Old 01-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Are we really going to have a Qatar World Cup?

I always thought the World Cup would end up being pulled from Qatar. It obviously hasn’t yet. But with extra tension in the Middle East, is it really going to stay there? It’s getting kinda close to needing to make a decision. Qatar was an awful choice anyway and we all know how they won, but who would want to travel there now?
Old 01-07-2020, 01:45 PM

At a minimum they will up security. They could move it this year to a place with a lot of stadiums and hasn't hosted lately or is not scheduled to host.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:24 PM

They've spent so much now building new stadia that realistically it is going to go ahead unless there's something like an all-out war (or if Iran don't qualify).

With a couple of months notice though I don't think England would have much trouble hosting the whole tournament if need be.

I'd be doubtful whether the players, media and spectators would be safer here than in Qatar though.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:00 PM

A thousand migrant workers/slaves died in Qatar building the infrastructure, and FIFA still didn't pull the plug.

FIFA, like the IOC, couldn't care less about human rights. It'll take a 3rd Gulf War to yank the World Cup away.

Yeah, England should be the place. Then "football's coming home," even if only in name and not in championship hardware.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:03 PM

I agree FIFA doesn't care about human rights but they may care if sponsors pull out .
Old 01-08-2020, 10:12 PM

They’ve been hosting the FIFA World Club Championship and I have not heard about any hitches.

Also remember the World Cup will be in November where the average high temperature is 86 and nighttime temps should be in the reasonable 70s.

Anything can happen, anywhere but the Qatar World Cup will go on as scheduled without any major problems.

One thing I always notice whenever the World Cup or Olympics are held in a Western white country, theres never a concern. Hold them in South Africa, Brazil or a Middle Eastern country OH MY GOD THEY NEED TO BE CANCELLED. Let’s not forget one of the most corrupt Olympics ever were held in Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2020, 10:25 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. If my brown ass had said that, would have been hell to pay.
I see that nonsense about “slaves dying” from 2015 is being regurgitated.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:35 AM

The time to reconsider Qatar was when Russia won its bid and some people were rightfully concerned about the optics of two autocratic nightmares in a row getting the world's biggest soccer event. Guys, the warning signs were there from day one. If FIFA didn't give a rip then, I don't see what difference a bit of skulduggery in Iran is going to make. There's going to be beefed up security for certain, and getting to and from the venue is going to be an even bigger hassle than usual, but other than that, I don't see how they can respond other than "the show must go on".

And yeah, there's a good chance there are going to be protests, players are going to be concerned about their safety, and overall it's going to be a highly unpleasant experience for a lot of people. Then again, the World Cup that everyone remembers as a fun, festive, frivolous, carefree, happy-good-times experience was the most hideously and shamelessly rigged one in its history, with the host nations getting a gazillion undeserved calls and at least two nations getting royally screwed, so choose your poison, I guess.

Here's hoping everyone comes out of this alive and whole.

russian heel - I don't think the Olympics are a good counterexample. For the entirety of the Cold War, this was most nakedly corrupt sporting event that's ever existed, so it didn't really matter a damn where it was held. I'd argue that Atlanta was the first non-horrifying one and Sydney was the first actually good one.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:22 AM

It's the end game of a blatently corrupt process, cancelling it would be an admission of guilt on FIFA.

However, the temperature as a problem seem to now be getting dismissed. Is playing in 86 degrees F normal? I suppose it does give advantages to certain countries with warmer climates.

The blockade might make a massive difference too. Qatar are also being seen as pretty much an enemy of the likes of the Saudi, which makes you a terrorist nowadays in this binary world.

Also the lack of alcohol might well cause a lot of problems. While the likes of russia had the possibility of arrest if you got out of hand, basic possession of it in Qatar never mind buying it, is illegal.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:45 AM

The idea that FIFA would speak up about corruption is laughable. The last thing they want is to increase awareness of how corrupt the system is, since they're right at the heart of it.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:37 AM

As bad as I believe our American sports hierarchies are -- and I loath each and every one of them -- they can't hold a candle to FIFA's awfulness. Fortunately, the leagues' historical structures, particularly the ladder prevalent in most countries, prevents the governing organization from doing its absolute worst.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:00 PM

I'm all for the FIFA W.C. being held in different countries from different regions but I was always very suspicious of Qatar being chosen as a host country even before all the controversies involving human rights came to light. Actually, I've lost interest in that tournament over the last few years (mostly because it's dominated by European teams these days and I don't see a South American team winning it again any time soon) so it's just as well. At most I'll probably just check highlights of matches out on YouTube (as I did last time).
Old 01-10-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
It's the end game of a blatently corrupt process, cancelling it would be an admission of guilt on FIFA.

However, the temperature as a problem seem to now be getting dismissed. Is playing in 86 degrees F normal? I suppose it does give advantages to certain countries with warmer climates.

The blockade might make a massive difference too. Qatar are also being seen as pretty much an enemy of the likes of the Saudi, which makes you a terrorist nowadays in this binary world.

Also the lack of alcohol might well cause a lot of problems. While the likes of russia had the possibility of arrest if you got out of hand, basic possession of it in Qatar never mind buying it, is illegal.

“It is an offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public. British nationals have been detained under this law, usually when they have come to the attention of the police on a related matter, such as disorderly or offensive behaviour. Alcohol is available at licensed hotel restaurants and bars, and expatriates living in Qatar can obtain alcohol on a permit system. Don’t carry alcohol around with you (except to take it on the day of collection from the warehouse to your home). The legal drinking age in Qatar is 21, and establishments serving alcohol will ask for original photo ID upon entry.”-UK Government

I would think alcohol restrictions should be one of the last things to disqualify a country from hosting the World Cup. That said, there will be opportunities to imbibe and if you act like a drunken ass in even the most Westernized country, you risk arrest.

As for the temperatures, if they remain normal for the climate, they will be lower that many of the harsh temperatures that were part of the 90+ degree heat wave that broiled the World Cup in 2006 held in Germany.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:34 AM

They just had the Spanish Cup in Saudi Arabia yes? And the World Club Cup thereabouts somewhere.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
I'm all for the FIFA W.C. being held in different countries from different regions but I was always very suspicious of Qatar being chosen as a host country even before all the controversies involving human rights came to light. Actually, I've lost interest in that tournament over the last few years (mostly because it's dominated by European teams these days and I don't see a South American team winning it again any time soon) so it's just as well. At most I'll probably just check highlights of matches out on YouTube (as I did last time).

I can not argue with this as Qatar and the last three hosts have questionable human rights records. This disturbing trend needs to be addressed in future rewards, including Mexico as part of the 2026 bid.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post

Not being a soccer fan, I'm only peripherally aware of the World Cup (though I knew it was in Qatar). But high heat and stifling humidity were a huge problem when Doha hosted the IAAF Track and Field Championships in September. Conditions were so bad that the IAAF scheduled the marathons to start at midnight. Even then, the women's race was 90 degrees and a heat index of 105. Of course, the soccer games will be in stadiums, where it's a little easier to control the climate.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 01-22-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Not being a soccer fan, I'm only peripherally aware of the World Cup (though I knew it was in Qatar). But high heat and stifling humidity were a huge problem when Doha hosted the IAAF Track and Field Championships in September. Conditions were so bad that the IAAF scheduled the marathons to start at midnight. Even then, the women's race was 90 degrees and a heat index of 105. Of course, the soccer games will be in stadiums, where it's a little easier to control the climate.
We're fucked.

Facing unbearable heat, Qatar has begun to air-condition the outdoors
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ning-outdoors/
Old 01-22-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. If my brown ass had said that, would have been hell to pay.
I see that nonsense about “slaves dying” from 2015 is being regurgitated.
I've seen plenty of cities for that "nonesense" -- I'd be very interested in a cite for your claim it isn't true.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
I've seen plenty of cities for that "nonesense" -- I'd be very interested in a cite for your claim it isn't true.

It came from a Washington Post blog and was repeated as a fact everywhere.
However, it was misleading.
Quote:
The posting, published on 27 May, claimed that 1,200 people had died in Qatar since 2010 during the construction of the country’s World Cup facilities. And it forecast that 4,000 will die before the country stages the 2022 football competition.

But were the figures in its striking infographic correct? Since it was first published, the blog has been amended. In its latest manifestation, a line has been appended saying:

“This story has been updated to reflect the fact that figures include total migrant worker deaths in Qatar, not just World Cup-related deaths”.

That followed complaints from the Qatar government that the blog was wrong. The figures were estimates for the deaths of Qatar’s total immigrant population (numbering more than 1m) for whatever reasons: old age, diseases, strokes, heart attacks, suicides, road accidents and other accidents.
In other words they listed the deaths of all migrant workers between 2010 an 2015 no matter the cause or location.
So if someone drowned in the Villagio Malls canal , even if they were a 70-year-old retiree, that was co8nted as a "World Cup" related death.