Old 05-30-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
My guess is that they're referring to the client list, that is the list of corporations and individuals that are already clients of that law firm. I don't think law firms will pursue a case against someone who already has them on retainer, or which they represent.
That sounds like the only reasonable answer. Anything else makes me think of contrails, black helicopters, the Illuminati, etc.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:37 AM
Charter Member

It could be both, you know.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Case in point: Geoffrey Irwin Dormer.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I don’t suppose you could elaborate?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Hell no! That would risk my getting listed and black helicoptered like Dormer.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

It's just that a Google search on that name results in "No results found for 'Geoffrey Irwin Dormer'." Not very helpful as a "case in point" if no one has any idea what you are referring to.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:36 PM

The Illuminati must have done a very good job.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 PM

A lot of these answers seem to be getting off topic. Yes "the list" could refer to a client list where there is a conflict of interest because the law firm is representing the business to be sued in some other matter.

In my limited experience dealing with attorneys, "the list" may also refer to a plaintiff that is notorious for their litigation/litigation defense. For example, I have heard anecdotally, that people attempt to sue Disney all the time for things like "slip and fall" cases at their theme parks. A personal injury attorney might normally take such a case on a contingent basis against a large retailer, who may settle rather than going to court, because the cost of litigation exceeds the amount they could settle for. Disney will supposed lose money fighting such a case to send a message to would-be attorneys that they will fight these cases tooth and nail. Thus, they are on a proverbial "list" of people not to sue. Presumably a personal injury attorney will research past "slip and fall" cases in various legal databases against Disney, see the poor success rate, and decide their odds of winning aren't worth it.

I have also heard anecdotally that IBM is a notorious patent troll. They patent even vague ideas and have experienced patent attorneys on staff who know how to get these pushed through the USPTO. Then if someone really does develop a technology for time travel, or something of that nature, IBM gets to swoop in and get them to purchase a license for their patent, or else gets tied up in expensive litigation that a small inventor cannot afford. I assume IBM is on an informal patent troll "list" that can be easily researched on the USPTO website of patent holders.

And yes, I am aware "anecdotes do not equal data", but if an individual worker makes a claim of an injury, and goes to a local personal injury attorney, I can only assume that step 1 in the attorney handbook is A) how bad is the injury such that a jury would award damages? and B) how likely is it that this company will defend itself against my litigation? If a person is punched and it left a bruise, unless it was significant and they lost work, or numerous people reported it to HR and nothing was done about it, it might not pass that first step.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarster View Post
A lot of these answers seem to be getting off topic. Yes "the list" could refer to a client list where there is a conflict of interest because the law firm is representing the business to be sued in some other matter....

And yes, I am aware "anecdotes do not equal data", but if an individual worker makes a claim of an injury, and goes to a local personal injury attorney, I can only assume that step 1 in the attorney handbook is A) how bad is the injury such that a jury would award damages? and B) how likely is it that this company will defend itself against my litigation? If a person is punched and it left a bruise, unless it was significant and they lost work, or numerous people reported it to HR and nothing was done about it, it might not pass that first step.
Yes, Muffin hjiacked the thread in post 7.

However, The plural of anecdote is data. Everyone gets that wrong.
http://blog.danwin.com/don-t-forget-...cdote-is-data/

Nelson W. Polsby PS, Vol. 17, No. 4. (Autumn, 1984), pp. 778-781. Pg. 779: Raymond Wolfinger’s brilliant aphorism “the plural of anecdote is data” never inspired a better or more skilled researcher.

I e-mailed Wolfinger last year and got the following response from him:

“I said ‘The plural of anecdote is data’ some time in the 1969-70 academic year while teaching a graduate seminar at Stanford. The occasion was a student’s dismissal of a simple factual statement–by another student or me–as a mere anecdote. The quotation was my rejoinder. Since then I have missed few opportunities to quote myself. The only appearance in print that I can remember is Nelson Polsby’s accurate quotation and attribution in an article in PS: Political Science and Politics in 1993; I believe it was in the first issue of the year.”

I also e-mailed Polsby, who didn’t know of any early printed occurrences.

What is interesting about this saying is that it seems to have morphed into its opposite – “Data is not the plural of anecdote” – in some people’s minds. Mark Mandel used it in this opposite sense in a private e-mail to me, for example.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Muffin, if you don't want to elaborate, why did you bring up whoever-the-heck that is in the first place? Right now, that post is completely nonsensical.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM

I'm a legal secretary in the real estate department of a large law firm in Silicon Valley. Big real estate clients who own land and big tech clients who want to lease space both come to us, and with land in this valley so limited, we will often run into a conflict of interest.

I've prepared hundreds of conflict waivers which must be signed by both clients. The waiver states, essentially, that even though we've represented the other party in the past, that past representation has nothing to do with the present work and no one is going to exchange information to the current client's detriment.

We'd have way less business if we weren't able to do this.