Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
They spent two weeks looking into it, got nowhere, and reported the facts for their readers to fill in the blanks. Which we have every right to do if a politician is hiding something and resorted to illegal actions to cover it up.
Do we know that she is hiding something and resorted to illegal actions to cover it up?
  #152  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:27 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
She's 100% hiding stuff, she's gone to a LOT of trouble. It's one thing to just not answer questions. It's another to make your family clam up and delete old social media.

As for illegal actions, the whole rationale for the Star Tribune to look into the story was false tax records and improper use of campaign funds to correct them. Along with the lies that the paper reported that she didn't know about any of it, blaming her staff, and an old staffmember pushing back hard, saying she approved everything.
  #153  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:30 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You seem overly concerned by this. Perhaps you should consider that she, and her family, have simply learned the lesson of Birtherism alluded to above: There's no point in addressing these claims, even with factual information backed up by evidence, because that will have literally no impact on the people who believe and/or promote these theories. In fact, any answers they do give will simply be subjected to further bullshit analysis, thus doing nothing more than providing fuel for the fire.

The only way to win is not to play.

Sure, that sucks for people who actually appreciate the value of facts and evidence, but this is the world we live in, where a straight-up conspiracy theorist has enough real-world support that he ended up being elected president.
Except she's losing. Fact check sites have all pointed out the unanswered questions and the great effort to cover something up. Birtherism was nothing. His US birth was proven and his opponents just kept moving the goalposts. By contrast, this is an issue she could clear up very easily and the Star Tribune has asked very reasonable for easily available documents, which she has(she whipped her phone out to show a reporter), but won't provide. Obama actually had to find his long form birth certificate by accident, he wasn't trying to avoid releasing it.
  #154  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:30 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Obama hid the evidence of his Kenya birth the same way.

Did you ever consider the possibility that the media have dropped the story because there's nothing there?
  #155  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:32 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Oh, they found plenty, that's why the story's kind of long and the fact checks all go into great detail. Basically 10-20 paragraphs detailing how the information would be easily obtainable if people would talk, but no one wants to talk. Now YOU may be uncurious about why that is, but the rest of us are free to speculate if she won't talk. And you have the right to whine about it.
  #156  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:35 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
That story does show how thoroughly they looked, only to find there's nothing there.

You can speculate all you like about why she isn't willing to dignify this nonsense with a reply, but the rest of us already understand how the politics of personal destruction works. The only question is why you're such a willing pawn in it.
  #157  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:38 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
this is an issue she could clear up very easily and the Star Tribune has asked very reasonable for easily available documents,
Like a birth certificate?

Fuck that shit. The Birthers have poisoned the well on this stuff. No. Just no.

No "easy to provide" private documents to disprove nonsense. You claim something? YOU provide the evidence.
  #158  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:40 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
She's 100% hiding stuff, she's gone to a LOT of trouble. It's one thing to just not answer questions. It's another to make your family clam up and delete old social media.

As for illegal actions, the whole rationale for the Star Tribune to look into the story was false tax records and improper use of campaign funds to correct them. Along with the lies that the paper reported that she didn't know about any of it, blaming her staff, and an old staffmember pushing back hard, saying she approved everything.
This sounds like the kind of "hiding stuff" that almost every human I've ever met has done. I've deleted social media posts. Am I "hiding stuff"?

Giving conspiracy theories air feeds them. Even when there's a good explanation or good answer. There's no putting this stuff to rest when it comes to the internet. Her best play, whatever is in her past, is to ignore it, barring actual evidence of wrongdoing (beyond the tax thing which she already admitted and apologized for).
  #159  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:46 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Like a birth certificate?

Fuck that shit. The Birthers have poisoned the well on this stuff. No. Just no.

No "easy to provide" private documents to disprove nonsense. You claim something? YOU provide the evidence.
She lived with both men. There was communication between the other husband and her when she said there wasn't. She improperly filed her tax returns. She improperly used campaign funds to correct them.

That's the evidence that we know. The rest can't be found out because people refuse to talk and evidence was deleted. So if you want to believe that's all innocent, you're free to do so. Not sure many will take you seriously outside the bubble of this board though.
  #160  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:48 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
This sounds like the kind of "hiding stuff" that almost every human I've ever met has done. I've deleted social media posts. Am I "hiding stuff"?

Giving conspiracy theories air feeds them. Even when there's a good explanation or good answer. There's no putting this stuff to rest when it comes to the internet. Her best play, whatever is in her past, is to ignore it, barring actual evidence of wrongdoing (beyond the tax thing which she already admitted and apologized for).
Without explaining it except with another lie: "it was my staff's fault". So the Star Tribune found a staffer willing to talk and she said Omar was very much in charge of that stuff.

If you delete social media posts because the media has become interested in something and is looking at your social media, oh yeah, you're doing it to hide something.
  #161  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
And therefore she must have married her brother and violated immigration laws. Gotcha.

Even if all that were true, your evaluation of it would still be pretty damn sad.
  #162  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
She lived with both men.
We don't know that. All we know (maybe) is something about a reported address. That could be a visit, a mailbox only, a mistake, or something else.

Quote:
There was communication between the other husband and her when she said there wasn't.
We also don't know this. Let's see a cite for what you're trying to say here.

Quote:
She improperly filed her tax returns. She improperly used campaign funds to correct them.
I heard about the tax stuff, but let's see a cite for misuse of campaign funds.

Quote:
That's the evidence that we know. The rest can't be found out because people refuse to talk and evidence was deleted. So if you want to believe that's all innocent, you're free to do so. Not sure many will take you seriously outside the bubble of this board though.
We don't know most of this, and your claims so far are uncited.
  #163  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:50 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
She lived with both men. There was communication between the other husband and her when she said there wasn't.
Hold on. She lived with men she was married to? And she talked to her husband? You are right, that does break the case wide open!
  #164  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:51 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
she lived with both men. There was communication between the other husband and her when she said there wasn't. She improperly filed her tax returns. She improperly used campaign funds to correct them.

That's the evidence that we know. The rest can't be found out because people refuse to talk and evidence was deleted. So if you want to believe that's all innocent, you're free to do so. Not sure many will take you seriously outside the bubble of this board though.
In other words, this is what you hear from the "left" on this board:

"NO EVIDENCE! NO COLLUSION!"

Fascinating....

Last edited by JohnT; 07-24-2019 at 03:52 PM.
  #165  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:53 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I heard about the tax stuff, but let's see a cite for misuse of campaign funds.
This part is true.

She had to pay back a whopping, are you ready for this, $3500!!!!!!!!!! And pay a HUGE fine of $500. I've never seen such a level of misuse of campaign funds before.
  #166  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:58 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
See, I'm the one who is wrong, even though what most of you are doing is just ignoring evidence and downplaying the wrongdoing. Which admittedly is minor stuff, but as the Star Tribune has pointed out, was more than enough justification for them to investigate. What they found was deception and a code of silence, so of course SDMB's liberals interpret that in the most innocent way possible. Just as right-wingers interpret it in the worst way possible.
  #167  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:03 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
See, I'm the one who is wrong, even though what most of you are doing is just ignoring evidence and downplaying the wrongdoing. Which admittedly is minor stuff, but as the Star Tribune has pointed out, was more than enough justification for them to investigate. What they found was deception and a code of silence, so of course SDMB's liberals interpret that in the most innocent way possible. Just as right-wingers interpret it in the worst way possible.
Come on, man. One of the pieces of hard-hitting investigative fact-finding is this (from the politifact site earlier): "It seemed clear that there is some kind of personal relationship between Omar and Elmi."
  #168  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:04 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
See, I'm the one who is wrong, even though what most of you are doing is just ignoring evidence and downplaying the wrongdoing. Which admittedly is minor stuff, but as the Star Tribune has pointed out, was more than enough justification for them to investigate. What they found was deception and a code of silence, so of course SDMB's liberals interpret that in the most innocent way possible. Just as right-wingers interpret it in the worst way possible.
I'm not interpreting it at all, because aside from what she's already admitted to and apologized for, there's nothing to interpret. Just rumor and innuendo.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #169  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:06 PM
Airbeck is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
See, I'm the one who is wrong, even though what most of you are doing is just ignoring evidence and downplaying the wrongdoing. Which admittedly is minor stuff, but as the Star Tribune has pointed out, was more than enough justification for them to investigate. What they found was deception and a code of silence, so of course SDMB's liberals interpret that in the most innocent way possible. Just as right-wingers interpret it in the worst way possible.
And what are you doing? Just asking questions? Being the unbiased voice of reason? Please...
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by Airbeck; 07-24-2019 at 04:06 PM.
  #170  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:09 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
She lived with both men. There was communication between the other husband and her when she said there wasn't. She improperly filed her tax returns. She improperly used campaign funds to correct them.

That's the evidence that we know.
I'm sorry, do you have evidence that she fucked her brother or not?
  #171  
Old 07-24-2019, 04:11 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I'm sorry, do you have evidence that she fucked her brother or not?
I've read that someone on Twitter saw a Facebook picture of a screen capture of a PornHub video showing two people fucking.

But it's been mysteriously wiped clean! Acid washed even.
  #172  
Old 07-24-2019, 05:06 PM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,110
Wait. Pictures of people fucking on the internet? When did this happen?
__________________
Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
  #173  
Old 07-24-2019, 05:10 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Wait. Pictures of people fucking on the internet? When did this happen?
October 29th, 1969, I think.
  #174  
Old 07-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,320
Keep in mind who you are arguing with now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
I looked it up, and I got fooled by the Birthers:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may...igner-20120529

Last edited by Lance Turbo; 07-24-2019 at 05:21 PM.
  #175  
Old 07-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,232
This is a curious thread. Seems like the outcome of this will be decided by the voters in Minnesota in 2020. Does the Minneapolis Star Tribune and its writing have influence on Minnesota voters?

Will there be a potential Democratic challenger to 5th Congressional district in Minnesota?
  #176  
Old 07-24-2019, 06:34 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,320
It's already been decided by the voters. Twice. This story goes back to when she was running for the MN State House in 2016.

Here's her 2016 statement that should have been the end of it.
  #177  
Old 07-24-2019, 11:21 PM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I'm not interpreting it at all, because aside from what she's already admitted to and apologized for, there's nothing to interpret. Just rumor and innuendo.


Yeah, this. None of the people who keep bringing this up give a shit about the incredibly minor tax issues. This is purely about wanting people to keep talking about how she fucked her brother, as a purely racist attempt to smear her as "one of those godless Muslim Heathens".
  #178  
Old 07-25-2019, 12:06 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,473
You know, I’ve posed for lots of Facebook photos with my nephew’s wife that are captioned with some variation of “Me and my awesome SISTER Amanda at some event or family function.” I’ve never worried about it before, but I hope someone doesn’t start spreading rumors that my nephew married one of his aunts.

It’s a thing that women do all the time. I’ve got other “sisters” that aren’t a biological relatives at all. But, for me and other women I know, it’s especially common to call women that have married into your family (like maybe your husband’s sisters) “sister”. Because it makes them feel fully welcome.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 07-25-2019 at 12:07 AM.
  #179  
Old 07-25-2019, 07:07 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,606
Heck, I see lots of wedding reception photos with "Brother Jones married Sister Smith", etc. Oddly enough, I don't think it's reasonable to think all of the people in the pictures are actually brothers and sisters.
  #180  
Old 07-25-2019, 07:48 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
This is a curious thread. Seems like the outcome of this will be decided by the voters in Minnesota in 2020. Does the Minneapolis Star Tribune and its writing have influence on Minnesota voters?

Will there be a potential Democratic challenger to 5th Congressional district in Minnesota?
The purpose of raising Omar's profile isn't just to unseat her; in fact Republicans might not have a problem with her winning re-election. The idea isn't to make Omar weak; it's to make Democrats look like the party of "people who ain't like us REAL 'Merikuns"
  #181  
Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
It's already been decided by the voters. Twice. This story goes back to when she was running for the MN State House in 2016.

Here's her 2016 statement that should have been the end of it.
That statement seems pretty conclusive - any comment from the OP? Or the others JAQing around the issue?

Last edited by Folacin; 07-25-2019 at 09:20 AM.
  #182  
Old 07-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Superdude's Avatar
Superdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The purpose of raising Omar's profile isn't just to unseat her; in fact Republicans might not have a problem with her winning re-election. The idea isn't to make Omar weak; it's to make Democrats look like the party of "people who ain't like us REAL 'Merikuns"
Well, her Republican challenger, Danielle Stella, has had legal problems, including felony theft charges, including allegedly stealing 279 items totaling over $2000 in one day from a Minnesota Target.

That may make a difference, post-primary.
__________________
I can't help being a gorgeous fiend. It's just the card I drew.
  #183  
Old 07-25-2019, 05:36 PM
wguy123 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Well, her Republican challenger, Danielle Stella, has had legal problems, including felony theft charges, including allegedly stealing 279 items totaling over $2000 in one day from a Minnesota Target.

That may make a difference, post-primary.
Doesn't matter: White and Republican. IOKWARDI
  #184  
Old 07-25-2019, 05:55 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Well, her Republican challenger, Danielle Stella, has had legal problems, including felony theft charges, including allegedly stealing 279 items totaling over $2000 in one day from a Minnesota Target.

That may make a difference, post-primary.
Her Republican challenger is a crazy person with zero chance.

Omar beat a relatively non-lunatic Republican by 56 points in 2018.
  #185  
Old 07-25-2019, 06:05 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Her Republican challenger is a crazy person with zero chance.
Her chance depends on how many QAnon believers are in the district.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-25-2019 at 06:06 PM.
  #186  
Old 07-25-2019, 06:45 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Well, her Republican challenger, Danielle Stella, has had legal problems, including felony theft charges, including allegedly stealing 279 items totaling over $2000 in one day from a Minnesota Target.

That may make a difference, post-primary.
Like I said, I don't think she's necessarily in any danger of losing her district; it's intended to alienate middle-of-the-road Democrats who may not want to identify with a Democratic party that's run by "foreigners" who "marry" their relatives. There's a bigger picture here to think about.

Last edited by asahi; 07-25-2019 at 06:46 PM.
  #187  
Old 07-25-2019, 08:53 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 30,083
Adaher is back? Or did he never leave and I just didn't notice?
  #188  
Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Won't make a damned bit of difference. She is NOT going to be primaried out of a job and there is zero chance that she loses the election.

Democrats have held the seat since 1963.

The lowest winning margin was Keith Ellison's first election in 2006, where he won 56-22, or by 34 points.

Omar won her first election 78-21.7, or by a 56.3% margin.

The other Republican already announced is attempting to run as a "bipartisan" MODERATE Republican and by not mentioning Trump at all (so far). The only question, assuming he wins the nomination, will be if he breaks that 22% threshold.

The better question will be; will he wilt and become a Trumper once the national party and Trump turn their attention on him and start hitting him for NOT being a rabid Trump supporter. Or will they just write him off?

Last edited by Chimera; 07-25-2019 at 10:32 PM.
  #189  
Old 07-26-2019, 12:52 AM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
'Merikuns"
oh - wait a sec - forget it. Didn't see the "i".

Anyway, this has been a wonderful brotherfucking thread.
  #190  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:13 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Won't make a damned bit of difference. She is NOT going to be primaried out of a job and there is zero chance that she loses the election.

Democrats have held the seat since 1963.

The lowest winning margin was Keith Ellison's first election in 2006, where he won 56-22, or by 34 points.

Omar won her first election 78-21.7, or by a 56.3% margin.

The other Republican already announced is attempting to run as a "bipartisan" MODERATE Republican and by not mentioning Trump at all (so far). The only question, assuming he wins the nomination, will be if he breaks that 22% threshold.

The better question will be; will he wilt and become a Trumper once the national party and Trump turn their attention on him and start hitting him for NOT being a rabid Trump supporter. Or will they just write him off?
Again, the attacks on Omar aren't intended to unseat her; in fact they're actually more effective if she wins. These scurrilous attacks are intended to characterize the entire Democratic party as the party dominated by wacky brown people. Trump isn't trying to win a Minnesota congressional district; he's trying to get re-elected in a national election, and he's trying to win white state by white state.

Last edited by asahi; 07-26-2019 at 01:14 AM.
  #191  
Old 07-29-2019, 08:36 PM
KellyCriterion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 922
Are people suggesting Omar had sex with her brother? I thought the allegation was she married him to obtain some kind of benefit (easier migration for a family member, financial benefit, etc).

*I have no idea if Omar married her brother.
  #192  
Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCriterion View Post
Are people suggesting Omar had sex with her brother? I thought the allegation was she married him to obtain some kind of benefit (easier migration for a family member, financial benefit, etc).

*I have no idea if Omar married her brother.
To my knowledge no one is explicitly saying this, but I think it is clear that they are hoping that certain people will draw that conclusion. Specifically those who assume that those heathens from s***hole are prone to all sorts of deviant practices.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 07-29-2019 at 09:02 PM.
  #193  
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,846
Yeah, it's a double slander. The actual intent is to accuse her of incest, and a lot of the Twitter crowd are repeating it with that interpretation. The excuse (once you realize that's absurd) is that what they "really" meant was that she committed immigration fraud, somehow, by "marrying" her brother.

Neither claim is true; neither claim is even credible. But making two outrageous claims at once allows some of these trolls to jump from whichever claim you're disproving that second to the other one, and then, when you shoot the second claim down three seconds later, to jump back. It's whack-a-mole slander. The idea is to get the idea that Ilhan is a creepy liar in the audience's head, by being a creepy liar oneself & then hoping the listener's brain moves that emotional judgment onto the named person in this story, Ilhan.

That's why this kind of FUD (fear, uncertainty, & doubt) operation is more effective coming from multiple faceless internet clown, btw. If you heard it from your weird co-worker, when your brain would scramble it later, you'd think weird co-worker married a sibling. But faceless internet clowns you don't know don't exist as a named character in your head, so the sense of creepiness attaches to your mental image of Ilhan.

Note that it's Ilhan, the hijabi, who gets this treatment; not Rashida Tlaib, not Pramila Jayapal, but the one with the foreign modesty standards who seems relatively "alien."

Last edited by foolsguinea; 07-29-2019 at 09:51 PM.
  #194  
Old 07-30-2019, 03:03 AM
Rayks Marcial is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 90
Crowd: "Send her back!"
POTUS after the caucus: "It was quite a chant."

  #195  
Old 07-30-2019, 03:24 AM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
To my knowledge no one is explicitly saying this, but I think it is clear that they are hoping that certain people will draw that conclusion. Specifically those who assume that those heathens from s***hole are prone to all sorts of deviant practices.
Not much behind this board in thinking then..
  #196  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:09 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,968
Speaking of which... ten days later and the post count for the OP still stands at 1.
  #197  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 AM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Speaking of which... ten days later and the post count for the OP still stands at 1.
Last activity: Yesterday 2:33am

(Pacific time)
  #198  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:19 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,968
Well I for one am so pleased s/he felt moved to de-lurk one time after twenty-two months to bring this important issue to our attention.

Last edited by Gyrate; 07-30-2019 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Don't know what year it is
  #199  
Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCriterion View Post
Are people suggesting Omar had sex with her brother? I thought the allegation was she married him to obtain some kind of benefit (easier migration for a family member, financial benefit, etc).

*I have no idea if Omar married her brother.
How about it. If she married him, that's when the sex would have stopped! *rimshot*
  #200  
Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,718
Twitler must have creamed his golf pants when he stumbled across the referenced story on Fox and Friends this morning:

Quote:
Somali refugees arresed [sic] in Tucson on way to Egypt. They were in touch with an agent posing as a terrorist. One of them stated, “The best wake up call is Islamic State to get victory or another 9/11.” Get smart people! #MAGA #KAG @foxandfriends
Somalis and muslims. Dang, now if he could have somehow tied in Rep. Omar. So close!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017