Old 08-28-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
You know if Donald could suspend Congress AND the Supreme Court, he'd do it in a nanosecond.
He **can** dismiss Congress under one circumstance. If there is a dispute about its adjournment, he can adjourn them to a time he deems fit.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:47 PM

Apparently Puerto Rico deliberately gets in the way of those pesky hurricanes he's not allowed to nuke: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...l8JAzCgdf_n5Wc

Quote:
We are tracking closely tropical storm Dorian as it heads, as usual, to Puerto Rico. FEMA and all others are ready, and will do a great job. When they do, let them know it, and give them a big Thank You - Not like last time. That includes from the incompetent Mayor of San Juan!
Even our own Smapti can't top the real thing...
Old 08-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Hush, you. You’re only encouraging him.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:23 PM

I think he wants to put Puerto Rico on the market.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Apparently Puerto Rico deliberately gets in the way of those pesky hurricanes he's not allowed to nuke: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...l8JAzCgdf_n5Wc
Mayor Cruz fired back:
Quote:
Trump needs to be quiet, ‘calm down’ get out of the way and make way for those of us who are actually doing the work on the ground. Maybe Trump will understand this time around THIS IS NOT ABOUT HIM; THIS IS NOT ABOUT POLITICS; THIS IS ABOUT SAVING LIVES.
He needs to make way for those who are actually doing work, period.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Trump claims that he's "the best thing that's ever happened to Puerto Rico!"
Old 08-28-2019, 02:21 PM

Not to poop on the mayor in his time of concern, but he sure sounds naive:
"Maybe Trump will understand this time around..."
Now there's a knee slapper.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:21 PM

Will Fox News viewers prove to be more loyal to Fox News or to Trump?

Fox News is evidently "not working for us anymore", according to Trump.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Not to poop on the mayor in his time of concern, but he sure sounds naive:
"Maybe Trump will understand this time around..."
Now there's a knee slapper.
Yeah, trump will never admit a mistake or do anything but double down on whatever erroneous statement he’s making at any given moment. There’s no point in anyone even pretending that trump can or will ever “learn” anything.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Butt-Hurt Trump Takes to Twitter Again

BTW bobot the SJ mayor’s a “she”. Nasty, of course, to hear DJT say it.

And may I mention, the hurricane is actually hitting the US Virgin Islands harder, but hardly anyone pays attention while distracted with the Trump/Cruz shtwitstorm.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 08-28-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:07 PM

Apologies to the mayor. By the way, I just got a call from a guy named Trump. He want's to know if America is responsible for the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
Will Fox News viewers prove to be more loyal to Fox News or to Trump?

Fox News is evidently "not working for us anymore", according to Trump.
Willful ignorance is powerful with the Trump supporter.

Trump’s Followers Believe His Lies About the Wall

No evidence—not even from Fox News—can shake their faith.

Quote:
By the time Trump arrived, fact-checkers had demolished this lie, pointing out that the wall had no effect. But Trump told his followers to dismiss the numbers and trust him instead. And they did, because this is a measurable fact about Trump supporters: They’re willing to reject all other sources of information—crime statistics, intelligence agencies, even conservative media—when the president tells them to do so.

Trump’s message was a recipe for incurable ignorance: Reject all contrary evidence as biased. Reject anyone who reports that evidence. Rely on your leader’s anecdotes. Trust the uninformed consensus of your friends. Respond automatically. And ignore anyone who says you’re a sucker. You’re not being credulous. You’re being vigilant against the fakers. You’re “the smart ones.”

This is insanity. But among Trump supporters, it’s the norm. Consider recent surveys on public trust in data. A year ago, an Economist/YouGov poll asked, “How many of the statistics reported by the government are reliable and accurate?” Most people who had voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 said most government figures were accurate. Only 15 percent of Trump voters agreed. Half of Trump voters said they trusted little to none of the government’s figures. Only 29 percent of adults as a whole said they considered Trump honest and trustworthy, but 74 percent of Trump voters did. That’s five times the share of Trump voters who said they trusted statistics collected by the government.

Trump’s followers don’t just scorn the liberal media. They dismiss any reporting that contradicts the president, even if it comes from outlets they normally trust. In July, an NPR/PBS/Marist poll asked, “Who do you trust more: your favorite news source or Donald Trump?” For respondents on the political right, this question pitted Trump’s credibility not against CNN or the New York Times but against friendly sources such as Fox News. Nevertheless, these respondents picked Trump. While voters as a whole trusted their favorite news source over Trump (62 percent to 29 percent), Trump supporters chose the president, 65 percent to 24 percent. Among Republicans, the gap was even wider: 70 percent trusted Trump more than they trusted their favorite news source.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post

Yesterday, he tweeted "Another big storm heading to Puerto Rico. Will it ever end?"

Yeah, Puerto Rico is jumping in the path of hurricanes just to spite him.

By the way, you could substitute "Florida" for "Puerto Rico". You don't see him whining about all the aid we have to send to Florida...
Old 08-28-2019, 03:25 PM

I just can't stop recalling how the R's used to criticize Obama for "giving a good speech," as if that were a bad thing. They don't say that about Trump...
Old 08-28-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Attacking Fox News and lumping them with CNN and MSNBC doesn't appear to be a sound strategy, but what do I know?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...11516701347842
To Trump "sound strategy" means doing some random thing because to him it sounds like a strategy.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post

Quote:
Trump’s followers don’t just scorn the liberal media. They dismiss any reporting that contradicts the president, even if it comes from outlets they normally trust. In July, an NPR/PBS/Marist poll asked, “Who do you trust more: your favorite news source or Donald Trump?” For respondents on the political right, this question pitted Trump’s credibility not against CNN or the New York Times but against friendly sources such as Fox News. Nevertheless, these respondents picked Trump. While voters as a whole trusted their favorite news source over Trump (62 percent to 29 percent), Trump supporters chose the president, 65 percent to 24 percent. Among Republicans, the gap was even wider: 70 percent trusted Trump more than they trusted their favorite news source.
Well that's perfectly terrifying.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post

Trump’s Followers Believe His Lies About the Wall

No evidence—not even from Fox News—can shake their faith.
Are we to the point where it can be called a cult?
Old 08-28-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

If Trump ever does hold a Flavor Aid ceremony, his marks will be elbowing each other out of the way to be the first to take a slurp from their MAGA hat.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM

Well, the faith of the Midwestern farmers, hurt by the tariffs, is starting get a little shaky.

-God
Old 08-28-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Are we to the point where it can be called a cult?
Fine, just don't call them 'stupid'.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Fine, just don't call them 'stupid'.
What about "deliberately ignorant"?
Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Well, the faith of the Midwestern farmers, hurt by the tariffs, is starting get a little shaky.
It's all Obama's fault... somehow...
Old 08-28-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It's all Obama's fault... somehow...
If this is easier than admitting that they fucked up royally, they will take this path.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
If Trump ever does hold a Flavor Aid ceremony, his marks will be elbowing each other out of the way to be the first to take a slurp from their MAGA hat.
I'll help keep it orderly; wouldn't want any of these folks to get hurt before they have a chance to kill themselves for a good cause.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-28-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
... The market is gonna tank there is a big recession coming, and just like the start of the Great Depression, Trump's tariffs will only make it happen sooner and make it worse. And he's doing it for the following reasons ...
  • To attack the Fed Reserve board and bully them into lowering interest rates - so HIS outstanding loans are cheaper to pay off (not that he EVER pays off any debts anyway)
Well, he might be a bit more motivated than usual to pay off the loans, if they were made by Russian oligarchs. Those guys will defenestrate you for non-payment.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:47 PM

For some reason, he tweeted out satellite imagery or Iran. There is speculation that the blacked out part on the top left is likely the classification status of the image, and that much of the detail of the image itself gives Iran information about our capabilities and knowledge of the site.

Not to mention, that the flash in the center of the image sure gives me the impression that someone is just taking cell phone pics of classified material and tweeting it out.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
...Not to mention, that the flash in the center of the image sure gives me the impression that someone is just taking cell phone pics of classified material and tweeting it out.
I've long assumed that this was Jared's main daily occupation. How else could he be expected to make a buck?
Old 09-03-2019, 02:31 PM

Oh, for christ's sake.

The original tweet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump gets it wrong
In addition to Florida - South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama, will most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated. Looking like one of the largest hurricanes ever. Already category 5. BE CAREFUL! GOD BLESS EVERYONE!
And everyone points out that Alabama is not in danger. Does Trump just let it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump cannot be wrong
Such a phony hurricane report by lightweight reporter @jonkarl of @ABCWorldNews. I suggested yesterday at FEMA that, along with Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, even Alabama could possibly come into play, which WAS true. They made a big deal about this....when in fact, under certain original scenarios, it was in fact correct that Alabama could have received some “hurt.” Always good to be prepared! But the Fake News is only interested in demeaning and belittling. Didn’t play my whole sentence or statement. Bad people!
Didn’t play my whole sentence or statement. It's right there in your tweet. He is such a fucking asshole. (That just can't be said enough.)
Old 09-03-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
Oh, for christ's sake.

The original tweet:

And everyone points out that Alabama is not in danger. Does Trump just let it go?

Didn’t play my whole sentence or statement. It's right there in your tweet. He is such a fucking asshole. (That just can't be said enough.)
If more than ten seconds had passed since the tweet, then he already forgot what he said. Can't be expected to remember everything!
Old 09-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Maybe he got Alabama and Bahamas confused.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Quite plausible.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
By Jove, I think you're right! Many of the same letters. Who knew spelling mixed with geography could be so hard?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
He also said it to reporters at the White House, and at a press conference. Maybe he completely forgot about the tweet. Um...And the fact that all of them were false.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
By Jove, I think you're right! Many of the same letters. Who knew spelling mixed with geography could be so hard?
I think he just started naming southern states. Sort of surprised he didn't include South Dakota.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Butt-Hurt Trump just can't let it go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie Artist in Chief
Alabama was going to be hit or grazed, and then Hurricane Dorian took a different path (up along the East Coast). The Fake News knows this very well. That’s why they’re the Fake News!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 AM

I don't understand, if Alabama was going to be hit or grazed, and it wasn't, does that mean Trump was wrong about something? But he's saying he's right about being wrong? Or was he wrong about being right?

Man, it must be tough to keep all these lies straight.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:49 PM

President Sharpie just tweeted two more supporting his "Alabama was going to get hit and I am right!". One of them forecasted Alabama could've been slammed with brutal 10-20MPH winds. Wow, did they ever get lucky to avoid that certain destruction!
Old 09-05-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
President Sharpie just tweeted two more supporting his "Alabama was going to get hit and I am right!".
1. 'Alabama was going to get hit!'
2. Alabama was not hit.

Therefore, 3. 'I am right!' is false. He is not right.*

*Note different meanings for 'He is not right'.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Trump's insanity can now be sung in the Dorian mode.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:58 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Trump's insanity can now be sung in the Dorian mode.

There's a rapper going by the stage name Dorian. Maybe he'll dis on Trup in his next song.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
President Sharpie just tweeted two more supporting his "Alabama was going to get hit and I am right!". One of them forecasted Alabama could've been slammed with brutal 10-20MPH winds. Wow, did they ever get lucky to avoid that certain destruction!
Alabamans should immediately stock up on water, fuel, and kites.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:05 AM

If I lived down there, I'd start selling "Alabama Hurricane Survivor" T-shirts. But they might be too expensive due to the tariff.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 AM

And I suspect all of this started because his phone autocorrected Bahamas to Alabama, he probably missed the “B” when he was typing and it changed it to Alabama. But he won’t admit that he was wrong, of course. Cofeve all over again.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:35 AM

I think he just looked at an early Cone of Uncertainty that did include Alabama, and never bothered to update his information before tweeting. And, of course, once he made his mistake he has to go all in defending his earlier statement...because to admit he was wrong is not an option.

Last edited by jsc1953; 09-06-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
If I lived down there, I'd start selling "Alabama Hurricane Survivor" T-shirts. But they might be too expensive due to the tariff.
Maybe someone should start a GoFundMe to help Alabama, the latest victim of the president's stupidity.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:05 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Maybe someone should start a GoFundMe to help Alabama, the latest victim of the president's stupidity.

Self-inflicted, if you ask me. Tan the Conman carried that state in 2016.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:09 AM

There's also the possibility this is a political calculation by Trump; he does have feral political cunning. I think Trump tweeted the other day that he cares about Alabama's peril and The Fake News does not. Apparently, his approval ratings are near their max in Alabama:

Trump's All About The Base, But He Likely Needs More Than That — Here's Why

Quote:
Many heads got scratched this week when President Trump doubled down on his erroneous claim that Alabama had been in the path of Hurricane Dorian.

The question had to be asked: Wouldn't it be enough to be worried about Florida, Georgia and the rest of the Southeastern coast without dragging in Alabama — a state outside the current danger zone?

Perhaps. But in seeking to understand the moment it was tempting to observe that Alabama is arguably the cornerstone of the president's base of support in seeking a second term.

While 17 states have consistently shown the president at 50% job approval or better, according to Gallup, Alabama is one of just three states where Trump's approval has often topped 60% since Inauguration Day. According to the Morning Consult tracking poll, Trump's approval is 18 points positive in West Virginia and 21 in Wyoming. In Alabama, it is 26, and Alabama has more votes in the Electoral College than those two other states combined.
Of course, the simplest explanation may just be Trump's a narcissistic imbecile who can't ever admit he's wrong.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

The longest news cycle of the Trump Presidency gains another day...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...794535432?s=19
Old 09-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Only a crazy person capitalizes the word "crazy" in the middle of a sentence.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Oh, it's worse than that. He made a Homeland Security Advisory (a general, no less) put out a statement taking all the blame on himself.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1169727684286529538

Why are people willing to do this? It's mind boggling.