Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Old people! Sucking the fun and joy out of young people's lives!! Muwahahaha!!!

So I'm leaving work this morn. A group of four 20-somethings are ahead of me. They're horsing around with each other. There are two on the outside of the door; holding the door shut so that the two on the inside of the door can't leave work.

All the younglings involved are laughing and having a good ol' time.

Then along comes me. A 49yo balding fatso. As I approach, the two on the outside (the two on the inside haven't noticed me because they have their backs to me) eyes got wide as saucers: "Dude chill!" as they look right at me.

The two on the inside now notice me, and suddenly, the laughter is gone and the silence is deafening! The defeated younglings hang their heads in shame as they make their way to the parking lot.

Ah, life's little pleasures.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 AM

Walmart, three days ago: A toddler was attempting to stand up in the shopping cart baby seat. I put out my hand, blocking completion. He was shocked, then dismayed. Looked like the mother was, too. Sensing a possible situation developing, I retreated and high-tailed it.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Walmart, three days ago: A toddler was attempting to stand up in the shopping cart baby seat. I put out my hand, blocking completion. He was shocked, then dismayed. Looked like the mother was, too. Sensing a possible situation developing, I retreated and high-tailed it.
You're lucky the mother didn't report you for an attempted abduction.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:13 AM

20 something seems a little old for that kind of horsing around.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:20 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
20 something seems a little old for that kind of horsing around.
I thought twenties was the new tweens . . .
Old 01-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Working with many twenty-somethings every day, I get to be The Harsher of Mellows on a daily basis. One in particular is always trying to come off as . . .edgy? cynical? . . I don't know, but he's always expressing ridiculous thoughts like

" Party City really only does business during Halloween. I mean, I can't image what reason anyone would have to go there during the rest of the year" Which I then explained, old lady style, that there are lots of occasions people celebrate / decorate for.

I can't imagine that Christmas in Australia is very fun. It's all sunny and not very Christmas like. So I had to point out that he is born in raised in West Central Florida and asked how does he manage the lack of winter wonderland.

He'll usually say something snarky like "well,WOOK certainly torpedoed my theory" and I know he's thinking "mind your business, fogey".
Old 01-15-2020, 12:54 PM

After Mr VOW and I retired from the State of Confusion, we had a series of eff-ups and unforseen crap. We ended up living with our children (one of whom was a brand new son-in-law) in their home, where the kids paid all the bills.

It was a whole lotta bad going on for us, but the spark of joy was our kids stepping up.

~VOW
Old 01-15-2020, 01:37 PM

I have no edge. The kids and pets always hang with me. I just get treated like another. Mostly everyone wants to Mother me. Kinda nice, actually.☺️

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-15-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I can't imagine that Christmas in Australia is very fun. It's all sunny and not very Christmas like. So I had to point out that he is born in raised in West Central Florida and asked how does he manage the lack of winter wonderland.
You know, it's actually Halloween that's REALLY buggered about by being in the wrong season. You try looking spooky and mysterious at 8pm trick or treating when it's still full daylight and a cheery 20C.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:16 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
You try looking spooky and mysterious at 8pm trick or treating when it's still full daylight and a cheery 20C.
At least you don't need to worry about the heartbreak of having to wear a winter coat over (or under) your cool costume.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
You know, it's actually Halloween that's REALLY buggered about by being in the wrong season.
Either you mean "bugged" or that really, really bothers you!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Reads perfectly fine to me.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Then along comes me. A 49yo balding fatso.
You mean you don't look exactly like your avatar? I'm so disillusioned.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 PM

Sometimes stories are so Mundane and Pointless you shouldn't share them.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Sometimes stories are so Mundane and Pointless you shouldn't share them.
Aaah, but there's the rub. Pointing out that something is pointless may actually EXCEED the pointlessness of that which is pointed out.

Glad to help.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:22 PM

Not sure if this fits into the thread or not. On the subway train this week, the usual detente of riders quietly using their personal technology to avoid interaction was broken by a man -- younger than me but apparently in his 30s -- pointing at me and laughing and loudly proclaiming to his associates "That man has glasses and still has to squint at his phone!" Much grade-school hilarity was had at my expense for foolishly choosing to be myopic.

Is mid-30s "young?" Is taunting someone's disability "joy?"
Old 01-16-2020, 01:44 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

I teach high school. Sucking the fun out of Life is in my freaking job description!
Old 01-16-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Not sure if this fits into the thread or not. On the subway train this week, the usual detente of riders quietly using their personal technology to avoid interaction was broken by a man -- younger than me but apparently in his 30s -- pointing at me and laughing and loudly proclaiming to his associates "That man has glasses and still has to squint at his phone!" Much grade-school hilarity was had at my expense for foolishly choosing to be myopic.

Is mid-30s "young?" Is taunting someone's disability "joy?"
Anybody over 10 who does that is just exposing their arrested maturity level. Are you sure the guy wasn't mentally challenged?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
Anybody over 10 who does that is just exposing their arrested maturity level. Are you sure the guy wasn't mentally challenged?
Very sure. Classic elementary school bully comments by several of them.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I teach high school. Sucking the fun out of Life is in my freaking job description!
I remember you! Your name was Mr.Richardson... He was also the teacher I probably would most likely be if I was a teacher instead of a tech, though.

Last edited by swampspruce; 01-16-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Either you mean "bugged" or that really, really bothers you!
A very typical Antipodean turn of phrase.

(Infamous) Toyota ad.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:09 PM

Some fifty years ago Road & Track ran a quiz. One question asked for the Great Australian Interjection. They were too delicate to print "bugger" with the vowels, just asterisks.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:03 PM
Suspended

I've never had the opportunity to suck joy from anyone's life. Did I miss a training program?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:45 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Never been married, have you?

Old 01-19-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
I've never had the opportunity to suck joy from anyone's life. Did I miss a training program?
Have you ever been the cause of someone stopping doing something stupid or dangerous? Same thing.

Twenty-somethings seem to have some sort of disconnect about causality. Last year, one at work was terminated for harassment. Though we don't distribute sex toys, we process returned merchandise for places that do. He left a sex doll with a dildo inserted in it on a woman's desk. The counter-argument from his cohort about this injustice was that we all see such products from time to time. That he didn't destroy the items immediately like you're supposed to isn't the problem. That he set up a little scene for a female co-worker had no bearing. The possibility that she has seen/might see such products in a less suggestive tableau made him blameless.

So months later, we get returned a toy parrot that says things like "Polly want a blowjob!" when you walk near it, and I spend nearly 10 minutes explaining why it would be a bad idea to leave this on a female supervisor's desk "for fun." After all, it's not their fault what the parrot says, they didn't make it, how are they to blame? "I think HR would focus on the part where you knuckleheads installed batteries and trekked across a quarter-mile of warehouse to leave it in another dept. for a female employee rather than destroying it like you're supposed to."