Old 06-14-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Paul McCartney's Post-Beatles Career (With Wings, The Wings, etc.)

1. Did Paul write and record all original material for the Wings? Or was some of their ouvre from material he'd written for The Beatles but that didn't make it to an album?

2. What's with the inconsistency in the band's name? At times Paul McCartney and Wings, other times just Wings... was this Paul's way of having a joke at the audience's expense? Or was consistency simply not Paul's strong suit?

3. In the song "Let 'Em In," is there any meaning behind the names? "Sister Suzie, brother John, Martin Luther, Phil and Don, Brother Michael, Auntie Gin."
Old 06-14-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
1. Did Paul write and record all original material for the Wings? Or was some of their ouvre from material he'd written for The Beatles but that didn't make it to an album?

2. What's with the inconsistency in the band's name? At times Paul McCartney and Wings, other times just Wings... was this Paul's way of having a joke at the audience's expense? Or was consistency simply not Paul's strong suit?

3. In the song "Let 'Em In," is there any meaning behind the names? "Sister Suzie, brother John, Martin Luther, Phil and Don, Brother Michael, Auntie Gin."
Wings was made several years after the beatles break up so I guess it was made around mid 1970s./
Old 06-14-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I pretty sure "Phil and Don" is a reference to The Everly Brothers who greatly influenced Paul and his ex-bandmates.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM

1. Wings did cover "Love Is Strange", an old hit by Mickey and Sylvia. Perhaps others. As for whether he used old ideas from the Beatle days, wouldn't surprise me - you'd have to ask him.

2. I think Paul wanted Wings to be considered a real band with input from all members, so after they were established there was no need to keep the marquee name front and center.

3. I think Brother John is John Lennon, Martin Luther is Dr. King, Brother Michael is Paul's brother Mike McGear. Et cetera - you can look this stuff up. Just a bunch of names of people he liked - no meaning beyond that.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:16 PM

The best Wings song not sung by Paul is Medicine Jar by Jimmy McCullough
Old 06-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
See here or here.

We had another thread not too long ago: Talk to me about (Paul McCartney's) Wings
Old 06-14-2019, 11:28 PM

Since this thread is about Wings I’ll use the opportunity to ask a question: listen to the first mention of “luck” in the opening line of “With A Little Luck” - did Paul sneak an F-bomb past the censors?
when it's really the Voice of God?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephe96 View Post
Since this thread is about Wings I’ll use the opportunity to ask a question: listen to the first mention of “luck” in the opening line of “With A Little Luck” - did Paul sneak an F-bomb past the censors?
I hear "luck".
Old 06-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:

Just to be clear: while the band was variously referred to as "Paul McCartney and Wings," and "Wings," it was never "The Wings."
Old 06-15-2019, 02:07 PM

This link claims that the reference to Martin Luther doesn’t refer to Martin Luther or Martin Luther King. Rather, it’s an old nickname the band had for John Lennon (John Martin Luther Lennon).

https://beatleshistorian.com/?p=288

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 06-15-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post

It’s hard to believe but that was filmed just seven years after the Beatles broke up. 42 years (an eternity) have gone by since then.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
It’s hard to believe but that was filmed just seven years after the Beatles broke up. 42 years (an eternity) have gone by since then.
A fact I recently discovered that blew my mind: The Beatles broke up before any of them had turned 30.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
The best Wings song not sung by Paul is Medicine Jar by Jimmy McCullough
Yes it is. That song rocks.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
And Paul's post-Wings solo career has by now lasted significantly longer than the Beatles and Wings combined.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
A fact I recently discovered that blew my mind: The Beatles broke up before any of them had turned 30.
George was only 26 when they made their last recording.