Old 08-25-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Whoever in the MLB office that insists on mandating that teams wear silly special uniforms at various times throughout the year needs to leave his job and go work designing clothes for Barbie dolls. It the teams want to dress like rejects from Don Cherry's closet, let it be their choice. These mandated uniforms this week are a joke.
Amen, brother. These black versus white uniforms this weekend are ridiculous. The names are unreadable on the white uniforms; of course, who wants to read nicknames anyway?

I watched the Royals play at Cleveland this weekend. KC, as the visiting team, wore the white uniforms. Right now I'm watching the Yankees play in LA. Yankees, as the visiting team, are wearing the black uniforms. Makes zero sense.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Thank you! I paid decent money to see two games this weekend of the Cubs vs Nats.

Couldn’t read anything on the uniforms, and who the Hell is buying those? I took a quick glance at the Cubs team store and didn’t even see them for sale.

Ok, maybe the nicknames are funny to the players. I’m very familiar with both the Cubs and Nats so at least I knew the players. Someone visiting Wrigley for the first time with only a casual interest in baseball would have been lost.

And, in general, I’m sick of the alternative uniforms dominating in sports. I get it, $$$$$. But still, a sports team shouldn’t have more changes than a Broadway show.

Oh, and get off my lawn!
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 PM

Did anyone who's been watching the Braves catch what Melancon's "nickname" was? Because I only saw it briefly but it looked like some kind of squiggly design on the back of his jersey, rather than letters spelling out something.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:25 PM

According to MLB.com it was “MUH LAN SON”.

https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-play...kend-nicknames

In the past at least once it was “STRETCH”.

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/20...weekend-jersey
Old 08-25-2019, 11:23 PM

Was there a reason for the Spy vs. Spy uniforms? Was it meant to emphasize the custom cleats, gloves, bats etc.? I did notice that all black really is slimming. Dave Roberts got it right, though:

Quote:
Itís not our finest moment, wearing these all-white, milkman uniforms. But it is what it is.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Red Sox got rick-rolled and beaten by the Padres yesterday. A masterful prank.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:33 PM
Your Ad Here
Charter Member

The nicknames were a fun idea I wouldn't mind seeing again for a weekend in future seasons. The monochrome was a terrible idea made worse by the inability to read anything. Doing both at once means no one talks about the good idea, just the bad one.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 PM

I don't even like the nicknames much, but the monochrome uniforms was especially stupid.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I don't even like the nicknames much, but the monochrome uniforms was especially stupid.
Seriously.

Home Team: White pants, white jerseys, white socks. Black hats, black lettering.
Visitors: Black Pants, black jerseys, black socks. White hats, white lettering.

Just a little contrast and it's all okay (still stupid, but okay stupid, not monumentally stupid).
Old 08-27-2019, 10:41 AM

I saw a pitchout a couple days ago. Pretty rare sight, along with hit and run plays. The days of Billyball were a heck of a lot more fun to watch than todays snoozefest of waiting for someone to hit a homer. Perhaps modern managers have found a way to maximize wins but at the same time minimize the entertainment value of the game.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:59 PM

Very true.

Only exciting thing left is base stealers.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

And every now and then someone bunts (not often enough).
Old 08-27-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
And every now and then someone bunts (not often enough).
Nothing quite as exciting as seeing 3+ pitchers in the same half inning is there?
Old 08-27-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Nothing quite as exciting as seeing 3+ pitchers in the same half inning is there?
I would revise the proposed the must pitch to three batters rule. I say if you replace a pitcher in the middle of the inning he gets only 1 warmup pitch on the mound. He should be warmed up in the bullpen so give him one toss to get comfy on the game mound and that's it. Pitching changes take too long per change. Limiting the number of relievers per team will be a HUGE step in the right direction. Late in the game the manager looks down the dugout and sees his #2 catcher plus 2 other guys. Pinch hitting is another lost art.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Sure. And each pitch has to have at least three feet of arc.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:57 PM

Reports are that David Glass is in talks to sell the Royals to John Sherman, Indians vice-chairman.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 08-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I saw a pitchout a couple days ago. Pretty rare sight, along with hit and run plays. The days of Billyball were a heck of a lot more fun to watch than todays snoozefest of waiting for someone to hit a homer. Perhaps modern managers have found a way to maximize wins but at the same time minimize the entertainment value of the game.
Stolen bases are at historically average levels right now. There were certainly more in the 1970s and 1980s but that era was really unusual. Last year the MLB stolen base leader was Whit Merrifield with 45. In 1949, the season so wonderful David Halberstam wrote a book about it, the average TEAM stole 46. And that's only because Brooklyn pushed the average up.

There is no avoiding the fact that stealing bases is only a good idea if you're successful the vast majority of the time (and the BillyBall A's were, in stolen base terms, basically just Rickey Henderson; aside from him, they were middle of the road at best in terms of stealing.)

A manager's job is to win games, not appease Goose Gossage or whatever old goat doesn't like baseball now compared to the way they played in back in the olden days. If you want to change the game to make it more exciting, you need to change the rules (which in principle I am totally fine with) and rules meant to increase base stealing, while certainly quite possible (limiting pickoff throws, for instance) are probably not the first things you'd want to change. Pace of play and too many strikeouts are the biggest current problems, in my opinion.

I found this on SI:

"The average game in 1988 took two hours, 45 minutes and gave you 57 balls in play and 11 strikeouts. The average game today takes 19 minutes longer and gives you 49 balls in play and 17 strikeouts."

So we are being asked to spend more time watching less action. Strikeouts are generally very boring. It used to be cool if the home pitcher was really racking up a huge K total, but today it's just routine for that to happen. Gerrit Cole, a very fine pitcher but maybe not yet on anyone's Hall of Fame shortlist, already has 14 10-K games this year; he strikes out at least ten men in more than half his starts, and this is a guy who doesn't have any complete games. Bob Gibson in his amazing 1968 season had just ten 10K games. Steve Carlton in his historic 1972 season had nine.

All those strikeouts are not only dull, but they reduce the value of defensive players; if you have fewer balls in play, the skill of the fielders has less impact on the game. (More home runs exacerbates that problem, too.)

Last edited by RickJay; 08-28-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:06 PM

Noah Syndergaard is getting rocked in New York. 8 runs allowed through 1.2 innings vs the Cubs
Old 08-28-2019, 10:11 PM

this article is a bit worrying for dodger fans https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...iew/ar-AAGllWA

Apparently, the Dodgers are getting known for not being able to win the big games ..

should dodger fans be worried like the article suggest ?

Last edited by nightshadea; 08-28-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
this article is a bit worrying for dodger fans https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...iew/ar-AAGllWA

Apparently, the Dodgers are getting known for not being able to win the big games ..

Platschky is a tool who makes a living hating the Dodgers in print.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Noah Syndergaard is getting rocked in New York. 8 runs allowed through 1.2 innings vs the Cubs
And yet somehow the Mets are within striking distance in the 9th.

I love the Cubs and really hope they make the playoffs, but this is not their year absent a miracle.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
His ass is in the jackpot.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

The Red Sox are only 5 out of the wild card, with all of September left. Cleveland is fading, and Oakland is still Oakland, even if Tampa Bay is for real. It ain't over yet, even with Sale out and Porcello sucking and the bullpen belonging in Pawtucket. Price is coming back Sunday, and we'll see. They may need to score 7 runs every game to win, but they've been doing it.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 08-29-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post

I'm worried for two reasons one the playoffs are a crap shoot and its really easy to lose any single series, and our bullpen terrifies me. I don't think that yankees weekend showed anything special since we were hardly running out our A team, heck the game we won was started by a rookie who will be luck to benin the pen come the playoffs.

Ryu has had a tough couple of starts and I think the league is figuring out bueller a bit so their regression is to he expected. Kershaw is have his best season in two or three years though so its not like our starting pitching has disappeared. I think our offence has suffered a bit by focusing more on the home run and less on average and I was glad to hear Doc say that he'd talked to Bellinger about getting more hits and focusing less on power. Now that we've ended the Joc at First experiment I think most roles are as settled as they can be and our defence looks good.

Will we win the world series? Probably not but I'd agree with 538 that the dodgers have about a 25% chance to and that's pretty wonderful and if not we're still looking at another 100+ win season again next year and another division title. Which keeps me happy outside of October and who know maybe with urias, may, gonsolin, maeda going to the pen it'll turn around like they plan
Old 08-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Tyler Skaggs died choking on his own vomit under the influence of opioids and alcohol. Still while its no surprise to people who grew up with him in Santa Monica, Ca its still shocking and senseless. Better drug screening might have saved his life.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:29 AM

The Nats just pulled off a last-minute comeback in the bottom of the 9th against the Marlins, after a tie run off of a fantastic hit at the top of the inning. That was the second of two winning bets I'd placed on Friday (I'd bet on the Cubs against the Brewers too, although I didn't see the game because I was out fishing) and I was not expecting it to be so close - I am really liking the Nationals this year, even though their team doesn't have quite as much personality as the Mets or the Braves.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Zobrist is back with the Cubs. This is still one of the oddest stories of the year. I’m very sorry he’s getting a divorce but he’s still a MLB ballplayer and a decent utility player that can play just about every position. My gut feeling is that he’d considered retirement, but decided to come back and help the Cubs down the stretch run and the playoffs.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:15 PM

Justin Verlander faces just 28 batters to get his third no-hitter, his second in Toronto against the Blue Jays. It was a close game all the way, the Astros didn't put up the winning runs until the 9th inning (they only had three hits going into the top of the ninth) so it was really a pitchers' dual throughout the afternoon.

It was a great performance by Verlander and he joins just 5 other pitchers to have thrown 3 no-no's.

Now we have to catch the Yankees for best record in the AL.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

New thread.