I prefer a cone. That way I can eat the whole thing and have no garbage left over. I hate walking around with trash.

If I'm sitting down and eating, I might as well use the bowl.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:46 PM

Soft serve zebra stripe on a suger cone all day long please
Old 01-15-2020, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I’ve always been a bowler and that won’t change.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Preferences of mine, yes.
  • Somewhere with seating: bowl
  • Outdoors at a fair: waffle cone
  • Outdoors on the street: on stick
  • Lazy at home: from the carton
Time, place, temperature, and greed are determining factors. If you own an ice-cream maker, why bother with extra containers? Just spoon it up.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:01 PM

Waffle cone, sugar cone is a close second.
But always, do the bowl first and then get the ice cream.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Honestly, I'd never heard that term either, but I needed to know what to call it and most sites I visited that sounded like they knew what they were talking about referred to them as "cake cones," and only a few "wafer cones," but personally I feel like that's a better, more descriptive name for them.
I was trying to remember what they called them at Baskin-Robbins when I was a kid (in the 1970s). Ascenray's post in this thread suggests they may have just been "plain" cones. That sounds right, but I wouldn't swear to it.

(I always got a sugar cone, because they taste way better, plus they really are cones. I don't think waffle cones were available at Baskin-Robbins back then, but if they were, they cost extra.)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:50 PM

Both!

Love the crunch of a sugar cone (that's what the dark brown pointy one is called, right?), but that means half of it drips on my hand. Especially because the ice cream spots I frequent (Babcock Hall, The Bent Spoon, Belt's) tend to give you huge scoops.

So they give me a cone, top-heavy with Orange Custard Chocolate Chip or Strawberry Basil. And a bowl. I upend the cone into the bowl...

...Best of both (tasty) worlds!