Old 01-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Comparing gaming laptops...

We're trying to choose between gaming laptops. The specs we want are 17.3 inches screen i7-9750 processor . The problem is that when we find the specs we want, it has a much less graphics card, usually GTX 1660 Ti. On the reverse, we're finding the graphics card RTX 2070, but it tends to be paired with 8750. We want the laptop to be competitive for at least the next ten years. So would it be better the get the option with the better graphics card or the one with the better processor. We want to keep the price around $1500 or less.

In comparison, we have this Alienware-
https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-Gam...dp/B07PDJLGL5/
with a great graphics card but lesser processor,
contrasted with this, where the processor is better but the card is not-
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-SCARIII-...dp/B081C3VF36/

Thanks for your help.

I'm closing the other thread.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:46 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Since you are looking specifically for a gaming laptop, let's move this to the Game Room (from IMHO) where folks will be more familiar with games and hardware requirements.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:34 PM

Get the 2070 version. For most games, graphic cards are more important. I don't believe there's much difference between 8750 and 9750, and these days top of the line processors stay relevant for years.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:37 PM

I have been doing some research, looking for my next gaming laptop.

This is about 6 months old, but the 2070 seem to be only marginal over the 2060,
https://www.techspot.com/review/1804...x-2060-laptop/

Quote:
To our surprise, the RTX 2060 isn’t much slower than the RTX 2070 Max-Q on average. We’re talking 4% slower on average, with some games clocking in faster than what is supposed to be a higher tier GPU. This could place prospective RTX 2070 Max-Q buyers in an awkward position.
Always take with a grain of salt as things are constantly changing and being tuned, But personally, I'm not really looking at 2070 because of the cost/benefit over 2060 doesn't seem good from what I'm finding.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:44 PM

Just to be clear that is only the laptop versions of those cards, the Desktop version of 2060 v 2070 is a whole other beast.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone know about the Eluktronics brand?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081XT9KLJ...rHxYB3G_w&th=1
Old 01-05-2020, 05:29 PM

I don't think there is a meaningful difference between those CPUs given there's only a 100 MHz difference between their all-core turbo boosts.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that graphics card quality outweighs processor speed, especially when the processor speed difference is not that significant.

A friend did complicate matters by noting that her AMD processor made a significant difference but that a gaming laptop using AMD with a Nvidia graphics card was not common. What's the consensus here?

We're still intrigued by the Eluktronics laptop above but that is a new brand to us and we have no idea about its reputation.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
Yeah, the consensus seems to be that graphics card quality outweighs processor speed, especially when the processor speed difference is not that significant.
This is generally true. It's possible to bottleneck with a high end GPU and a cruddy CPU but that's a "I'm upgrading the GPU in my six year old computer" issue, not a buying a new laptop issue.

Quote:
A friend did complicate matters by noting that her AMD processor made a significant difference but that a gaming laptop using AMD with a Nvidia graphics card was not common. What's the consensus here?
AMD CPUs can play fine with Nvidia GPUs. You usually don't see them mixed in a laptop because AMD is usually the 'cheaper' option and once you decided on a lesser priced AMD CPU, it stands to reason that you'd pair it with a relatively less expensive AMD GPU. It's more common to see a "premium" Intel CPU with an budget-friendly AMD GPU than to go the other way around with the economics. But a laptop with an AMD processor and Nvidia GPU wouldn't worry me on any technical basis (and AMD CPUs are roughly equal to Intel offerings these days in most cases).

Quote:
We're still intrigued by the Eluktronics laptop above but that is a new brand to us and we have no idea about its reputation.
I'm not familiar with them though the few reviews I read suggest that they're okay. You're maybe doing a little better than "you get what you pay for" but $1,500 isn't a ton in gaming laptop budgets so it's not as though it's going to compete with the high end ASUS and Razers. Still, it looks as though if that's your budget then Eluktronics isn't a bad way to spend it. Pity they don't seem to be available in store to actually see a display or give the keyboard a whirl.

Last edited by Jophiel; 01-05-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

10 years is too long of a timeframe for gaming hardware, unless one is playing the same games in 10 years as one is today. CS:GO anybody?
Old 01-05-2020, 08:20 PM

I have an AMD processor in my desktop with an Nvidia card. It works fine.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

I failed to mention- in the OP comparing the Alienware and the ASUS, that the ASUS does indeed have double the memory.
To what extent would it make up for the lesser graphics card?

We are wondering about replacing graphics cards in gaming laptops? Can that be done?
Every time I look for graphics cards by themselves, they seem to be only for desktops.
Where do I go if I just wanted to purchase a laptop graphics card?
Old 01-05-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
I failed to mention- in the OP comparing the Alienware and the ASUS, that the ASUS does indeed have double the memory.
To what extent would it make up for the lesser graphics card?
In this instance, probably none. 16GB is more than sufficient, 32GB is (for most non-graphic workstation applications) just overkill.
Quote:
We are wondering about replacing graphics cards in gaming laptops? Can that be done?
Assume not. They're generally not intended to be and are often soldered to the boards. When you're buying a laptop, assume that the GPU in there is the GPU it'll die with (aside from solutions like external GPU housings).
Old 01-05-2020, 11:20 PM

What games/genres do the users like? Does it need to be a laptop?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I have an AMD processor in my desktop with an Nvidia card. It works fine.
I have the same combo and have had no issues for almost a year now. Ryzen 5 paired with a GTX 1060 card.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 AM

there are things as reviews, maybe try to find those and decide by them.. I know ASUS brand, but not Alienware, so I would probably go with ASUS
Old 01-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirik View Post
I know ASUS brand, but not Alienware, so I would probably go with ASUS
Alienware is just Dell's gaming machine brand. They were an independent PC builder before 2006, but it's unlikely you'd have heard of them before then.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the assistance, everyone- we ended up going with this
HP Omen Gaming 17-an179wm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Omen-Gam...D/233324483918

We're now looking for a keyboard cover & also a replacement for the back cover of the top part of the laptop.
I think I've found the cover but not sure where to look to see how much it would be to replace the back/top cover.

I appreciate the assistance!
Old 01-19-2020, 04:42 PM

I’m having trouble finding a replacement for the back cover. I’m seeing 15” replacements but not for the 17”.

Do you need an actual replacement? I see decals that can cover the lid if you just want a different appearance.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Im having trouble finding a replacement for the back cover. Im seeing 15 replacements but not for the 17.

Do you need an actual replacement? I see decals that can cover the lid if you just want a different appearance.
Thanks. We actually did find a back cover. I took the radical step of looking up the actual manual, finding the part number, and seeing some available on eBay.