Old 08-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Funny meta joke in today's Judge Parker

Strip for Sunday August 11, 2019:

https://www.oregonlive.com/comics-ki...d=Judge_Parker

To explain if necessary, "Judge Parker" is one of those perennial strips that use semi-realistically drawn characters, like "Mary Worth" or "Mark Trail". However because the artists have a limited repertoire of drawing faces, most of the characters- especially females- are almost Betty-and-Veronica in their resemblance except for superficial details. When this arc introduced Agent Strand I was wondering how they'd be able to have her and April in the same panel. A2A.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:23 PM

The link didn't work for me, so here's the comic at another link.

Thank you for sharing, Lumpy. Hilarious!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Well, thanks for pointing that out, I guess it's amusing. But your assertion that "they all look alike" seems vaguely real-worldist, if that's a word.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:35 PM

Oh, be sure to click back a day to Saturday's strip. Voila, there's his daughter!
Drawn almost the same as Agent Strand.

This hits too close to home. Every woman I draw looks similar.
Comes from drawing nothing but superheroes back in the 60s (when they were almost all boys).
Old 08-11-2019, 10:47 PM

So we can be sure this is actually "meta" and not possibly part of the plot? The agent isn't going to turn out to be his daughter's secret twin or something?
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
This hits too close to home. Every woman I draw looks similar.
Comes from drawing nothing but superheroes back in the 60s (when they were almost all boys).
John Byrne admits he has the same problem.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Was the link supposed to go to the August 11th Sunday strip? It's going to the same day strip.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Was the link supposed to go to the August 11th Sunday strip? It's going to the same day strip.
Yeah, read the Sunday strip.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Permalink to Sunday's strip.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

They should rename the strip "Toxic Troubles". One kid gets kidnapped and presumed dead, her older sister starts up a business that is swallowed up by a sinkhole, her movie star best friend abandons her as the business is disappearing(literally), a major character marries a woman who turns out to be a spy with a "Red Reddington" type of father who gets the title character involved in illegal hijinks that put him in jail....and that's just some of the plot points from the last year and a half. At least Mary Worth has the occasional happy ending.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

FYI: The same guy, Francesco Marciuliano, writes both Judge Parker and Sally Forth.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Wait, really? That's even more mind-blowing than when I learned that the same guy does Zits and Baby Blues.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Sometimes it can be hard to find the permalink for that day's strip when you post on that day. I've noticed it on many comics, mostly print comics.

That said with one webcomic, I actually have a script that changes the URL to include the date, just so I can bookmark it, without it bookmarking "current comic."

It's just a common blindspot.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
So we can be sure this is actually "meta" and not possibly part of the plot? The agent isn't going to turn out to be his daughter's secret twin or something?
That sort of twist is possible, I suppose. I wouldn't put anything past Marciuliano at this point (Judge Parker has gotten really weird since he took over). But I do suspect that it really is just a bit of an in-joke. It's fairly well-known that Marciuliano reads the comments on the strip, and a lot of people have been remarking for some time that "Agent Strand" looks a lot like April, to the point that it's difficult to tell them apart.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM

Francesco Marciuliano also writes and draws the strip Medium Large, so that kind of meta-humor is solidly within his wheelhouse.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth BigT:

Sometimes it can be hard to find the permalink for that day's strip when you post on that day. I've noticed it on many comics, mostly print comics.
In that situation, if there isn't an obvious permanent URL on the comic's page itself, I'll hit the "previous" button. The URL for that will usually include either a serial number or an obvious-format date, which makes it easy to figure out what today's link would be.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
They should rename the strip "Toxic Troubles". One kid gets kidnapped and presumed dead, her older sister starts up a business that is swallowed up by a sinkhole, her movie star best friend abandons her as the business is disappearing(literally), a major character marries a woman who turns out to be a spy with a "Red Reddington" type of father who gets the title character involved in illegal hijinks that put him in jail....and that's just some of the plot points from the last year and a half. At least Mary Worth has the occasional happy ending.
In fairness, a lot of those storylines were in motion before Francesco Marciuliano took over the strip. Although, as I recall, the sinkhole was his doing.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Francesco Marciuliano also writes and draws the strip Medium Large, so that kind of meta-humor is solidly within his wheelhouse.
And his books of poems by cats are quite good. I haven't read any of the dog ones so I can't comment on them.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Strip for Sunday August 11, 2019:

https://www.oregonlive.com/comics-ki...d=Judge_Parker

To explain if necessary, "Judge Parker" is one of those perennial strips that use semi-realistically drawn characters, like "Mary Worth" or "Mark Trail". However because the artists have a limited repertoire of drawing faces, most of the characters- especially females- are almost Betty-and-Veronica in their resemblance except for superficial details. When this arc introduced Agent Strand I was wondering how they'd be able to have her and April in the same panel. A2A.
Lumpy, may I ask, are you by chance "Uncle Lumpy" who periodically fills in over at Comics Curmudgeon?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
That sort of twist is possible, I suppose. I wouldn't put anything past Marciuliano at this point (Judge Parker has gotten really weird since he took over). But I do suspect that it really is just a bit of an in-joke. It's fairly well-known that Marciuliano reads the comments on the strip, and a lot of people have been remarking for some time that "Agent Strand" looks a lot like April, to the point that it's difficult to tell them apart.
He's breaking the fourth wall and addressing the elephant in the room.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonite View Post
Lumpy, may I ask, are you by chance "Uncle Lumpy" who periodically fills in over at Comics Curmudgeon?
Sorry, different guy.

Oh, and the following Sunday strip was sort of meta too:

"Jeez, no wonder your script's dialog rambles so much"

https://www.comicskingdom.com/judge-parker/2019-08-18