Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
You sure that's the right corner in Winslow? I don't see a girl in a flatbed Ford.
Well, he said they'd never be there again.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Before the prison, stop at Broderick's Roadhouse and order a Johnny Cash burger with scrambled eggs and bahn-mi fries. It deserves strong beer. Then head north on CA.49, the Gold Rush route, up to Grass Valley and CA.20 and turn west, across foothills and Central Valley and inner ranges, then over the redwood-laden Coast Range to Noyo Harbor. Eat superb BBQ seafood at The Q. Stroll the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens.

If you want to continue westward without drowning, take a boat. Then bring it back.
THIS. And also this:

If you make it all the way to California, and your heart's desire is to simply go for very looooooong very scenic drives that could take a whole day or more, you have two good choices:

(1) Route 49 as described above. Starts in the hills near Fresno, and continues way north well beyond Sacramento. Take CA-20 west, as suggested, all the way to the coast. ON YOUR WAY, pass through Williams, CA on I-5 north of Sacramento. You guessed it: There's another world-famous glider port there!! Check it out!

Continue west on CA-20 over the mountain. It passes by Clear Lake, which you might want to visit. From there, continue west through mountains and valleys and redwoods as suggested to the coast.

OR: At Clear Lake, head south on CA-29 which takes you to Calistoga at the north end of world-famous Napa Valley, at the foot of volcano Mt. St. Helena (not to be confused with Mt. St. Helens, that volcano in Oregon that blew up in 1980). Home of spa/resort places galore where you can get the full-body mud baths and massages, etc. If you're into hiking, you can hike a trail all the way to the top of the mountain. And right on the main street of Calistoga you can even see a big empty field that used to be a glider port years ago!

From there, there a lot of directions you can go!

(2) Your other good choice for a looooooong scenic drive: Once you get to State Route 1, the coastal route, however you got there: Take that. This is a long road, much of it hard-by-the-water's-edge that runs more-or-less continuously from far northern California all the way to Los Angeles, passing through all the coastal cities and lots of farmland, mountains, forests, and seascapes. ETA: I'd recommend those portions of SR-1 from the Russian River in Sonoma County (another famous wine-growing region) south as far as Santa Barbara. I think an optimal road-trip would consist of taking US-101 with lots of side-trips back-and-forth over to the coast and portions of SR-1.

Last edited by Senegoid; 01-16-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:14 PM

When the kids were young, we made a trip to Oregon for Mr VOW's mother's funeral. On the way home, we tried to make it a vacation-type trip. We decided to take CA-1.

Gorgeous, gorgeous scenery, no doubt. But the highway is a HARD drive. We had to stop more than once because of carsickness of one or more occupants. At one point, Mr VOW said HE was carsick. I swear, at least one or more curves was 270!

When we weren't thinking about barfing, we all were in awe of the redwoods. It was like traveling back in time.

~VOW
Old 01-16-2020, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Easy peasy.

From Texarkana:
Take I-30 west to Dallas
Fly from Dallas to Tokyo
Fly from Tokyo to London
Fly from London to New York
Fly from New York to my home town. I'll pick you up at the airport.

Rules lawyering - you never said you had to drive all the way from Texarkana, only that you had to go west.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:58 PM

You're right I never said.
I like your trip.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
[Re: Driving on CA-1:] Gorgeous, gorgeous scenery, no doubt. But the highway is a HARD drive. We had to stop more than once because of carsickness of one or more occupants. At one point, Mr VOW said HE was carsick. I swear, at least one or more curves was 270!
Someone (was it you?) likewise made a similar remark a few years ago in a thread on the subject.

Note that I did suggest taking CA-1 from the mouth of the Russian River and south of that. That's why. Portions of CA-1 from the Russian River northward are wild crazy. South of that, not so much and only for some short-ish stretches.

I've seen people driving motor homes there. Now THAT'S CRAZY!

Last edited by Senegoid; 01-17-2020 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Pfft! You don't need no stinkin' directions to my place. Just keep heading toward the glow in the sky. 'Tis my beatific presence. Or possibly a nuclear reactor. Hard to tell the difference.

Oh damn. I thought that was the Northern Lights!

~VOW
Old 01-18-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Oh damn. I thought that was the Northern Lights!

~VOW
IN the sense that I live in a northern state and generate a beatific glow, I guess you could say I am the Northern Lights.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:12 AM

Nellie you are one bright lady!
I know this to be true.
So much for fighting ignorance. We have Nellie. ()
Old 01-18-2020, 01:38 AM

To find my abode you should set your steps not westward, but to the north. Head north, and north again, 'til eternal the blizzard covers your footsteps, and continue, past where the ocean is held forever stilled in winter's grip, onwards, 'till it seems as if time itself will freeze over. There you will see a great hall built of whale bones, with the entrance flanked by banners woven out of moonlight and rainbows. Push open the door, which is made of frozen souls and studded with stars, and we shall hold a feast that even the gods will sing of.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regallag_The_Axe View Post
To find my abode you should set your steps not westward, but to the north. Head north, and north again, 'til eternal the blizzard covers your footsteps, and continue, past where the ocean is held forever stilled in winter's grip, onwards, 'till it seems as if time itself will freeze over. There you will see a great hall built of whale bones, with the entrance flanked by banners woven out of moonlight and rainbows. Push open the door, which is made of frozen souls and studded with stars, and we shall hold a feast that even the gods will sing of.

Is that next door to Superman's Fortress of Solitude?

~VOW
Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 AM

Nah, it's next ti Santa's house. Downwind from the reindeer stables.
"Where's them widdle elves?"

(Damg, them things bite)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-18-2020 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Someone (was it you?) likewise made a similar remark a few years ago in a thread on the subject.

Note that I did suggest taking CA-1 from the mouth of the Russian River and south of that. That's why. Portions of CA-1 from the Russian River northward are wild crazy. South of that, not so much and only for some short-ish stretches.

I've seen people driving motor homes there. Now THAT'S CRAZY!
We lived around the crook of the Russian River for many years. River and Westside roads are great for pedaling. We drove our car south along the coast because it's crowded, and took various 25-foot RVs north for quite a ways because it's easy. Don't be in a hurry, is all. But watch for poison oak, ground wasps, and rattlesnakes.

Keith Richards visited a local commune. Off in the brush to drain his lizard i.e piss, a rattler struck! Right in the vein! Emergency medical help was called, but no use - within a half hour, that snake was DEAD!

Be careful around North Coast grocery dumpsters. Sasquatches can be bothersome.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:38 PM
Elephant Whisperer

You'll need one of those movie cars that turn into a submarine.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:25 AM

Bigfoots (feets?), dumpsters, submarine cars. Jeez! I've been in the same place way too many years.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-19-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:51 AM

Change of plans: I'm going to be located just off the I-215 freeway in Riverside County, California. I'm in the waiting room of the Loma Linda University Medical Center--Murietta.

You are still most welcome to use the house in AZ!

~VOW
Old 01-19-2020, 11:06 AM

I there with you ~VOW! Hang tough.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regallag_The_Axe View Post
You remind me of an RPG I used to play as a kid on my C64, the the requirement for being a Bard was that you had to be a Warrior first.