Old 02-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Spinach. To be fair though, the parental units only ever cooked that awful stuff in a can.
My mother always cooked the frozen spinach, and she did it quite well. She made a very simple sauce made of, I think, mayonnaise and milk that complemented it perfectly.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:50 PM

Buttermilk. My Daddy drank buttermilk. He encouraged us to drink it. My brothers loved it. (I suspect they would eat or drink anything as youngsters)
I hated it.

One day I drank a thimble full. Few days later a shot glass full. And, did that for awhile.
If my carbs are good I can drink a juice glass full now. I like it's sour/sweet taste.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-27-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Guacamole. It's not that I didn't like the taste of it; I refused to try it at all because I thought that weird mushy green stuff looked gross. At some point I tried it as an adult and discovered guacamole and avocados in general are actually good.
I used to think avocados tasted bad because guacamole tasted bad. A while back, I ate a slice of avocado, and it really wasn't bad at all. Turns out cilantro is what I don't like about most guacamoles. Gee, who'd a thunk it?
Old 02-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Greek wife, again. I cook fresh spinach down in a couple tablespoons of water, drain it, and dress it with olive oil, salt, and a few squeezes of fresh lemon juice. Magnificent.

My sainted momma did the same thing, but dressed it with salt and a splash of vinegar, then laid slices of hard boiled egg over it. Also excellent, sort of a variation on eggs Florentine.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:18 PM

Mushrooms.

I don't even know if I really didn't like them or that my younger self for some reason decided I didn't. They are now an ingredient in pretty much all of my favorite dishes. I really don't remember when the turning point happened.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:32 AM

Since mushrooms have been mentioned a couple times...

I used to think I hated mushrooms.

Turns out, I only hate BUTTON mushrooms.

Their virtually complete lack of flavour and very unpleasant texture disgust me to the point that if I accidentally get one I have to spit it out, just like if I get a bone or piece of gristle. (I'm not proud of this, but...I am seriously unable to swallow it.)

But a good mushroom, which actually tastes like something, and has a good texture?

Yeah, those I like.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Lima beans. Hated, hated, hated them as a kid. Had to pick them out of the frozen mixed vegetables and make a separate pile on the plate (for the trash can).

But at some point as an adult I realized lima beans were not only edible, but incredibly delicious.

Tuna fish was sort of the same way for me. I love it as an adult. Didn't really hate it as a kid, but it sure wasn't going to win any contests. Now I eat tuna all the time, in all sorts of ways.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Mustard. I am gradually getting used to stronger mustards, but I love honey mustard and I'm pretty good with dijonaise.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:12 PM

I'm 63 years old and until a couple of years ago, I wanted nothing to do with Blue Cheese. I couldn't even stomach the smell. But now, I can't get enough of it. Also pickled stuff. I'm adding pickled hot jalapeños to everything these days.