Old 07-08-2019, 09:25 PM

Pitting the bigots I see in my Facebook news feed

So recently I got back on Facebook after being gone for a couple years. Didn't take me long to remember why I left. Forgot I knew about a dozen hardcore conservative Fundamentalists.

When they arenít competing to see who can hump Trump's leg the hardest, they usually post something anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT, anti-atheist (etc.) for varietyís sake. Or they throw up Bible verses so they can pat themselves on the back and show what a good Christian they are.

Yeah, I could walk away from Facebook again or block/ignore them but Iím really tempted to be the sand in their Vaseline and troll them a bit. Or a lot.

Just curious, anyone else have this happen?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 PM

I have two Canadian friends who supported Trump. They stopped posting about him long ago. I'm guessing they came to their senses, but who knows?

So, out of 237 friends only two used to support Trump, but don't appear to any more. Oh wait, make that three. A previous SDMB member (since banned) connected with me. I keep him around for the entertainment.

Even my Canadian conservative friends are anti-Trump. Mind you Canadian Conservatives are not really like US conservatives.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I have two Canadian friends who supported Trump. They stopped posting about him long ago. I'm guessing they came to their senses, but who knows?

So, out of 237 friends only two used to support Trump, but don't appear to any more. Oh wait, make that three. A previous SDMB member (since banned) connected with me. I keep him around for the entertainment.

Even my Canadian conservative friends are anti-Trump. Mind you Canadian Conservatives are not really like US conservatives.
And that's the problem.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
And that's the problem.
Why?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 PM

I've taken to curbstomping all the MAGAts in yahoo news feeds.

Outnumbered, sure, but pwning.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 PM

The highlight today was two posts saying, with a straight face, "If the immigrants don't like our internment camps they should go home, they aren't prisoners!"

Coz you know, all those people wanted to be separated from their kids for months at a time.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
And that's the problem.
Quote:
Why?
The phrasing is a little inverted, but itís actually the US conservatives that are the problem (probably because theyíre reactionaries rather than conservatives). But itís certainly true that Canadian conservatives arenít really like them.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

I know a few Repugs on Facebook, few enough that their bullshit gets drowned out by the quality stuff in my news feed. One of 'em is actually pretty decent when they're not sharing shit like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Seriously, who's supposed to be speaking there?

The guns? They can't speak, or take selfies.

Trump himself? Why not use a picture of him?

Whoever took that photo? What, they're like a Klan member: too chicken to show their face?
Old 07-09-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quttaus View Post
Yeah, I could walk away from Facebook again or block/ignore them but Iím really tempted to be the sand in their Vaseline and troll them a bit. Or a lot.

I do this all the time, it's fun. Trolling them eventually leads into a "liberal cuck snowflake America hater!" post, which I then post the "triggered" meme and laugh at them.

One friend of mine triggered himself off of Facebook. It was pretty fun.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM

I recently reconnected with a friend from college who has turned into a hardcore Trumpista. As in, swilling that Kool-Aid. He was never this political back in the day.

One day he linked the article where Jimmy Carter referred to Trump's election as illegitimate due to Russian trolling. He called Carter a coward and the worst U.S. president ever. So I decided to link the same article to my news feed with the caption "Now he's what a real president looks like!" (Yes, Carter was far from perfect, but bagging on the man is like kicking a puppy.) My Trumpista buddy, predictably, took umbrage and commented how Carter, among other things, gave Iran to the religious extremists.

I must say, it was a lot of fun watching my friends dogpile on him in the comments.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quttaus View Post
So recently I got back on Facebook after being gone for a couple years. Didn't take me long to remember why I left. Forgot I knew about a dozen hardcore conservative Fundamentalists.

When they arenít competing to see who can hump Trump's leg the hardest, they usually post something anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT, anti-atheist (etc.) for varietyís sake. Or they throw up Bible verses so they can pat themselves on the back and show what a good Christian they are.

Iím on FB and there are a couple hard core conservatives in my feed that do that. I just ignore them. When they do post something interesting and not Trump-humping or anti-this or that, then Iíll post a Like or a reply. But otherwise, itís Ignore.

Gratefully, the vast majority of my FB friends are not like that.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:09 PM

Don't hold back. Give 'em hell. If they unfriend you, so much the better.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:51 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I have a few relatives in my Facebook feed that I unfollowed once they posted pro-Trump stuff. They're not close relatives so it wasn't worth fighting with them.

Fortunately most of my relatives are hard core liberals. The downside of this is when I get sucked into their fights with Trumpists on FB. It can be fun, but it's mostly pointless.

The worst one is my brother's father-in-law, who I'm not friends with directly. When my other brother posts anti-Trump stuff he'll jump in with all kinds of nonsense and I can't resist ridiculing him. But that seems to have stopped now.

This said, I have some anti-Trump friends who I considered unfollowing just because they were continually posting anti-Trump memes and clogging up my front page. Even if it's anti-Trump, I don't need to be reminded of him every time I look at Facebook. Fortunately they also seem to have cooled off and only post an occasional one now.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 PM

I have some I keep just to see what BS they post. Mostly stuff from Fox, Breitbart, and even InfoWars and what have to be Russian troll sites. Most are stereotypical MAGAsses--HS diploma; male; white; blue-collar job; dislike of non-whites, immigrants, and Mooslims; think Trump is a selfless patriotic genius who rescued the economy; Obama was an embarrassment to the country who the world mocked and the worst President ever...

The ignorance and projection are sweeping. A Trumpster once told me to "Go read a book" during a back-and-forth as if that was a dismissive zinger.

An all time "favorite" was after Oprah's Oscar speech people were saying she should run for President. One guy posted a link to an article and said: "I don't mean to sound racist, but didn't we already have a black President? Let's not make the same mistake twice."

So his issue isn't that Oprah doesn't have any real qualifications, because neither does Trump, but that she's black.

Last edited by dasmoocher; 07-09-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:13 PM

My wife and I have a friend that went full on Trumpster a few years ago. She's been a great friend over the years, very kind and sweet otherwise, went to our wedding, etc. etc. She even just bought some stuff from us to help pay for my daughter's trip to France (as an exchange student) and she has a daughter around 10 or so who as far as I know she wants her to grow up as a strong feminist.

Then I see her posts, and it is unrelenting shares of Breitbart crap and alt right memes. She's called herself a white nationalist in her feed (yikes) and posts everything that leans right: Jesse Smallet crap, Colin Kaepernick stuff, pro-Trump stuff, Hillary's a killer memes.

Last month she posted the meme comparing a soldier and a gay man at the pride parade that said "How come the soldier only gets one day while the other gets a month?" I responded that May is National Military Appreciation Month and Veteran's Month is in November -- to her credit (I guess) she doesn't ever respond. She just regurgitates the latest outrage. I don't think anything I could say would ever change her mind and she's living in both my wife and my head a little too much, but I just don't want to de-friend her either.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Man, which Canadian Conservative are you following? What I see may not "support" Trump, but it's certainly not anti-Trump, and they're all embracing the same stupid arguments that allowed the Trump phenomenon to take over the GOP.

Hell, they voted in Doug Fucking Ford just because he was the closest they could get to Trump right now.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:29 PM

I go to facebook for entertainment, articles about interesting non-news stuff, and to connect with friends' and family members' personal lives. I understand that others use FB for different purposes, but I unfollow anyone shitposting political crap in a heartbeat. I can't spend all my time on facebook arguing with people who aren't going to change their minds about anything. That's what this place is for after all...
Old 07-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
One day he linked the article where Jimmy Carter referred to Trump's election as illegitimate due to Russian trolling. He called Carter a coward and the worst U.S. president ever. So I decided to link the same article to my news feed with the caption "Now he's what a real president looks like!" (Yes, Carter was far from perfect, but bagging on the man is like kicking a puppy.)
My FB newsfeed recently included 2 photos side-by-side. One was of Ind-! whining about how the nasty Dems won't let him build his wall. The other was of Carter with his Habitat for Humanity group actually building a wall.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM

NM

-God

Last edited by Typo Negative; 07-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Man, which Canadian Conservative are you following? What I see may not "support" Trump, but it's certainly not anti-Trump, and they're all embracing the same stupid arguments that allowed the Trump phenomenon to take over the GOP.

Hell, they voted in Doug Fucking Ford just because he was the closest they could get to Trump right now.
Well, I disagree, but neither one of is is going to change the others mind.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:18 PM

How courageous of you to denounce these individuals in a forum they don't use and will never see. Most people would just call them assholes directly, or delete/block them. Not you. You're an internet hero. I, for one, am impressed.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:29 PM

From my ignorant brother-in-law's Facebook posts just since July 6:

Quote:
Did you know:
Barack Obama was the first president in 190 years to not include a citizenship question on the census.
Now activist judges are fighting to keep it off the Census permanently.
This is all part of the Democrat (sic) plan to radically reshape America.
They must be stopped.
Uh- that would be a no. I didn't know it because it wasn't true. The citizenship question has NEVER been a part of the short census form mailed to all households.

Quote:
Picture of Pelosi and Schumer captioned: Hear us loud and clear: we will step over every homeless American to give illegal aliens everything.
Staple of every Reich-wingers Facebook feed- we can do NOTHING for anyone else as long as any veteran (cue the choir going 'ooooooooh') is in need.

Quote:
Picture of protester holding up sign: "What kind of monsters put children in cages?" Picture of Obama raising his hand "This kind. And liberals voted for him twice.
Yeah, right. We saw EXACTLY the same atrocities under Obama.

Quote:
"Attention Mexico, Middle East, and the rest of the world. Twice we weren't happy with our country. We didn't flee to your country. We picked up guns and fought and died to make it right (Revolutionary War and the Civil War). Stay home and man up."
Right, those women and children fleeing the gangs of their native land could fix it all by gunning down all the bad guys. And what the fuck- the Civil War was an act of treason, no more, no less.

They post shit that is not true in any way, shape, or form and they hit the share button as long as it smears someone they don't like. Someone can quote Snopes and call out their bullshit and they don't give a flying fuck, there will be more comments saying how terrible the Democrats are for being evil bastards.

Not bigoted but fucking stupid is their insistence that Congress stole $2 trillion from Social Security. No, fuckwads. When SS ran surpluses they by law had to buy t-bills, which it will cash when needed like any other investor. They post this like they're concerned about SS but still vote for the party that spent 80 years fighting against Social Security and 50 years fighting against Medicare.

You can't reason with these dumb fucks, the only consolation is that a lot of them are getting up in years and will soon be dead and buried.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:30 PM
BANNED

Trump supporters are usually racist close minded assholes, this is news to you in 2019? In other news, water is wet. Normally people post here to rant about those they cannot otherwise contact, or other posters who will see it here. You have a perfectly valid way to tell those how you feel, but don't- why?

I appear to have unwittingly restated Oakminster's basic thoughts above, my apologies!

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-09-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:35 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
"Attention Mexico, Middle East, and the rest of the world. Twice we weren't happy with our country. We didn't flee to your country. We picked up guns and fought and died to make it right (Revolutionary War and the Civil War). Stay home and man up."

Wait one fucking minute here! Lot of those fighting the second time were fighting for slavery. Takeaway: slavery is what is right in America.

I've said it before here and no doubt it will be said again: these bigoted bastards are complete strangers to logic.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Don't hold back. Give 'em hell. If they unfriend you, so much the better.
I'm working them in my own way, trying to show them the light of a better way.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
Trump supporters are usually racist close minded assholes, this is news to you in 2019? In other news, water is wet. Normally people post here to rant about those they cannot otherwise contact, or other posters who will see it here. You have a perfectly valid way to tell those how you feel, but don't- why?

I appear to have unwittingly restated Oakminster's basic thoughts above, my apologies!
Awww, I'm someone's Internet Hero now! I feel so special....

And I have started expressing myself, by posting my own stuff there. Hence my comment about trolling them. Just wanted to blow off some steam about it.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
How courageous of you to denounce these individuals in a forum they don't use and will never see. Most people would just call them assholes directly, or delete/block them. Not you. You're an internet hero. I, for one, am impressed.
And you've never denounced anyone in a forum that they don't use and will never see?
What if the OP eventually decides to call them assholes (or delete/block), but still continues to post in this thread?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
How courageous of you to denounce these individuals in a forum they don't use and will never see.
This from the guy "courageous" enough to say "Fuck Donald Trump in the ass with an electric dildo wrapped in rusty barbed wire" in a forum Donald Trump doesn't use and will never see.

If you're going to start scolding people for complaining in the BBQ Pit about annoying individuals just because they may not be confronting those individuals in real life, you've really got your work cut out for you, beginning with the guy in your mirror.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 AM

There is only one way to defeat Republican misrule, and it's not posting on FB or on message boards, and it might require more than just voting. The only way Republican misrule will be defeated is by mass protest, mass demonstration, mass organization. We're past the point when just talking and voting will work.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
There is only one way to defeat Republican misrule, and it's not posting on FB or on message boards, and it might require more than just voting. The only way Republican misrule will be defeated is by mass protest, mass demonstration, mass organization. We're past the point when just talking and voting will work.
When you coming to DC and organizing a mass demonstration? I'll join you.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Saith the Biden supporter.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

I tried Facebook a couple of times, and just didn't like it much. But my wife's on there a lot, and she has the same problem with bigots in her feed. She grew up in a small town in central Florida, and many of her relatives are evangelicals - and serious MAGAts. She mutes (if that's the FB term) a lot of them. She wants to stay on good terms with them, and it's becoming more of a challenge.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
This from the guy "courageous" enough to say "Fuck Donald Trump in the ass with an electric dildo wrapped in rusty barbed wire" in a forum Donald Trump doesn't use and will never see.

If you're going to start scolding people for complaining in the BBQ Pit about annoying individuals just because they may not be confronting those individuals in real life, you've really got your work cut out for you, beginning with the guy in your mirror.
Donald Trump isn't on my Facebook friends list, so I have no meaningful way to contact him directly. For whatever it may be worth, many local officials and candidates are on my Facebook list, and frequently receive the benefit of my wisdom on various topics. Typically phrased in my own colorful vernacular.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Donald Trump isn't on my Facebook friends list, so I have no meaningful way to contact him directly. For whatever it may be worth, many local officials and candidates are on my Facebook list, and frequently receive the benefit of my wisdom on various topics. Typically phrased in my own colorful vernacular.
I think he's on twitter if I heard right.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
And I think I know just how much it means to them.

Back to the topic, Facebook fake news is a real problem. There are people who use Facebook as a major source of their news and I fear some use is as their sole source of news. I have seen countless posts that are demonstrably false, and if you check the comments they're often debunked thoroughly but comments subsequent to the debunking piss and moan about how terrible that fake news is. Even Fox News has some standards, the bots who make these fake memes have no standards other than spreading false information.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Donald Trump isn't on my Facebook friends list, so I have no meaningful way to contact him directly.
Which makes it even more cowardly, by your own silly rationale, for you to (anonymously) hurl obscenities at him on an internet messageboard that he'll never see. You are cravenly using the safety of your obscurity and inability to get access to Trump as an excuse to shit-talk him behind his back.

A more rational way of looking at it is that anybody is allowed to complain in the BBQ Pit about anything they don't like, and venting anonymously about somebody else's political views, whether you know them in person or not, has nothing to do with courage or the lack of it.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:41 AM

Hey I'm impressed that you used rationale in a rational way.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Saith the Biden supporter.
FTR, I am not necessarily committed to Biden at this point, but that out of the way, I don't think voting for Biden necessarily precludes mass demonstration or protest. I think that Biden's approach to appealing to moderates still makes sense because in the end, regardless of what mass demonstration achieves, we still need a government that can actually govern. And the only realistic way to have that is to approach the political arena with a willingness to fight for principles on one hand while simultaneously knowing when we've gone as far as we can with the opposition and finding opportunities for short-term gain. The political environment in 2009-10 was pretty well polarized even then, and yet Obama found a way to navigate that environment and convince a handful of Republican senators to get on board with Obamacare, which isn't a perfect scheme but better than what existed before.

'Revolution' means nothing if you don't have people in power who are capable of building coalitions and who would rather hold out foolishly for provisions that the opposition won't ever agree to when you could accomplish at least some measure of improvement in the near term. That's what the House Twittercrats don't quite seem to understand yet.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
FTR, I am not necessarily committed to Biden at this point, but that out of the way, I don't think voting for Biden necessarily precludes mass demonstration or protest.
Theoretically not, but do you really think you're going to get big protests from the left during a Biden administration, unless Biden turns out to be a disaster from a liberal POV?

There's an argument to be made for Biden. I happen to disagree with that argument, as you know. But if you're saying "[t]he only way Republican misrule will be defeated is by mass protest, mass demonstration, mass organization," and you're simultaneously arguing that we need to throw our weight behind the most moderate political candidate, you're arguing with yourself, not me.

I'll just step out while you duke it out with yourself.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Theoretically not, but do you really think you're going to get big protests from the left during a Biden administration, unless Biden turns out to be a disaster from a liberal POV?

There's an argument to be made for Biden. I happen to disagree with that argument, as you know. But if you're saying "[t]he only way Republican misrule will be defeated is by mass protest, mass demonstration, mass organization," and you're simultaneously arguing that we need to throw our weight behind the most moderate political candidate, you're arguing with yourself, not me.

I'll just step out while you duke it out with yourself.
Wait, I'm bandaging my eye, which I injured as a result of punching myself. Okay, there! Now I'm back.

Okay, so yes, I don't think these two streams of thought run in opposition to one another. I think Barack Obama and FDR were examples of bold revolutionaries with similar impulses but who administered the country differently because while there were some parallels to their ascendant, there were also some important differences. They took the opportunities that were available to them, which is the essence of pragmatism, and pragmatism is how to govern effectively.

I've heard the complaint that Obama didn't go far enough, but he simply did not have the support that he needed. People comparing him to FDR and suggesting that his brand of progressivism fell woefully short of Roosevelt's are forgetting that Roosevelt inherited not just a recession, but a depression -- that had been in effect and worsening for three solid years. The country was desperate, and the energy was borderline revolutionary, which is why it was favorable to reforms that would have been unthinkable even at the start of the depression in late 1928 and even later when the market collapsed in the fall of 1929. By contrast, Obama and his allies had no such mandate. Nevertheless, Obama got passed the stimulus that jump-started the era of economic growth that continues nearly a decade later to this day. He also got the ACA done, which has only become a more popular piece of legislation with time.

Maybe I'm not so much defending Biden himself as much as I am offering a spirited defense of political pragmatism and knowing the boundaries of passion. The concern I have, which I've expressed on various threads, is that Trump's divisiveness is more and more Democrats into the reactionary quadrant, which is not where the party needs to be. On the reverse side of that coin, I would fully agree that there are going to be times when even moderates have to have boundaries that cannot be crossed. And like you, I share the concern that some leaders in the democratic party may not recognize those boundaries until it's too late.

Last edited by asahi; 07-11-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Which makes it even more cowardly, by your own silly rationale, for you to (anonymously) hurl obscenities at him on an internet messageboard that he'll never see. You are cravenly using the safety of your obscurity and inability to get access to Trump as an excuse to shit-talk him behind his back.

A more rational way of looking at it is that anybody is allowed to complain in the BBQ Pit about anything they don't like, and venting anonymously about somebody else's political views, whether you know them in person or not, has nothing to do with courage or the lack of it.
Bullshit. Trump is a public figure, not some random asshat on Facebook. Completely different scenario.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Bullshit. Trump is a public figure, not some random asshat on Facebook. Completely different scenario.
Bullshit.

Kimstu's logic is applied accurately. That move, Oakminster, was total chickenshit.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Bullshit.

Kimstu's logic is applied accurately. That move, Oakminster, was total chickenshit.
Blow me you sanctimonious pissant.

How's that?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:

I have an Aunt in Barrie that loves Doug Ford. I currently have her hidden from my feed.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
I'm not following your reasoning, here. Why does Trump being a public figure make it a different scenario?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
Why does Trump being a public figure make it a different scenario?
It doesn't, as far as the courageousness or cowardliness of venting about his politics on an anonymous messageboard is concerned. There is nothing wrong with anonymously complaining about Donald Trump, one's unidentified Facebook pals, or anybody else here in the BBQ Pit.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I'm not following your reasoning, here. Why does Trump being a public figure make it a different scenario?
Because commenting on a public figure is not the same as some random asshat on the internet. People on this very forum are capable of ascertaining, from media reports, whether Trump should or should not get sodomized in whichever colorful way I previously suggested. We have no way to evaluate random asshats on Facebook. Our OP may be well grounded in fact, with sound reasoning to support his position...or he may be the random asshat blathering on about other people that no one here will ever know anything about.

Executive summary: Public Figures--fair game for public bashing. Private figures, not so much.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Blow me you sanctimonious pissant.
Fuck you and the horse you rode in on. Kiss my hairy ass.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Executive summary: Public Figures--fair game for public bashing. Private figures, not so much.
Something changed in the past dozen years?
Old 07-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Because commenting on a public figure is not the same as some random asshat on the internet.
From the point of view of the public figure or random asshat who will never know they're being anonymously bitched about on a forum they're unaware of, it's exactly the same. Which is why it's so silly to pretend that anonymously bitching about anybody on an internet forum explicitly dedicated to anonymous bitching somehow demonstrates a lack of courage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster
We have no way to evaluate random asshats on Facebook. Our OP may be well grounded in fact, with sound reasoning to support his position...or he may be the random asshat blathering on about other people that no one here will ever know anything about.
Doesn't matter. This forum does not require posters to restrict their anonymous bitching only to subjects whose objective Pittability can be independently evaluated by other posters. And furthermore, the issue of independent evaluation by other posters of the objective validity of the Pitting has jack-shit to do with the issue of the Pitter's personal courage.