Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
Let us not forget that she did her cooking show with her husband... Johnny.

(For non-UKians, that's a euphemism for condom.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermette View Post
Not in my experience. As a female child, if I'd said "fanny" in front of my parents, I'd have expected to be told off for saying a rude word. Both it and willie[1] were our childish swear words.

I don't think we knew the grown up versions, so to us these were the height of rudeness, and yes, if a teacher had to read them out, the class would dissolve into hysterical laughter.

[1] Penis. We loved the film Free Willy over here, oh yes
We're familiar with willy, johnson, etc here in America, too.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
We're familiar with willy, johnson, etc here in America, too.
I don't think I've ever heard Johnson used. Given most UK kids grow up using Johnson & Johnsons bath products, I'm sure that would've been a source of great mirth if we had that one

Is it true that Peter is another one for penis?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 AM

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!, "johnny" means "condom". We don't use "Johnson" for penis.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Right, I'm just saying that if I heard something along the lines of "a johnny, wink wink", I'd understand it has something to do with penises. Or anything with peter, too.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM

As a word for female genitalia Fanny is quite innocuous and funny, it has returned to its rightful place as a mild rude word, UK women are quite at home discussing their Fanny related matters with each other.

Australians however, being the uncouth, sun baked primates that they are, have some appallingly disgusting words for the front ladyparts which I won't repeat in case there are women or people from Canadia present.

Actually since we are on the subject of Transatlantic words, the mild swearword Bugger in the UK has a more sexual connotation than the N. American use of the word.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Right, I'm just saying that if I heard something along the lines of "a johnny, wink wink", I'd understand it has something to do with penises. Or anything with peter, too.
Yeah, but if you thought it meant penis then you'd get a rather different image when told that someone saw a johnny discarded in the gutter.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
I think your friend is taking the mick or very, very prudish, because although opinions on it do vary some, it's definitely nowhere near as strong as the c-word.
There are some people who are indeed very prudish. My dad and his wife, for example, (USA), won't let their kids say: fart (has to be "flitter"), butt ("bottom"), hell ("heck") and several others I can't think of. Additionally, when they were teaching their kids the names for the parts of their bodies, they never told them a name for their genitals, but rather let them make one up. All five kids settled on calling it their "pottier"...

So I can easily believe of a family so prudish that even if on a cultural level "fanny" isn't considered that bad, it may be within a given family.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:44 PM

I once saw on an American programme (family one as well), a man complaining about how he'd been shagging his fanny all day..........................

And he was COMPLANING !
Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 PM
SDSAB

I heard "tallywhacker" mentioned only rarely in my idyllic NE Ohio youth, as a self-consciously rural, semi-humorous term for the penis.

"Fanny" was a completely tame and childish term for the buttocks, male or female, that you might use without fear of punishment in front of an adult.