Old 11-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Was anyone else offended by the use of Jamal Khashoggi as a clue? Especially to get "Saudi Arabia" as the answer(question)? It seemed in poor taste to use a recent murder victim. It's not like using Abraham Lincoln or something. It's barely over a year.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Was anyone else offended by the use of Jamal Khashoggi as a clue? Especially to get "Saudi Arabia" as the answer(question)? It seemed in poor taste to use a recent murder victim. It's not like using Abraham Lincoln or something. It's barely over a year.
Yes. That was jarring. “He went in and never came out.” Too soon
Old 11-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Did you see the semi-final last night? The contestant in third place wrote, "What is we love you Alex" on the screen for his Final Jeopardy response and it seemed to choke up Alex Trebek for a few moments. (Trebek was off camera, but the emotion in his voice was apparent.)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Did you see the semi-final last night? The contestant in third place wrote, "What is we love you Alex" on the screen for his Final Jeopardy response and it seemed to choke up Alex Trebek for a few moments. (Trebek was off camera, but the emotion in his voice was apparent.)
We caught that. Don't know what to think about Trebek's reaction. Seemed a bit much, if that was what it was.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I assumed it was a genuine emotional response and can't fault him for that.

Edited to add, it's possible the medications make him more emotional than normal, but I am not a doctor. Or it may be that he's been thinking about his future (certainly having to retire earlier than planned even if he survives the cancer).

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 11-12-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 AM

I noticed it too. He definitely got choked up, but soldiered on to the next 2 contestants.

And how on Earth did 3 champions not know Caddyshack?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:57 AM

I've read on another forum that Alex had just shared the fact that he was resuming chemo. That's what prompted Dhruv to write "We [heart] you, Alex" as his Final Jeopardy response.

Assuming that's true, and this was filmed at the time Alex had to go back into treatment after things had initially seemed so positive, you can imagine that his emotions were already pretty raw anyway. Sometimes when you're in that situation, it doesn't take much to get you choked up. If you watched all the way to the end, during the part when Alex goes over to talk to the contestants at the podium, you can see that he clasped Dhruv's hand pretty tightly rather than the usual perfunctory handshake.

They could easily have re-recorded Alex's audio, and not shown the scenes of him choking up. But I'm glad they didn't. It was a very genuine and heartfelt moment. Whatever happens, this is likely to be Alex's last Tournament of Champions. It's not surprising that everybody is feeling a bit emotional about it.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
Any TOC players here? I ask because in normal play, all contestants on a given tape day watch the games played before they go on. I was wondering while watching this week's games if they do the same thing during the TOC. If so, the later players would have a better idea of how much they would need to get one of the wild card spots. That would seem to give them an unfair advantage.

So do TOC players get to see the games before theirs, or are they isolated? Anyone?
Not a ToC Contestant but they are definitely isolated. Too much of a competitive advantage if the Thu-Fri contestants knew the qualifying scores.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Not a ToC Contestant but they are definitely isolated. Too much of a competitive advantage if the Thu-Fri contestants knew the qualifying scores.
That's what I would have expected. And not that I'm doubting you, but where did you learn that?
Old 11-14-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Did the impeachment hearings preempt Wednesday's broadcast for anyone else? I'm recording them, and binge-watched the TOC, and yesterday's was preempted. I'm glad I got to see James, and the Alex moment. I hope when I get home I get to see Jeopardy, and if not, I can find it online.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

In my area, when Jeopardy is preempted (for a football or baseball game, for instance), the show is aired at night, like around 1am or so.

And BTW, if you saw the first two episodes this week, you'll know that two of the three players in the TOC final games are James and Emma Boettcher, who defeated him in regular season play. I doubt that has ever happened before in a Jeopardy! TOC.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Right! I had forgotten that! I liked her, too.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Did the impeachment hearings preempt Wednesday's broadcast for anyone else? I'm recording them, and binge-watched the TOC, and yesterday's was preempted. I'm glad I got to see James, and the Alex moment. I hope when I get home I get to see Jeopardy, and if not, I can find it online.
If you have cable (and I assume you do), you might want to check the higher channels that you normally don't bother with. My provider goes up into the 900s, and I was delighted to find a channel (527) out of Seattle one day that shows Jeopardy! three hours after it's on here in Toronto. If I happen to miss an episode at 19:30, I can catch it at 22:30.

Last edited by terentii; 11-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

It's kind of weird and ridiculous that Jeopardy isn't on any of the streaming services. Actually, even weirder - it is - but only random old segments. You can find Jeopardy on netflix and there are just like 30 or 40 episodes randomly from 20+ years ago, and I think one tournament of champions from a few years ago. Why is it that netflix has streaming rights to jeopardy... just in a totally useless and random way?
Old 11-14-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
That's what I would have expected. And not that I'm doubting you, but where did you learn that?
Kyle, who played in the first day of the quarterfinals, mentions the sequestration of players in episode 3 of his podcast "Potent Podables". He also mentioned that they were watching "Shawn of the Dead" in the greenroom.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Thanks! I'll check it out.
FYI, my channel 527 is KOMO-HD, part of the ABC network. KOMO-TV (same programming schedule, it looks like) is at 151, but for some reason I can't access it (probably because my cable service is High Definition).

They both show Wheel and Jeopardy! back-to-back, too.

Last edited by terentii; 11-14-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:25 PM

James and Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter will compete in the Greatest of all Time Tournament

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...bc/4201669002/

But the GOAT tournament will be anything but typical: It consists of a series of two back-to-back games, airing weeknights (8 EST/PST) beginning Jan. 7. The player with the most combined winnings from the two games wins the “match,” and the play continues on successive nights (except Monday) until one of them has won three matches and takes home a $1 million prize. (The other finishers get $250,000 apiece). That means the tournament can last anywhere from three to seven days.

everyone was clamoring to see James vs Ken I guess they wanted to hurry up and get this done before Alex dies
Old 11-20-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
James and Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter will compete in the Greatest of all Time Tournament

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...bc/4201669002/

But the GOAT tournament will be anything but typical: It consists of a series of two back-to-back games, airing weeknights (8 EST/PST) beginning Jan. 7. The player with the most combined winnings from the two games wins the “match,” and the play continues on successive nights (except Monday) until one of them has won three matches and takes home a $1 million prize. (The other finishers get $250,000 apiece). That means the tournament can last anywhere from three to seven days.

everyone was clamoring to see James vs Ken I guess they wanted to hurry up and get this done before Alex dies
I bet Watson is pissed.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:29 AM

Watson's going to bust in half-way through the third game and it'll turn into a Humans vs. Machines tag-team, WWE style.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:27 AM

I fully expect Alex to retire after this tournament.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I fully expect Alex to retire after this tournament.
I was thinking the same. This would be another good wrinkle: Winner of this Tournament succeeds Alex as Jeopardy Host.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Plus whoever wins the tournament is the new owner of the chocolate factory.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Plus whoever wins the tournament is the new owner of the chocolate factory.

Alex Trebek: Remember Ken*, don't forget the tale of the man who got everything he wanted.
Ken: What happened?
AT: He lived happily ever after.

*I had to pick one.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjs1fs View Post
I was thinking the same. This would be another good wrinkle: Winner of this Tournament succeeds Alex as Jeopardy Host.
That would be a terrible idea.

James has negative charisma - without the excitement of his playing, he'd be basically a piece of the set. Ken is charismatic, but in a way that'd be more suited to a different kind of show - he'd risk overshadowing the contestants in the Jeopardy! format.

And, while I could see Brad potentially walking the same line Alex does - enough presence of his own to carry the show's momentum, while still letting the contestants have the spotlight - winning a Jeopardy! tournament would be a terrible way to determine that, since the skills are completely unrelated, and a 1 in three chance of getting someone who might be able to do it is horrible odds.

If Alex is going to retire in the next couple months, they've certainly already chosen his successor - hell, even if he plans to hold on longer, they've probably chosen his successor since he may be forced to retire at any point.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:12 PM

I agree with that. Occasionally people will suggest a contestant (usually Ken Jennings) as Alex's successor, but it's really not a good idea. Being a good game show contestant does not mean you will be a good game show host. The two skill sets are quite different, and do not necessarily translate.

Ken Jennings actually does have another game show job right now--he's on GSN's "Best Ever Trivia Show" (soon to be re-titled "Master Minds," as I understand it). Notably, he is not the host. He is one of a panel of "trivia experts" who compete against the contestants. I think that's the role to which he is best suited, if he really does want to have a permanent game show gig.

When Alex leaves the show, I have no doubt they will hire another professional broadcaster, very likely someone who has years of experience as a host.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
... If Alex is going to retire in the next couple months, they've certainly already chosen his successor - hell, even if he plans to hold on longer, they've probably chosen his successor since he may be forced to retire at any point.
They could do what TCM did when main host Robert Osborne was ailing: have guest hosts, over quite a few months.

I'd suggest that would be the case only if they don't yet have a replacement lined up. And that could be true; there's not really any clear front-runner in the public mind, I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
...When Alex leaves the show, I have no doubt they will hire another professional broadcaster, very likely someone who has years of experience as a host.
That does seem likely.

On the other hand, tonight's show featured Austin Rogers in the front row of the audience--introduced by Alex. Made me wonder, a bit. (Has that happened before: a former contestant in the audience, and introduced by Alex?)
Old 11-21-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

You know what would be cool? If right after he retires, they let Alex play one game (or more, if he wins) as a contestant.

Though they'd probably have to jump through a heck of a lot of hoops to prove that he didn't have access to the clues beforehand.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
On the other hand, tonight's show featured Austin Rogers in the front row of the audience--introduced by Alex. Made me wonder, a bit.
If they put that fuckhead asshole Austin in as host, we're done with Jeopardy.

Makes me think the people that say Trebek is a jerk in real life aren't that wrong when he seems to like Austin so much. He sees him as a kindred spirit.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That would be a terrible idea.

James has negative charisma - without the excitement of his playing, he'd be basically a piece of the set. Ken is charismatic, but in a way that'd be more suited to a different kind of show - he'd risk overshadowing the contestants in the Jeopardy! format.

And, while I could see Brad potentially walking the same line Alex does - enough presence of his own to carry the show's momentum, while still letting the contestants have the spotlight - winning a Jeopardy! tournament would be a terrible way to determine that, since the skills are completely unrelated, and a 1 in three chance of getting someone who might be able to do it is horrible odds.

If Alex is going to retire in the next couple months, they've certainly already chosen his successor - hell, even if he plans to hold on longer, they've probably chosen his successor since he may be forced to retire at any point.
I am not sure he has "negative charisma." He seems kind of likable to me and has a good sense of humor. Ratings have been huge because of him, so I certainly don't think they'd have a big problem "selling" the audience to watch him. One of the appeals of Alex is that he seems to know all the answers, and he has that pomposity; well James actually does Know "ALL" the answers, so he'd have instant credibility.

Your "1 in 3 odds" comment doesn't make a whole lot a sense. I'm not sure the skill set required is so unique; maybe all three of them are "capable." But I'd rather not settle for the "2nd or 3rd best of all time" as my host going forward if I could have the "GOAT."

I'm not sure how you're so "certain" they have already picked Alex's successor, but of course that's a possibility.

Last edited by fjs1fs; 11-22-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:27 PM

Look, pointing out that James is utterly uncharismatic is very much not an insult. He seems like a nice guy. I would be basically exactly the same in his place (save maybe more fiddling with my buzzer). But I'm not a game show host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjs1fs View Post
Your "1 in 3 odds" comment doesn't make a whole lot a sense. I'm not sure the skill set required is so unique; maybe all three of them are "capable."
It's possible - vanishingly unlikely, but possible - that, despite evidence to the contrary, that Ken and James are capable of doing the job. It would mean completely altering their public personae, which would kind of obviate the point of choosing them, but, hey, whatever, let's grant the possibility.

Winning a tournament of the game is an entirely terrible way of determining that.

The skill set isn't unique (we know Art Fleming and Alex both had it), but it is completely unrelated to the skill set involved in playing the game.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you're so "certain" they have already picked Alex's successor, but of course that's a possibility.
Alex announced in March that he had a form of cancer that was likely to kill him within a year.

It would be extremely irresponsible for them to not immediately begin deciding who will replace him when he leaves (either by choice or because the cancer or the treatments make continuing impossible).

It would be hilariously so to not have it decided (or at the very least, shortlisted) within 2 months of his retirement if he has chosen a specific time, rather than 'whenever I can't do it any more'.

It would be actively insane to leave the decision up to a test of a completely unrelated skill set on his proverbial last day.

(As an avoidant person, I know, intimately, that sometimes 'that's hilariously irresponsible' doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I try not to predict other people's actions through the lens of my own maladaptive coping strategies.)
Old 11-22-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The skill set isn't unique (we know Art Fleming and Alex both had it), but it is completely unrelated to the skill set involved in playing the game.
This is true, but Jeopardy is sort of a cultural icon and it's really strongly tied to Alex Trebek, more than other shows or gameshows.

So when Trebek stops hosting, there will be a feeling among a lot of people that it's just not right, or it's not the same, and that will probably negatively impact the popularity of jeopardy.

So finding someone who has "Jeopardy cred", who is iconic within that world, could make the transition a lot smoother.

That's why I think Ken Jennings would make a really good host, even though there's nothing inherently about the job that requires you to be good at the game.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Yeah, James seems like a nice enough person, but even his relatively minimal interpersonal interactions on the show seem awkward. There's no way he would be considered to replace Trebek.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Alex announced in March that he had a form of cancer that was likely to kill him within a year.

It would be extremely irresponsible for them to not immediately begin deciding who will replace him when he leaves (either by choice or because the cancer or the treatments make continuing impossible).
More recently, he's said that the chemotherapy's effects make it hard for him to speak and enunciate the clues. And somewhere upthread someone said that they're no longer filming five episodes in a day but only two or three, because he gets tired. The signs are clear that he's going to have to end hosting duties.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Mean Mister Mustard's prediction that Alex will retire at the end of the GOAT.

I agree with Kamino Neko's prediction that his successor has already been auditioned, tested, and selected, with Trebek's blessing. And that it's not one of the champions, but an experienced broadcaster.

My prediction is that Alex will announce his retirement and introduce his successor at the end of the tournament, although it's possible there will be a leak or rumors before that.

Last edited by commasense; 11-22-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: a little lagniappe
Old 11-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Are you including erudition in that skill set?
Old 11-23-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Are you including erudition in that skill set?
Am I including 'know the answers' as a required skill for somebody whose job is to read the answers?

No, I'm not. It's not a disqualifier, of course, but it's not a requirement at all.

Alex isn't the Beast. And even on The Chase, Mark isn't the presenter - that's Bradley Burnes or Brooke Walsh, depending which version.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Am I including 'know the answers' as a required skill for somebody whose job is to read the answers?

No, I'm not. It's not a disqualifier, of course, but it's not a requirement at all.

Alex isn't the Beast. And even on The Chase, Mark isn't the presenter - that's Bradley Burnes or Brooke Walsh, depending which version.
The reason I ask is because both Art and Alex were/are erudite, and it comes across when you see them hosting Jeopardy! To my mind, this has added greatly to the show's prestige.

According to Art's biography on Wiki, he attended Colgate and Cornell universities, was the pilot of a US Navy patrol bomber in the Atlantic during WWII, and was "an avid reader with multiple college degrees."

Alex graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in philosophy in 1961. He was a member of the English Debating Society and had originally planned on a career in broadcast news. He also grew up in a bilingual household. In one interview I saw, he said he probably knows about 80% of the material on Jeopardy! before seeing it.

So yeah, I'd say erudition is a pretty important part of hosting Jeopardy!, as opposed to, say, Family Feud or Wheel of Fortune.

Last edited by terentii; 11-24-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Alex might not know all of the answers, but he's at least capable of giving the impression that he does. And you at least want someone who can pronounce foreign names and such correctly.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Look, pointing out that James is utterly uncharismatic is very much not an insult. He seems like a nice guy. I would be basically exactly the same in his place (save maybe more fiddling with my buzzer). But I'm not a game show host.

It's possible - vanishingly unlikely, but possible - that, despite evidence to the contrary, that Ken and James are capable of doing the job. It would mean completely altering their public personae, which would kind of obviate the point of choosing them, but, hey, whatever, let's grant the possibility.

Winning a tournament of the game is an entirely terrible way of determining that.

It would be hilariously so to not have it decided (or at the very least, shortlisted) within 2 months of his retirement if he has chosen a specific time, rather than 'whenever I can't do it any more'.

It would be actively insane to leave the decision up to a test of a completely unrelated skill set on his proverbial last day.

(As an avoidant person, I know, intimately, that sometimes 'that's hilariously irresponsible' doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I try not to predict other people's actions through the lens of my own maladaptive coping strategies.)
I think you hilariously, insanely overestimate the "skill set" required for a game show host position. But you still may be right that they have already chosen Alex's successor. I'm glad they took the decision so seriously prior to hiring Alex... I mean as host of "High Rollers" and Card Sharks he clearly proved himself up to the task!
Old 11-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

There's a reason that "casting director" is its own job. The general public, looking at Alex at the time, would have just seen High Rollers and Card Sharks. But he turned out to be a really great pick. Whoever chose him did their job well.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:37 PM

I can't even figure out the point of mentioning High Rollers and Card Sharks. (Not Alex's only game shows before Jeopardy!, BTW - he's been doing game shows since 1966, when he started hosting Reach For the Top*, though Americans could be forgiven for not knowing Reach, Strategy or Pitfall, since they were Canadian.)

The fact that they chose a very experienced presenter (and not just game shows) argues against the 'any jerk could do it' premise.

* It's too bad there's no chance I could get on Jeopardy! before Alex retires, now... I was on my high school's Reach team, so that (admittedly distant) connection to him would have been good interview fodder. We never made it to the provincial level (the level that gets televised), though we invariably ended up in second place at the regional level.

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 11-25-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 PM

No restrictions & no “what is”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
As Alex says, "You are in control of the board." The player has carte blanche to choose a category and the amount of money they are going for.
I am opposed to any restrictions on which “question” the player selects.

The one change I’ve been advocating for years is to stop requiring them to phrase their response in the form of a question (ie, “What is...?”). This gimmick from when the show began is equivalent to the fake shutter click on digital cameras.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Maven View Post
I am opposed to any restrictions on which “question” the player selects.

The one change I’ve been advocating for years is to stop requiring them to phrase their response in the form of a question (ie, “What is...?”). This gimmick from when the show began is equivalent to the fake shutter click on digital cameras.
You may be right, but since that "gimmick" is basically how the show got its start, and has been its defining characteristic for decades, eliminating it would create an unbelievable shitstorm among fans. It will never happen.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Jennifer Quayle, who is currently on a six-game win streak (before Thursday's show at least, which I am watching now) and appears dominant enough to keep it going awhile, works as a "wine tasting consultant" in Michigan. Pretty fancy pantsy job--and in Michigan? Huh.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Jennifer Quayle, who is currently on a six-game win streak (before Thursday's show at least, which I am watching now) and appears dominant enough to keep it going awhile, works as a "wine tasting consultant" in Michigan. Pretty fancy pantsy job--and in Michigan? Huh.
Nice work, if you can get it.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
How long before we can start calling her "Jeopardy Jennifer," to go along with Jeopardy James and Jeopardy Jason?

I think we've cracked the secret of big success on Jeopardy--have a name that starts with J!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
How long before we can start calling her "Jeopardy Jennifer," to go along with Jeopardy James and Jeopardy Jason?

I think we've cracked the secret of big success on Jeopardy--have a name that starts with J!
I'm a James, and it only got me one win.

But it was a lot of fun, and I was happy just to get that far. I couldn't possibly do as well now. My brain and reflexes today, almost 30 years later, are much slower. And I have no idea about all the pop music and TV shows the kids are watching these days.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Am I the only one who panics every time this thread gets bumped?
Old 12-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I think it's safe to say that, if there is significant news on Trebek or his eventual replacement, it'll get its own thread.