Old 01-10-2020, 12:30 AM

Boarding cats-- anyone? Good or sad results?

We are having a big remodeling done and the first week we will be overseas. We've gone overseas before for a week, and the cats (2), indoor/outdoor with a cat door and plenty of food and water have been fine. Annoyed but fine.

But this time there will be noisy strangers in the house, tearing out walls, banging and hammering. My cats hate everyone but me. They barely tolerate my fella, but after 16 years, yeah, he's OK. But strangers?? Oh hell no, they run off and hide.

When we get back, we expect to stay in an extended stay hotel for a week or so, more noisy strangers and noise.

So I think I should board them. My old man cat, who had a bad kidney infection in August, is 17. The other one is 4.

I need to know if you've boarded cats successfully, how to pick a boarding facility etc. It's not cheap by any means, probably over $1000 for the 2 of them. Any advice you can offer is wonderful and I know "they're just cats" (as my brother says) but they're my loveys. And is it worth the extra $$ to board at a veterinary facility??

Last edited by DummyGladHands; 01-10-2020 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

i'm afraid there isn't any option that isn't going to suck for cats.

if there is a room in your house that isn't going to be worked on, i'd say leave them in there. yeah, they'll be scared, but at least they'll be at home. And they'll have the nights to themselves as well.

Just make sure they have a place to hide in the room you chose if you go that route.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
i'm afraid there isn't any option that isn't going to suck for cats.

if there is a room in your house that isn't going to be worked on, i'd say leave them in there. yeah, they'll be scared, but at least they'll be at home. And they'll have the nights to themselves as well.

Just make sure they have a place to hide in the room you chose if you go that route.
And thanks, that's another possibility. The laundry room, where the cat door is, is a big room, and they could be shut in there for the duration with the cat door closed and a big note on the door for the contractors, but like you said, they'd be scared. And yes, there are plenty of hidey holes in there for them as it doubles as a tool room.

Fret fret fret
Old 01-10-2020, 01:00 AM

I found a fantastic place to board my cat. Here are the things that made it fantastic.

The cat kennels were two-tiered, so the cat could jump. She got to stretch her back legs, which cats really like to do.

>>> It had a window. This was the main thing that sold me on it. She could sit on her top tier and look out the window.

There was a birdcage with some finches in the cat room, so when they weren't looking out their windows, they could watch the birds. The cage was covered at night.

It had a scratching post with several different textures.

There was a fuzzy hammock she could jump to from her top tier.

They could put either clear Plexiglass or black boards between the kennels, so she either could, or could not see her neighbors, depending on how that was going.

There was a small sitting room with a comfortable couch, and for an additional $5/day, an employee would take her there and pet and cuddle her. She is a very friendly cat, who, once she settled in (about 3 days) really enjoyed this. It's optional, though, so if you have Bucky from Get Fuzzy, or one of those cats that your friends have to take on faith exists, you don't have to pay for it.

Every single day she was there, I got a report emailed to me. It told me what the action had been in her litterbox, how much she had eaten, what her demeanor had been, how her petting session went, and about any "events," like a hairball. I could reply to it and ask questions, and I got a couple of photos of her.

They offered me the option of signing a release, so that if she became ill (she didn't), they would take her to the (local) vet of my choice. I had to sign that I agreed that I was responsible for all bills at the vet. She was 10 years old the first time I boarded her, so it was also a very attractive thing.

And finally, although I did not need it, they offered Saturday and Sunday drop-off and pick-up. The hours were limited, but the had them.

Either everyone there was really crazy about animals, or extremely conscientious employees. Maybe both.

Anyway, no one else in town offered everything on that list. Other places offered some, for more money. This place had it all, and while it was definitely not cheap, was not the most expensive place going.

The ONLY drawback was that it's a pretty long drive from where I live-- 30 minutes when there is no traffic, if I use the highway, 45 through town, or during traffic. There are much closer places. But I think this place was worth the drive.

Good luck on your search!
Old 01-10-2020, 01:08 AM

Oh, I forgot to say, I brought my cat her own blanket (carefully NOT washed for a week, so it smelled familiar), plus a T-shirt of mine I'd worn and not washed. The people there thought it was great that I did that, and said yes, the cats that had stuff like that did in fact, settle in faster. My cat isn't big on store-bought cat toys (she'd rather play with my stuff), but if your cats have toys, I'd bring some.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:52 AM

I, too am looking to board my Siamese cats for my hospital stay. I have a shelter volunteer friend who has kept them for me in the past. She's very good and they like her. This will be the longest I've ever spent away from them. They truly don't like the people in my family, much. I feel it's too much to ask them to care for 2 snooty hard to handle cats with all they'll have to do for me. And I have 2 small dogs, as well.
I'm still worried, even with a known catsitter.
But it's the best case.
OP, I would not leave your cats in that situation. I can just see that door opening and cats heading for the hills. I'd board for sure. Ask your vet to recommend one.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-10-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:02 AM

Today I learned that somewhere, somehow, some employee is paid to sit upon a couch and snuggle with cats.

Their high school guidance counselor was way better than mine, for sure.

(Yes, I get that they also have to chart the litter box activity and clean said remnants. But I do these things for free. I'm in the wrong line of work.)
Old 01-10-2020, 04:52 AM

Son and DIL boarded three cats for six weeks while waiting to get into their new home. The people they were staying with were allergic. (They might have handled one cat, but not three.)

It was a great place, with their own room (and they could have had separate rooms if they hadn't gotten along, but they did) with a window, a fish tank in the wall (they couldn't get the fish, but the staff had access somehow), a cat gym that gave them room to run and fake trees to exercise their nails on. It wasn't a vet, but they had access to vet care if needed (which fortunately it wasn't). I'm thinking they got some weekly rate. I know it wasn't cheap.

I believe they searched for "cat hotel" in order to find this place. The cats were none the worse for wear and in fact, became better friends. Two of them were a bonded pair. The third had some problems with the other two and really changed the dynamic. But after driving across the country in the back of a car and then spending six weeks at a cat hotel they were all good friends.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:50 AM

Many years ago, I boarded my three cats for three weeks at their animal hospital while I took a vacation to Alaska. It didn't do them any harm that I could tell.

No, they didn't enjoy it, and the accommodations weren't lush. But my cats' whole lives are a vacation, so I figured they could spend three weeks of unfortunate incarceration while I took a once in a lifetime trip. In every life some rain must fall, and it was the safest place to leave them.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:32 AM

When we've had to, we always board at our vet. If anything happens, they're already there, and it's at least a place they've been before, if not a place they like.

Note that many boarding-only places will not take in cats over a certain age, especially ones that are already sick. 17 is definitely over that age. The vet might be your only option.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:47 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I have to think that being in their own space, even a small section of it, would be less traumatic than going to a totally new place. Would a white-noise machine lessen the impact of the remodeling noises? If at all possible, I vote for familiar over new and strange, FWIW.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I believe they searched for "cat hotel" in order to find this place. The cats were none the worse for wear and in fact, became better friends. Two of them were a bonded pair. The third had some problems with the other two and really changed the dynamic. But after driving across the country in the back of a car and then spending six weeks at a cat hotel they were all good friends.
My place was called a "Pet resort." They board dogs too, but in a different building. They also had one turtle when I visited. They made people wear exam gloves when handling him (and they told me there was a strict policy about washing hands between handling ALL the pets), or his habitat, but he looked pretty well-cared for.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
And thanks, that's another possibility. The laundry room, where the cat door is, is a big room, and they could be shut in there for the duration with the cat door closed and a big note on the door for the contractors, but like you said, they'd be scared. And yes, there are plenty of hidey holes in there for them as it doubles as a tool room.
Without knowing any particulars, that sounds like a horrible idea for both you and them. If I understand correctly, no human would be checking on the cats for ... how many days? At least a week?

What if they knock their water supplies over in a panic, and then get dehydrated? What if the 17 year old cat gets sick? What if one cat knocks over a heavy tool box and it falls on the other cat? Or, what if one of the contractors unthinkingly opens the door and a cat darts out?

I would be completely unable to focus on, much less enjoy, any time traveling if I knew my kitties were going to be shut up in a room without anyone checking on them for more than a day or two.

Yeah, I'm a little nuts that way.

On the other hand, I've had to board cats numerous times due to international moves/quarantine requirements, and the like. The cats always did just fine. It helps if there are two of them together, in my experience. I had two cats that were pretty standoffish towards each other during normal times, but when boarded they suddenly were fast friends
Old 01-10-2020, 01:09 PM

I have boarded many times, and never had an issue. I have to say that I would not trust in their safety in a home being re-modelled. I would be worried that somehow a worker would let them out. I would board them.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 01-10-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:18 PM

I've boarded my two cats (well, one cat now - this was maybe 10 years ago) for a week while on a cruise. I prefer not to board mine and have someone stop in once a day to feed/play with him, but sometimes that isn't an option. The times I have boarded him he seemed fine. I know it's a bit stressful, which is why I prefer to keep him at home (and, duh, expensive), but I never had anything bad happen.

I actually used to work at a vet clinic, taking care of boarders and animals at the clinic for medical reasons. If your place is run like mine, they get food, water and their litter cleaned twice a day, which should be fine (any animals needing more attention were kept in the hospital area). I had one cat from hell there that shoved its way out of the cage and ran around the area in a panic before climbing the friggin window screen. When I pulled him down, HE PULLED THE SCREEN DOWN WITH HIM. He ended up clawing my hand/wrist pretty badly before I shoved him back into the cage. That only happened once fortunately, and HE was just fine - I was the one bleeding like crazy, lol.

If you board them, I'm sure they'll be fine. You can even call in every couple days if you're worried. But generally, while they'll be a bit stressed, they'll recover pretty quickly. Most of the cats I worked with generally didn't seem that scared, tbh. They adjust fairly well.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
When we've had to, we always board at our vet. If anything happens, they're already there, and it's at least a place they've been before, if not a place they like.

Note that many boarding-only places will not take in cats over a certain age, especially ones that are already sick. 17 is definitely over that age. The vet might be your only option.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I used to work for a vet that provided boarding as well, but never for a boarding-only place. I'm not the OP, but my cat will be 18 in April, so that's good to know! I'm glad my default to-go place is the vet.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that. I used to work for a vet that provided boarding as well, but never for a boarding-only place. I'm not the OP, but my cat will be 18 in April, so that's good to know! I'm glad my default to-go place is the vet.
It's a case-by-case, place-by-place thing of course, but when we had an elderly cat with a lot of medical issues (he was roughly 18) and had to board him, a lot of places we tried either flat out rejected him, or they wanted to charge us a huge premium to take him, plus a bunch of other hassles. So we would either hire someone to come in to the house to feed him and check on him if it was just a couple of days, or we'd take him to be boarded at the vet, and they never had a problem with taking him in.

Last edited by DCnDC; 01-10-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:33 PM

To give an idea of what might be out there (I'm in Portland OR, no idea what it might be like in your town) here's the website to the place that, if I ever needed to board my kittehs, I'd probably send them. My groomer used to work out of that space and it looked like Kitty Dizzkneeland every time I dropped off my fuzzbutt to get his lion cut. It's not cheap, but I'd have NO worries about leaving my beasts in this place.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

There are pet "motels" near us. When we were havin our house flea-bombed, we put our cats up.

I thought for sure that Midnight was going to freak out, but the staff told us that Midnight was happy and extremely well-behaved. I'm not sure I ever saw Midnight Happy and Extremely Well-Behaved, and I've long suspected the staff was lying to us. But maybe it was a sobering experience, and she didn't act up in uncertain surroundings. Whatever, the experience doesn't seem to have changed her.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

About two years ago we boarded our 15-year old female ginger while we took a 12 day road trip. Diana loved her family but was not a fan of the rest of humanity. We had only been on the road a couple of days when we got THE CALL; she apparently had a cardiac overnight. I'm convinced she did it to pay us back for torturing her with a new environment when she was an old lady cat that just wanted to be left alone. I still feel guilty about it.

We quickly filled the position with a bottle fed gray tom named Jeff, and he is the most human-centric cat I've ever known. As long as nobody is sticking him with needles he is fine with vet visits, so I don't expect any problems if we ever have to board him.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:57 PM

I would be really worried about leaving the cats in a house full of contractors with none of their humans present.

All it takes is one person on the contractor crew who doesn't see why he should pay any attention to the note on the door, or to any other instructions about 'don't let the cats out.'

But if you have a 17 year old cat, let alone a sick 17 year old cat, who's never been anywhere else but home and is afraid of people who aren't you --

hate to say this, but I wouldn't go overseas for a week. I'd find a good cat-friendly hotel not too far from home, and stay there with the cats until the contractors are gone. Or else I'd stay home, holed up in the room the cats are shut in if necessary to stay out of the way of the contractors.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:58 AM

When my house flooded six years ago I was put up in an extended stay hotel with the dogs but the cats stayed out in the catio and I'd come by every day to feed them and clean the litter box that they seldom used out there because gravel is apparently much better to dig in. The weather was warm, they have plenty of fur anyway, the catio was covered and rain proof and they were perfectly happy with the situation for the three weeks it took to make other arrangements. That was an unusual circumstance and I would not have been comfortable with trying something like that if there were crews working on the house who could potentially have let them escape.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:46 PM

DummyGladHands, are you sure about the price? I lost my sweet elderly Maine Coon, my only non-fish pet, a couple of weeks ago, and because I specifically want another Maine Coon and a Balinese and a kitten from the shelter (the latter two being my plan for this spring since long before Shamus died), I'm not going to have a lot of choice about when I get the two purebred kittens; it could be February, it could be June depending on waiting lists etc. If they're ready to be taken home before my work trip to Austin in May, I'll probably have to board them, so I've looked into both reviews and prices.

Assuming I have all three kittens then, most of the best-rated boarding places here are going to charge me $40 a night for 3, or $30 for 2. For 2 cats for 2 whole weeks, that's only $420 and even 3 cats for 2 weeks would barely be half of what you've suggested boarding your two would cost.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:17 PM

This is the place we use on a regular basis for our two cats when we travel. Scroll down just a bit for a video that gives a good look at the place.

We have always had good service there. Our one cat is diabetic, the place is run by a vet and they handle the 2x daily insulin shots. They don't go so far as to send daily updates, but they do send occasional updates and pictures or videos.

So, good experiences, but it does cost noticeble money, which might be a hurdle for some people. But I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that someone doing remodeling and traveling to Europe won't be put off by the cost?
Old 01-11-2020, 03:37 PM

I board my cat at a local kennel and she apparently loves it as they all gush over her and she always looks very pleased when I pick her up. She learned if she looks cute, behaves herself and lets them handle her she gets tons of attention and petting. And treats.

To find a good one I'd ask a vet. Years ago I mentioned to the vet that she was heading to a kennel and he said, very sharply, "which?" I responded with Wiseman's and he relaxed. " That's a good one. I board my dog there. "
Old 01-11-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
DummyGladHands, are you sure about the price? I lost my sweet elderly Maine Coon, my only non-fish pet, a couple of weeks ago, and because I specifically want another Maine Coon and a Balinese and a kitten from the shelter (the latter two being my plan for this spring since long before Shamus died), I'm not going to have a lot of choice about when I get the two purebred kittens; it could be February, it could be June depending on waiting lists etc. If they're ready to be taken home before my work trip to Austin in May, I'll probably have to board them, so I've looked into both reviews and prices.

Assuming I have all three kittens then, most of the best-rated boarding places here are going to charge me $40 a night for 3, or $30 for 2. For 2 cats for 2 whole weeks, that's only $420 and even 3 cats for 2 weeks would barely be half of what you've suggested boarding your two would cost.
Yeah on the price, the one recommended for my old guy is $40 a nite, but it's a board with vet on staff, and it looks much like the place RivkahChaya uses, little cat condos. My little girl cat is going to a somewhat cheaper place at $17/nite. So it's 2 weeks for both of them - right around $1000.

Icarus, we're far from wealthy, the trips are because we had a catastrophic leak and have to replace our entire bathroom, tearing it down to the studs. Not Europe, rather a week cruising cheap and then a week in an extended stay. Not our choice overall, but we have got to do it .
Old 01-12-2020, 10:14 PM

I sincerely hope you won't mind if I extend this thread to include not just cats but most any kind of animal.

I once had to go out of town for a few days and I took my full sized parrot to a place that advertised they boarded animals. It was a pet store and they boarded any and all diff kinds of animals.

This pet store was only open maybe 12 hours a day. Nothing wrong with that for a pet store. But I really don't like the idea of my pet being locked up in a dark place for 12 hours at a time. I worried about an emergency. If there was a fire or any other kind of emergency, I would want someone to be on the premises always so my pet would have a reasonable chance to avoiding injury.

When I returned to pick up my bird, I noticed she had a bite mark on one of her legs and the asshole who owned the pet store told me in a kind of "off the cuff" way, "Oh we just had a bit of an accident. Someone put her on top of a cage with a bigger bird and that bigger bird bit her leg."

I felt like telling him, "Oh. Well I just had a bit of an accident and I forgot my wallet at home. But it's hardly a big problem since you fucked up her care so badly, you will understand if I don't pay you pending the lawsuit I'm going to give you."

I would like people here to profit from my bad experience.

I suggest that if you are going to board any kind of animal, you should only board it at a place where someone is there at all times and your pet is not locked up at night in the dark.

Also I suggest you should only board your pet in a facility that specializes in boarding that kind of animal. I don't think I would ever again board a pet in a place that will board any kind of animal. There may be some really good places that take good care of your pet and that board several diff types of animals at the same time. But I just get a bad feeling about that. I feel like that just indicates a lack of care.

I don't want to board my bird in a place that also boards cats. Just too easy for an "accident" to occur.

Fucking pet stores just looking for any and every way to suck in as much money as they can and so they are willing to board any kind of animal and they don't care if they provide no care at all for your pet. Really ticks me off!
Old 01-12-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I board my cat at a local kennel and she apparently loves it as they all gush over her and she always looks very pleased when I pick her up. She learned if she looks cute, behaves herself and lets them handle her she gets tons of attention and petting. And treats.

To find a good one I'd ask a vet. Years ago I mentioned to the vet that she was heading to a kennel and he said, very sharply, "which?" I responded with Wiseman's and he relaxed. " That's a good one. I board my dog there. "
That is a wonderful way to find a good place to board your pet. Just ask a vet. They meet all kinds of people and their pets and they must hear about all the good places to board as well as all the bad places.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:48 AM

I used to board my cats at a cage-free boarding facility. They had two large rooms, one for indoor-only cats, one for indoor/outdoor cats. The rooms were filled with custom-made cat structures. As it turns out, since they were all in new environments, most cats didn't have territorial disputes, and would just hang out.

They did have a few isolation rooms where they could put single cats, or pairs, if needed, but most of the time there was no need.

I boarded 6 different cats there, in groups of 2 or 3, at various times, and never had a problem. This included a couple of cats who needed regular medicine.

Alas, they closed down a few year back.

Last edited by Horatius; 01-13-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:54 AM

I just happened to see a news story in today's issue of the NY Post. It's a story (with a video clip) of a house cat that fought off three coyotes. I never knew anything about this story before I saw it today. But I got the feeling that people in this thread - as well as most any cat lover - would really enjoy seeing this story.

I realize it's not exactly "on topic" (strictly speaking), but I thought most people here would enjoy seeing this:

https://nypost.com/video/brave-house...-three-coyotes
Old 01-13-2020, 01:12 PM

Thanks for that video, Charlie! Glad to see the cats win one...although it sounds like he eventually needed rescuing by his people. I live in L.A., and we've had bad coyote problems over the last several years. That's what scares me with the boarding at home idea. Our guy is a dachshund and probably couldn't fight off three at once.

And I did know someone who'd put a sign on the door not to let the cat out, and the ditzy worker "didn't see the sign," the cat got out, and, sadly, was never found. That option would make me really nervous.

Last edited by carrps; 01-13-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:55 PM

I saw that vid, Charley Wayne. My cats go in and out and yes, it's Arizona and we do have coyotes. But coyotes, although they will of course, take a cat, don't much like messing with them when there's easier prey around that won't hit them with teeth and claws and a cat's uncanny knack to defy physics. My cats have managed to avoid being coyote food, and frankly I worry more about cars and people
Old 01-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

We use Cat Country Resort up here. Tonka has been several times. The late Creamsicle liked it. Goo hasn't been yet. They seem to spoil the cats there. The rooms are nice (especially when you get a larger one for two cats) and they have playtime. The rates are very reasonable too.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:10 PM

I get nervous about boarding my cats at the vet. They are closed Sundays so they just have somebody check in a couple of times a day. When I had my diabetic cat I was worried that she was alone for several hours at a time.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:31 AM

I would just like to add a brief note concerning a personal experience.

One evening I was working my part time job in a gas station when I found a female cat. She appeared to be very distressed. I figured she was lost or abandoned. I tried to make friends with her to help her out and she was slowly coming around.

I was holding her in my arms when an air pressure hose somehow became lose from its coupling and emitted a loud hissing sound and part of the hose behaved like a crazed Cobra snake thrashing all around at very fast speeds.

The cat lost her mind. She must have figured she was under some kind of attack. She must have scratched me at least a dozen times in the same number of places on my body. Thank Goodness she never got me in the eyes. I can't blame her at all. I'm sure she felt she was being attacked and just wanted to escape.

As soon as she started scratching me, I tried to drop her as fast as I could. I have never reacted as quickly ever before or since. But she really got me good. My body was covered with many serious and painful scratches. As soon as she hit the ground, she was across the street and disappeared in a flash.

I never ever ever want to get attacked by a cat again. I have often heard about dogs killing cats. But after that experience, I would never want to get into any kind of fight with a cat unless maybe ..... I was in a Sherman tank or something similar. I kid you not. House cats can be the most fearsome and ferocious creatures in the world when they are fighting for their lives.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:14 PM

It started out with me just being annoyed with work this morning, and I started thinking about opening a cat-boarding operation rather than give another minute of my time to an employer. I could totally wrangle 20-50 cats at a time. As the day wears on, I'm failing to think of that entirely as a joke/daydream. Might take some work to talk myself out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I used to board my cats at a cage-free boarding facility. They had two large rooms, one for indoor-only cats, one for indoor/outdoor cats. The rooms were filled with custom-made cat structures. As it turns out, since they were all in new environments, most cats didn't have territorial disputes, and would just hang out.
That makes sense, but I'd still be concerned about someowne introducing a virus to a rotating population. You'd never be rid of it.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 01-14-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:55 PM

Re: viruses. I had to provide all my cats shot records and in addition they took blood to test for feline AIDS and something else I forgot, even though the cats always get their shots every year.

I visited both facilities today. The very $$$ vet run boarding place was nice, each cat has a window and a 2 level 3 room "house." They are also rotated singly to a play area each day with lots of stimulation like toys and it's 3 glass walls, so that's nice. They're going to go ahead a do a dental he needs, he has a broken canine and a broken molar on the other side. I had been hesitating since I didn't want him home until he was fully conscious and my reg. vet couldn't do that since she doesn't board.

And the cheaper place was fine, it's actually the employee break room, kitchen (double closing doors) and when people are up there, they let the kitties out if no cat wars start. And if no one is up there, the cats are let out one at a time to do important cat things.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Re: viruses. I had to provide all my cats shot records and in addition they took blood to test for feline AIDS and something else I forgot, even though the cats always get their shots every year.

I visited both facilities today. The very $$$ vet run boarding place was nice, each cat has a window and a 2 level 3 room "house." They are also rotated singly to a play area each day with lots of stimulation like toys...
That sounds like Cat Country Resort (linked above, with photos). We have to bring in the vax records, and each cat has a window. Only one 'room' but each room has levels. AIUI, the cats are brought out singly for playtime. (Or cohabitating cats are brought out together.) While they are not run by a veterinarian, the owner has been a vet tech and 'We are Veterinary approved. We are able to care for special needs cats requiring medication, shots and special diets.'

I always miss the kitties about two minutes after we drop them off, but it's good to know we have a good place to board them.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:38 PM

I saw the title of this thread and thought, "Boarding cats? What kind of boarding? Skateboarding? Surfboarding? Snowboarding? That could end badly. Or it could result in great YouTube videos."

I now return you to your actual, reasonable discussion on a completely different topic. I have exactly nothing of actual use to add.

Last edited by Scribble; 01-14-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
I saw the title of this thread and thought, "Boarding cats? What kind of boarding? Skateboarding? Surfboarding? Snowboarding? That could end badly. Or it could result in great YouTube videos."

I now return you to your actual, reasonable discussion on a completely different topic. I have exactly nothing of actual use to add.
Thank you. Now I can admit I thought this was going to be about that heavenly torture even the CIA doesn't like to talk about.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
That makes sense, but I'd still be concerned about someowne introducing a virus to a rotating population. You'd never be rid of it.
Quote:

Yes, the place I mentioned was pretty good about requiring vaccination records. This was also why they had separate areas for the indoor-only cats, because the outdoor cats were more likely to have contact with diseases.

And, as mentioned, they did have smaller rooms for single cats if needed, so if there was a particular concern about one cat, they could keep it separate.

I used them for several trips over the course of about 5-6 years, and never had a problem with the cats getting sick as a result of their visit.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:35 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

We board our cats every year when we go on vacation. There's a place in Santa Cruz called Kitty Hill Resort for Cats, and it's wonderful. The cats get their own "room" complete with cat trees, places to hide, and a full-sized "catio" where they can hang out in the sun. The staff loves cats, and they even take care of medical stuff like injections or administering pills (there's an extra charge for that, but it's not bad).

It's not cheap, but it gives us peace of mind when we're away. I can call in every day and they'll give me a report on how the kids are doing. The only thing I wish they had was wi-fi enabled cameras in some of the rooms (again, I'd be willing to pay extra for that) but they're fairly low-tech so I can't blame them for not wanting to go to the trouble.

I joke that if Kitty Hill went out of business, I'd never travel with the spouse again. But given the number of indulgent Silicon Valley pet parents, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Last edited by Infovore; 01-15-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:11 AM

If this was mentioned I apologize because I didn't see it. Is it possible that the cats could just stay at your house and one of the people you're trusting to be in your house anyway could be tasked with daily food checks, water freshened, and visit with the cats for 15 minutes if they would be receptive to that.

I know plenty of blue collar guys could use a little extra coin occasionally, and there's sure to be an animal lover amongst the workers.

With the dollar amounts being spoken about you'd probably still have room in the budget to install a wifi camera in their room and check in on them daily and even speak to them.