Old 08-30-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Yvonne Craig in Whom Gods Destroy.
Steve Ihnat ("Garth of Izar" in that episode) and Jason Evers ("Rael" in "Wink of an Eye") were in an especially memorable episode of Mission: Impossible (along with Ed Asner). Evers was a US double agent; Ihnat was an enemy assassin with an eidetic memory. Phelps's plan was to trick Ihnat into thinking Evers had been set up by the Americans, thereby confirming his creds as a Communist agent. It almost didn't work, and Evers came to within a hair of being liquidated.

Last edited by terentii; 08-30-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I guess Takei needed the money, but Nimoy?
I can't speak for his 1986 role (though that movie had a lot of famous folks - Orson Welles and Robert Stack among them) but Nimoy's wife is Michael Bay's cousin, so that might explain the 2013 movie. Though apparently Nimoy had wanted to do another Transformers role anyways (and had been considered for the second film).
Old 08-31-2017, 06:37 AM

John de Lancie (Q) was in the movie Reign Over Me, starring Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle, and also was in a short-lived series called Legend which starred Richard Dean Anderson.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:45 AM

Clint Howard ("Balok" in "The Corbomite Maneuver") was the bald USAF radar operator in the Austin Powers movies.

"Sir, it looks like a giant---"

"Willie!"
Old 08-31-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Lee Meriwether ("Losira" in "That Which Survives") turned up as a perky suburban housewife in an episode of Leave It to Beaver. I used to love watching her in Time Tunnel when I was in sixth grade.
Whit Bissel ("Mr Lurry" in "The Trouble with Tribbles") was also in Time Tunnel, of course (as "General Kirk" ).
Old 08-31-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
...And she was the drugged Englishwoman who was substituted for Cinnamon Carter in the "human trafficking" episode of the original Mission: Impossible.
Joseph Ruskin ("Galt" in "Gamesters of Triskelion") was in this episode as well, playing an evil Arab slave master.

Alfred Ryder ("Dr Crater" in "The Man Trap") was an evil Communist spymaster in "The Diplomat" on M:I.

I see at IMDb that Harry Basch ("Brown the Android" in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?") was in "The Diplomat" as well!

Last edited by terentii; 08-31-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

One of the more interesting ones for me is Robert Picardo, "Doctor" on Voyager, who was very visible in lots of films, but who I never noticed until his Star Trek role (I never watched [China Beach, so I didn't originally know about his other regular "Doctor" role as the redundant Dr. Dick Richard)

He's the Hit Man "The Cowboy" in InnerSpace and the theater owner in Matinee and the voice of Johnnycab in the original Total Recall (and I think they based the appearance of the Cab Driver on him, too).

You wouldn't recognize him, though, in his part in the film Legend. I knew about it from reading credits, but he was unrecognizable under a ton of makeup as "Meg Mucklebones"

He's also unrecognizable as Wak and Neek's father (and as Starkiller, although I still didn't recognize him) in Explorers, but I admit I didn't know that until I looked it up on iMDB
Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
One of the more interesting ones for me is Robert Picardo, "Doctor" on Voyager, who was very visible in lots of films, but who I never noticed until his Star Trek role (I never watched [China Beach, so I didn't originally know about his other regular "Doctor" role as the redundant Dr. Dick Richard)
I never watched China Beach either, but I knew him from his other prominent TV role in that period--the dickish Coach Cutlip on The Wonder Years.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Dr. Phlox (John Billingsley) pops up all over the place. He's one of those lucky character actors who is always working.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post

He's the Hit Man "The Cowboy" in InnerSpace and the theater owner in Matinee and the voice of Johnnycab in the original Total Recall (and I think they based the appearance of the Cab Driver on him, too).

You wouldn't recognize him, though, in his part in the film Legend. I knew about it from reading credits, but he was unrecognizable under a ton of makeup as "Meg Mucklebones"

He's also unrecognizable as Wak and Neek's father (and as Starkiller, although I still didn't recognize him) in Explorers, but I admit I didn't know that until I looked it up on iMDB
Not a prominent role, but he appeared in two episodes of Home Improvement as Tim "The Tool Man's" neighbor. His other neighbor, not Wilson.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM

William Shatner in White Comanche. Hoo boy.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
You just reminded me of this series that starred Michael "Kang" Ansara:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Arrow_(TV_series)

Note that in the photo, he's about to smoke a peace pipe with Anthony Caruso, aka "Bela Oxmyx" in "A Piece of the Action"!

And Leonard Nimoy is listed as a guest star!

Last edited by terentii; 08-31-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Note that in the photo, he's about to smoke a peace pipe with Anthony Caruso, aka "Bela Oxmyx" in "A Piece of the Action"!

And Leonard Nimoy is listed as a guest star!
At IMDb, so are Billy Curtis, Barry Russo, Morgan Woodward, Paul Fix, and Whit Bissel. And John Meredyth Lucas was one of the series' writers.

Last edited by terentii; 08-31-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Correct link.

Last edited by terentii; 08-31-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:55 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Are all Shatner characters invincible with their shirt torn or gone, as is Captain Kirk?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Are all Shatner characters invincible with their shirt torn or gone, as is Captain Kirk?
You get a bonus in White Comanche. Shatner has a dual role so you get dueling shirtless Shatners in this movie.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You get a bonus in White Comanche. Shatner has a dual role so you get dueling shirtless Shatners in this movie.
"Dueling Shirtless Shatners" = rock band name?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The irresistible force meets the unmovable object.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Young George Takei was in an episode of Perry Mason- he's in love with the (female) defendant.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:15 PM

Celia Lovsky ("T'Pau") was in "Queen of the Nile" on Twilight Zone. (This episode was ghost written by Jerry Sohl, who wrote "The Corbomite Maneuver.") She was also John ("Sgt Schultz") Banner's wife in the movie 36 Hours.

Armin Shimerman ("Quark") and Brian George ("Richard Bashir") were both on Seinfeld (as "Stan the Caddy" and "Babu," respectively).

Last edited by terentii; 08-31-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:39 PM

I never realized that Worf's son Alexander was played by the same actor who played "Andy Keaton" in Family Ties (Brian Bonsall).
Old 09-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Just saw Robert Picardo as "The Cowboy" in 1987's Innerspace
Old 09-01-2017, 06:55 PM

Armin Shimerman (Quark) was in an episode of Married With Children. He had a female Briard (breed of dog) that he wanted Buck to mate with.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:49 AM

Lycia Naff, who played Ensign Sonya Gomez in TNG, was the Three-Breasted-Hooker in Total recall.
Brent Spiner interviewed Rachel for some job in Friends.
Colm Meaney played Don Revie in The Damned United.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:36 PM

What I find interesting is how many of the actors from TNG, DS9 and VOY are directing now.
The Mentalist had many ST alumni as directors, and Robert Picardo had a recurring role.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Dr. Phlox (John Billingsley) pops up all over the place. He's one of those lucky character actors who is always working.
I spotted his name in the series Intelligence. At first i thought it was somebody else because he looked too old.

Years ago I saw Rene Auberjonois star in a really bizarre movie called Brewster McCloud. I'd forgotten he'd appeared several times on Wearhouse 13. He's done a bunch of cartoon voices as well.
Jonathan Frakes is doing the voice of J'son on The Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon series.
John DeLancie occasionally does the voice of Discord on My Little Pony and is willing to admit he's a brony.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:13 PM

Armin Shimmerman played a doctor in the Jean Claude Van Damme film Death Warrant.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:12 AM

In "The Brothers Karamazov" (1958), William Shatner plays the younger brother, Alexi.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Clint Howard ("Balok" in "The Corbomite Maneuver") was the bald USAF radar operator in the Austin Powers movies.

"Willie!"
He also played Grady in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" episode "Past Tense: Part 2".
Old 09-03-2017, 09:11 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

"Willie!"
He somehow got into many Ron Howard movies.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I spotted his name in the series Intelligence. At first i thought it was somebody else because he looked too old.
My favorite Dr. Phlox appearance was right around the same time as Star Trek: Enterprise. He got clocked with a frying pan by his long-suffering wife in one of the Six Feet Under opening sequences.

Looking at his IMDB page, he also shows up in the new Twin Peaks, as "Doctor Ben."
Old 09-03-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
My favorite Dr. Phlox appearance was right around the same time as Star Trek: Enterprise. He got clocked with a frying pan by his long-suffering wife in one of the Six Feet Under opening sequences.

Looking at his IMDB page, he also shows up in the new Twin Peaks, as "Doctor Ben."
They put him to great use on Leverage, as a no-nonsense head of security crisply pitting his attention-to-detail skills against otherwise-amazing art thieves who keep finding their plans foiled; recounting the story years later, those professional criminals reluctantly conclude that, man, that guy was so shrewd an operator that he might be smarter than the planner who currently masterminds their heists.

Spoiler alert: we then get to see why they cast John Billingsley in the role.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
He somehow got into many Ron Howard movies.
... And at least one episode of Happy Days,* too.

*The only one I ever watched.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:27 PM

I rewatched the entire run of Frasier recently and I was surprised at how many Trek people turned up in that show:

- Of course, Kelsey Grammer himself and his on-screen ex-wife Bebe Neuwirth are both TNG alumni
- Nana Visitor shows up as a guest at one of Niles' parties in his apartment at the Montana
- Someone already mentioned Rene Auberjonois plays Frasier's old college psych professor
- Robert Picardo is the son of Martin's bully boss
- Patrick Stewart plays Alistair Burke, who mistakenly thinks Frasier is gay
- Saul Rubinek appears many times as Niles' divorce lawyer and Daphne's fiance
- Brent Spiner has one appearance as the pale guy sitting next to Lilith on the flight she takes to ask Frasier for his sperm
Old 09-03-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
What I find interesting is how many of the actors from TNG, DS9 and VOY are directing now.
The Mentalist had many ST alumni as directors, and Robert Picardo had a recurring role.
Still finishing up The Mentalist. John DeLancie just showed up.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:38 PM

Next episode Mark Harelik.

It's almost like an early Hollywood studio system at work here.

Last edited by CelticKnot; 09-03-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 AM

As a little side track here, I sometimes "have an ear" for voices.

In the recently released XCOM 2: War of the Chosen DLC/expansion, some TNG alumni have done some voice acting work:

Denise Crosby, John De Lancie, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:15 PM

The 1960s Tarzan series, starring Ron Ely as the apeman, is on Saturday mornings on the Heroes and Icons channel. Nichelle Nichols was in a two-parter called "Tarzan's Deadly Silence." And William Marshall (Dr. Richard Daystrom) has been in a couple episodes.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Another TOS--Batman crossover: Joan Collins ("Edith Keeler" and "The Siren").
Old 09-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Nichelle Nichols in this cinematic masterpiece.

I believe Netflix still has it on disc. We actually watched it because a friend of ours is one of the principal characters.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Nichelle Nichols in this cinematic masterpiece.
This one too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281373/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt
Old 09-10-2017, 09:59 PM

James Doohan died on screen in The Satan Bug, released in 1965. I don't think he had any dialog. Creepy death scene, well acted.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
James Doohan died on screen in The Satan Bug, released in 1965. I don't think he had any dialog. Creepy death scene, well acted.
Cool! Alistair MacLean is one of my favorite authors. I do not recall how faithfully the film followed the book. I do recall Richard Basehart as the bad guy.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Young George Takei was in an episode of Perry Mason- he's in love with the (female) defendant.
He was also in an episode of Marcus Welby, MD with hippie sideburns and a hot (Asian female) dinner date.

Big wire-rimmed glasses, too. Very '70s.

Last edited by terentii; 09-10-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
...Rene Auberjonois on Wonder Woman (and with a costarring role on Benson.)
I think I first saw him in a low-budget PBS TV movie about Fort Necessity and the French and Indian War. He was pretty good as a young George Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Kate Mulgrew (Capt.Janeway) played in the soap opera 'Ryan's Hope'
She was on Cheers a few times too, I think, and played Mrs. Columbo on Kate Loves A Mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Colm Meaney was Miles O'Brien on STNG and a major character on Hell on Wheels (Thomas Durrant)....
He was good as a gruff but beloved soccer coach in The Damned United.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Not a TV show, but Shatner was excellent in the 1962 film The Intruder.
I remember seeing him in the early Seventies in an educational film about choosing the right career. It would've been only a few years after his first Star Trek run, and he was very good in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Jeffery Hunter was a movie star before he was Captain Pike so he was obviously in a lot of things. Flipping through the channels one night I came across the movie Hell to Eternity in which Hunter is horribly miscast as a Mexican American....
Well, he had played a guy named Jesus before...: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kings_(1961_film)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Robert Picardo (the EMH on Voyager) has bit part in "Back To School" (he plays one of the guys Rodney Dangerfield's wife is cheating with) - that movie also features Terry Farrell (of DS9 of course) in a major role. Picardo is also the deadly hitman in "Innerspace" which is in retrospect, hilarious.
He was also in John Candy's last (and critically-panned) film, Wagons East!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Takei was also in a movie whose name escapes me at the moment. He played the commandant of a Japanese POW camp who was tried and hung after the war for his maltreatment of Australian prisoners.

Last edited by terentii; 09-11-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
I think I first saw him in a low-budget PBS TV movie about Fort Necessity and the French and Indian War. He was pretty good as a young George Washington.
Wasn't this the incident where Washington bushwhacked a French contingent looking to parley? Ouch!
Old 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Wasn't this the incident where Washington bushwhacked a French contingent looking to parley? Ouch!
Accounts differ, but yes: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...he-white-house
Old 09-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Takei was also in a movie whose name escapes me at the moment. He played the commandant of a Japanese POW camp who was tried and hung after the war for his maltreatment of Australian prisoners.
Wow. Takei was in a camp in Rohwer, Arkansas during WWII.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Penny Johnson Jerald, who played Kasidy Yates on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, is now playing Dr. Claire Finn in The Orville, a new Seth McFarlane sci-fi comedy. It debuted last night, and I enjoyed it.