Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2020, 11:03 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,719

Oats and wheat germ - Healthy breakfast?


I'm trying to lose a little weight and cut down on my sugar intake. I always eat breakfast and it's almost always cereal on work days.

I typically have Honey Nut Cheerios or Frosted Mini Wheats for breakfast, but I know those are high in sugar, so I'm switching to something that seems a lot healthier and I'm looking for opinions.

I've started eating raw oats (rolled Quaker Oats) and wheat germ with a sprinkling of raisins and walnuts, with low fat milk. I used to have O&WG when I was a kid and liked it, so I figured I'd try it again.

How is that, nutritionally? Should be high in fiber, right? Seems filling, in that I'm not looking for any snacks before lunch. Am I getting sufficient protein and vitamins? Other than the raisins (and it's really only 8-10), should be pretty low in sugar, right?

I nearly always buy lunch, and I'm thinking of making lunch my main meal and eating O&WG again at dinner some days. Anything wrong with this plan? Could it help me lose some weight?

I'll be in and out today, so may not respond to questions and comments until tonight.
  #2  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:25 PM
purplehorseshoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 10,294
Are you eating the oats raw, or cooking them in some way? (This affects bioavailability of many nutrients.)

You could also consider regular Cheerios (in the yellow box, the old-school kind we all ate as toddlers) since it's more like your original breakfast but without all the sugar.
__________________
I can haz sig line?
  #3  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:37 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Are you eating the oats raw, or cooking them in some way? (This affects bioavailability of many nutrients.)

You could also consider regular Cheerios (in the yellow box, the old-school kind we all ate as toddlers) since it's more like your original breakfast but without all the sugar.
I eat it all raw.

I considered that, but plain Cheerios are so boring.
  #4  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:43 PM
SuntanLotion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: mentor ohio
Posts: 224
True-Cheerios=boring.
Have you considered hard boiled eggs?
__________________
He fell into the upholstery machine but hes fully recovered now.
  #5  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:43 PM
filmore is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,774
RitterSport, there's nothing wrong with you. No need to replace all that delicious chocolate with oats and wheat germ. Instead, try more hazelnuts and marzipan

I have that same breakfast pretty much every day and I think it's great. It's filling and I don't feel hungry for a long time. My store sells oatmeal with wheat germ already in it. Is that what you have or do you add your own wheat germ? A pinch of salt does wonders for making it taste great.
  #6  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:46 PM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,645
Did you do a comparison using the nutritional data found on the packaging or online? It would be easier for you to do it than for us to guess what amounts, brands, etc.
  #7  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Trancephalic's Avatar
Trancephalic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,039
Whole milk may be a better choice as it can keep you more satiated than low fat/skim, meaning less calories in the long rub.

Dunno about oats, though, especially as most options are heavily processed, including "old fashioned" rolled oats. More processed is like skim, in that it's less satiating. Steel cut oats are too damn expensive in comparison though.
  #8  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:03 PM
nelliebly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,373
I like chopped walnuts in with my plain Cheerios. They add flavor, and they complement the oaty taste. They also add protein, fiber, healthy fat, Omega-3, and magnesium. Cheerios, like all ready-to-eat cereals, doesn't fill me up or keep me satiated. The walnuts help.
  #9  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:12 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
RitterSport, there's nothing wrong with you. No need to replace all that delicious chocolate with oats and wheat germ. Instead, try more hazelnuts and marzipan

Heh. I wish I could eat nothing but my namesake.

I have that same breakfast pretty much every day and I think it's great. It's filling and I don't feel hungry for a long time. My store sells oatmeal with wheat germ already in it. Is that what you have or do you add your own wheat germ? A pinch of salt does wonders for making it taste great.
I add it separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Did you do a comparison using the nutritional data found on the packaging or online? It would be easier for you to do it than for us to guess what amounts, brands, etc.
I don't measure it out anyway. About half a bowl of rolled oats, sprinkle on a fair amount of wheat germ, a few raisins, a small handful of chopped walnuts, and then enough milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
Whole milk may be a better choice as it can keep you more satiated than low fat/skim, meaning less calories in the long rub.

Dunno about oats, though, especially as most options are heavily processed, including "old fashioned" rolled oats. More processed is like skim, in that it's less satiating. Steel cut oats are too damn expensive in comparison though.
Can you even eat steel cut raw? Anyway, I don't like them because they taste like barley to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
I like chopped walnuts in with my plain Cheerios. They add flavor, and they complement the oaty taste. They also add protein, fiber, healthy fat, Omega-3, and magnesium. Cheerios, like all ready-to-eat cereals, doesn't fill me up or keep me satiated. The walnuts help.
Yeah, definitely. I've been adding that to all my cereal for a while now. Supposedly promotes a healthy gut, as well (cite).
  #10  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:54 PM
filmore is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,774
For the rolled oats you have, what is the suggested cooking time? I would think truly raw oats would be harder to digest and your body wouldn't be able to process everything. But the 1-minute oats are pre-cooked and then dried out, so if you use those, you are eating cooked oats. I would assume your body could fully process them.
  #11  
Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
For the rolled oats you have, what is the suggested cooking time? I would think truly raw oats would be harder to digest and your body wouldn't be able to process everything. But the 1-minute oats are pre-cooked and then dried out, so if you use those, you are eating cooked oats. I would assume your body could fully process them.
It's not just the cooking time, it's the time for it to cool down before I can wolf it down. I don't have all that extra time in the AM. Plus, if I screw up my routine in any significant way, I'll forget to take my wallet or brush my teeth or wear pants or something.
  #12  
Old 01-09-2020, 04:06 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 86,406
You're not going to get all the nutrients you need from that breakfast. But then, you don't need to. Breakfast is but one meal of three, and the nutrients you need can be spread out over a span of days or longer. To say how healthy your diet is, we'd have to know all of it, not just breakfast.

In any event, you are getting a fair amount of useful nutrients from your breakfast, and not much that you'd want to avoid. It'd certainly be easy to incorporate it into a healthy diet.
  #13  
Old 01-09-2020, 06:13 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 27,631
Who likes Oat groats?

I still do. To the max! But I make 'em with a pressure cooker now; less supervision and stirring. Soak 'em the night before and then cook 'em for at least 20 minutes and they're oaty, groaty, chewy, and flavorful. And rich with fiber. They fill you up.

Processed steamed, rolled oats cook up easy, but they're lower in fiber and studies suggest they lack the possible cardio benefit of less process oats, like steel cut or my groats.

Just fyi . . .
  #14  
Old 01-10-2020, 06:38 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
You're not going to get all the nutrients you need from that breakfast. But then, you don't need to. Breakfast is but one meal of three, and the nutrients you need can be spread out over a span of days or longer. To say how healthy your diet is, we'd have to know all of it, not just breakfast.

In any event, you are getting a fair amount of useful nutrients from your breakfast, and not much that you'd want to avoid. It'd certainly be easy to incorporate it into a healthy diet.
Thanks! This is really what I was looking for (and hoping to hear). I imagine it's no worse than Honey Nut Cheerios in terms of nutrition I'm getting, and probably better in terms of fiber and sugar content.
  #15  
Old 01-10-2020, 04:31 PM
filmore is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Processed steamed, rolled oats cook up easy, but they're lower in fiber and studies suggest they lack the possible cardio benefit of less process oats, like steel cut or my groats.
Cheerios touts its oat fiber as being good for heart health and maintaining good cholesterol levels. Seeing as it's processed even more than rolled oats, I wonder how much good it actually does.
  #16  
Old 01-11-2020, 07:51 PM
actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,491
After being low-carb and keto/ketoish for quite some time, I recently started eating oats mostly for the fiber and satiety compared to other carb sources.

I only eat one meal a day or one meal and a snack a few hours apart. This works best for my health and schedule. So I don't do breakfast but I have it as part of my dinner or dessert. Sometimes I mix it with baking cocoa and peanut butter. Other times I have it with mixed berries. So, I think it's "healthy" but it depends what else you are eating all day. For me I'm using it as a healthier option than pasta or potatoes. I've never been a fan of sugary breakfast cereals.
  #17  
Old 01-11-2020, 08:33 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 27,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Cheerios touts its oat fiber as being good for heart health and maintaining good cholesterol levels. Seeing as it's processed even more than rolled oats, I wonder how much good it actually does.
Diets high in oat fiber may be beneficial from a heart standpoint. But benefit derives from amount of fiber.

1 cup of Cheerios has 3 grams of fiber.

1 cup of oat groats has 17 grams of fiber.

  #18  
Old 01-13-2020, 03:29 AM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,292
I don't eat much during the day, but I have recently decided to have a small snack in the morning of cooked steel-cut oats with a sprinkling of nuts and dried fruit of some type, and a scoop of greek yogurt on top. Small portions. I cook the steel-cut oats and let cool in a small rectangular container, and refrigerate. When it's time to use them, I cut a 1" wide piece as a base for my nutty yogurt sundae....I figure it's better than my usual breakfast, which is either nothing, a bite of leftovers from whatever we had for supper last night, or a piece of the last of the Christmas candy or cookies.
  #19  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:26 AM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,292
I heat the oatmeal in the microwave, of course.
  #20  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:12 PM
swampspruce's Avatar
swampspruce is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cool Pool
Posts: 4,677
Nothing saying you can't make steel cut oats the night before and nuke it the next day. Add a handful of berries and a dash of buttermilk or whole milk and you have a reasonably healthy breakfast.
__________________
Life is an economy. Where everything must be traded for something else and the value of all things rise and fall with the amount of attention and effort you put into them. -Mark Manson
  #21  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:21 PM
Ruken is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 7,917
"Healthy" is a low-meaning term, so it's hard to answer the OP.
  #22  
Old 01-16-2020, 06:37 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,719
OK, so I finally actually measured out the cereal and this is a very calorically dense breakfast! I put in the standard servings, or whatever portion of a serving that I would actually use (fewer raisins, more oatmeal) and I'm getting 500-700 calories at breakfast. This is much higher than I would get from Cheerios, even Honey-Nut Cheerios (about 150 calories/cup, plus the milk).

So, I guess I'll finish off my stock and go back to Cheerios. I'll try and get used to just plain Cheerios with milk.

Here's what I measured:

3/4 cup oatmeal: 200
2 tbsp wheat germ: 40
1/4 cup walnuts: 200
raisins: about 40 (don't use nearly the 1/4 cup serving size at 120)
3/4 cup 2% milk: 100

In practice, I would use about half the walnuts, but more oatmeal and more milk. So, that's 580 from the above, and somewhere north of that if I don't carefully measure, no doubt.

Lots of fiber, though!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017