Old 01-04-2020, 04:01 PM

People on Reddit yesterday were speculating on his last game all the players should throw Final just to write "we love you Alex" or some tribute to him instead of an answer. Then someone suggested they just add on a "shout-out" ala Holzhauer, but several people attested as a fact that the show created a new rule specifically banning that due to Jame's constant shout-outs. However, a losing contestant wrote one yesterday without any consequence, and Alex even mentioned it was sweet of him to do.

So is there any truth to this being a rule? How would it be enforced and what possible penalty would there be?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:53 PM

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I wouldn't know for what to search.

How does Alex know/remember who has control of the board? After the 1st commercial and the contestant interviews, or after multiple wrong answers to a single clue, Alex looks at something to determine who gets to pick the next clue, but I have yet to detect any flag or light for him to see.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizerta View Post
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I wouldn't know for what to search.

How does Alex know/remember who has control of the board? After the 1st commercial and the contestant interviews, or after multiple wrong answers to a single clue, Alex looks at something to determine who gets to pick the next clue, but I have yet to detect any flag or light for him to see.
Alex keeps a master sheet on which he ticks off clues that have been used, and presumably notes who answered correctly. Low-tech, but it seems to work. If there's any confusion, he might be prompted, with that bit simply edited out of the show.

Last edited by terentii; 01-04-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:01 PM

"You may put down your signaling devices" is an awkward phrase, no question.

But "You have command of the board"? What are you even talking about? That sounds awesome.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:

there's a light in the corner of their name screens, showing who has control of the board.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/co..._base_of_each/

Last edited by Procrustus; 01-04-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:45 PM

Saw a headline where Trebek said he had a 30 second thing he will say at the end of his final show.

Speculation: something on the lines of:

He had the best job in the world for 36 years.
Who is Alex Trebek?

Last edited by ftg; 01-05-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
"You have command of the board"? ... That sounds awesome.
It beats the hell out of, “You’re next.”
Old 01-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
there's a light in the corner of their name screens, showing who has control of the board.
That's funny, because I had heard there were such lights, but I always assumed (because I hadn't noticed them) that they were only visible from Alex's POV, and couldn't be seen on camera. Now I see them all the time.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
That's funny, because I had heard there were such lights, but I always assumed (because I hadn't noticed them) that they were only visible from Alex's POV, and couldn't be seen on camera. Now I see them all the time.
My mind is blown as well!

Spoiler & question for today's (Monday January 6) episode:

SPOILER:
Today's episode was a runaway going into Final Jeopardy, with the leader having about $19,800, the second-place player about $9,600, and the last-place player having $2,000. The second-place player bet everything but $1 and missed the question. The third-place player also missed the question but only wagered a trivial amount, meaning that he moved into second place, taking home $2000 instead of the measly $1000 prize for third place.

What was the woman with $9,600 thinking when she made her wager?
Old 01-07-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
People on Reddit yesterday were speculating on his last game all the players should throw Final just to write "we love you Alex" or some tribute to him instead of an answer. Then someone suggested they just add on a "shout-out" ala Holzhauer, but several people attested as a fact that the show created a new rule specifically banning that due to Jame's constant shout-outs. However, a losing contestant wrote one yesterday without any consequence, and Alex even mentioned it was sweet of him to do.

So is there any truth to this being a rule? How would it be enforced and what possible penalty would there be?
My recollection is that the rule is that everything you write is now considered to be part of your answer. Writing the correct answer and adding a shout-out will turn it into an incorrect answer. There's no penalty for adding a shout-out to an incorrect answer.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

A reminder that the Jeopardy! tournament with Brad Rutter, James Holzhauer and Ken Jennings starts tonight at 8pm on ABC. And from Vulture, here's an explanation of how the tournament will work, "Each tournament episode will consist of a set of two back-to-back games, hence the hour-long running time. The player with the most combined winnings from these two games wins the 'match.' The play will then continue on each successive night until either Jennings, Holzhauer, or Rutter wins three matches — that means the tournament could end as quickly as three days or last as long as seven."

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 01-07-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

No comments on the GOAT yet? (There is another thread, but THIS is the Jeopardy! thread.)

I enjoyed it, mainly because it wasn't a runaway for James, as many (including me) might have expected. A few random thoughts:

The special GOAT dressing of the set (done mostly with lighting, AFAICT) is very nice. It has a serious and impressive feel that seems appropriate.

I feel a little sorry for Brad, who struggled to keep up with the other two.

It was very exciting to see how closely matched Ken and James are. Ken himself was unsure about how well he might do against James in an interview I cited last spring, long before the GOAT was even thought of.

The new version of the Final Jeopardy theme music (which we learned from the special last week is officially titled "Think") is horrible.

Alex looked somewhat worse than he does in the regular games that are airing this week. His makeup seemed heavier than usual, but even so his face seemed to have an unhealthy grayish cast. And for a few weeks now, in the regular shows, his voice has been weaker and rougher than usual. I'm worried about him,and now expect him to retire sooner rather than later. Does anyone know when they finish taping this season?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I enjoyed the GOAT very much! I think Ken is going to win. I felt sorry for Brad, who was a little slow on the buzzer. These questions are HARD! I only got a few of the $200/$400 clues. I got one that none of them knew, though!

As an aside - should we rename this thread again, to just "The Jeopardy Thread"?
Old 01-08-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Reading an article (paywall warning), I learned (as I didn't remember this) that Brad Rutter's regular season winnings (twenty years ago) was only $55,000 (this was when you could only appear five times), plus two cars. I think that was before they doubled the dollar amounts, but still, it seems like such a small amount.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:21 AM

Another Q: How do they keep the results secret.

I digress: When they wanted to keep "Who Shot J.R." a secret, they filmed multiple endings. When they wanted have Patrick Duffy secretly return to Dallas, the film crew thought they were filming Duffy's shower scene as a soap commercial. When Diane Chambers left Cheers, they filmed the real ending after the audience had had exited the stage.

Back to Jeopardy: During the Holzhauer era, there was rampant speculation as to when he would fall. However, rumors on normal sites (like SDMB) did not surface until a few hours before the show's regular broadcast. I know that a weeks worth of shows are shot in advance on the same day. How far in advance? Surely someone in the audience will spill the beans. When are the shows released to the stations for broadcast? Do the affiliates get them the day of the broadcast or in advance?

Last edited by bizerta; 01-08-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know that a weeks worth of shows are shot in advance on the same day. How far in advance? Surely someone in the audience will spill the beans. When are the shows released to the stations for broadcast? Do the affiliates get them the day of the broadcast or in advance?
When I was on the show in 2005, they taped in March for a July broadcast.

One way they keep the results secret is that you don’t collect your money until after the show airs. They tell you that you can tell your spouse/family members the outcome, but if the results show up in your local paper, there’s a good chance you won’t get paid.

Don’t know how they muzzle the audience.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:43 AM

I would think it even trickier because the tournament could be anything from 3 to 7 days. Surely the Network has to make plans for what will be broadcast when Ken sweeps it in three?
Old 01-08-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
I would think it even trickier because the tournament could be anything from 3 to 7 days. Surely the Network has to make plans for what will be broadcast when Ken sweeps it in three?
Eh, TV is in the January doldrums right now. Pretty easy to just plan for reruns if it ends early.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
I enjoyed the GOAT very much! I think Ken is going to win. I felt sorry for Brad, who was a little slow on the buzzer. These questions are HARD! I only got a few of the $200/$400 clues. I got one that none of them knew, though!
That's funny, because I expected them to be a lot harder. I didn't feel that this material was much more difficult than regular season stuff. The first six words of the Book of John? Easy peasey. I wouldn't have been able to dredge up Morgan le Fay, however. And Ken and James got a few of the more obscure Shakespeare clues right off the bat.

Anyone else want to weigh in on the relative difficulty of the clues?
Old 01-08-2020, 01:25 PM

I thought the clues were very hard. I usually know about 40% to 50% of the 'answers" but I was way below 20% last night
Old 01-08-2020, 01:44 PM

I was pretty happy to figure out "The Facts of Life, the Universe, and Everything Bagel."
Old 01-08-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I was pretty happy to figure out "The Facts of Life, the Universe, and Everything Bagel."
I mostly drew a blank on that entire category!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Okay, I'll admit that I did pause each clue for that one. I don't know how they figure it out so fast.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:59 PM

The first game seemed as hard as a regular game, except for FJ! The second game was definitely tournament level hard. All the before and after type categories whizzed past me, and I never heard of the astronomer in FJ!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
That category was fun but I needed more time to get each one.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM

Is there an archive for the GOAT tournament anywhere? I don't see one on the regular website yet.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Did you try the J! Archive?
Old 01-08-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Did you try the J! Archive?
That's what I meant when I said "the regular site." I didn't see the GOAT tournament on it when I first looked; maybe I just didn't click in the right place.

Thanks for posting the link!
Old 01-08-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Well...
SPOILER:
According to The Futon Critic, which gets its information from ABC press releases, there is a new episode of The Goldbergs scheduled for the same time as Day 5 - but nothing is scheduled for Day 4's timeslot on Tuesday. Read into that what you will.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:28 PM

Please, let's not post any spoilers for the tournament, even in spoiler boxes.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
The new version of the Final Jeopardy theme music (which we learned from the special last week is officially titled "Think") is horrible.
I agree, and will have a finger poised over the Mute button, tonight.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Did they run through the first round without the commercial break? That's what it seemed to me.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Did they run through the first round without the commercial break? That's what it seemed to me.
Yes. Since it's network and not syndicated, there are fewer commercials needed.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Well, last night's material was a lot harder (for me at least) than the first night's. Although that Before During and After category on Tuesday was pretty hard (and clever).

It was interesting to see all three of them get clues, even Daily Doubles, wrong. But I still feel bad for Brad. The other two are beating him pretty badly. I suspect it's a matter of reactions, and that they all know most of the questions, it's just that James and Ken are quicker on average than Brad.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:30 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I never do well with that kind of thing (which is also why, unlike other literate smarty-pants types, I shy away from crossword puzzles, the NPR puzzler segment, etc.). I need it to be a little more straightforward even if the information is obscure.

Does anyone else think it's a little weird that this tournament is only for $1 million when one of the ones Brad Rutter won was for twice as much?
Old 01-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I never do well with that kind of thing (which is also why, unlike other literate smarty-pants types, I shy away from crossword puzzles, the NPR puzzler segment, etc.). I need it to be a little more straightforward even if the information is obscure.

Does anyone else think it's a little weird that this tournament is only for $1 million when one of the ones Brad Rutter won was for twice as much?
Yeah, I mean it hardly seems worth the effort, just for a measly $1 mil.

I don't recall what second and third place get. Anyone?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:44 AM

A quarter million each, according to an earlier poster.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I thought I had the final jeopardy question. I thought the answer was:

Alfonso Curan and Alejandro González Iñárritu

I did NOT remember that Birdman had won the Best Picture Oscar. Yikes, that did not deserve it!

I knew Del Toro had won with Shape of Water. I often think of Ang Lee as American even though he is not. Lee is often mentioned to be a US citizen, but I think he may not actually be a citizen of the United States. Kind of hard to remember that.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

The clue said something like “foreign born” so it could be that Ang Lee is now a US citizen but still qualified for the correct response.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

A clue on the Jeopardy! episode of Friday, January 10 caused controversy. The category was about the locations of various famous churches, and the contestants were meant to say the country in which each was located. One clue was "Built in 300s AD, the Church of the Nativity." One contestant responded with "What is Palestine?" and was judged wrong. The second responded with "What is Israel?" and won the $200. This caused all sorts of controversy on and off line and yesterday, the show producers said the question was supposed to have been replaced with an alternate, but the version of the show sent out to the TV stations still contained the uncorrected version.

(It reminds me of how on the student newspaper in college, we ran a story about a protest by either the Turkish or the Greek student association over the Cyprus situation, and illustrated the article with a map of Cyprus, with a line showing the Greek vs the Turkish-controlled territory. That made one or the other of those groups very unhappy, because they didn't agree with where the line was shown.)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:31 PM

Better Late Than Never (various)

FIRST DAY, FINAL JEOPARDY
Quote:
The first six words of the Book of John? Easy peasey.
Easy... if you’re Christian. If I had been there, I would have written, “What is ‘How should I know? I’m Jewish.’” Note: the part of the Clue about Coolidge was an irrelevant distraction.

INCREASING LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
These questions are HARD!
Quote:
I expected them to be a lot harder. I didn't feel that this material was much more difficult than regular season stuff.
Quote:
Well, last night's material was a lot harder (for me at least) than the first night's.
I agree with Commonsense. I found the first day only slightly harder than normal, the second day harder than the first, and the third day harder still. At this rate, if they get to the 7th day, it will be unbelievable.

THE WEAKEST LINK
Quote:
James and Ken are quicker on average than Brad.
Obviously, all 3 players display a high level of skill and speed. Nevertheless, I agree with commasense [again] that Brad is punching up.

MY FAVORITE PART
My favorite part of this Tournament is the mutual respect and camaraderie. Did you see James high-5 Ken after that double up on day 3? Sure they’re all competitive, but they also recognize that the other 2 are worthy opponents, a rare situation for any of them. During the interviews with Trebek, they all admitted that they’ve adapted their technique for these specific opponents.

BEFORE, DURING, & AFTER
Quote:
I would have gotten all but the last one given enough time.

Last edited by Steven_Maven; 01-14-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-14-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Maven View Post
FIRST DAY, FINAL JEOPARDY

Easy... if you’re Christian. If I had been there, I would have written, “What is ‘How should I know? I’m Jewish.’” Note: the part of the Clue about Coolidge was an irrelevant distraction.
ISTM it's a pretty well-known quotation. Perhaps easier for practicing Christians, but IMHO it should have been relatively easy for many people with ordinary exposure to the dominant Christian culture of the Western Hemisphere. (FYI, I'm Jewish and an atheist.)

I hadn't thought much about it, but you're right that the whole Coolidge thing is an apparent non-sequitur. It doesn't seem to be a "pinner," a second clue to the right answer that many Jeopardy clues contain. Unless there's supposed to be some connection between "Silent" Cal and "the Word." I don't see it. Anyone else?
Quote:
I agree with Commonsense.
Quote:
Obviously, all 3 players display a high level of skill and speed. Nevertheless, I agree with commasense [again] that Brad is punching up.
Thank you.
Quote:
My favorite part of this Tournament is the mutual respect and camaraderie. Did you see James high-5 Ken after that double up on day 3? Sure they’re all competitive, but they also recognize that the other 2 are worthy opponents, a rare situation for any of them.
I agree with you!
Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I just watched this video by a guy who claims that Jeopardy manipulated the game play to end James Holzhauer's run. I'm nearly completely skeptical, for all of the reasons we discussed early in this thread, but he brings in some analysis of the games to propose that the game James lost in was one of the easiest ever played (as measured by its combined Coryat score). The notion being that by giving James' opponents very easy clues, the producers weakened his advantage, making it possible for Emma to beat him.

I haven't checked Film Theory's facts and math, but assuming he's right about that, the biggest flaw in his theory is that I don't believe the Coryat score can be treated as an objective measure of the material's difficulty, as he seems to do. It's a measure of how those specific contestants did with that specific material. One can assume that easier material would have higher Coryats, but (correct me if I'm wrong) a game with three Ph.D. contestants and nothing but clues in their specialties that no one else could get would also have a high Coryat, right?

As such, ISTM, the writers can't know in advance exactly what the Coryat score of any given set of clues will be, and any game full of obviously easier questions would be noticed. Was James' last game that much easier? I don't have time to look right now, but perhaps a few of us here can look it over at http://www.j-archive.com/ and make a judgment.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:38 PM

commasense, I doubt there was any conspiracy to eliminate James. In this thread, I mentioned that one way to get rid of James would be to neutralize his advantage in trivia knowledge with easier questions but I don't think that happened. The people with the power to sabotage James were the producers. The producers are also the people who benefit most from the higher ratings that James brought. I'm betting that the producers wanted to milk that run for as long as they could.

Even if Coryat scores were a reasonable indicator of difficulty, some games are just going to be easier than others. Our conspiracy theorist would have to show not only that this game was relatively easy but that this game was so much easier than could be anticipated by the normal variations of difficulty. Does anyone want to extract the Coryat scores and calculate the standard deviation?
Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
commasense, I doubt there was any conspiracy to eliminate James. In this thread, I mentioned that one way to get rid of James would be to neutralize his advantage in trivia knowledge with easier questions but I don't think that happened. The people with the power to sabotage James were the producers. The producers are also the people who benefit most from the higher ratings that James brought. I'm betting that the producers wanted to milk that run for as long as they could.
I agree with you, and I think I made the same point earlier in the thread. However, the video says that the payouts to James nearly quadrupled their usual prize budget, and ads for syndicated shows are booked months in advance, so the producers wouldn't have been able to capitalize enough on James' run to make up that gap. (He doesn't note that they certainly could have raised the rates after the summer break, when James returned.)

If you watch the video, he claims that James' losing game was only a few points off the highest possible Coryat score (easiest game), and that the average is much lower.

One major point he doesn't consider is that Jeopardy would be in violation of Federal law if it could be shown that they did anything to help or hurt a specific contestant. If there were any reasonable doubt, the government would be looking closely at such a high-profile situation.

Finally, given that James made the GOAT possible, even if they lost money on his initial appearance, and couldn't make it up by raising ad rates at the start of the next season, they will almost certainly be making tons of cash with the GOAT. I don't think we have to worry about Sony going broke on Jeopardy!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Was it just me or have the last two nights (Jan 15-16] been two of the worst games ever played? A ton of triple misses and no answers plus that poor woman tonight nearly had the worst non-Wolf Blitzer score of all time.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

I did not know that Iago had the most speeches of any non-title character in a Shakespeare tragedy .

Horatio was a reasonable guess. Tough way to lose, I thought James would get it.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Was it just me or have the last two nights (Jan 15-16] been two of the worst games ever played? A ton of triple misses and no answers plus that poor woman tonight nearly had the worst non-Wolf Blitzer score of all time.
I just rewatched tonight's game out of Seattle. It seems to me she was flustered from the very start, trying and failing to buzz in.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post

I only watched today's, but I came here to comment on how painful it was. It wasn't just the one woman. The other guy who lost was also terrible, and honestly the defending champ didn't do all that well. I don't think she would have been able to beat most contestants. It makes me half-tempted to try out for the show, if their well is getting so dry, but there's no way I'd be able to afford to fly to LA, much less stay there for some unknown period of time.

Quote:
A clue on the Jeopardy! episode of Friday, January 10 caused controversy. The category was about the locations of various famous churches, and the contestants were meant to say the country in which each was located. One clue was "Built in 300s AD, the Church of the Nativity." One contestant responded with "What is Palestine?" and was judged wrong. The second responded with "What is Israel?" and won the $200. This caused all sorts of controversy on and off line and yesterday, the show producers said the question was supposed to have been replaced with an alternate, but the version of the show sent out to the TV stations still contained the uncorrected version.

(It reminds me of how on the student newspaper in college, we ran a story about a protest by either the Turkish or the Greek student association over the Cyprus situation, and illustrated the article with a map of Cyprus, with a line showing the Greek vs the Turkish-controlled territory. That made one or the other of those groups very unhappy, because they didn't agree with where the line was shown.)

Interesting. Did the score ever end up being close enough for this to matter? (Of course, we can't factor in the psychological effect of being unfairly ruled incorrect.)

Quote:
I agree with you, and I think I made the same point earlier in the thread. However, the video says that the payouts to James nearly quadrupled their usual prize budget, and ads for syndicated shows are booked months in advance, so the producers wouldn't have been able to capitalize enough on James' run to make up that gap. (He doesn't note that they certainly could have raised the rates after the summer break, when James returned.)

If you watch the video, he claims that James' losing game was only a few points off the highest possible Coryat score (easiest game), and that the average is much lower.

One major point he doesn't consider is that Jeopardy would be in violation of Federal law if it could be shown that they did anything to help or hurt a specific contestant. If there were any reasonable doubt, the government would be looking closely at such a high-profile situation.

Those are interesting points on all sides. But I'd counter your last one with a question. Let's say the producers sent out a memo saying "I am hearing from friends and family that the questions are too hard lately, making it not as fun to play at home. Let's go a little easier, please." Would that really be actionable? Or what if they went even closer to the line, saying "Competitive games are more exciting: let's make sure we have clues that even the average contestant has a decent chance of knowing." That's not the same as actually specifically sabotaging the returning champion, as it would be if they invited on two college professors and made an inordinate number of clues feature their specific subject areas.

Because it does seem possible that James's quadruple-sized winnings could have been hurting their bottom line. And if he had stayed dominant champion for too long, I don't think the ratings bonanza would have lasted. Let's say he went way longer than Ken Jennings (and the producers had no idea whether this might be possible). Eventually, let's face it, people would get bored with it.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 01-16-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I only watched today's, but I came here to comment on how painful it was. It wasn't just the one woman. The other guy who lost was also terrible, and honestly the defending champ didn't do all that well. I don't think she would have been able to beat most contestants. It makes me half-tempted to try out for the show, if their well is getting so dry, but there's no way I'd be able to afford to fly to LA, much less stay there for some unknown period of time.
Registration for the online test is open now.