Old 03-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

What are the itty-bitty bits you love in certain songs?

Whenever I hear the Eagles sing "Take it (very dramatic pause) to the limit one more time," I just love that little silent pause. For me, it makes the whole song.

Similarly, when Men At Work sing "Who could it be bow?" and the horn kicks in the those five notes, I just love it.

When Bob Seeger sings the chorus to "Old Time Rock and Roll" and the drummer does that short drum roll, I go crazy. It sounds so cool.

You have any tiny, tiny parts of songs that you just love?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Shania Twain's "Any Man of Mine", they could make a whole song out of the ending line-dance part: https://youtu.be/8N2k-gv6xNE?t=193

The Breeders "Drivin on 9", the fiddle part really works for me, especially when the drums come in: https://youtu.be/GPGGDFt1D2c?t=114

Metallica "The Struggle Within", that pause and cool heavy riff is awesome: https://youtu.be/SFdN3syFxeY?t=170
Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 AM

The "da-da-DA-da" at 28 seconds into "Springtime for Hitler," and the big buildup to the chorus line at 1:38. The cutaways to Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXHRX8Q2hs
Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

About 2:20 into Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" the drum riff is just perfect.

https://youtu.be/_Uu12zY01ts?t=940

Two notes in Yes's "Yours in No Disgrace" at just the right time, at 8:12 into the over 9 minute song.

https://youtu.be/1fUudna1Xuw?t=485
Old 03-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post

That is one of my favorites as well. Not complicated, but just . . . one of my favorite drum fills/transitions. A highlight moment of the song.

That actually reminded me of another similar spot for me; the drum fill coming out of the instrumental solo back into the verse at the end of Dave Matthews' Band's "Ants Marching" (4:04-4:07)

https://youtu.be/GhswH1bLMy8?t=240
Old 03-19-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Two notes in Yes's "Yours in No Disgrace" at just the right time, at 8:12 into the over 9 minute song.

From that description, I *knew* which two notes it was going to be. In a 9 minute song.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougs View Post
From that description, I *knew* which two notes it was going to be. In a 9 minute song.
I have no idea why it always puts a smile on my face. It's such a lighthearted moment in an otherwise serious song.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Some versions of Fat Bottomed Girls have a quick, "clap clap" during a brief pause. I can't find it on Youtube, but here is the Glee version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEVaxtC430M#t=43
Old 05-12-2019, 12:54 PM

Two things that I love singing along to whenever the song comes up:

Those "Rha da dant da's" in The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be" (aka "I would walk 500 miles").

"Little old lady got mutilated late last night" from Zevron's "Werewolves of London"--not the sentiment, but all those Ls.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:13 PM

Some bits off the the top of my head include the following Beatles bits:
Interplay between groovy baseline and lead guitar lick in this "Deer Prudence" bit.
Galloping bass in "Old Brown Shoe". (heh - or is that guitar?)

Jon Anderson's little "woo-do-ooo-ya" (or whatever) at exactly 3:10 .

Two bits here from The Folksmen:
Guest's baaah-ing sheep-like "Welllllllllllll" and Shearer's "E......A......O's"

For a super tiny bit - John's "ooo" segue (from refrain to verse) at exactly 1:52

The Skids (eventually became Big Country, I think) - total night and day tempo (everything!) change at exactly 0:52

The wonderful Seth Putnam going "No way!" (followed by sublime guitar licks that pan between left and right channels) at exactly 46:51
Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Tom Petty's Running Down a Dream has a cool guitar part right after every time he says "running down a dream".

J. Geil's Freeze Frame - After every line the background singers go "dee-da-lee-da-dee". I end up listening to that more than the main singer.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

The Who, "Behind Blue Eyes"

"But my dreams, they aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be"

In the middle of the word "dreams", Roger Daltrey's voice casually pops up about an octave, then scales back down, hitting every note perfectly.

It's not nearly as easy as Daltrey makes it seem.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

The short guitar part at the end of each line of Brenda Lee's "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree."

In Santana's "Soul Sacrifice," the four-beat silence just before the end.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM

A couple from The Cars:

The guitar bit just after the third "it's all mixed up" in "All Mixed Up." 43 seconds in...

The awesome break/segue from "Shooby Doo" to "Candy-O" on their second album.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
A couple from The Cars:

The guitar bit just after the third "it's all mixed up" in "All Mixed Up." 43 seconds in...

The awesome break/segue from "Shooby Doo" to "Candy-O" on their second album.
In the same vein as your second example, the insane seque from "Friends" to "Celebration Day" on Led Zeppelin III.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:52 PM

Figured I'd maybe read the thread, this time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
In the same vein as your second example, the insane seque from "Friends" to "Celebration Day" on Led Zeppelin III.
Yes, always a great segue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Fleetwood Mac: On the first line of the chorus, the female voices sing "You can go your own way," and the man kicks in "GO YOUR OWN WAY." I love the way he sings it.
In that song, I like Lindsay's scorching guitar noodling (3:22) at the end of his solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Hall & Oates "Private Eyes" (clap, clap) they're watching you. I love the clap, clap.
Speaking of claps, I like the ones in in "O-bla-di, O-bla-da" at the five second mark , and how they double up with the snare at the beginning of Cinnamon Girl .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
The guitar riff in Boston's "More Than A Feeling." It really should be illegal to play in the car because when I look down I am doing 87mph.
Heh, the mutated "Louie Louie" riff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
In The Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me... 3:43[/URL].
Ah yes, the hi-hat/snare interplay, there, makes it one of my all time favourite drum fills. Snazzy as fuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
In high school, I had that same problem with "Synchronicity II" by the Police. I actually took the tape out of my car.
Same feeling. Hated "Top Gun", but always thought that "Sync II" would've enhanced some of the flight scenes. (As well as Genesis's "Duke's End".)

Just a couple more of what I'm sure there's tons:

The cough in VU's "Who Loves the Sun" at 1:05 . I guess they tried to edit it out for the remastering, but you can still just barely hear it, with headphones. (btw - headphones are an imperative for the guitar-panning splendour in the AxCx number, in my previous post, #156).

The sneaky, slightly farty bass(?) (or farfisa?) riffs all throughout Zep's "Custard Pie", most notable here at exactly 0:30 .

I looooove the flowing guitar riff at 0:19 in Steely Dan's "King of the World".

Don't know why this tune gives me goose bumps - maybe it's the way The Turtles sing the chorus in a major key at 1:41 and then shift the chorus into a minor, more "heartwrenching" key at 1:58. (heh - or maybe it's the louche swagger to the drumming that's doin it for me.)

Steve Gadd's fills in the "Aja" title track. Actually - frick it - the rest of his drumming outro-ing the song, especially that totally hoppin, salsa-inflected beat carried mainly on the cup of the ride: scrumptious.

John Wetton goin "WOO!" at 8:29 in "Fracture".

Jimi's wavering guitar at beginning of "Foxey Lady" (here, in this pretty cool Miami video. )

Billy's ack-kack-kack-kack's .

The epic, suspense-building opening minute or so of IMO Queen's RAWKINGEST number, "You Are Here" .

More farty goodness - the farfisa organ at the beginning of IMO Stevie Wonder's catchiest number, "Boogie On Reggae Woman" .

Two ZZ top drum fills from "La Grange" at 1:09 and 2:20 .
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

A vocal one from Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody: Gotta leave you all being and face the truth.

The way the singer's voice gets deeper and huskier on the last two words is genius.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 PM

Meat Loaf's "I Would Do Anything for Love": The dramatic drums interspersed with the chorus starting at 3:20 (link).

Thompson Square "Are You Going to Kiss Me or Not": Through out the song, the line "Are you going to kiss me or not" is sung as a duet, except for at one point at 2:15 when only the male singer sings it. I've always loved that particular part of the song. (link)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

We actually have a poster named after this piece, K364:

Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante in E-Flat Major, from 5:08 to 5:25.

Then there's this, from Mozart's 40th symphony, 1st movement from 5:50 to 6:33. Yeah, longer than a moment, sorry.

Lastly, there's the ending to the 4th movement of his 41st symphony, from here to the end.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Ugh, those last two don't really match the thread. Gonna leave them anyway - I like Smalin's YouTube work.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:50 PM

Blues Traveler's The Hook. The second time John Popper sings the last line of the chorus "...on that you can rely" and it's this mini vocal gymnastic, I guess it qualifies as melisma, only it's not annoying.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

In The Band's "It Makes No Difference" from 3:50-3:55 out of the bridge and back into the chorus. The open-close hi-hat line and simple fill to the break when all the instruments stop except for the soaring echoy strings, and then the drum + vocal pickup into the harmony at the top of the chorus. Musical perfection.

https://youtu.be/y_SF6ZDvin4?t=224
Old 03-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I am not fluent in music terminology.

There's a part in "Tempted" by Squeeze where the drummer does something very different from what he has been doing up to that point that is my favorite part of that song.

I am also a huge fan of the second guitar solo in "Dogs" by Pink Floyd, possibly because that's usually the part of the song I'd be hearing when I got back from the bathroom when I was a DJ in college.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I am not fluent in music terminology.

There's a part in "Tempted" by Squeeze where the drummer does something very different from what he has been doing up to that point that is my favorite part of that song.

This?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:50 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Sadly, that takes me to a link that says "Video unavailable."

I can say that it's at about 2:45 on the Singles & 45s version of the song.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I am also a huge fan of the second guitar solo in "Dogs" by Pink Floyd
I too am a sucker for double-tracked guitar solos. See also the solo arouynd 2:20 in The Allman Brothers's Blue Sky.

Last edited by breezman; 07-10-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Radiohead's Black Star: when the second vocal line threads in on the line "I keep falling over, I keep passing out".

Stereo MCs' Connected: the tiny bit where everything drops out. "Interstate 5, stayin' alive..."

Tori Amos' Cornflake Girl : when the bass slides in during the opening jangle.

Last edited by Yorkshire Pudding; 03-19-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

I still laugh when I hear Arlo sing the last two words of "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant (excepting Alice)."
Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight at 3:14.

How do you link a video at a certain time?

Also, The Beatles 3:28.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight at 3:14.

How do you link a video at a certain time?

Add the following to the end of your YouTube urls (don't know if it works with Vimeo):

&t=3m14s

&t=3m28s

(You can also do &t=194s if you know how many seconds have elapsed.)

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Add the following to the end of your YouTube urls (don't know if it works with Vimeo):

&t=3m14s

&t=3m28s

Or, you can right click on the video at the appropriate moment and then left click on "Copy video URL at current time." Your computer will automatically record the URL for you to transfer to your post.

Last edited by terentii; 03-19-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

&t=3m14s

&t=3m28s

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post

Good god, yes! I love, love, love that guitar play between John and George!

I also like finding the mistakes or oddities in older rock recordings (some people have mentioned the fret hand squeaks) and will often replay them. Things like when they physically turn on an overdrive box. Modern recordings are too squeaky clean so I like hearing the more raw, put down on tape recordings from the 60's and 70's.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM

I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?

Notable squeaky songs would be Wish You Were Here, and Every Breath You Take. Lots more, but those are two of my favorites.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?

Notable squeaky songs would be Wish You Were Here, and Every Breath You Take. Lots more, but those are two of my favorites.
Yes! I don't know what they're called either but I like that too, especially on WYWH.

Sort of related is a sound toward the end of How Your Remind Me by Nickelback (shut up man, it's a good tune ).

He sings "This is how you remind me" then there's a rest and a subtle (strum? pluck?) of a string. Just seems very well placed and I always listen closely to hear it.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Related : hearing a cellist's fingertips tapping the fingerboard when playing. Sexy.

I haven't checked this particular link, but I remember this being quite noticeable in Pieter Wispelwey's second recording of the Bach Cello Suites
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement
Old 03-22-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil View Post
a cellist's fingertips tapping the fingerboard when playing. Sexy.
Almost impossibly so. Like it's the definition of sexy. Despite the fact that my mother-in-law is a cellist...

*scrubs eyes with wire brush*
Old 03-24-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Yep, I generally enjoy that. Other examples:
  • Rock'n Me by Steve Miller - right from the beginning of the track
  • Burnin' for You by Blue Oyster Cult - in the chorus while they're singing "Burning for you..."
Another example I'm almost reluctant to mention: in "By Your Side" by Sade, there are some very jarring squeaks, which I somehow never noticed until someone pointed them out. Now I can't unhear them, and they've ruined the mood of the song for me.

Last edited by LLCoolL; 03-24-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
Another example I'm almost reluctant to mention: in "By Your Side" by Sade, there are some very jarring squeaks, which I somehow never noticed until someone pointed them out. Now I can't unhear them, and they've ruined the mood of the song for me.
I think those might have been deliberate or even added later. They make an interesting counterpoint.

I always notice the squeaks in the chorus of Open Letter to a Landlord by Living Colour. Unpretty by TLC alos has a lot of guitar squeak.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this? ......
For some reason, this reminded me of "Don't Look Back" (title track) by Boston. In the bridge, the guitarist is playing the song's main riffs at a slower tempo with a bit less distortion. During little pauses between chord changes, he makes a scratching sound. (I presume he's striking the strings but holding them down somehow to prevent them ringing.) It's a very cool effect. Occurs a few times between about 2:37 to 2:52:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPLOVJ0u94
Old 03-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I think the quintessential example of this is Brian May's fretting at the end of 'We Will Rock You' from Queen. No cite (because I have none due to it's probably not true), but I like to believe it is Rock and Rolls most obvious first example of this. It's because as a kid it's the first time I heard the effect and over the decades of listening to the song, that eighth note lead in squeak at the start of each measure just makes that guitar solo.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Flubbing? (I'm sure it's intentional sometimes)
(Oh oh! I better not have heard ole Johnny do that at 0:20, 0:31, and [bad ones!] 0:39 and 0:50!!!)

Ima gonna be an apostate and mention a bit I'm not too crazy about and that's when Robert Plant does the uh-uh-AH! uh-uh-AH! AH-uh-uh! AH-uh-uh! thing at 7:29 in what's actually one of my top five Zep numbers - "Achilles Last Stand".

In ELP's "From the Beginning", I like the almost Spanish-sounding (?) "flourish" at 1:13 and 2:04 .

Great expression - 'pulling out all the stops', and Rick Wakeman uses that to great, (and, for me - dare I say spine-tingling) effect at 3:00 .

He does it more subtly at 3:17 and 3:23 in one of my favourite rock passages.

ETA: Actually Tony Kaye does the "Wurm" keys.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM

The song Pepper by the Butthole Surfers has a line that I've always loved.
I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes
Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken lies

If the song is on when I stop my car I always wait to here that line before getting out.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM

The spoke intro in David Bowie's Modern Love. What does it mean? Why is it there? Why is it simply discarded for the rest of the song? It puts an interesting bit of chaos into an otherwise mechanical repetitive song and somehow makes the whole piece shine more brightly.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:16 PM

That final, higher pitched "ting" at the end of the acoustic guitar refrain from Fleetwood Mac's Never Going Back Again.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Two bits from "Do Ya," one of my favorite songs, by one of my favorite bands (Electric Light Orchestra):

The ascending series of vocal notes after the bridge (at 2:29), backed by the strings: "But I (I! I! I! I!!!)"

The drum fill, with the sound of a jet plane in the background (at 2:48)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:22 PM

In the 1982 Patrick Cowley remix of Donna Summer's I Feel Love, there is a little synth motif that kicks in after the the first vocal line after the big instrumental in the middle. I freaking love it.

You'll find it round about the 2:52 mark here, but I'm posting the link from 2:40 so you can hear it in context.

https://youtu.be/Y4chZqsyobg?t=160
Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

In Rage Against The Machine's "Freedom" when Zach whispers "anger is a gift" right before the song explodes back in. At 3:42 here.

Also in the Black Keys' "Tighten Up" where the guitar is played backwards or melts or some shit, I don't even know. At 3:00 here.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Mine is actually a transition between two songs, "Ashes of American Flags" and "Heavy Metal Drummer" on Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot". The last part of Ashes of American Flags kind of devolves into a series of random noises and sound clips, ending with a very distorted version of the piano riff that starts Heavy Metal Drummer. Then a brief pause, a couple of beats from a drum machine, then the actual intro to Heavy Metal Drummer.

My description sucks, but it's very well done, and fun to listen to.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM

In CCR's "Down On The Corner," someone lets out a whistle during the instrumental break. (1:22 in this video.) Just a single note that lasts a fraction of a second - but somehow that whistle makes the whole song for me.