Old 01-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin_Fever View Post
Question is in title.

As a fan of old time movies. I am pleasantly tickled by the new releases (sorry, I lag behind current trends).

My vote is for Robert Downey Jr.

No offence to Mr. Basil Rathbone. Arthur Wontner. Rhys Ifans, and for some strange reason John Cleese (yes, he played Sherlock for one episode on TV. Good luck finding a clip of that. If you do, share please).
I concur but he only had two films, so maybe he cant compete with Rathbone. My big complaint with the Rathbone films is that they made out Watson to be a doddering, blithering idiot.

Cumberbatch is also good.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I actually really like Johnny Lee Miller in the TV show Elementary. He is perfectly aloof and smug like Brett.

I dont think Elementary actually counts.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Holmes and Watson bursting into laughter as Jabez Wilson finishes his story in “The Red-Headed League?”

Holmes obviously bouncing with cocaine in “The Musgrave Ritual?”

The great boxing scene in “The Solitary Cyclist?”

All Jeremy Brett. I concur that this series best synched with the Canon, but little touches like the above are what really put it ahead of the pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdd3_qx6Eqw
Old 01-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I dont think Elementary actually counts.
Why not? The character's name is Sherlock Holmes, he solves mysteries with his friend Watson. The show incorporates Doyle's stories in to the scripts.
How is this not a portrayal of Sherlock Holmes?

Does BBC's Sherlock count?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:41 PM

I'm conflicted with Basil Rathborne's Holmes. I think his demeanour was perfect in being serious and studious but with the element of a wise-crack in him, but Nigel Bruce's Watson was an affable oaf who at times come across inconveniencing Holmes.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I pretty much agree with this. I quite enjoy Cumberbatch but he's a distant second.

While I like Downey as an actor, I find his versions the least Holmesian.
This. The Downey versions were too bombastic, noisy, and frenetic for me...just another couple of dime-a-dozen action movies with the Holmes name slapped on them.

I don't think of the Cumberbatch series as "real" Holmes, but more a sideways look at the character in a contemporary milieu. A lot of fun. I just adore The Abominable Bride episode.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
This. The Downey versions were too bombastic, noisy, and frenetic for me...just another couple of dime-a-dozen action movies with the Holmes name slapped on them.

I don't think of the Cumberbatch series as "real" Holmes, but more a sideways look at the character in a contemporary milieu. A lot of fun. I just adore The Abominable Bride episode.
Bolding mine.

This is why I haven't watched the Downey movies. The trailers made it look like a Marvel action movie under the guise of Sherlock Holmes. That's not the Holmes I'm familiar with. I may check them out some time, but I'm in no hurry.

Last edited by Personal; 01-17-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
Bolding mine.

This is why I haven't watched the Downey movies. The trailers made it look like a Marvel action movie under the guise of Sherlock Holmes. That's not the Holmes I'm familiar with. I may check them out some time, but I'm in no hurry.
Everything Holmes did in those films was backed by canon, for example his boxing skills.

Holmes also only wore the deerstalker hat once that we know of and didnt use that curved Calabash, he used a clay pipe most often.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:22 AM

Based on the recs in this thread I bought the entire Brett series on Amazon Prime. It was a bit pricey $70 but it is amazing. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-18-2020, 05:06 AM

Brett, then Cumberbatch. Downey isn't bad, but the films directed by Guy Ritchie are stupid beyond belief.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
I'm conflicted with Basil Rathborne's Holmes. I think his demeanour was perfect in being serious and studious but with the element of a wise-crack in him, but Nigel Bruce's Watson was an affable oaf who at times come across inconveniencing Holmes.
Basil Rathbone was the classic Holmes, though I agree his genius was at times impeded by Nigel Bruce, the worst Watson ever.

The great thing about subsequent Holmes movies was that Watson was allowed to be something other than a bumbling jackass.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Everything Holmes did in those films was backed by canon, for example his boxing skills.

Holmes also only wore the deerstalker hat once that we know of and didnt use that curved Calabash, he used a clay pipe most often.
I'll take your word for it on the accuracy of the movies because I haven't seen them, but there's no need to lecture on the hat and the pipe, whether it be Calabash or Meerschaum and the reasons they're a part of Holmes lore. I think everyone in the thread is likely familiar with those points.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Hands down, Jeremy Brett.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:47 PM
SDSAB

Jeremy Brett, hands down, although I enjoy Benedict Cumberpatch too.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Brett, then Cumberbatch. Downey isn't bad, but the films directed by Guy Ritchie are stupid beyond belief.
This is why I dislike those films so much. Downey is an excellent actor (as is Jude Law) but Guy Ritchie just ruins everything. See also his King Arthur nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Basil Rathbone was the classic Holmes, though I agree his genius was at times impeded by Nigel Bruce, the worst Watson ever.
Rathbone seems to be the one who set the look for Holmes.