Old 10-06-2019, 08:47 PM

If rock bands traded personnel

Sports teams regular trade personal if rock bands could loan out personal what would be some good trades.only catch they have to be from the same era.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Trade personal what?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:17 PM

Not exactly a trade but after George Harrison and John Entwhistle passed away, I kind of suggested that the surviving members of The Beatles and the surviving members of The Who could have made a great band. You got two songwriters who might have worked well together. A drummer, a keyboard guy, decent vocalists. (Although Daltry is a little rough these days.) This was in 2002. Think of the albums they could have made.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Keeping everything else the same(songs, style etc). I've always said that Led Zeppelin would be better with Roger Dawltry fronting them. I love Robert Plant, but I think Roger has a stronger, clearer, more powerful voice and more control over his voice than Plant.
For all I know, it might not work, the tone of Roger's voice may very well not jive with the sound the band makes, but I'd love to hear it.

(FWIW, I saw the Page/Crowes show years ago. Chris sounded perfect doing the old Zeppelin songs, but his voice is somewhat similar to Plant's)
Old 10-06-2019, 10:27 PM

Bill Bruford (Yes) - Carl Palmer (ELP)
Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) - Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) - Dennis De Young (Styx)
The Edge (U2) - Andy Summers (The Police)
Old 10-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

If you look at the history of rock groups. they pretty much traded (although a more accurate term might be "stole") personnel all over the place. Moby Grape was an opening act for Jefferson Airplane. The next thing you know, Grace Slick was a member of Jefferson Airplane. Two members of The Mugwumps went to The Mamas and The Papas, while the other two went to the Lovin' Spoonful. Peter Frampton was a session musician with Jerry Lee Lewis and John Entwhistle, while at the same time a member of Humble Pie. Billy Preston and Eric Clapton were late-season pickups for the Beatles (Preston got a World Series share, Clapton didn't.)

Last edited by Kent Clark; 10-06-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ají de Gallina View Post
Bill Bruford (Yes) - Carl Palmer (ELP)
Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) - Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) - Dennis De Young (Styx)
The Edge (U2) - Andy Summers (The Police)
These are kind of interesting to me.

In the first, I think Bill Bruford works out better in either case. But I'm just not a fan of Carl Palmer, so I'm biased.

The second is tough to imagine. But I'd be curious to hear what Lennon-Wilson might do. I somehow don't think the chemistry would be there. But if I were playing an "alternate universe" game where I can swap out musicians, this is a combo I definitely would give a try to, just to see. But I think Brian is one of those (mostly) singular forces in music where he needs to be the visionary in the band.

Hodgson v DeYoung I think is a wash, but I'm not as intimate with Supertramp to make an argument.

Edge swapped with Summers. Wow. Two very different approaches to guitar. Another case where I can't imaging one band with the other, but would be curious to hear in an alternate universe sort of way.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:15 PM

If Diana Ross had fronted Motorhead and Lemmy taken over the Supremes, that might've shaken things up a bit.

A better question might be "What impact did it have WHEN this happened..." Was Pearl Jam better off without Dave Abbruzese? Did Ian Stewart really need to be ejected from a band full of piss-ugly Stones? Where is Pat Smear spreading his special brand of sunshine now?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Where is Pat Smear spreading his special brand of sunshine now?
I'm only a casual follower of Nirvana/FF, but I believe he's technically with the Foo Fighters right now, though he seems to pop in and out of Dave's life.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Fixed title-- It was disorienting to me, too.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
If you look at the history of rock groups. they pretty much traded (although a more accurate term might be "stole") personnel all over the place. Moby Grape was an opening act for Jefferson Airplane. The next thing you know, Grace Slick was a member of Jefferson Airplane. Two members of The Mugwumps went to The Mamas and The Papas, while the other two went to the Lovin' Spoonful. Peter Frampton was a session musician with Jerry Lee Lewis and John Entwhistle, while at the same time a member of Humble Pie. Billy Preston and Eric Clapton were late-season pickups for the Beatles (Preston got a World Series share, Clapton didn't.)
Now I'm confused. Skip Spence was with Jefferson Airplane and was kicked out after the first album. He went on to become part of Moby Grape. What does Grace Slick have to do with Moby Grape?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
The trade that was actually considered was Neil Young of the Springfield in a swap for Peter Lewis of the Grape. This is after Neils songs were not so successful and Stills had a big commercial song.

Does your Jefferson story make more sense with Skip Spence in it?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Now I'm confused. Skip Spence was with Jefferson Airplane and was kicked out after the first album. He went on to become part of Moby Grape. What does Grace Slick have to do with Moby Grape?
My mistake. I should have written The Great Society.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
If Diana Ross had fronted Motorhead and Lemmy taken over the Supremes, that might've shaken things up a bit.
LOL.

You and I are on the same page. I was thinking about Boy George and Ted Nugent (or Alice Cooper) swapping bands and songs.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Not exactly a trade but after George Harrison and John Entwhistle passed away, I kind of suggested that the surviving members of The Beatles and the surviving members of The Who could have made a great band. You got two songwriters who might have worked well together. A drummer, a keyboard guy, decent vocalists. (Although Daltry is a little rough these days.) This was in 2002. Think of the albums they could have made.
I saw The Who at the Garden a few months ago, and Roger sounded better than he had in a long time. And their touring drummer is Zak Starkey, aka Ringo Jr., so there is a bit of crossover there.

I can’t imagine Pete and Paul working well together. For some reason, I imagine Pete would end up declaring Paul a “wanker,” and Roger would want to punch Paul to drive the point home, but refrain because in 1967 he promised he’d stop punching people. Meanwhile, Ringo would just sit there being glad that somebody had the guts to call Sir Paul a wanker to his face.

(Note that I have no personal opinion on the matter of whether Paul McCartney is a wanker or not.)
Old 10-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Neil Peart has retired. Ringo needs a band....
Old 10-09-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Neil Peart has retired. Ringo needs a band....
You laugh, but I've always wondered how Rush would have sounded with a more conventional bassist or drummer. I enjoy individual Rush songs but they get tiring to listen to after a while because of all the showy playing. Having a rhythm section player who is loud but keeps more of a straight beat I think would make their sound more accessable.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
You laugh, but I've always wondered how Rush would have sounded with a more conventional bassist or drummer. I enjoy individual Rush songs but they get tiring to listen to after a while because of all the showy playing. Having a rhythm section player who is loud but keeps more of a straight beat I think would make their sound more accessable.
You mean, make them sound like every other band out there? If you want to hear Rush without Neal, listen to their first album.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Not exactly an answer, but I did get to thinking about The Eagles taking on Joe Walsh. Good draft choice. I wish that some band had taken on Leslie West, as I really enjoy his playing.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Not exactly an answer, but I did get to thinking about The Eagles taking on Joe Walsh. Good draft choice. I wish that some band had taken on Leslie West, as I really enjoy his playing.
I felt the same way about Ron Wood coming from The Faces to The Stones. Good draft choice.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
That band was "Triumph", right?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Quite the contrary!

Eagles is an excellent example, since they had Bernie Leadon, Jack Tempchkin, and Randy Meisner taking turns and later stole Timothy B Schmidt from the Coral Reefer Band and Joe from The James Gang.

For that matter, it's interesting to see the revolving line-ups of Santana or Deep Purple as various experts added their influences and then split off to form other bands and then came back.

Deep Purple begat Rainbow which spun out Dio which led to....?

Santana gave a break to Schon who split and formed Golden Gate Rhythm Section which became Journey which lost Greg Rollie and pulled Jonathan Cain from The Babys, forcing John Waite to go solo but then they reunited with him as Bad English while pulling Dean Castronovo from Hardline and later Schon and Rollie joined back with Carlos Santana to experiment with Abraxis Pool and....

And YES has their own double-convoluted history of unions and reunions and so on...

In other words, it happens all the time.

--G!

Last edited by Grestarian; 10-14-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
That band was "Triumph", right?
And Triumph was solid for a minute.

I've often thought about Paul and John trading Linda and Yoko (as performers, not lovers). I think it'd have been a wash though.